ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Basketball, 2016; Staffing & Asst. Coaches(CJP Interviews, AAU, Misc.)

Excellent! Fun times with James ahead. My best buddy is tight with him. We will get "all the skinny".

What if Drew Barry will partake with an interest? Could it be mutual?

What connectivity does Drew Barry have to coaching, recruiting, AAU, etc.?

Just curious is all as I have no idea. I've seen him on TV some here and there. Otherwise, I dunno.

What connectivity does Drew Barry have to coaching, recruiting, AAU, etc.?

Just curious is all as I have no idea. I've seen him on TV some here and there. Otherwise, I dunno.

He has a real job and does some TV on the side. He attends some GT games. I don't know if he is active with AAU or similar stuff.

He is active. That is all I know. Why I said "partake with an interest"? In speaking with him at a game while standing in the aisle, he was happy with his job(didn't say "excited" though).

Multi-year transfers are accepted like Cullen Neal.

Recruit guys from HS, no relying on one-year transfers, hit Atlanta hard, use his relationships in Atlanta first.

Fast tempo, 50/50 on loose balls.

Memphis Staff, 2015-16:
Assistant coach Robert Kirby
Assistant coach Keelon Lawson
Assistant coach Damon Stoudamire(now at Pacific U.)

BRAD ANDERSON
Assistant Athletic Trainer

ERIC SEBASTIAN
Director of Basketball Operations

JULIAN SWARTZ
Director of Player Development

TYLER BENSON
Video Coordinator

MIKE EKANEM
Special Assistant

RYAN MCPHAIL
Equipment Manager

Last edited:
I was joking about Kobi's dad because of discussion in the post season thread about that topic. I have seen talk that the hiring of Cabral Huff could possibly put Kobi in play.

CJP Timeline:
Couldn't get the link to download. He was involved at 13 in publishing basketball scouting reports, AAU coaching for his Dad Hal when 16 y.o.

1996- Enrolls at the University of Arizona as a walk-on for the basketball team.
1998- Fellow Arizona teammate Mike Bibby chosen #2 in NBA draft by Vancouver Grizzlies. Offers Pastner a personal trainer job. Pastner declines.
1998- Graduates from the University of Arizona after 2 1/2 years with a degree in family studies.
1999- Named Arizona Wildcats co-captain.
1999- Coaches Houston Hoops to Nike National Cummer Championship.
1999- Earns Masters degree at Arizona in teacher education.
2000- Interviews with Houston for spot on Ray McCallum's coaching staff.
2000- Stays at Arizona as undergraduate assistant.
2001- Named Arizona's video coordinator and recruiting coordinator
2002- Named Arizone assistant coach
2008- Joins Memphis as assistant coach under John Calipari
2009- Named Memphis head coach. Coaching contract $4.4 million over 5 years.
2009- Signs nations #2 recruiting class.
2010- Tigers make NIT and make it to second round.
2011- Wins Conference championship. Tigers make appearance in NCAA tournament. Lose in first round.
2011- Pastner signs 5 year, $1.7 million (annually) contract extension.
2012- Tigers make appearance in NCAA Tournament. Lose in first round.
2013- After starting 0-13 against ranked teams, Pastner coaches Tigers to victory over #5 Oklahoma State.
2014- Defeats St. Mary's in NCAA Tournament, giving Pastner his first NCAA tournament win.
2014- Pastner's contract extended through 2019-2020 and pay raised for $2.65 million per year.
2015- Tigers miss NCAA Tournament and are not invited to NIT.
2016- Tigers miss NCAA Tournament and are not invited to NIT.
2016- Leaves Memphis to become new head coach at Georgia Tech.

Last edited:
http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/wcnn/media/mpeg/Josh_Pastner_with_John_Kincade-1460413159.mp3

http://download.podcast.play.it/med...D=570c40a09f5f92f1_18350_1U5GaQkW_000000005ok

Episode 2, at about 19:00 minutes in(CJP was uncharacteristicly late because of meeting with his Memphis Bosses on April 7)of a lengthy 90+ minute show, in which you can navigate the bar to fast forward. Talks about playing for the Title as a player twice and winning one in 1997. How Calipari had the greatest four year run in the history of the game, which Pastner followed. He believes you can never have too many guards/shooters/scorers on the floor at once. How the players, fans hate offenses that don't put the ball in the hoop. It destroys your defensive effort, affecting that end of he court. Good listen for about 13 minutes in length:
http://www.podbean.com/?sourceid=navbar

Last edited:
Buzz4Life, after looking at your timeline, I am not sure why Memphis raised his salary so much with the last extension. Only 1 NCAA tournament win?

Rumors on a Pack board that Bobby Lutz is gone to GT. No clue if there is any truth to it, but posting because I think he would be a fantastic hire. Seems a little too good to be true though.

ETA: Pack board thread link

Lutz is a good tactician. He would be a super addition if true. He also knows the ACC and state of NC in particular. Fingers crossed.

(note, I like Tom Herrion, but one thing I did not like about him is his tendency in games to want to stand up and be the HC...multiple times in games this season I saw CBG wave to him to sit down as AC's are supposed to be doing...don't get me wrong, I admire his passion...but, kids need one voice most of the time and especially in critical situations...both Herrion and Lutz are head coaches at heart...having watched the Pack many times, I've never seen Lutz try to coach over Gottfried towards the players on the court...I've seen Lutz advising Gottfried and when asked Lutz has designed some things in timeout huddles, which is good as long as the HC wants it)

Buzz4Life, after looking at your timeline, I am not sure why Memphis raised his salary so much with the last extension. Only 1 NCAA tournament win?
He did win 31 games that season. Averaged 24 victories in those 7 years. Won 7 of every 10 games under a passionate microscope. CJCal wanted him to go to Kentucky with him and all of those NBA Players CJCal took with him that CJP recruited too. Not defending him, however if players are graduating in three years, some will move on. He learned from it. Admits his flaws. Very refreshing to me after Hewitt and Mr. Always Rebuilding Nice Guy Gregs. and the excuses. Do you realize that if Memphis would have said yes to the Tournaments the last two years, he would be 20 for 20 as a player and as a coach(17 in the NCAA).

He did win NCAA Tournament games in back-to-back seasons. Something we have to go look up to see when we last did that.

Assistant coaches that he hired, accepted HC positions to leave. Not including Luke Walton during a lockout:
Jason Gardner – IUPUI (2014–present)
Jack Murphy – Northern Arizona (2012–present)
Willis Wilson – Texas A&M–Corpus Christi (2011–present)
Damon Stoudamire - University of the Pacific (2016-present)

He did win 31 games that season. Averaged 24 victories in those 7 years. Won 7 of every 10 games under a passionate microscope. CJCal wanted him to go to Kentucky with him and all of those NBA Players CJCal took with him that CJP recruited too. Not defending him, however if players are graduating in three years, some will move on. He learned from it. Admits his flaws. Very refreshing to me after Hewitt and Mr. Always Rebuilding Nice Guy Gregs. and the excuses. Do you realize that if Memphis would have said yes to the Tournaments the last two years, he would be 20 for 20 as a player and as a coach(17 in the NCAA).
I think in general coaches are being rewarded in their 2&3rd contracts for potential and not for actual productivity. Granted his record is an accomplishment, but when you listen the Tech fan base, the main thing is NCAA tournament wins. That's the biggest factor. It just surprised me to see such a huge bump after mediocre tournament results. I am a big believer in average base salaries with plenty of performance bonuses. Total wins, conference wins, conference championship games, conference championships, post season berths, tournament wins, Sweet Sixteens, Final Fours, etc. Then other areas academic performance, APRs, etc. Load it up to keep the edge on the coach to earn that big paycheck.

Just make sure the incentives are for good accomplishments and/or BIG things. Not Gregory getting 5 grand for beating Clemson or Hewitt's ridiculous contract that had a bonus for 10 or so grand for making the meaningless exhibition event known as the NIT.

Just make sure the incentives are for good accomplishments and/or BIG things. Not Gregory getting 5 grand for beating Clemson or Hewitt's ridiculous contract that had a bonus for 10 or so grand for making the meaningless exhibition event known as the NIT.
I have no problem with a few easy ones in there if it is keeping the base salary down. Those are important games and need to be won. If he gets the teams to win them, then great. Obviously an NCAA berth and an NIT berth isn't the same bonus.

Is an appearance in the post season a good thing for a coaches resume or not? I see comments that it is positives that Memphis received a CBI invitation eventhough they turned it down. Doesn't sound meaningless to me. Sounds like an important achievement at some level? Is it the ultimate goal? obviously not. But I can guarantee that if GT receives a CBI invitation next season that Bobinski will be using it to praise Pastner and the team.

1. If you are going to reward 5K to beat Clemson, then include a punishment of 10K for losing to ETSU. At some point, it gets ridiculous.

2. Tech won't be invited to the CBI or other meaningless invitational tournaments because they are not for P5 conferences. The only one that is in scope if missing the NCAAT is the NIT. And, that should be praised only in the right context. For instance, if Pastner takes next year's team to the NIT, then that should be praised because of the fairly bare cupboard he is being left. Hewitt deserved ACC COTY in his first year taking his Jackets team to the Big Dance. If Pastner is making the NIT in year 3, then Bobinski had better damn well not be praising and boasting about a NIT appearance. Financial incentives should be commensurate with these time frames and realistic expectations.

3. Gregory getting 5 grand for beating anybody in his first year with a band of homeless gypsies might - and I stress "might" - make some sense...not in his fifth year when he should be just happy he had a job.

You lose money with those CB Tournaments. It's not important in determining if you are the 101 team in the country or 117th. His goal for us is to be playing during the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament. Next year has to be a pass. And I will pay to watch a MEG next season, not in five years like I did this year for my son and his benefit.

The only way you win NCAA games consistently now is to be a true blue blood. No, Tech and Memhis are not in that category. We are the "streakers", show up in the decade it might have been popular to get all freaky. Cremins had a run, not all 19 years. Calipari won more than anyone in a four year period, including Wooden. Marshall is putting WSU in the chatter. Sustainability is difficult, which puts Coach Alphabetzki in the Hall of Fame. Dean didn't win at the start in Carolina.

Assuming Bobby Lutz is the guy, that indicates to me that MBob has allocated a generous budget to attract assistants. If this is indeed the case, I would like to see us make a serious run at Charlton Young! Too greedy?

I wonder if Lutz will carry the same title here; associated head coach? He's been around ACC basketball several times, assistants at Clemson and NC State, now Ga Tech. That will help getting players ready for the various environments in the ACC. Does anyone know his recruiting history?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT