ADVERTISEMENT

Ga. Tech Basketball Recruiting(late period, April 2016), [3].

"Shown little interest in coaching"???

He played professional basketball for 14 years (3 1/2 in Atlanta) and then went into coaching. Would you expect him to cut his professional playing career short to go into coaching?

An article from 2 years ago... http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...-bibby-shadow-mountain-point-guards/13118183/

Bibby doesn't have the proper certification to be giving the 'head coach' title at Shadow Mountain. Warren said he likely will assume that title with Jerry Conner now leading Phoenix Horizon. But there is no question Bibby runs the show.

Only 32 seconds and you will hear a sound bite concerning his interest in following CJP to Tech:

Rumor has it that he has been wearing Nike(not Russell)gear with Tech on it.

"Shown little interest in coaching"???

He played professional basketball for 14 years (3 1/2 in Atlanta) and then went into coaching. Would you expect him to cut his professional playing career short to go into coaching?

An article from 2 years ago... http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...-bibby-shadow-mountain-point-guards/13118183/

Bibby doesn't have the proper certification to be giving the 'head coach' title at Shadow Mountain. Warren said he likely will assume that title with Jerry Conner now leading Phoenix Horizon. But there is no question Bibby runs the show.

I am glad you feel good about his coaching credentials. Since he has finished his playing career, I see very little interest from him for college coaching. He's coaching his sons team and it sounds like he's doing a great job. But if he was really interested in the college game, he's had more than enough opportunities to move in that direction.

I am glad you feel good about his coaching credentials. Since he has finished his playing career, I see very little interest from him for college coaching. He's coaching his sons team and it sounds like he's doing a great job. But if he was really interested in the college game, he's had more than enough opportunities to move in that direction.

How do you know he's had more than enough opportunities to move in that direction? He's only been out of the NBA for 4 years. Not all NBA players step right into college coaching from their playing careers. After being a vagabond for 14 years in the NBA, I imagine he wanted some time at home and spending with his son. Makes sense to me. He has stated he is open to branching out to coaching at higher levels recently. A lot of college coaches start out at the high school level and then eventually make their way up. He's very wealthy from 14 years of playing in the NBA so I doubt he initially felt the need to really hustle to make a living as a college coach.

How do you know he's had more than enough opportunities to move in that direction? He's only been out of the NBA for 4 years. Not all NBA players step right into college coaching from their playing careers. After being a vagabond for 14 years in the NBA, I imagine he wanted some time at home and spending with his son. Makes sense to me. He has stated he is open to branching out to coaching at higher levels recently. A lot of college coaches start out at the high school level and then eventually make their way up. He's very wealthy from 14 years of playing in the NBA so I doubt he initially felt the need to really hustle to make a living as a college coach.
Your stated desription of his experience goes back to my original thoughts which started this whole conversation. Most everyone has stated that GT needs experienced assistants on the bench. I am not sure he fits that definition and you have yet to convince me that he does.

Fair enough. I haven't said jack about what an assistant should or should not look like as far as experience goes. I do agree with CJP that he needs deep rooted ties in his own backyard, though I don't give a rat's butt whether that person has 20 or 2 years of experience.

I said he isn't your normal consideration for an assistant. He brings a ton of qualities that you likely won't find in the pool of assistants that might be considered.

I'd love it if we can build a program full of 3-star talents who can grow and by time they are juniors and seniors are playing to the level of another 3-star, Malcolm Brogdon. But, the more likely scenario is that we need to attract some guys who are risks for leaving early. This is nothing new. It goes back 25+ years at Tech. There were rumors Kenny Anderson would be a 1-and-done before he signed with Tech. Cremins knew the risk. He knew it with Marbury too. Hewitt knew it with Bosh, Favors, Crit, etc. Our best teams where we've been able to achieve to very high levels have typically been with these types of talents who are risks to go pro early.

That's where a unique opportunity like Bibby comes in. Imagine an assistant being able to sit down with a 5* guy who obviously has his eyes set on playing in the NBA within 2 years and has 14 years experience (there's that "experience" factor) actually doing what the kid aspires to do. Not just having done it, but to be able to walk a kid through the do's and don'ts, potential land mines, etc., from a vast NBA career. Our HC has no NBA experience from a players perspective. He can surround himself with experienced staff members who have none either. It can work. No doubt about it. Worked for Cremins and Hewitt and others. Having said that, I see Bibby as an example of a guy who could be a huge plus to attract high-level talent having been there, done that. That is, been there, done that as to what kids we are trying to attract eventually aspire to. He has previous ties to the Atlanta area when playing for the Hawks. He knows the game inside and out and has viewed it from a point guard's eyes. You think he might know a thing or two schematically from game planning for 14 years in the NBA and winning gold medals for USA Basketball?

It is all a moot point likely anyway because there is - I imagine - a small likelihood that Bibby or his son come to Tech. I think you have your mindset as to what an assistant coach is supposed to look like and don't see the positives in a unique scenario that could and likely would be a huge asset in recruiting. And, we need to excel in recruiting first and foremost. We've gone with the experienced assistant coach set in the past decade and it hasn't done diddly for us. I like a unique AC skillset in a unique environment where there are a BUNCH of 2017 signing class early NBA draftee talents sitting within a 100-mile radius of our unique institution.

you make some sound arguments. we'll see how Pastner moves along with the coaching staff. I know whatever he does, either experienced or not, if he has any choice they will be high energy guys.

one point I most certainly agree, GT has done a lot of things in the past decade that hasn't done diddly.

We know from the interview circuit, he is going to hire a coach with HC experience. Not sure if Silent Bob advised that or just a growing trend?

We know from the interview circuit, he is going to hire a coach with HC experience. Not sure if Silent Bob advised that or just a growing trend?
I don't expect them all to have those qualifications, It does sound like Pastner is listening to the advice from his new AD. I think Bobinski suspects that if this doesn't go well, he'll be gone before the coach.

This is just my own opinion and totally unfounded, probably wrong, but here goes....
Vacancy 1)A recruiter. Must have local ties to state of Ga. I.E.: Charlton Young, Cliff Warren type. Vacancy 2)A coach experienced at the collegiate level as a HC. I.E.: Dino Gaudio, Seth Greenberg type. Vacancy 3)A young coach with energy. Up and coming. Might have a Ga. Tech background.

This is just my own opinion and totally unfounded, probably wrong, but here goes....
Vacancy 1)A recruiter. Must have local ties to state of Ga. I.E.: Charlton Young, Cliff Warren type. Vacancy 2)A coach experienced at the collegiate level as a HC. I.E.: Dino Gaudio, Seth Greenberg type. Vacancy 3)A young coach with energy. Up and coming. Might have a Ga. Tech background.

I think that is a fair expectation.

Why do you guys keep settling for mediocrity?

The assistant coaching staff should be John Calipari, Rick Pitino (for the hookers), and Gregg Marshall.

It's thinking small like you guys continually do that keeps holding Tech back. Sheesh.

Plus, Texwood needs guys who are disgruntled. Maybe Pitino fits that bill. I dunno.

:p

Why do you guys keep settling for mediocrity?

The assistant coaching staff should be John Calipari, Rick Pitino (for the hookers), and Gregg Marshall.

It's thinking small like you guys continually do that keeps holding Tech back. Sheesh.

Plus, Texwood needs guys who are disgruntled. Maybe Pitino fits that bill. I dunno.

:p

You are correct Gregg Marshall should be on all lists. You left Popovich off though. Guys named Gregg seem to be a pattern

C-

- Dr. Chen

C-?

Oh hell yes!

Reminders of my days at Ma Tech. Just remember, Hugh Hardison, Bruce Dalrymple and I all got degrees from Tech. Proof that it isn't that difficult.

I'm getting confused what thread I'm in(that shouldn't take much to do, Blake Wood is still right-handed, right?).

Charlie Moore coming to visit. I don't have any substantiation yet, only a former Tech Hoop Insider electronically mailing me(privately, requested).

http://www.scout.com/college/georgia-tech/story/1663480-christian-matthews-is-all-in-for-gt

Aside from the three signees, Tech has two remaining scholarships. “Coach Pastner said he is looking to get a post player grad transfer and he really would like to get a 2016 point guard.” Coach Pastner let Chris know that he feels he can get one to come in and accomplish what he is looking for.

Chris will report to Tech for orientation on June 15th. “Coach Pastner already had every date for us down pat. He is well organized and I can tell he is a tireless worker.” Chris knows he has to be ready to come in and work hard. “I can’t let the coach out work me (laughing).”

Damn. That's bad news about Romello. But, I guess this is the risk of making a coaching change.

Good luck to Romello wherever he lands. I hope Tech gives him an unconditional release. Take the high road.

So how does Pastner handle this development with White? Right now I think he has the ability to have unrestricted contact since he has signed and LOI. After the release he can still recruit him, but contact will be restricted.

I wonder if he thinks his game doesn't match well with Pastner's plans?

I don't think his game is a mismatch at all. He's an athlete, should want a faster tempo to showcase his skills. Much more entertaining to watch and play in.

The fact he gave a verbal to Tenn. in 2015, then had so much interest after his Sr. Year with our coaching change....if he hadn't signed with CBG in the fall, I'm not so sure that our previous staff could have inked him this spring.

It's not over. Wait and see if we can get Charlie Moore and a Post Player. White might get more excited.

More rumors on White.
Not sure if his grades slipped during his Senior Year? Academics could be a problem with admittance to Tech. If so, the family might need an out for another opportunity.

More rumors on White.
Not sure if his grades slipped during his Senior Year? Academics could be a problem with admittance to Tech. If so, the family might need an out for another opportunity.
Problem with the early signing period and the LOI.... Players who don't get their final grades. I wonder if White is going to become an NCAA academic redshirt. (new rule for 2016 signees)

There are also rampant rumors about Romello White’s grades and whether he will be able to attend and compete in the Fall. If White does get out of his Letter of Intent, he is not going to be able to immediately play for an ACC institution. Josh Pastner will also likely bar him from transferring to Georgia.​

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT