ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Basketball, 2016; Staffing & Asst. Coaches(CJP Interviews, AAU, Misc.)

So much for the Lutz rumor. He has accepted a position in the AD's office at NC State.

Thank you for your faith in the Football Scout Team, since we haven't brought back the Basketball one since CBC. Go blue(not referring to sleazy Harbaugh)and now coached by BforLife!!

"Special Assistant to the Deputy Athletic Director for External Operations" sounds like a made up job title to me. I doubt they had to fire the old "Special Assistant to the Deputy Athletic Director for External Operations" to make room for Lutz. Sounds like a good gig!

Reactions: Buzzforlife
"Special Assistant to the Deputy Athletic Director for External Operations" sounds like a made up job title to me. I doubt they had to fire the old "Special Assistant to the Deputy Athletic Director for External Operations" to make room for Lutz. Sounds like a good gig!

It's a fancy way of saying he feeds the pigs out back.

Only bringing this story up because when it starts happening at our Tech, the masses will be pointing out how players were transferring out of the Memphis program with CJP(which is not totally fair with Graduate Transfers):

Satchel Pierce, a seldom-used, 7-foot center on the Virginia Tech men’s basketball team, is transferring from the program, he announced on Twitter on Tuesday night.
“This has been the hardest decision I’ve ever made,” Pierce posted, “but nonetheless, I’ve decided to leave Virginia Tech.”
Pierce thanked Tech fans for their support, wrote glowingly about the people he encountered at the school and said he doesn’t know where he’ll transfer to for next season. This year, he played 6.2 minutes game.
Pierce is the ninth player to leave the program since Williams was hired to replace James Johnson following the 2013-14 season.

I was thinking CJP would make at least one assistant hire before the dead period ends today. Upon closer review, this weekend is an evaluation period for certified events only, and almost all of the action will be at the Nike and UA tournaments in NYC. So while CJP will have his plate full this weekend, the logistics are favorable. Pastner did stress in his introductory presser that he would be deliberate in assembling a staff, and I'm taking that as a positive sign. In the meantime, our new coach is one busy guy.

Always remember the months of April and July. Those are pretty much the key months for evaluations as certified AAU and showcase events are open for college coaches to attend. This gets back to the post I provided recently regarding what really goes on this time of year at AAU events.

It is also why I put a hell of a lot more faith in hoops star rankings than football. Those handing out stars at the recruiting sites attend these events as well and have the ability to watch 5-stars play against other 5-stars head-to-head. That is something you don't see very much of in HS FB and the evaluations are very difficult. Most of the FB star providers aren't at college program camps where the coaches evaluate first hand, etc.

CJP says no golfing for his staff and himself... http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/201...requirement-for-assistant-coaches-no-golfing/

I wonder if this extends to bowling and badminton or ping pong? Pity the thought. RED WINE

I get a kick out of Pastner bragging about finishing his Family Studies degree in record time. If his goal was to get a Masters in Education during his 4 years playing basketball then it makes sense. I think it would be a better way to present it than bragging about his undergrad degree.

I didn't even know you were allowed to take 33 credit hours in one semester.

By time my son was a senior at UT-Knoxville, the Tennessee BOR and UT folks were considering mandating that an incoming freshman could not take more than 13 hours in a semester (read: $$$$$$$$...keep 'em in longer). That was in 2010 and I don't know if they ever passed that. I know there was tons of angry folks pushing back as you might expect.

To be fair, Ken S is the one that keeps bringing it up. It fit his storyline I guess.

To be fair, Ken S is the one that keeps bringing it up. It fit his storyline I guess.[/QUOTE]

Screw fair. Let's get angry.

Sarcasm

What is this thing supposed to mean? FAT CAT RUNNING

A couple of ideas...

1. It symbolizes CJP's work ethic. He says he doesn't drink coffee or consume caffeine. Imagine what he'd be like if he did. Says he doesn't drink alcohol. Maybe he should. Maybe he will after a year or two of dealing with our sour puss fans.

2. It is Mark Mangino running to a Chick Fil A...or to eat another child...perhaps both on the same trip.

Still trying to figure out what the hell this is...

backpedal

I get a kick out of Pastner bragging about finishing his Family Studies degree in record time. If his goal was to get a Masters in Education during his 4 years playing basketball then it makes sense. I think it would be a better way to present it than bragging about his undergrad degree.
Relax, he's building a program and using the media to get the word out about how unique we are and what we offer.

Relax, he's building a program and using the media to get the word out about how unique we are and what we offer.

I'm relaxed, thanks for your concern. I don't see how that gets any word out about GT's uniqueness or offerings but I am slow.

CJP says no golfing for his staff and himself... http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/201...requirement-for-assistant-coaches-no-golfing/

I wonder if this extends to bowling and badminton or ping pong? Pity the thought. RED WINE

No golf? I guess I can go ahead and scratch off my dark horse Tech-connected candidate, David Duval. Scratch Sir Charles off the list too, I suppose?

JPZG3-.gif

I'm relaxed, thanks for your concern. I don't see how that gets any word out about GT's uniqueness or offerings but I am slow.
You might pay attention to his 7 years in Memphis as their head coach. It explains the graduate in three years program set out. Very attractive at Tech where we have had athletes do things similarly, but needing summer semesters.

You might pay attention to his 7 years in Memphis as their head coach. It explains the graduate in three years program set out. Very attractive at Tech where we have had athletes do things similarly, but needing summer semesters.

There is nothing unique to GT about graduating early. Not one thing. It happens everywhere. It is one of the reasons for the graduate transfer explosion.

Now Golf Digest

"Does this qualify as employment discrimination? It's also highly misinformed; legendary coaches like Bobby Knight and Roy Williams are avid golfers, and they've combined for 115 NCAA tournament wins and 13 Final Fours.

Which, if we're counting, is 113 more wins and 13 more Final Fours than Pastner's accumulated in his career."

Hey coach, I'm gonna give you a little bit of free PR advice. Backpedal. Clarify with wtte - "We have a hell of a rebuilding job here at Georgia Tech and none of us are going to have much time for things like golf, bowling, and badminton. Ping pong maybe."

That's OK. No worries. The kids we are trying to recruit aren't reading Golf Digest.

That's OK. No worries. The kids we are trying to recruit aren't reading Golf Digest.

That's crazy talk! Who doesn't read Golf Digest?

backpedal

On a more serious note someone might want to introduce young Josh to Dr. Rice's Total Person Program.

On a more serious note someone might want to introduce young Josh to Dr. Rice's Total Person Program.

No doubt about it.

I thought the golf comments were good ones, trying to let everyone know that he doesn't expect much downtime. But with that said, there needs to be some planned time to recover and think strategically. Which I am sure was not an area he was refering.

I don't guess the basketball coaches have an equivalent of the golf tournament that Paul Johnson dominates every year?

I don't know why this comes up so often either. Maybe he thinks this is a positive for a group of alumni who take academics seriously.

Found a "G" rated video(well, except for having to look at the Bobber's stomach without his suit jacket on):

"Bringing the ball all the way down wastes an extra second on outlet passing for a fast break", and "dribble, dribble, dribble-giving the ball a headache, pass it".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT