ADVERTISEMENT

Ga. Tech Basketball Recruiting(late period, April 2016), [3].

Buzzforlife

Sep 14, 2015
Duluth, Ga.
Early Period Signees:

1)Josh Okogie
2)Christian Matthews
Romello White(was granted a release, and signed with Arizona St. over Iowa St., Ga., VCU.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Late Period(Graduate Transfers must enroll after acceptance to be official, will list here as a Gr. Trf. beside their name):
Tyrie Jackson; Tifton, Ga.(Tift Co.)6'3". Committed to Ga. Tech. PWO. Ended up signing with Va. Tech.

1)Justin Moore, PG, 6'4" 160, San Diego, Ca., Mission Bay Sr.;(consensus 3 star, good upside). Chose Tech over Pacific. Release from Tulane on May 11, 2016(coaching change with Ed Conroy leaving).

2)Jodan Price, 2G/Wing. 6'7 212. Grad. Trf. from E. Mich. Univ.
3)Kellen McCormick, PF/SF. 6'8" 220. Grad. Trf. from W. Mich. Univ.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a H.S. talent lining up some visits soon:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Yuat-Alok-187355

Last edited:
SWMBO provided her insights to me recently regarding why she thinks Tech is and will always be a good, attractive plan for grad transfers. They included...

1. Lots of Atlanta & Georgia-based S-A's who went away for college to play sports would like 1 year to finish out playing more closely to home. (makes sense in several cases)

2. Georgia Tech degree. They probably value education far more now than they did when they signed out of HS. Also, most probably have figured out far better now that their chances of playing in the pro's aren't nearly as big as when they were dominating pimple faced high school kids when they signed out of HS.

3. We suck so there should be immediate playing time opportunities.

Sounds like pretty good logic to me.

Taking inventory...

1. All 13 ships accounted for currently.
2. Smith, White, Jacobs, MGH, and Mitchell departing after this season opening up 5 ships.
3. 3 signees in November - White, Okogie, and Matthews - leaving 2 ships currently available.
4. Very high likelihood (IMO) that Jorgenson transfers out after this season opening up a 3rd ship.
5. Possible that Heyward will either graduate and/or transfer with a year of eligibility remaining after this season which would open up a 4th ship in addition to the 3 signees already inked.

I say #4 is a strong bet unless something significantly changes over the remainder of the season. #5 is of course a question mark. CBG needs to (obviously) find some grad transfers. He will have ample openings. Will need someone to play PG to spell Heath. Would love a shooter of course. And, need a big or two.

Excellent synopsis!

From what is on the grapevine, Heyward has a strong possibility of graduating and moving on. Good relationship with Conner who is a Junior for football.

Heath could end up transferring since Dad has Coaching experience and contacts. Lower odds, however minut, these things happen.

Nice results last night, but outsiders insist this program is a non-factor when it comes to the elite echelon of the conference. Not sure if the "Bobber" is awake or alive, although Tech money could give him no more excuses. One source told me that some are playing a game with him after he restructured the buyout in this last contract. The AD is winning because of the reserve, while the program suffers. So in the long run of his term, this might put him perusing the Third St. tunnel.

I would prefer finding some additional transfer. But maybe there is a late blooming high school player that would be worthy. Any outstanding PGs would be awesome.

We are after a Center, Yuat Alok. The other 'ship will probably go to a Grad. Transfer.

Unless of course....Bark Madley has a wish come true, from me to you!

Here's my guess as to how the lineup will look next year (given, we may sign someone I don't know about currently in the spring period and/or get a grad transfer [hopefully someone who can make outside shots])...

PG - Heath, Sr. -- I fully expect Jorgenson to transfer out and Heyward to grad early
2G - Jackson, Jr. -- backed up by Okogie, Fr.
SF - Stephens, Sr. -- backed up by Matthews, Fr.
PF - White, Fr. -- backed up by Gueye, R-So.
C - Lammers, Jr. -- backed up by Ogbonda, R-Fr.

Very short in terms of depth. Hopefully a couple of grad transfers see plenty of PT and open chance to be a starter to entice them to give Tech a chance. We particularly need a guard or two and a post guy would be welcome as well. Hell, anybody would be welcome for the most part at this point as the team will likely rely on walkons for practice scrimmage situations.

Note, I think Okogie and Matthews should come in with the thought process of being a starter. Other than Lammers (with Stephens a close second), I don't think anybody has a guaranteed starting role among those who do return.

Schedule next year...

OOC Home: Cesspool, Tulane, Wofford, assume we return to the Big 10-A.C.C. Challenge thingy and we are due a home game, then there will be some cupcakes added
OOC Road: Duquesne, Tennessee, VCU

A.C.C. Home: Clemson, ND, NC State, Syracuse, FSU, UNC, Louisville, Pitt, BC
A.C.C. Road: Clemson, ND, NC State, Syracuse, UVa, Va Tech, Duke, Miami, Wake

That's 25 games that we know about. I have yet to find us in any early season tournament. I imagine we'll slip in somewhere for 2 or 3 games and then the remaining 3 or so will be home cupcakes OR we skip the tournament thing and just go with 5 or so cupcakes at home.

Nice work putting all of the preview together. Lineup looks right, at this point. Much thanks!

Here is a possible two-year Grad. Trf. for Tech:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-mexico-lobos-leaving-coach-father-craig-neal
basketball/story/_/id/14968784/cullen-neal-transfer-new-mexico-lobos-leaving-coach-father-craig-neal
Some crazy stuff happening there.

There are several people voicing approval for Craig Neal to return to GT as head coach. Not sure how that would look if his son came before he did...

He does have to graduate first, get accepted here for G.S. or a second Bachelor's, then enroll. It's not totally inconceivable that Dad might arrive first.

Insane that they take basketball TOO SERIOUSLY in New Mexico, to threaten his life. We all know how we keep it in perspective here!

Last edited:
He does have to graduate first, get accepted here for G.S., then enroll. It's not totally inconceivable that Dad might arrive first.

Insane that they take basketball TOO SERIOUS in New Mexico, to threaten his life. We all know how we keep it in perspective here!

Basketball? What's that?

;)

If backcourt 'ships open up as GTJT predicts (likely IMO), we need to put ourselves in position to land both Canyon and Cullen. I have a feeling Bobby will do his part if asked.

We definetly have two for a guard and center. Corey hasn't been officially announced, but that is a third schollie. If a change is made, that might free a few more up-especially since the Asst. Coach who has ties to some big guys probably wouldn't be retained.

MBob spoke with one of the early signees, still trying to speak with the other two.

The staff is retained until the end of June or until a new coach is hired(then he has the decision if to rehire any of them). I would keep CTH for several good reasons, including continuity. The coaches will not be allowed to go out recruiting. They will be permitted to travel to the Final Four. Mostly they are to look after the team, such as bed checks.

Since MBob has been located for more than a glimpse or a taped radio spot(getting paid nicely for)and he is in charge of recruiting or trying to salvage what we have spent our budget on until this point, here is another transfer on the market to try to hold up until the new guy gets in place and hires a staff:

Interesting to note on the NCAA Tourney....the A C C has already brought more money in compared to the PAC 12 network deal, I have been told.

The four McDonald's AA unsigned players, all are considering Duke. You know Capel is at work.

Couldn't find a straight link, but worth the read:

Recruiting Q&A: Hall of Fame coach Morgan Wootten
Mar 30, 2016
Paul Biancardi
Basketball Recruiting
Email
print
comment
Morgan Wootten is an unquestioned legend within the game of basketball. A Naismith Hall of Famer, Wootten coached fabled DeMatha Catholic in Hyattsville, Maryland from 1956 to 2002, retiring with a record of 1,274-192. Wootten coached a number of future college and pro stars, won five national championships at the high school level, and has authored six books about the game. Wootten currently serves as selection committee chair for the McDonald’s All-America Games, with the highly anticipated boys’ game set to take place Wednesday night (9 p.m. ET, ESPN). On the eve of that event, ESPN's Paul Biancardi sat down with the 84-year-old Wootten to discuss how both the recruiting world and the game of basketball have changed over the years, as well as the changes he’d make to keep the game on course.

Morgan Wootten (here announcing his retirement in 2002) has been involved with the McDonald's All-American Game since 1978. AP Photo/Nick Wass
When it came to the star players you coached at DeMatha (Adrian Dantley, Kenny Carr, Danny Ferry, Sidney Lowe and Adrian Branch among them), how involved did you get with their recruitments and what kind of advice did you give them?

I developed my recruiting philosophy for my players in 1969. One of my players, James Brown (later the CBS and FOX broadcaster), collapsed during a game and the reason he collapsed was because he was so inundated with the recruiting process, with coaches calling and visiting him. Back then there was no limit on how much you could call or visit. Every night people called him on the phone and kept him up late at night, [he was] so fatigued during a game that he collapsed.

After that moment I decided we needed to have a game plan for recruiting, so from that point on all the recruiting went through our basketball office. Myself and my coaches would set up the calls and visits for the recruit based on who they wanted to talk to and visit with. If schools and coaches didn't agree to this system, then they wouldn't be involved with my players. We would facilitate and set it up, whatever the player and his parents wanted. We would not interfere with the process of schools, but we controlled the communication. From that point on we implemented our system and never had a problem with a player being worn out from the recruiting process.

The other thing we told our players is never to commit on a visit. I always told my players to wait until they came back home and had a chance to talk to their parents about it. It's a honeymoon when you are on a campus visit, and you could be influenced to make a decision you may regret.

I remember back with James Brown, that he told Dean Smith he couldn't commit on his visit but was 99% sure he would go to North Carolina. When he came home, Senator Ted Kennedy (a Harvard alumnus) wanted to have lunch with [Brown] and myself. We sat down, went to lunch, and days later James Brown decided to go to Harvard. That's the reason you don't commit on the visit.

How do you think AAU and summer leagues have impacted the role high school coaches have in the recruiting process? Is the high school coach's role different than it was 20-30 years ago?

Summer coaches are outside influences, and I would ask why are they involving themselves in the process and what is their objective? With regard to the high school coach and athletic director, they have to report to a principal and a superintendent -- they have a direct responsibility to a higher figurehead, which makes their actions accountable.

Outside influences don't report to anyone else, so to me it raises the questions on their influence and why they're doing it. For the high school coach, the biggest problem can be outside influences. How many people can the player and family listen to and trust? I really believe a good high school coach and athletic director can serve that purpose in recruiting.

If a coach is not helping a player in the recruiting process to try to help them get to college or help them with the recruiting process, then shame on them. It's a coach's responsibility. Joe Lapchick (former St. John's and New York Knicks coach) told me a long time ago that a kid will always remember his coach, and how he treated them. So for me and my staff it was always our responsibility to help them, whether that was in the recruiting process or to be recruited. One of my biggest pieces of advice we gave our kids was to treat everyone the same and give everyone the respect who's recruiting you. But you need to control your process.

There are many observers of the game who believe fundamentals have declined among U.S. players in the last couple of decades ... do you agree with that? What one fundamental skill would you teach to every 16- or 17-year-old basketball player if you could?

When it comes to fundamentals I really believe defense and a defensive stance is lacking. The ability to pressure the opponent individually and dictate where that offensive player should go with the ball. What direction he goes, whether it's right or left baseline or middle, is lacking.

It’s not happening, it's not being emphasized to a large degree because of shooting threes and [the] focus on individual offense -- which is important. Being a good defensive player means sitting in your stance and staying in the stance while putting pressure on your opponent and sending him in a certain direction on the floor. Defense is the equalizer when teams don’t shoot the ball well. My hope is that every player becomes a complete player, but I would like to see individual defense taught more.

Do you have an opinion on the one-and-done phenomenon in college basketball? Do you think megastars should be able to jump straight to the NBA if they have the talent?

I remember when I was coaching, you had to wait until your class graduated before you could go to the NBA. That was the rule back in the 60's and 70's, and since then the NBA has continued to change the early entry draft rules. You know, since tennis and golf players can go pro anytime, there should be the freedom to choose, as long as today's basketball player makes an intelligent and informed decision. I do believe if you go to college, even for a year, you become more mature. Bottom line is the freedom to choose should be there for these special players, and hopefully they would make the right decisions.

Some basketball minds think rules at all levels of U.S. basketball should be consistent with international rules (wider lanes, 24 second shot clock, extended three-point line). Do you agree?

I like the idea of opening the lane, because it would create even more freedom of movement in the game. Whoever can control the lane wins the game. I'm not sure why we need to go to 24 seconds in the college game -- I am fine with 30 seconds.

Extending the three-point line would be great, because it may bring back the mid-range jump shot. With a deeper line there won't be as many people shooting threes because it will be further away. Players would have to work on their shooting even more, but the mid-range jump shot would come back.

You are the chairman of the McDonald's All American game. Talk about how the game has evolved and where it’s going.

The game continues to get better and better and better! When the [players] go to the Ronald McDonald house, it's powerful to see the way they interact with everyone. They see how they can help others and make a difference. It's truly such a worthy cause. As far as the game goes, we have the best players in the high school game with excellent coaches. It’s the only high-level, vote-in all-star game with a blue ribbon committee, which makes it special. Don’t forget it’s the first time the NBA gets to lay their eyes on the high school prospects, live in a setting where they go against other players of their caliber. The 24 best go head-to-head in practice, scrimmage and in a game -- it’s a great evaluation tool for the NBA. [Atlanta Hawks GM] Danny Ferry, who played for me, said one time when they're in the draft room meeting and talking about drafting young players the question always comes up -- was he a McDonald's All-American?

SWMBO provided her insights to me recently regarding why she thinks Tech is and will always be a good, attractive plan for grad transfers. They included...

1. Lots of Atlanta & Georgia-based S-A's who went away for college to play sports would like 1 year to finish out playing more closely to home. (makes sense in several cases)

2. Georgia Tech degree. They probably value education far more now than they did when they signed out of HS. Also, most probably have figured out far better now that their chances of playing in the pro's aren't nearly as big as when they were dominating pimple faced high school kids when they signed out of HS.

3. We suck so there should be immediate playing time opportunities.

Sounds like pretty good logic to me.

There are also a lot of beautiful female students roaming the campus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT