ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Basketball, 2016; Staffing & Asst. Coaches(CJP Interviews, AAU, Misc.)

Some quotes in CJP talking to Matt Winkeljohn:

That's who I am. I've been that way my whole life. I didn't go to my homecoming dance my senior year in high school. Instead, on that Saturday night I was in the gym to work out ..."

It wasn't possible to tell if Pastner was serious when he said former University of Arizona teammate Jason Terry is bugging him for a job. Terry, who played for the Atlanta Hawks from 1999-2004, now plays for the Houston Rockets.

"Otherwise, you're just hoping to get fifth-year transfers every year. That’s just a hard way to survive at this level ... But, again, people also have to understand [with] where we’re at it's going to take time. You've got to bear with us ...

"I still think we need to sign maybe one or two fifth-year guys just to hold us over. Not to contradict my statement – that’s not how we’re going to do it every year – but I do think for this year ... we probably need a guy or two to fill spots."

Hopefully he finds a transfer who is interested in GT. It doesn't need to be a 5th year guy, Several of the recent transfers have been multi year players.

Interesting comment about Jason Terry... Sounds like Pastner has a sense of humor.

Just have to be careful with a transfer taking up a 2017 schollie(which is a loaded, pivotal year for us in Ga.).
A Grad. Trf. can bridge the gap for 2016 only, which gives flexibility to open one back up in a year plus fills a need next season. For instance the best multi-year transfer is Barry. He's not coming here. Who would be left that is better than a 2017 Freshman stud?

Just have to be careful with a transfer taking up a 2017 schollie(which is a loaded, pivotal year for us in Ga.).
A Grad. Trf. can bridge the gap for 2016 only, which gives flexibility to open one back up in a year plus fills a need next season. For instance the best multi-year transfer is Barry. He's not coming here. Who would be left that is better than a 2017 Freshman stud?
What about Giddens?

He would sit a year, then have three left. On a 13 man roster ordinarily, the previous staff would have jumped on Giddens. It will be interesting to see what this staff of one does here. Is this young man better than what 2017 could bring us?

Yep, that's Pastner's decision for sure. I have not looked at the long term movement of the roster, but it does have a hole in it from last year.

Right now there are 3 Sr 4 Jr 1 So on the roster with 3 Fr LOIs and 2 open positions.

balanced by numbers except for SO class. those 2 open spots really need to go there. if he could find a player who would sit one and have 2 left to play, or a player with 3 years left who can play immediately that would help with the numbers. Ideally a player who can come in as a Freshman and leave for the NBA after 3 seasons.

I know you men are going to call me a CJP lover before this season starts(if you aren't already). I liked him back when he played for Lute and my dear old friend Jay M. who was a Penn. St. undergrad. and a Tech masters grad. and also Jewish, crammed Josh down my throat. So my trust in him is greater than most, despite what we have been through with this Tech program.

Here is an example of what he(CJP)put up with on his last job:

Those would be wise and solid additions indeed. One with strong ties to Philly, New England and the Mid Atlantic as well as 28 years coaching experience at the collegiate level. The other with very good ties to the local Atlanta scene and experience with coaching guys who are highly hyped/rated.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Not sure if he interviewed with CJP, or would be considered for the #3 A.C. position....Ga. St. A.C., Darryl "Link" LaBarrie? Rumors circulating about him, nothing I've heard from my contact....but with the difficulty of Atlanta traffic for our new coach(especially not being familiar with Marta or the hidden dangers), Pastner might have run into Link on Decatur St.

The rumors with Seth Greenburg, I don't believe. He is an avid golfer, enjoying what he is doing. No indication that he interviewed with CJP. Probably awaiting the right H.C. job, if any?

While I don't think there is any significant urgency that it has to happen today or this weekend, I am hoping we may hear some news today about the hiring of White and/or Flint. Or, any others.

I think the timing is right for some new faces to get in front of Romello White and his Mom as well as Josh Okogie. Not to mention, Charlie Moore, Mike Bibby, and any others (eg, grad transfers?) we are trying to woo for the immediate need of filling out our roster to be as competitive as possible for next season...and beyond of course.

Seth Greenberg rumors? Don't know where that's coming from. First I've heard of it. Whoever is rumoring that needs to put the crack pipe down.

Apologies for not spelling Greenberg correctly, but at least you figured out who it was.

Mom says the academic challenge should be cleared up on her son Mello by the end of May.

Christian Matthews keeps in touch with the other two and believes they want to be here with our Jackets. Josh probably wants to know who a few assistants will be, and who could blame him?

CJP was criticized for putting him on his staff at Memphis as a #3 A.C.
What the man did at Golden St. while filling in for Steve Kerr was a history book in the making, 39-4. Granted, talent goes a long way....

thanks for the update... Hope GT can make a splash with this announcement.

For it to be a "splash" we need an announcement to tell us when the announcement will be. And, preferably the assistants choosing a hat thing and at some famous locale like the Big Chicken or Cheetah.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT