ADVERTISEMENT

2016-2017 GTMBB

The Jackets had their chances. They missed a few free throws and a couple lay-ups in the second half.

Also they held Lammers on that last inbound play. Too bad he couldn't get up there and dunk that ball.

The basketball turned back into a pumpkin today, and the glass slipper shattered.... UVA showing us how talent and experience = good ranked team!

UVA is an excellent program right now. I can't say that I was surprised by that outcome. The team got behind early and had trouble getting back into the game. That's why missing on the VPI game was a big loss. Any game that close this season will be a critical game for the team to win.

Next up is the top team in the ACC right now. FSU. 6-1 ACC 18-2 overall.

Wednesday at 7pm. Tough challenge. FSU is averaging 85 points per game.

Per Rivals:
Also, given some of the troubles that he had his last few seasons at Memphis, Josh Pastner is off to a promising start at Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets don’t have a lot of talent and some even predicted that they would go winless in the ACC this season and instead they are 11-8 overall and 3-4 in conference play.

We already passed my two win total in which a friend was howling at me last year, asking if I was now replacing my coffee with yellow flavored kook-aid.

We already passed my two win total in which a friend was howling at me last year, asking if I was now replacing my coffee with yellow flavored kook-aid.
This team is not completely void of talent. As I said, I was expecting 4 wins. So far it looks like they can get there. But the second time through might be more difficult. UVA really did a fine job denying Lammers the ball. It completely changed the offensive effectiveness. Hopefully the other teams will not be able to execute that plan.

I was expecting a little more from McCormick. So far his production as a shooter hasn't shown up. Okogie has been a real surprise. His production is outstanding for a freshman.

Last time we beat two top 10 teams?
2004(which might be the last time we were .500 in ACC play after 8 games?).

The defense is the story. As Okogie goes, is as the offense goes. When he drives to the hoop, multiple defenders navigate to him-& it opens up gaps for Lammers and wide- open 3's!

M.J. & Jordan got a nice view of what is yet to come!! Walker&Tucker and two more bigs needed(can be Grad. Trfs.).

WOW!!!!

GO JACKETS!

what a game...

BAJ brother;
Care to revise your 4 win conference projection?

If we don't win another(Tusculum aside), I'm more than content with how we've gained these 12 wins(still have regrets concerning the Dawg game). Ohio and Tenn. and Penn. St., would probably not beat us today. I've stopped projecting, thinking I'll try to enjoy the remainder of the season. We might still be amongst the first four out, but for the first time in almost forever, we are in the conversation. Last year with 6 seniors, I knew we had a ceiling. With this coaching staff....who knows what??

BAJ brother;
Care to revise your 4 win conference projection?

Nope. that was my expectation while others were predicting maybe 1 or 2. many ZERO. This team can play extremely well. The defense is outstanding at times. The offense can get on great long runs. Awesome. Still streaky. But that's ok because they are young as a team and still only 1/2 way through their first ACC season together.

Everything from this point is just extra whipped cream and cherries on top.

Reactions: Buzzforlife

The bottom of the bracket was impacted by last night's games too. Most notably, Georgia Tech has crawled in as an 11-seed. The Yellow Jackets have a poor-man's version of Indiana's profile. The Hoosiers have a couple of home run wins over Kansas and North Carolina, a couple of questionable losses to Nebraska at home and at IPFW, and a high number of games against some of the lowest-rated teams in Division I. They are just 6-6 against the top 200 teams in the RPI, which is generally not a good thing.
Georgia Tech has a couple of home run wins over FSU and UNC, a couple of questionable losses at home to Georgia and Ohio, and a high number of games against some of the lowest-rated teams in D-I. The difference is that the Yellow Jackets are just 12-8 overall, which is the bare minimum record in terms of games above .500 to have a chance to get into the bracket. They are just 6-8 against the RPI top 200. So, while those big wins have pushed Georgia Tech into the field for now, its margin for error is very small.

Reactions: Texwood
Amazing that GT is getting any NCAA playoff discussion at all.

Can they go 2-2 in the next 4 an stay in the hunt?
Notre Dame
@ Clemson
@ Wake Forest
Boston College

Seems like that could happen.

They might win 3 of 'em?
Wow, am I the giddy guy?
ND-decent chance at home. Sellout crowd anticipated.
@Clem.-beat them here, should be close. VPI taught us something.
@WF-might be tougher than winning in the new DRad arena/tiger den. Big man & scoring parts.
B.C.-much improved team from winless '15-'16 bunch. Tech is better, & @ TerrorDome.

I seem to do better when I talk up the other team....

So let's keep that line going. What an awesome game today. Notre Dame was again befuddled by the defense. GT forced them into taking a lot of shots outside. And they didn't fall. Against another tam that might not happen. Let's see what happens when we see some of these teams the second time around.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
If you listened to Pastner's post game presser, he mentions that Cremins asked about getting tickets to future games, and Pastner told him that his name was on the court, and if he wanted to he could sit on the bench as head coach and he'd slide over to be the assistant coach. He basically told Cremins you can sit anywhere in the building you want....good stuff!

I'd love to see another road win. Clemson will be the first team to see this Pastner team twice. That might be an interesting dynamic. Will either team be able to do something new and different? This weekend Clemson fought for their first win in a few weeks and are now 2-6 in the ACC. GT is 5-4 in the ACC.

ACC Stats
Clemson is averaging 71.6 points per game
GT is averaging 65.9.

GT's opponents are averaging 68.6 points per game. (Duke's 110 point game is obviously skewing this number, AVG 63.4 without that game)
Clemson is giving up 77.3

Earlier at home GT won 75-63

With two games of 30 or more points, Okogie became just the third Tech freshman to have multiple 30-point games. The other two were two of the greatest players in school history, Mark Price and Kenny Anderson.
Fine praise for the young man. People complained about Gregory's recruiting but Okogie was his recruit. Pastner has been able to use his strengths this year. I hope other players see the potential of this program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT