ADVERTISEMENT

G.T. Football Recruiting, 2016.

Yep. We only get a 5* about once every 20 years and when we get 'em, they turn into Hall of Famers. Just sayin'. :D

GIVE ME AJANI KERR OR GIVE ME DEATH!

OK, I admit it. It doesn't seem as impressive when reading on a message board but you have to be here to hear it aloud to impress. And speaking of "here", George Carlin once observed...

..."why does it say on the box of cookies to OPEN HERE? Well, that I did not need to know. Of course I'm going to open them here. Do they think I'm going to open them some place else? Am I going to go to Bangladesh to open their cookies? Hell no. I'm most certainly going to open them here. I'm going to eat them here too. But, wouldn't it be scary if the cookie box said OPEN SOMEWHERE ELSE. Holy schlitz. I'd be up all night trying to find a really good place. These are the thoughts that kept me out of a really good college."

Truthfully, looking back at Brad Stewart, give me these guys who want to work and appreciate the offer. Not that Mr. Robertson or Mr. Johnson or any others who seem to be enjoying the recruitment process quite a bit and want it to last forever. If we get 'em, we do. But, not losing any sleep over them. Love these kids who say I WANT TO BEE A JACKET!!! Even better, the ones who chose Tech early on and avoided all this drama.

Thanks for perking me up for Signing Day. Appreciate the Student Athlete that wants to bee here!

Why do several modern soap brands, not have a peel or tab to open? Guess I should be going back to Irish Spring or the boxed ones. The paper soaps are cheap and easy to navigate. Those plastic types with the wrapping dye stuck to the raw product, then when finally under water half the bar seems gone...

Finley to Miami. That's OK. He wouldn't make our scout team.

(trying to be in mid-season form)

I heard yesterday that Clemson filled up and Miami has been his team since playing football. Just didn't want to believe it. Same with Jordan Johnson, after all of this story, something happened on his visit Tech didn't like. Hearing UCF for him.

I will lose a lot of sleep tonight. Not because of recruiting misses. Not because Tech Hoops threw away another chance at a W...and this time, to the defending national champs. Nope. None of that stuff.

It will be from dreaming of a 3-way with Ernest Borgnine and Abe Vigoda (Buddha rest their souls!).

Hey, I'm an honest guy.

Reactions: erkpogue
I hope the staff has been quietly keeping a few recruits warm in the event that we would go O-fer down the stretch.

At least you are not dreaming of young boys, like the recruiters from Notre Shame.

8:30 a.m. will be Ga. Tech's slot on ESPNU, tomorrow.

Believe they will be going to PWO's, including the ones from the last few years.

I know - and there is no way to sugar coat it. The crossroads JT speaks of are looking more ominous than ever. Take a look at Duke's 2016 class for some perspective on that point.

Thank Buddha we have a whirling dervish of an AD who is actively selling the program to wealthy alums and season ticket holders alike. I'm gonna sleep well tonight.

Robertson being quoted as stating that Ga. Tech leads as of today, although UGAG visit has not been completed. Mom, Carlos love Tech.

Don't discount the Kirby Bag Man, Smart off his Vacuum sale of flipping Tyler Simmons from Ala.

From CPJ today:

"We are still waiting on one more kid. I don't like being over when I know with attrition, I know before others do, but after the spring some grad transfer wants to come or a walk-on comes out in the spring and ends up starting then you promised them a scholarship to do that. We don't cut guys, I'm not going to over recruit."

I can only assume his comments were in response to why we don't do better recruiting place kick holders. We sorely lack depth at that crucial position. CPJ doesn't get it.

Love every one of 'em - including the walkons (glad this board isn't forgetting about them...kudos to bfl) - but, I'll go on record as saying Xavier Gantt is my favorite. I will ignore the fact he plays offense and will bump his star rating from 7 1/2 stars up to 9 1/2 stars.

AJC's Ken S: 10 things to know about this signing class... http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/10-things-to-know-about-georgia-techs-signing-clas/nqJT9/

Loyal to the cause

Johnson and defensive coordinator Ted Roof praised Buford High running back Xavier Gantt for staying true to Tech after being the first player to commit to the Jackets last February. Schools such as Mississippi State, Florida, Stanford, Michigan and Florida State didn’t give up with him, trying to persuade him to take visits, but Gantt turned them all down.

Gantt (5-9, 165) is pegged to play A-back. Roof, who recruited Gannt, has particulalrly strong ties to Buford. His twin sons Terrence and Michael are juniors at Buford and teammates of Gantt’s.

Love every one of 'em - including the walkons (glad this board isn't forgetting about them...kudos to bfl) - but, I'll go on record as saying Xavier Gantt is my favorite. I will ignore the fact he plays offense and will bump his star rating from 7 1/2 stars up to 9 1/2 stars.

AJC's Ken S: 10 things to know about this signing class... http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/10-things-to-know-about-georgia-techs-signing-clas/nqJT9/

Loyal to the cause

Johnson and defensive coordinator Ted Roof praised Buford High running back Xavier Gantt for staying true to Tech after being the first player to commit to the Jackets last February. Schools such as Mississippi State, Florida, Stanford, Michigan and Florida State didn’t give up with him, trying to persuade him to take visits, but Gantt turned them all down.

Gantt (5-9, 165) is pegged to play A-back. Roof, who recruited Gannt, has particulalrly strong ties to Buford. His twin sons Terrence and Michael are juniors at Buford and teammates of Gantt’s.
Boy you are soft in your old age. :) 9 1/2 stars for an offensive player ?
And I welcome all of them to Tech.

Robertson being quoted as stating that Ga. Tech leads as of today, although UGAG visit has not been completed. Mom, Carlos love Tech.

Don't discount the Kirby Bag Man, Smart off his Vacuum sale of flipping Tyler Simmons from Ala.

Robertson has been all over the map when it comes to his recruitment. One of my coaching contacts is directly involved with his recruitment at one of the other schools on his list, and even he doesn't have a sense for what the kid will eventually do. The one constant I've heard during the entire process is that his mom loves GT. That has always lead me to believe that we have a shot. It's long shot to be sure, but that's better than no shot.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
I am in the Gantt camp like Brother JT622. Thinking his loyalty, size of his heart, give him an edge. Reminds me of Robbie Godhigh. The "experts" love Adams, Woods, Braun and Branch.

Also, Bless You Brother, for following the Walk-Ons so closely!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-where-every-5-star-recruit-will-sign/page/13

Side note: Lucas Johnson started as a Freshman in H.S. He will give Tech a chance to broaden the offensive scope, and Ron West is bringing some pass blocking schemes which should help.

Thanks, mate. Seems like we are at ground zero on pass blocking when it comes to schematics. IOW, we are at Step 1 (or maybe even Step 0).

Step 1. Find defender, put body on defender.

As Metalicca once said... "Sad, but true"

I guess with an athlete of the caliber of Mr. Robertson as projected by the services that is, he can play many different positions. I am assuming we'd like to have him at either WR or AB. I'd love to see him as a shutdown CB of course, but I'm a defense-loving kind of guy.

With AJ Gray and Demetris Robertson in the D-Backfield...oh my!

Just hoping he chooses to be a Jacket and then we can worry about where he lines up later on. First things first.

Make a wise decision, Mr. Robertson! Shock the football factory recruiting ranking loving world!!!

He wants to play on offense. Assuming he will be a WR, with plenty of "touches".

Dorian Walker is my hope for a "lockdown corner".

Great stuff from our most acclaimed signee courtesy of Ken S at the AJC... http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/02/04/quotable-tech-signee-jordan-woods-on-his-recruitment/

Tech fans should read this young man's words - especially the sad sacks that we have so many of...not that it would make any difference in their miserable lives - and smell the gold roses that we are blessed to be associated with and supporters of such classy young men and a program that is loaded with them.

“If you have a degree from Georgia Tech, you have probably the best degree with the best city in the world.”

He was impressed that coach Paul Johnson told recruits and their families that “if you don’t want to be a student, don’t come here, because you have to be a student. Other schools will be like, you’ll do this. We’ll put you in a criminal justice class.”

“A lot of schools will tell you, ‘Oh, look at the stadium, look at this, look at that.’ Coach Johnson’s going to tell you, our stadium (only) holds almost 60,000, but guess what? Coca-Cola’s right down the street.”

This is why we have to hope this particular 5-star we are waiting on has a very strong support system around him just like our last 5-star did. And, from all reports, he does. Though in the end, these kinds of things seem to rarely fall our way and I expect it won't again.

looking at the rankings, it seems that Rivals has really low-balled a couple of the recruits. I suspect they are guys they have not really seen and just gave a ball park number.

looking at the rankings, it seems that Rivals has really low-balled a couple of the recruits. I suspect they are guys they have not really seen and just gave a ball park number.

Even the ones they look at, they can't possibly look at thousands of kids' plays that were taken off - which coincides with film they never received. The entire process is a complete joke.

I can remember so many undervalued recruits since 1980 when these rating systems started. One I really appreciated was Chris Reis. He stayed on for Chan(coaching change), as Tech needed his loyalty in a small class. He was only 2 stars like Brooking. Hardly any film, however meeting the young man and the family...you could bet on a leader by example that would correlate with his strong work ethic.

The fact that he retook the SAT to try and gain acceptance into Stanford would have me feeling pretty good about the process if I were a Stanford fan. On the other hand, there may be influences that want him to stay closer to home. We definitely win on the combination of proximity and value-of-degree metrics. It's sounding like a final decision could be made shortly after the test scores come in.

I love how his advisory-brother seems to be loving this process - keeping everything so public, stirring the drama and build up. The expansive use of the word "we" is fun. Glad he hasn't used the words "my client".

popcorn

Can't wait to see this young man at the next level regardless of who he suits up for. Hopefully it will be in white & gold, but if not, following the hype will still be interesting.

Thank you for this update, and the joke of the day:

Georgia’s shot at landing Robertson will rise if it can provide him with a great example of how his life after football would shape up once his playing days are over. That family be interested in learning about the network and the job opportunities across the state in his field of study.

I can help with most of the contingent that have passed my way. McDonald's, Arby's, Robertson Sanitation, BFI and various landscaping opportunities that involve hoes(not the female types).

LOL. If he's really interested in "life after football", then Bama and the Cesspool would not be in consideration. Paint me extremely skeptical about this entire situation.

I'm way too cynical. Received a personal message from a fan. like us, who reads this thread and claims we get D.R.
Can't see Mom winning out on this one. My heart says yes, my head says no. I'm putting two lumps in my coffee today for the expected bashing news on the 20th or whenever it comes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT