ADVERTISEMENT

Lady J's 2016, late signing period(3).

I'm nearing that age, and I can't color between the "hair" lines like they do! Tip to the wise, use a shade lighter than your actual, real, former color.

The Italy coach is the best of them all. Not impressed with the American coach at all. If the Italian coach had the talent of the American roster, they would destroy everybody in sight. Well, the Italian coach likely picks a different American roster too (read: far more disciplined). I expect the Aussies will defeat the U.S. tomorrow in the semifinals. I hope not of course.

U.S. just misses too many shots underneath the basket and is horrible at the FT line which will come back to haunt them. Christyn Williams from Arkansas is by far the best scorer and she has to have a monster game potentially to beat Australia.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
The FIBA U20 Euro Championships starts tomorrow (July 9, Saturday) in Matosinhos, Portugal. Two Lady J's will be in action with their national teams: rising Sophomore Chelsea Guimaraes with hosts Portugal and newcomer Francesca Pan with Team Italy.

The pool play schedules are as follows...

Sat, July 9
11:15amET - Italy vs Germany
3:15pm - Portgual vs Bosnia & Herzegovina

Sun, July 10
9:00am - Italy vs Serbia
3:15pm - Portugal vs Spain

Tue, July 12
11:15am - Italy vs Sweden
3:45pm - Portugal vs Poland

All teams advance to the Round of 16 - seeds, matchups, times, etc., TBA after pool play.

The games will be streamed live via FIBA's YouTube channels... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCXERy73Oiz8ExJxBzIE-2rfW8lhtNx9x

I look forward to checking out and rooting for Chelsea and Francesca over the next week. Good luck to each of them.

As buzzforlife has linked, Chelsea is blogging from her time prepping and at this event. Here's the Italian roster FWIW... http://www.fiba.com/europe/u20women/2016/Italy#|tab=roster

There's our new Yellow Jacket...Francesca Pan for Italy.

Looking forward to watching against German right now via FIBA's YouTube link (posted above in earlier reply).

She's #11 in BLUE.

Interesting that the FIBA U20 Euro Championships roster site has her listed as 5'11". Most recruiting sites had/have her listed at 6'2". She's likely somewhere in between. But, looking at her lined up with her teammates, she looks to be closer to 6'1" than 5'11". Either way, nice to have that height out on the perimeter and then to go inside when needed.

Cm2T244WcAEE_-N.jpg

Pan looked good in the first half so far. Came in as about the 3rd sub late 1Q and played half of the 2Q (about 7 minutes total). She scored 7 points. Went 1 for 3 from outside the arc. Had a very strong drive and pull up jumper from the elbow and then drew a shooting foul driving to the glass and dropping both FT's. Nice pump of adrenaline off the bench for Italy.

Italy defeats Germany, 61-54. Pan played pretty much the entire 2nd half and certainly all of the 4Q when the game was tight throughout. As my Dad, a pretty successful high school coach back in the 50's and 60's, always said...it isn't about starting, it is who the coach has on the court with 5 minutes to go in a close game when he or she shows who their top 5 are.

We got a good one in Pan for certain. Looking forward to watching Chelsea at 3:15.

Pan's final line...

PT = 23:18
Pts = 7
FG = 2 of 6
2FG = 1 of 1
3FG = 1 of 5
FT = 2 of 2
REB = 1
ASST = 0
STEALS = 2
TO = 2
PF = 4
Blocks = 1

Portugal wins 94-67. Chelsea was fantastic. Hitting outside jumpers. Running the floor. Lots of boards. Started and willing to bet she came close to a double-double, if not got it and then some. Will post her final stat line once available.

I posted more than once that I thought she was (by far) the best freshman this past season. She looks even better. Great to see a Lady J post player who can hit the 15 foot jumper. Makes a whale of difference in drawing defenders out and creating space.

Francesca Pan starting today for Italy in Game 2 of pool play versus Serbia. And, she gets the first bucket for Team Italy.

Italy goes to 2-0 in pool play with a convincing win over Serbia, 68-41. Unfortuntely though, they lost one of their best players to a knee injury. Was sad to see as she came down wrong on it before scoring under the basket and being fouled in the process. She immediately went down in agony and looked like it could potentially be a ligament tear. Have seen it far too many times.

Pan's line today...

PT = 31:10
Pts = 14
FG = 6 of 15
2FG = 5 of 13
3FG = 1 of 2
FT = 1 of 3
REB = 6 (3 off, 3 def)
STEALS = 4
ASST = 1
TO = 1

Guimaraes & Portugal scheduled to host rival Spain at 3:15ET today.

Great coverage as usual! If Tech folks go to the other three main sites, they won't find this type of news all inclusive.

Glad to see Pan going "inside" the far stripe for 13 shots vs. 2 from long distance.

An impressive comeback win by Portugal over their rival. Down by 12 at the half, Portugal came storming back to win a thriller, 64-60, icing it at the line at the end. Chelsea was terrific.

In her blog, Chelsea advised Spain is one of the favorites and Spain had already beaten Portugal in a pre-tournament scrimmage. Awesome!

Guimaraes stat line in win over Spain...

PT = 28:13
Pts = 7
FG = 2 of 3
FT = 3 of 4
REB = 5
ASST = 1
TO = 4
STEAL = 1
BLOCKS = 2

I misstated the halftime score in earlier reply. Portugal was actually down by 14, 29-15, at the half. Spain outscored Portugal in the 2Q, 19-2. Portugal won the second half, 49-31. Both Italy and Portugal are 2-0 in pool play.

Really enjoyed that comeback by Portugal. Very happy for Chelsea. Good pic of Coach Jo and Pan's parents. Nice! Thanks for posting that.

Remaining schedule from fiba.com...

Monday: no games

Tuesday: final games of group play...Italy vs Sweden, 11:15amET...Portugal vs Poland, 3:45pmET

Assuming both Italy and Portugal win their groups as they should, they will play as follows on Wednesday in the Round of 16...

Portugal vs Group B 4th place (likely Sweden) at 9amET

Italy vs Group A 4th place (likely Bosnia & Herzegovina) at 11:15amET

Will have to keep an eye on the knee injury sustained today by the Italian player. Likely will lead to the need for more production/contribution from Francesca.

Refreshing to see Chelsea coming on so well, and all the work she has put in during this off season through these games....more to come afterwards.

Reminds me not to expect the world from Francesca as a freshman, although she is a talent!

Thanks for the rundown of the games to come this week, along with all the previous Intel.

The good thing with Pan is there is no pressure on her really. She can and probably will come off the bench as a true frosh behind Kat (or Antonia at the 2 before Pugh is eligible). That's some pretty good depth.

Chelsea is getting up and down the floor better it appears to me. She looks to be in better shape. Just a rising soph. Very encouraging. Obviously, rooting for Italy and Portugal to face one another in the championship in a week.

Francesca and Italy tipping off against Sweden...

edit note update: with 4 minutes to go in the 1st half, Pan is the only Italian player without any playing time. She has not come out of her shooting shirt on the bench. I don't know if she is ill or what. Italy pretty much has the top spot in the group wrapped up so may be precautionary. We'll see...

Last edited:
Great game between Chelsea and Portugal against Poland. Poland was up 12 early in the 4Q. Teams are each trading great shot after great shot here at the end with the lead see-sawing back and forth. 24 seconds left, Portugal down 1, with the ball.

edit note: Poland gets the win, 77-74...Chelsea once again played very well...great game

I thought Chelsea played better than her stat line indicates, but here it is...

PT = 29:30
PTS = 7
FG = 1 of 8
FT = 5 of 9
REB = 8
ASST = 5
TO = 2

Round of 16 starts Wednesday...

Italy vs Bosnia & Herzegovina, 11:15amET
Portugal vs Serbia, 3:45pmET

Francesca Pan enters the game for Italy at the 4-minute mark of the 1Q (first sub off bench). So, she's playing today and appears OK. Good to see. And, she immediately scores a bucket on her first touch.

Italy advances over Bosnia & Herzegovina, 76-69, after surprisingly losing the lead at the end of the 3Q.

Pan's outstanding stat line today...

PT = 31:09
PTS = 18
FG = 8 of 14
2FG = 7 of 10
3FG = 1 of 4
FT = 1 of 3
REB = 4
STEALS = 5!!
ASST = 1
TO = 1

Italy advances to the quarterfinals on Friday facing Latvia at 1:30pmET.

Chelsea Guimaraes and Portugal tip off later today at 3:45pmET in their Round of 16 game against Serbia.

Portugal vs Serbia:

Tough loss for Chelsea and Portugal. She did well. Looking forward to seeing her in her 2nd season at Ma Tech.

Italy making a valiant comeback right now. Down as many as 14 in the 3Q. Have fought back to cut it to 2 with 5:40 left in the game. Good stuff.

What an incredible comeback win by Francesca Pan and her Italian teammates. They outscored Latvia, 24-6, in the 4th quarter to go on for the 61-54 quarterfinal win. The Italian players, bench and coaches went wild at the end when the game was sealed. Fun stuff.

Francesca and Italy now head to the semifinals tomorrow at 3:45pmET against the winner of Serbia-France, who will tip off the late game shortly.

Pan played near the entire game. Their star, Cecilia Zandalasini, had 31 pts and 11 boards. She is eligible for the WNBA draft in 2018 per EuroBasket. I guess all of the NCAA powerhouses missed out on her. She's terrific.

Italy wins another thriller. This time in OT. Moves on to the championship at 2:45pmET tomorrow against Spain.

Pan comes up with a huge rebound of a missed FT at the end to seal it for Italy.

Francesca Pan's stat line...

PT = 30:52
PTS = 6
FG = 2 of 7
2FG = 1 of 3
3FG = 1 of 4
FT = 1 of 2
REB = 6
ASST = 3
TO = 1
STEALS = 2

ADVERTISEMENT