ADVERTISEMENT

Ga. Tech Basketball Recruiting(late period, April 2016), [3].

Pushed back to 2 p.m., Pacific time.

Thanks, mate. We had the original announcement of the forthcoming announcement and it's good that we now have an announcement of the delayed announcement. What would be classic is if we got another announcement of another delayed announcement with of course a later announcement of why the first announcement and second announcement were delayed until the ultimate announcement. This, of course, assumes we actually get an announcement at some point.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
There is a prediction encased in Twitter Talk:

I think the "brother" knows something. Should I add this commitment 20 minutes before the official announcement? It would be the first for the late period or is that a jinx?

Guess we should wait for Larry Hageman's daughter to call in.

Tried to post this when it happened, however this site must have been flooded. Had to go to the ER finally, then their WiFi was down. Feel like a reporter needing to get this in. Will try to post from here on my pad. Until the Doctor tells me Tech Athletics is not good for my immediate health. I didn't know Prednisone puts you to sleep. Last time I had any was for Acne, a loooong time ago......

Per Scout.com: Justin admitted that the decision was harder than he thought it would be. “I wanted to make sure I was picking right this time. I picked Tulane last year but they changed coaches and I opened up my
recruitment. I just wanted to be sure it was right and I know it is."
There were many reasons why he chose Tech but one reason stood out to Justin. “To me, the biggest reason was Coach D-Lab. Coach Darryl LaBarrie is a great person. I’m very close to him.” Justin got to know Coach LaBarrie when he was at Georgia State. Once he was hired at Tech, Justin’s interest in Tech grew. Getting a chance to play in the ACC was also a factor. “Getting to know Coach (Josh) Pastner was the clincher. His track record speaks for itself.” Justin feels that Coach Pastner is the right person to return Tech to the glory days. “I want to be a part of that. I don't have any doubts about him as a head coach."
Now that he’s made his decision, Justin is excited to get to Atlanta. Justin is ready to meet up with fellow San Diego athlete and Tech football signee Lucas Johnson. The two are excited about traveling across country to start their careers at Tech. “Making the decision is a big weight off my shoulders. I’ve been through this twice."
Mom is also happy with Justin’s decision. "I know she feels like she is losing her baby boy but she knows I’m happy and that makes her happy. I couldn't ask for a better situation to be honest.” To lessen any sadness, Justin’s mom knows that in seven weeks he’ll have a two week break and can come home."
Once he arrives at Tech, Justin is looking forward to getting after it to earn playing time and to help the team win games. While playing in the NBA is a goal for Justin, he will let that take its course. Justin knows that if the time is right, he’ll know it. “I'll talk with Coach Pastner and we’ll discuss everything. I won’t do anything to hurt him or the team at Georgia Tech.”
Justin will report to Tech on June 21st. "For the next eighteen days I will live it up here with my family and friends and get ready to head to Atlanta. The next chapter in my life will begin then.”

Some of his offers before the early signing period, Nov., 2015:

Sr. Night he had 35 pts., 10 Rebs., 8 assists against strong Cathedral. Fully Qualified. Dean's List student. Coached on San Diego All-Stars 17, by Marshawn Cherry. Rivals #145, November '15.

I'll just go ahead and put it on the table...

...have to believe this sets the mark for Jorgenson and Heyward either departing or seeing the end of the bench permanently if they stay. Heath can come off the bench and likely be effective in that role. Probably where he should have been all along and meaning no disrespect btw. I'd give Moore 30 mpg.

According to Garp(remember him), Okogie will play some point too. Heyward may do Grad. School, take a full-time position or stick around. He is in the process of a mini-tryout during practice to see if playing time could be in the offering.

I mean no disrespect either, but shocked if the team takes Jorgy back should he ask....Heyward makes the cut in this offense....Heath's shoulder surgery gives him more than the ten minutes you have suggested. I can see Moore with 25-30 depending on Josh and how he fits in the 1 and 2 rotation. Price should give CJP some unsolicited advice for Justin, about how you play tired and with your tongue hanging out, hands on knees.

According to Garp(remember him), Okogie will play some point too. Heyward may do Grad. School, take a full-time position or stick around. He is in the process of a mini-tryout during practice to see if playing time could be in the offering.

I mean no disrespect either, but shocked if the team takes Jorgy back should he ask....Heyward makes the cut in this offense....Heath's shoulder surgery gives him more than the ten minutes you have suggested. I can see Moore with 25-30 depending on Josh and how he fits in the 1 and 2 rotation. Price should give CJP some unsolicited advice for Justin, about how you play tired and with your tongue hanging out, hands on knees.

Where is anyone hearing any of this stuff about Jorgy or Heyward? Also, I thought Heath had hip surgery.

Justin Moore has some very good potential, but let's not get ahead of ourselves like we signed a 5* kid here.

I think it is a combination of things/events that leads to a lot of question marks...

1. Rumors about Jorgenson departing Tech heated up 15 months ago after the '15 season.
2. Jorgenson seeing pretty close to no playing time over the last third of the season this past year fueled the rumors (and that's all they are and hence why questions exist) that he would leave after this past season. Obviously, there has been nothing official stated to date. Though, the event of signing a point guard may have an effect. Maybe not. Maybe so. I guess we'll see. Jorgenson would have 2 years of eligibility left to play elsewhere if he chose to leave Tech.
3. Heyward as we all know was not an option at all this past season and it is reasonable to believe with 4 PG's on roster (if everyone stays...could be 5 part time if Okogie were to play minutes at the 1) that he will not play again except in mop up duty, which is unlikely to happen more than about 4 or 5 times if that many next year.
4. CJP has made it clear we will suffer in his first year in hopes of progressing after that. Reading the tea leaves, it tells me he will go with the future (read: incoming freshman Moore) over playing a senior (Heath) the majority of minutes - perhaps, the vast majority of minutes. Same for Okogie in relief potentially.

Moore is no 5-star, correct. We don't have anybody on our roster even close to that level. Especially at the PG position. I expect CJP will go with his first signee that he recruited to Tech and likely made some strong overtones to Moore that he will have ample playing time and opportunity to win a starting job as a true frosh. I think those are pretty reasonable assumptions and aren't pulled from fantasy land by any means.

We never called him a 5-star, good buddy. More like a 3, I reported.
Jorgy left after the first CJP practice. He may enroll for next semester, but certainly that desertion issue has to be addressed.
Heyward is not counting against the 13, I didn't say he wasn't on the team because he has gone to practice, workouts. Didn't say he couldn't earn some minutes next season.
My bad about Heath, it is a hip, not a shoulder. I did hear he had surgery, like you stated.

Please feel free to set me straight, my best contact is a football guy(not always the best source, although a gem up dude).

@GTJT622 - don't take this ill-willed, but congrats on being a genuine GT guy... because you've overanalyzed the entire PG situation based on historical data that is no longer relevant.

@Buzzforlife - thanks for confirming you have a source, but I'd be hesitant to start throwing these things out as facts without announcements. There's no reason for Heyward to not be on scholarship next year, since we've got plenty available right now (admittedly, he doesn't need to be, given his NFL brother can probably float tuition).

Also, Jorgy leaving is a definite possibility, but I doubt any of us have appropriate/accurate facts around his current status. I'd recommend being a little careful making statements or assumptions until there's an announcement.

Moore said he was going to get the opportunity to earn minutes. That's pretty specific coach speak to limit expectations for promised playing time. To start thinking this kid is gonna get thrown out there or has the capacity for 30 minutes a game as a FR is really presumptuous.

CJP is my source on Moore. He's ecstatic to have him, and has gone on record as such. Justin will play next year out of necessity. I'm glad we're offering the world right now for 2017, but obviously behind. The best we can hope for is his adjusting to the college game and fast.

The roster has plenty of room, I personally want them all to stay, ACC talents or not. I go back to the days of Whack Hyder as a season ticket holder. In my teenage years they were under 50$. I bleed Gold like you and JT, and like any internet board we dig for info., pass on what we hear. The difference here is that we try to be responsible, however human enough to have opinions. We differ here, like my mate thinks we're going to run more than I do. He might be right, hope so-that would mean we have enough quarter horses sprinting to the finish line. He and I agree on the win total of about 10 and that will be all anyone remembers 30 years from now.

The scholarships are one-year renewables on June 30. Correct me if I'm wrong. Not that Tech won't honor 4 or 5 years, or if they want to come back. I'm not asking a source if the Brother is paying or if the kid is getting an academic ride now. Also, not assuming anything on Jorgy and his future after his former knee surgery here. For announcements, see JT's take on them. It's all over this board.

For a small board, we cover just about every Tech sport between the five or six of us. JT is a major, major contributor and once I found him over here and Stech was on his way, I asked to join up. If they think I am giving bad info. or a nuisance, I would leave in a second. No questions asked. I make mistakes, referring to Blake Wood left-handed one day. Now, I saw #34 pitch many games, but was thinking of Alex Wood from Ga. and the Braves. I catch my own sometimes like posting a potential basketball recruit in the football thread. At least I got the year part right. Please laugh at me.

Hope you post more, always enjoyed you on the Hive. We don't have a big five or a large group all bitter calling names at each other. Just about 6 older Tech fans. Melanie will be around at football season. We enjoy her posts and definetly yours.

Thanks for coming over when you can.

Last edited:
@Buzzforlife - posting responsibly is exactly my point. You've essentially declared Travis a deserter. 1) I'd hazard a guess that none of us have a legit inkling about what's going on with a 21 y-o kid. 2) I'd also hazard a guess that a coach would never call it a desertion because calling out a kid like that is a reputational risk.

If a coach wouldn't call him a deserter, should we?

Moore needing to play is one thing, but none of us have any idea how much.

Here's a theory... They put Tadric at PG in a role similar to MGH this past year, Heath backs him up when he's out or shifts to the SG, & Okogie gets the bulk of the SG minutes Tadric doesn't take.

It's just a wild theory, but would seem to get a lot of minutes in the hands of what are likely to be our best backcourt players.

Make no mistake, I'm not calling anyone's GT fandom at odds here. You wouldn't be spending time posting here. I'm espousing exactly what you just said... posting responsibly.

Posting in a way that declares a kid leaving as fact prior to an official announcement could be viewed as not posting responsibly.

As far as Heyward goes, scholarships are 1-year renewable. He hasn't graduated yet, but we owe him nothing once that degree is conferred. That said, if he decides to stick around and it seems like he is, nothing to stop us from keeping him on scholarship. We're not going to fill 4 spots this summer, given existing 2 openings, a 3rd if Travis does in fact leave, and Corey wasn't on 'ship.

I'm going by what was told to me. I even told a friend via email who posts here at least weekly about myself and my son bumping into one of our new coaches at Zelnak before a beesball game. He(not a basketball follower)might not read this today, but I'm sure he will back up my credibility, and that I've mentioned him before on two different occassions(my degrees are from GSU) the conversation with this asst. coach is based on a personal relationship he shares with me, has for more than 15 years off and on, now. When my football contact told me some of this, I had to ask this coach during our last conversation. He gave me his number, although out of respect for his valuable time these days, I will call later to ask him to lunch.

I've never indicated that I spoke with these two athletes, recently about these matters-although at fan photo day, I've talked with most of our players going back to the initial Cremins one. About 25 people at that time attended. We have had players working out and invite my autistic son to shoot with them in the off-season at the Center. I say all this to illustrate no rules have been broken or lawsuits can take place. I'm not naming sources in public, out of respect for Hippa laws and privacy.

I truly apologize to these two SA if what was told second hand to me is incorrect. If this is irresponsible posting, should anyone other than yourself take that position, I will stop.

Please post right under here men(no feelings hurt, I spend way too much time on here and probably need rehab.-however I'm still going to read here and follow our teams...just won't share on this message board...otherwise this matter is closed on my end).....fire away, please......

You know what, I'm not questioning your credibility, as much as I'm confused by what your sources are at this point.

I've expressed my point and you can do with it as you see fit. I'm just gonna leave you folks to do your thing. I don't really think my contributions are gonna be additive and you've already got access to where I post my theories & public info.

Go Jackets!

Wow. Just...wow!
Wow, just wow!

Sorry if I took one from you guys, let me know if I'm a subtraction, please. I will bow out with class.

I will give up one of my WBB sources because she told me it would be fine. She played with CMJ on the Olympic Team, lives here, Keisha Ford is on her speed dial. She was her host when Maryland recruited Ms. Ford. She keeps in better contact with Brenda(HC at Myd.), so we talk about the ACC a lot and go to Dream games together. She played in the WNBA. When the Terps play here, we sit two seats apart, my son goes over to the band.

Buzzforlife, you shouldn't apologize for anything. Just keep moving forward.

As for the "WOW" part, not directed at you at all. Very surprised at some of the other commentary. Some, of which, is kind of funny, yet really stupid and contradictory. That is, comments around "nobody knows what is going to happen" (which I agree with) but then condescendingly disparaging others' opinions and projections.

No worries. Not losing any sleep over any of this as usual. Can always use the Ignore option if needed.

I wasn't wowing you, brother. I was agreeing with you, because I was stunned and realized precisely what you were referring to.

Will take your advice and move forward. Thanks for all that you bring to the little six, as you are the heart and soul of this board(as you were on that other one). I love the other four and do like and enjoy our other friends, so no offense intended to them. I have a man crush on Stech81, but don't tell him that, he might get more afraid of me. Smile?

Here's my hope (and of course expectation) of what we'll look like next season...

PG: Moore should be the starter and get the vast majority of minutes. None of the other PG's have shown anything worthy of warranting a status of a can't miss starter nor getting a lot of minutes. One has health recovery issues. One is not even an option. One has regressed due to an unfortunate injury and who knows if he will even be with the program or not. Moore is the future. He gets a lot of time and will be eaten alive at times because that's what the ACC does (read: eats its young).

2G x 2: I think we'll see a 4-perimeter rotation most of the time so I think we'll see Okogie and T-Jax on the court a lot at the same time. Both of these guys should get a LOT of playing time. Hopefully, T-Jax builds on his improved play over the 2nd half of 2016 and his shot selection improves dramatically (read: you are not a 3-pt shooter).

SF: Q should start and play a lot of course. Matthews will get 15 mpg.

Post: Just going to call it "post". We lack depth here. Lammers should be the guy. Ogbonda and ADG will have to earn their time and they will get ample opportunity, though Ben should be getting 25 mpg.

4 words as a mantra... PLAY FOR THE FUTURE... in this season which will be a struggle no doubt. We will play - as ugly as it might look at times - CJP's brand of ball. He will recruit to that system. He will showcase a system to show recruits albeit he won't have the horses to execute it like he desires.

@Buzzforlife - you're certainly not a subtraction. Like I said, there's obviously some sort of confusion on my end, so better for me to exit the conversation as I don't think I'm additive.

I also had no expectation for you to name names. That's not something you should feel obligated to do.

I don't plan to apologize for anything I've said, but you shouldn't apologize for a thing either.

All the best...

JT-
I couldn't have stated all of that better myself. We have to play for the future as eloquently stated. CJP has to showcase the system as best he can under these circumstances.

This comes from my conversation with that A.C., in which I referenced earlier. He has watched practice, so I feel pretty confident saying that Ogbonda is ahead of ADG. It might change, just like my blood pressure might go down if Beesball wins these next two games.

Thanks for sharing, as always.

Hey mate, good find on the news regarding the WMU kid, McCormick. Seems like a good fit if he's interested in playing in the ACC. Could be a nice pump of adrenaline to the roster. Fingers crossed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT