ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Basketball, 2016; Staffing & Asst. Coaches(CJP Interviews, AAU, Misc.)

CDL(not the commercial drivers license, instead our new assistant coach recently announced after the Twitter announcement, probably awaiting a media press conference in a formal announcement with the rest of the staffing), was recently credited by a large media source as the one who recruited and bagged RJ Hunter to Ga. State University....
.....which takes us back five years to the celebratory dinner table in The Hunter Homestead in Indianapolis, Indiana. Ron Hunter: Honey, I took that job in Downtown Atlanta that nobody really wanted. No, not the one in Midtown. They have a short little guy from Dayton for that gig. Please order me the Brad Stevens Chicken Sandwich from Rooster's, you know I'm on that coaching diet so my tail can fit in a sliding chair. RJ: Mom, can I have two of the Bobby Knight Burgers, since I need to get off the Karen Carpenter diet for my playing weight to go up? Ron: Hey Son, remember that punk we beat named Hewitt in Atlanta a few years ago? He hired an assistant named LaBarrie a couple years ago. I'm going to hire that guy since Shorty Gregory doesn't like recruiters not named after money(Dollar). Mom, will continue clipping my fro and now take on this new guy and his hair mop. We won't get rich off this job, but we need to move down there soon and pay Darryl something tangible. He will be my chief recruiter and Everick Sullivan second in charge should I fall or take a nap with my "new sneakers"off. You need to call Clark Francis and Bob Gibbons and tell them you are not going to stay with IUPUI. We need to make it look like CDL is solidifying you with a Ga. St. commitment. That should make me look good in hiring him. Tell your sister we are moving so she can dump that boyfriend. Is the takeout food here yet? Honey, also round up some more shoes for the kids in Tangenia. Gene Keady sent a Fed Ex box by the door with 20 pairs of Joe Barry Carroll's oldies.

Last edited:
So, GA State and Portland State, huh? Man is showing the breadth of his posse. I'm pumped that someone at PSU even knew GA Tech existed. These hires validate me as a fan.

I liked Mr. Bruiser Flint, then again...Marshall, Wright, Capel were on my dream team for H.C. too!
Nothing against Conroy or Reveno. CER can develop Post Players, recruit decently and coach a game some. They do graduate their players.

All hires seem fine. Then again, I like Craig Neal. So you might not want to go by me.

Last edited:
The earlier tweets were the announcement that the official announcement was on the way to which I provide you a link to the announcement... http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/050416aaa.html

DL should go back to his fro he wore during his playing days.

11914775.jpeg

Forgot to mention up above, that RJ likes extra mustard and French Pastry for dessert.

Since Mrs. Hunter might not be cutting CDL's fro, maybe it will grow back out?
As a GSU Insider, I try to share all of my top secret information with you boys and girl.
Next up, an expose on The Decatur St. Darlings and why they can no longer be admitted in the Rialto Theater.

Guessing with him having played, coached at Northwestern, he should help with the Chicago area? Shumpert, Bynum come to mind and presently Charlie Moore. Looks like another high character(NWestern, G'town)hire who is reported as being a tireless worker.

Only need to fill the Director of Player Development position, which might not incorporate a big name.

Would love to hear thoughts on these hires, especially the last two? Had very little up front knowledge on Reveno and even less on Hardy.

Was thinking that all together, they share a few important aptitudes. Like CBG, CTH, they are high character guys that will keep the APR in the excellent range. All seem to be well versed in recruiting. The last two in other regions. We are or should be a national program.

Reveno might be the one for the X's and O's. CJP should be good enough at calling a game himself by now.
Always good to have a competent staff with input that you listen to.

ESPNJacket said on another site that Hardy does have connections in Chicago and the Northeast , but he is recognized by some as having a reputation as a national recruiter more than regional.

I think that speaks well of him.

Sharmen White is the AD as well as the HS coach, so his skills might fit for the Basketball Operations position. If he's interested.

Cabral Huff, Asst. Coach at Alcorn St. wants to come back to Atl. and stated he will take any spot we have. Sharman White might want an A.C. position only(strength as a recruiter).

If Hardy can recruit from Chicago towards the Atlantic and Reveno from the West Coast/Pacific to the edges of the Mississippi, we should be fine.

Interesting that Hardy has a background in the Princeton offense from G'town and Northwestern. Pastner wants to play fast. Let's see some quick back doors off of screens from Reveno's well-schooled big men!

Reveno played for Dr. Tom Davis two years and Mike Montgomery two years at Stanford. Hardy played for Kevin O'Neill two years and Bill Carmody two years at Northwestern. LaBarrie played two years for Cremins and one for Hewitt. What a funny coincidence that all three of them had coaching changes during their playing career.

So he recruited Jershon Cobb out of Decatur, Ga.?
That "Wealth Mgmt." experience at Chase, can help solidify recruits like Wendell Carter to join the Tech family. CJP to the Carter Crew: I have Eric to develop his "big man game", I have CDL to tutor the tutors when he returns to get his degree after each of the NBA seasons during Summer Semester, and now I have Hardy to make sure he has the correct investors in place to protect his millions.

Does having multiple coaches help one to decide if to go into coaching, should they find themselves on the fence? Or are you speaking figuratively with the coincidence comment?

Does having multiple coaches help one to decide if to go into coaching, should they find themselves on the fence? Or are you speaking figuratively with the coincidence comment?

I am speaking literally by saying it is a coincidence.

I like the hires for the most part. they certainly look the part and have good resumes that we can see. Nothing seems to be troubling from their past so the due diligence looks to have been completed by the AD. Hope they mesh well together.

I wonder how they will break down the positions. it looks like Hardy and Reveno are wing and post coaches. Pastner and LaBarrie with the guards?

BAJ-Think you hit it, with which coach has qualifications to work with that specific entity on the team. I'm looking for CJP to stand back and oversee the "Iron 9" or however many are participating at practice, and run the first several as the CEO. When they break into individual instruction, he might work next to CDL and CTH with the Points and Wings. Dwight Thorne or another staff member might help out CER if he needs an assistant with the 4's and 5's on the interior.

Coaches
Josh Pastner - Head Coach
Tavaras Hardy - Assistant Coach
Darryl LaBarrie - Assistant Coach
Eric Reveno - Assistant Coach
Richard Stewart - Assistant Athletic Trainer
Erica Sheppard - Administrative Coordinator
Dwight Thorne - Graduate Manager
two non-coaching hires – operations director Julian Swartz and video coordinator Tyler Benson.

The most important things right now for the entire staff are to: 1) put the full court press on Romello White and convince him to stick with the NATS - not just for next year, but for what he can become during his career at Tech...2) do whatever we can to try and convince Charlie Moore to sign with Tech (Bibby may be a backup plan...or, for that matter, with ample ships available, a straight up addition if we can convince him too)...3) within the rules, begin or continue to strengthen connections with the '17 class - particularly those high profilers in our own backyard.

The July evaluation period can and will provide some opportunity to look at rising seniors, but typically it is the most opportune time to evaluate rising juniors ('18) and sophs ('19)...that is, not just evaluating but getting our foot in the door early, offering early, etc. It can be a great time to find some diamonds in the rough regarding rising seniors. Most of the known guys have been evaluated for several July's.

You nailed it!
Just as for the WBB squad, I'd look for any connection to a one-year Grad. Transfer(we've offered two already, plenty more out there needing to be evaluated and met with since we have reinforcements). I was beginning to see if you and Texwood would stop making radios for next week to go out and help me knock on some doors, LOL. Fill those 'ships, if only for practice.

Mello needs core credits, take the ACT until it rocks. CER and Mom are the Stingers for that one.

Wonder if he hires Ray M. or Cabral Huff? Keep hearing Huff wants to come back home.

Dorothy wanted to go home. Back to Kansas. Can you believe that? She didn't get out much I guess. Except in her dreams. Choosing between being forced to live in Kansas, Norway or Afghanistan would be a difficult decision.

But, I digress.

Got you brother. He shouldn't have left St. Francis(Holy land of Atl.)for the Missy River(of Afgans.). Huff digressed in a way.

Ron has more material than Tech for next season, however Pastner has to pass him in the near future no matter the hires. The Jackets have all of the tangibles and intangibles sitting right in front of them.

Allow me the liberty of taking a stab at our lineup:
PG-
Josh Heath
Tyrie Jackson
Corey Heyward, should we not get Moore or Bibby and desperately fills a need.

2G-
Tad. Jackson
Josh Okogie

SF-
Q. Stephens
C-Matt.

PF-
Sylvester Ogbonda, has moved ahead of A.D.
Rand Rowland

C-
Ben "Slammer" Lammers
A. Guy.

Added practice players/warriors/elder fools-
JT622
Stech81
BAJ
Texwood(soon as the plane lands back from Korea)
Melanie and family
Stinger78
ESPN/Fox Jacket
Buzzforlife, & Buzzy the bull for life(6'2 220, and solid)
Cameronella
His Dog
Mooch
Richard
JF61
Any others with a heartbeat or of which rigor mortise has not set in yet

Is Tyrie Jackson official to GT?
Yes, I have it on good account and we have plenty of room. I think the other two Grad. Trfs. offered are not coming here. Hampton going to Tex. A&M, also.

Does your son up in Pennsylvania have any eligibility left?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT