ADVERTISEMENT

2016-2017 GTMBB

Big game tonight. For certain GT needs to get these last two home games. If they can do that and get one on the road, they are in the NCAAs

First thing is the victory tonight.

Win a few in the A.C.C. Tournament, with a 9-9 record-and we might get in that way. CJP said recently in a radio interview, he felt good because of the strength of the wins including VCU with the top ACC victories.

BAJ-
Not that I predicted too many more wins than Red, but he has been wrong several times in the past(I copied the post from the Hive below this statement):
Even Hive Heroes sometimes misjudge things. Right, Red?

From RamblinRed on 10/21/16

"Passion, I know you don't want to here this, but it is going to be a couple of years before this program even likely breaks .500. That's just the facts.
realistically this team simply doesn't have the talent to even compete with the top 8 or so teams in the ACC and has less talent than probably every team in the conference (CBSSports rated it the 2nd worst P5 program ahead of only Rutgers).
this team is likely to be favored in no more than 8 games all year. I'm hoping this team gets better as the year goes on and can outperform and win maybe 12- but even that is going to take serious effort."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having shared this, I am not saying that I know when Jordan Tucker is going to announce. Ramblin' Red told you he expects the end of March. The young man hasn't even started taking his official visits, yet. I could be more inaccurate than he is, but I stand by mid-April at the earliest-while it could drag on into May(the better scenario for us, possibly). You get a better idea of rosters, attrition, etc. by then and his scholarship offers will be on the table still(just like Walker's).

When I shared my thoughts in the recruiting thread of '17 with you, it was off the cuff. Since then, I asked around about the above kids and Blumbergs with my contacts. No verbals are imminent before signing day and they feel Grad. Trfs. will come in later as a supplement for the roster. We might not get an Andrew White type like Syracuse did, by waiting/not prioritizing-it's just not CJP's wishes to reserve spots for them first.

Last edited:
Tough loss tonight, we were favored by 6 with a 71% chance to win by KenPom. Still a shot at the buzzer didn't fall.

Here is a guy who was on(especially the first half), pretty much for the game when he got the ball....

Last edited:
CJP told Steak Shapiro off the air as he was leaving, this season has made us viable with some late signing recruits-which has been a pleasant surprise in less than a year....

I am sure the first year results are turning heads. GT obviously had more talent than others thought. Plus some added assistant coaches have certainly made that talent productive this year. This team would be so much better with some outside shooting.

BAJ brother-
Tadric, Okogie can thread the needle. We do need to get Moore a different shooting style in the off-season. The coaches are salvaging his shot right now. Alvarado is working on his three game and Haywood already can knock 'em down. Help will be on the way. Matthews is pretty good, & that is McCormick's strength. Heath and Heyward, you are correct on. Stephens is a fairly good marksman. Lammers was just short on his shots, free-throws from fatigue Sunday. He's good on the high post.

I'm not disagreeing with you, however our weakness is ACC quality depth & athleticism(not including Okogie, he is a stud athlete). We do a decent job of hiding deficiencies. Can you imagine if Josh O. went to a blueblood school, sitting this year as a 3-star? An advantage we can sell with this chemistry for at least the next few rebuilding years.

Fatigue was an issue Tuesday. Had they played Wednesday, I think it would have been a better offensive production. Lammers especially, he was short on a lot of shots that he normally drains. The coaches have gained production by shortening the bench and relying more heavily on the starters. I still believe the loss of Gueye is hurting more than most think. Just giving Lammers 6-8 minutes rest per game would be huge for his legs.

Yeah, he missed three FT's that were all short. Our team shooting stats were not very good. Other than Okogie and maybe Tadric Jackson, the offense wasn't clicking. Even ball movement was slow.

I would have hoped for a Thursday game, since NC St. played Saturday and had to travel. Rather play ND Sunday night on 2 full days rest, and Pittsburg needs to be next Wed.(not Tuesday)with Syracuse on the following Saturday.

So close, GT missed some rushed shots. ND hit a couple of prayers that kept their lead large enough to win. GT could have won it.

I don't think they have enough to make the tourney now. We will see. They will need two convincing victories to close the season and probably 1 win, maybe 2 in the ACC tourney.

Not how I thought the season would end. Tough loss to Pittsburgh.

Even an NIT bid will be tough. The lack of wins in the last few weeks has pushed the GT RPI up above 100.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the team for a nice win over Indiana last night. You can tell the difference with their rested legs!

Go Belmont!

Very nice season for the basket Jackets. I was pleased with CJP's first ride through the league. Next up... the annual Beesball meltdown.

coffee

ADVERTISEMENT