ADVERTISEMENT

Lady J's 2016, late signing period(3).

Diouf was a 4-star(I know how you feel about stars, but just maybe...)and had good competition with her tall brothers at an early age. My gal Fortune needs to improve as much as your little Tilford did between the last two years.

The chemistry looks good on paper, as you said with Kat. leading and the team liking each other last year(something noticed after the games).

Francesca Pan signing release from rr.com... http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/050516aab.html

“Francesca Pan is a phenomenal talent,” Joseph said. “She is a big guard that can score and she has played at a very high level for her entire career. We are excited to welcome her and her family to Georgia Tech.

“I expect Francesca to be an impact player for us from day one,” Joseph said. “Her ability to shoot the 3 with range and rebound with post players is what makes her special.”

Thanks for all the links and video, Brother.

I like hearing about the rebounding skills, that is something Henry Bruce Dalrymple brought the MBB Team and is invaluable. Pan has the long reach, glad to hear about her toughness because the mindset/attitude can help her succeed at the collegiate level with all-around complete game fortitude skills.

Watching Pan's videos, her range is amazing. She's taking shots from waaaaay outside what will be the American NCAA 3-pt line. That ability to stretch a defense far out and open spaces is one of the most unheralded, un-talked about, and underappreciated characteristics that an outside deep bomber can affect the game. The thing that also makes her so dangerous is that once you go out there to guard that range, she shows the ability to put the ball on the floor, drive in, and pull up for the mid-range jumper when she wants to.

The defenders in the ACC will be quicker and more physical than what she's used to in the Euro game. That's an adjustment she'll have to make of course. But, I really like the potential here. Very high ceiling. Being 6'1"-6'2" is just gravy as - like Kat - she has the ability to just shoot over most defenders (as well as entry pass to posts over defenders as well).

Huge get for the program.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
I really liked TJ Gortnar. The knee injuries crippled her playing career very early on with the Jackets. She was very skilled, nice touch and could get physical in the paint. May not have nearly the range of Pan, but very accomplished in Slovenia U19.

Nothing against Choma or Antonia or any of the other international types, but the above mentioned Tjssa and Francesca have that raw talent athleticism that physically makes you better than that opponent across from you.

Tech has such an incredible reputation internationally, it just makes perfect sense to utilize that as a drawing tool in recruiting. Coach Jo gets it. I wish CPJ could somehow parlay Gotsis' success into something similar. Recruiting focus in FB and Men's Hoops and practically every other sport at Tech should and always will be our own backyard first and foremost. Not suggesting that should change, but it can be leveraged for sure. Get those satellite camps going in Australia and Fiji, CPJ! Get your ass off the golf course. ;)

Luke Schenscher still has a posse I believe. Rock Horns

BOOM! Welcome to Atlanta, Chanin Scott!

Chanin Scott
WING
CLASS: 2016
SCOUTS GRADE

Charlotte, NC
HOMETOWN
Myers Park
HIGH SCHOOL
6-0
HEIGHT

WEIGHT

OVERALL RANK
POSITION RANK
STATUS
Signed
ALSO CONSIDERED
No schools available.
ESPN PLAYER EVALUATIONSEvaluationOn The TrailConversation
Battle-in-the-'boro-July 2015: Athletic perimeter prospect with college-ready frame manufactures, elevates in mid-range game; contributes in uptempo, finishes on break; active on glass; versatile defender. (Olson)

Thought about posting the Kentucky transfers/back outs, a few days back because we need a few with the Cryor situation and having 15 schollies. Didn't because of the '17 class upcoming and Grad. Transfers still out there.

Chris Hansen has a good article from 6 months ago on the epidemic of transferring:
https://prospectsnation.com/team/kentucky

4:02 PM. CDT May 17, 2016
(Photo: WHAS 11)
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WHAS11) – The six feet tall UK recruit Chanin Scott has been released from her letter of intent and will go elsewhere to play basketball. She is the seventh player or recruit to leave the program since last fall.

Coach Mitchell said the women have all left for various reasons including changes in coaching staff.

Last edited:
Taking a stab at the roster depth:
PG-Tilford, Cook, Pugh(December)
2G-Antonia P., Pan(who can play the "4" on D, with a three guard lineup), Pugh(Dec.)
SF-Kat, Scott, Howard
Post-Zaire, Diouf, Fortune(although if she makes strides like C.G., she could bump the ath. Fresh.)
C-E.E., Chelsea G., Avram

Don't forget Julia Grey. She'll be in the mix in the front court.

Taking a stab at the roster depth:
PG-Tilford, Cook, Pugh(December)
2G-Antonia P., Pan(who can play the "4" on D, with a three guard lineup), Pugh(Dec.)
SF-Kat, Scott, Howard
Post-Zaire, Diouf, Fortune(although if she makes strides like C.G., she could bump the ath. Fresh.)
C-E.E., Chelsea G., Avram

North Carolina wing ranked No. 41 nationally by ESPN

Chanin Scott
May 23, 2016
THE FLATS - North Carolina wing Chanin Scott has signed a Grant-in-Aid to play at Georgia Tech and complete the Yellow Jackets' 2016 signing class, head coach MaChelle Joseph announced.

Scott joins Francesca Pan (6-1 wing - Italy), Zutorya Cook (5-7 guard - Marietta, Ga.) and Anne Francoise Diouf (6-4 post - Dakar, Senegal). Georgia Tech's 2016 signing class is ranked No. 12 in the country by Prospects Nation.

"I am very excited to add a student-athlete of Chanin's ability to our women's basketball program," Joseph said. "She fits our core values and her desire to be the best in the classroom and on the court are impressive.

"We are looking forward to having Chanin and her family join our Georgia Tech women's basketball family," Joseph said. "She played for Barbara Nelson, who is one of the highest regarded high school coaches in the country and high school coach of former Tech women's basketball player Jill Ingram. There is no doubt Chanin will come in ready to make an impact."

She helped Myers Park High School win two consecutive North Carolina Class 4A state championships in 2014 and 2015, and she is rated as the No. 41 wing nationally by ESPN. During her senior season, she averaged 16.0 points, 11.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 3.0 steals and 2.0 blocks for Myers Park.

Scott was named 2016 SW4A Conference Player of the Year as well as first-team All-District and first-team All-State. She was a finalist for the 2016 North Carolina Gatorade Player of the Year. As a junior, she averaged 12.3 points, 9.0 rebounds and 3.0 steals en route to first-team SW4A All-Conference, All-State and All-District honors.

However, her success wasn't limited to basketball. A three-sport star, she was also a letterwinner for the Myers Park volleyball team, leading them to a 36-9 record in two seasons while being named conference player of the year as a senior. She was also the North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association 3A state champion in the 400 meters as a freshman at the Charlotte Latin School.

"The addition of Chanin Scott gives Georgia Tech a versatile athlete to complete their class," said Keil Moore, National Recruiting Analyst for ProspectsNation. "From a national stand point, she is one of the most explosive athletes in the 2016 class. She has the ability to be an impactful on-ball defender, excel in transition, and attack the offensive and defensive glass with success."

GEORGIA TECH 2016 WOMEN'S BASKETBALL SIGNING CLASS
Zutorya Cook (G, 5-7, Marietta, Ga.)
Anne Francoise Diouf (P, 6-4, Dakar, Senegal)
Francesca Pan (W, 6-1, Bassno del Grappa, Italy)
Chanin Scott (W, 6-0, Charlotte, N.C.)

We needed a couple of gals who could put the ball in the basket, whether long range or close in. They not only meet our needs, but we get 4 years from each(that's the plan).

Thanks, mate. Welcome, Chanin. Kudos to the staff for finishing off the spring period strong.

While you were gone(forgive the choice of words), JF61 came by and picked my "Grey" area. Any thoughts on her in the inside mix? She is tall.

Well, we didn't see any of her in games so nothing to base analysis on.

During warm-ups, you can't tell anything. The practice I witnessed was before she joined the team. Not that a practice is like a game experienced. She's not on schollie to my knowledge. Will have to "see" her break through before including her in the loop.

You are spot on, brain working good, thoughts of reason in place. I clear you to post, Badmitton, Rugby, included.

Thanks for the heads up, mate. Especially on Cha Sweeney's transfer. Nice.

We need all the help we can get to add depth in the backcourt. We have the one opening with CC gone now for this season. Very good fit. Woohoo!

Does this look reasonable for the upcoming season?...

PG
Tilford 5-5 Jr.
Cook 5-7 Fr.
Sweeney 5-2 Grad.

SG
Peresson 5-9 Jr.
Scott 6-0 Fr.
Pugh 5-9 So. (eligible after fall semester)

SF
Vuckovic 6-3 Sr.
Pan 6-2 Fr.
Howard 6-0 So.

PF
O'Neil 5-11 Jr.
Fortune 6-3 So.
Avram 6-3 Jr.

C
Edeferioka 6-3 Jr.
Guimaraes 6-3 So.
Diouf 6-4 Fr.

Notes:
*Need Cook and/or Sweeney to step up for depth behind Tilford at PG
*Scott and Howard could be switched between the 2 and 3 positions
*Good depth at SG (especially when Pugh is eligible), SF, and C
*Need Fortune to step up to provide depth behind O'Neil at PF...will have a keen eye on Diouf as well
*13 of the 15 players return next season...only lose Kat and Sweeney
*Overall, much better depth than Coach Jo has had to turn to the last few years IMO

I'm liking how this roster has evolved. Looks significantly better than it did just a few months ago. Great job by CMJ and staff. CMJ is over in Spain at the FIBA U17 World Championships right now hopefully being seen and getting some good evaluations done. There's a point guard for Italy that plays really good defense and shoots lights out from deep. Would love to see her in W&G one day and keep that Italia pipeline going. The in-your-face defense she plays picking up the PG at halfcourt and making her life hell is just the kind of player Coach Jo loves. Small in stature, yes, but can bury 3-pointers from 24+ feet out. Impressive.

Looks good to me, JT!

Thanks Richard, my mom and grand mom were both 5'2". Mother was too short for the airlines back then as a stewardess, however was hired to model for Sak's, Aansco, et al.

Hopefully, height doesn't match heart or true beauty.

Side note, Team USA U17's defeated France by 11 today, though the final score is not indicative of how close the game was. I believe the U.S. held France scoreless over the final 5 or 6 minutes to pull away at the end.

USA will play Australia on Friday morning at 10amET in the semifinals. Check it out via YouTube if you get a chance. Should be a fantastic game pitting the two favorites.

Thanks for the heads up.
Will try to get back to catch some of it or find a replay.

What are your thoughts on this top 12 class that just added one? Was that enough to bee top 10?
This reminds me of the one Whiteside was in. Taylor coming in late. Realizing we lost Brittany Jackson, McDonald, etc.-but on paper it did look good to me.

It is an outstanding class. We got a potential superstar in Pan...difference maker type of potential.

Got length in Diouf, athleticism in Scott and much-needed backcourt help in Cook. Overall, a fantastic signing class. The one-year addition of Sweeney is just tasty gravy on top at this point.

Pan should be playing for the U20 Italian team I believe in the upcoming Euro Championships (July 9-17) - the same one Guimaraes is playing in for Portugal. I look forward to watching some of that and will do my best to post schedules, YouTube links, and postgame summaries whenever possible. Hope OK to just leave in this WBB thread.

One thing to add...CMJ absolutely has - like CJP and all the other program HC's - a very nice package to sell to recruits. The WBB players tend to have a much better head on their shoulders when it comes to focus on academics and what a world class institution in a major city can do for them long-term in life.

Having said that, it is obvious that CMJ and staff absolutely have to upgrade the talent to compete - no, make that "survive" - in the new ACC with ND, Louisville, and Syracuse in particular now as members. As competitive as Coach Jo is, it absolutely has to be killing her (read: motivation) to miss the NCAAT 2 years in a row.

High-level players from Europe can be a solid solution for her. Fostering that pipeline makes sense. I wish our FB team (hello Gotsis, though an Aussie and not from Europe per se) would explore it more...same for MBB. They are typically far more focused academically, often far more humble (no Susan Lucci diseases), more mature, and appreciative of what they have in front of them, etc.

Then again, we need to close on young ladies like Nelson-Ododa as an example. When you have a 3.8 GPA student who wants to be a surgeon within 60 miles from campus, we need to be attractive as all get out for a super S-A like her. CMJ is the Senior and most recognizable head coach in the state of GA now that Black Shoe Polish Head is gone from Hell. Btw, speaking of, Landers and Ratface must use the same Black Shoe Polish on their heads. Amazing. Not a hair of grey on those 60+ year olds. Simply amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT