ADVERTISEMENT

Ga. Tech Basketball Recruiting(late period, April 2016), [3].

No surprise at all. Already had him crossed off my depth chart on my spreadsheet since April. Good luck to Travis with his future. I appreciate him giving Tech a shot and sorry for him that it didn't work out any better than it did from an athletic perspective. He will get a great degree that hopefully will be parlayed into something strong for him.

Tech does get a grad transfer from Eastern Michigan... http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/tech-getting-graduate-transfer-jodan-price-from-ea/nrwzG/

Welcome to has-to-be-skinny-at-172-pounds (I'm just jealous) 6'7" guard, Jodan Price.

I guess it is impolite to be critical of another S.A. before he suits up for a game, but this must be for depth only. The WBB Team seemed to get the better guard athletically from EMU.

Writing off this next season, he won't hurt us or the future numbers. He must be ultra smart to come here for his graduate studies?

Low case scenario... CJP just needs healthy bodies for practices.

Worst case scenario... guys get hurt and we need him for significant minutes in games

Tech adds another grad transfer for next season. As has been rumored, Western Michigan's Kellen McCormick, will be on roster next season. 6'8" stretch 4. This is good.

http://www.todaysu.com/u-news/georgia-tech-adds-another-transfer-kellen-mccormick/

https://georgiatech.n.rivals.com/news/mccormick-to-join-the-jackets-on-the-hardwood

bkn13hik9i4qkngflqq3

Last edited:
Point Guards (3): Moore-FR, Heath-SR (rehabbing from off-season surgery), Heyward-SR (assuming he plays this winter...practice body or insurance in case other 2 are injured/ill/etc.)

Shooting Guards (2): Jackson-JR, Okogie-FR (both should play A LOT...each could play some point as well if CJP wants 'em both on the court at same time)

Small Forwards (3): Stephens-SR, Matthews-FR, Price-Grad (Price may be a 2, but probably doesn't matter as more likely will be like Heyward description above)

Power/Stretch Forwards (2): Ogbonda-FR, McCormick-Grad (could start, but likely will play a lot as I think CJP will want 1 post and 4 perimeter guys...Q can play stretch 4 as well...in fact, Ogbonda could move into 3-man depth at single post player behind Lammers and with Gueye)

Center (2): Lammers-JR, Gueye-SO

12 scholarship players for '16-'17. 1 open ship that could be awarded to a Rowland or if another late grad transfer falls in CJP's lap (unlikely).

I think CJP is most likely to sign...

'17 Class = 4 (unless 1 or 2 more can't miss studs want to jump on the train...let's hope so)

'18 Class = 4 (wouldn't be surprised to see another available with one of the underclass post guys leaving)

Let's HOPE by '19 we are dealing with guys leaving early and all that stuff which HC's have to deal with these days. We haven't had to worry about those kinds of concerns in a while and our record is indicative of it (IMO).

In agreement with all of the above. One tiny, tiny, tiny, big man exception....Ogbonda ahead of Gueye by all counts, I'm told. We will have to see for ourselves or in time, so I will go with your probable reasoning of a So.-R. over a Fr.-R.(please let him learn to not bring the ball all the way down past his shorts when tossing outlet passes to start the break).

Don't want to see Josh in the Coronary Unit at Emory before he is 40!

I do have Ogbonda as the starter at the 4. That's ahead of Gueye. I said if the 4 is moved to a stretch position (read: Q or McCormick...and that very well may happen) and Ogbonda is moved to the 5, he will be behind Lammers and with Gueye (as a backup).

Sorry mate, my bad. I'm so ticked off about what looks like Richard getting dissed again, I can't see straight.

Think I need Reading Comprehension 101, back at GSU. Do they still have Developmental Studies in colleges? Other than "Hell to the East", which is a party planning time waster?

No need to apologize, mate. And, don't even get me started on how stupid the leadership is at the GTAA and how blind they are to one of the best "voices of the Yellow Jackets" sitting right under their noses and they won't even apparently give a sniff. Yet just another of the long list (and growing) examples of mistakes and mismanagement I've just become accustomed to unfortunately.

Putting that aside, I fully expect CJP to play 1 guy in the paint and that guy most likely will be Lammers the vast majority of the time. In fact, I think Lammers showed a lot this past season and grew right before our eyes as the season progressed. By February, he was playing some solid ball in all facets of the game. I'm under no delusion as I know you aren't that we are going to be a winning team next year. Having said that, I know you agree I still want to see the guys be as successful as they can be (read: not flushing the season just because of the gloom and doom).

Remains to be seen obviously, but I can see Q and McComick playing the stretch-4 quite a bit with both T-Jax and Okogie on the floor at the same time. Matthews will be the wild card. I admit I am less familiar with his game. The little bit of film I saw a few months showed me a guy that runs the floor well (as he should at that position and size), can get to the glass, but may be limited in ball handling as a lot of freshmen are. With a few exceptions, most freshmen are complete liabilities defensively. I expect CJP to play for the future which means he will give his freshmen a lot of playing time. In some ways though that is a thought from the DUUUUUUH Department because he doesn't really have much choice considering the lack of experienced depth.

Come December, we may be exchanging thoughts about how big of a pick up McCormick is/was, particularly this late in the process.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
I believe you would fit in with this staff, if you can fly in and live off that 622k in interest each day. Compounding aside, you knocked the proverbial ball through the hoop. When you volunteer to help them since they have no paid openings available, please don't invite me to practice. I only play against my son now. If Lammers whacked me with an elbow, I'd beeee dizzied like a Jacket getting swatted by a Tar Heeled Devil this coming year.

Seriously, I'm more in your camp with Pastner opening it up, more than when he first accepted this challenge. These practices have been displaying that fast paced tempo. Those limber dudes like Moore, Price and McCormick will show such-as you are alluding to. Has to help Jackson, Q and the freshmen. You nailed it, and that short lineup, especially when depth is thin, quantifies everything!

Clemson remains in the picture for Missouri transfer 6-8 Jakeenan Gant. The Georgia native averaged 5 points and 4 rebounds per game as a reserve for Mizzou last season. He played in 53 games in his two seasons there. Gant reportedly also is considering Georgia and Georgia Tech though a transfer within the SEC is not likely. Gant takes some NCAA baggage with him to his next stop. He was forced to sit out the first nine games of his freshman season by the NCAA for accepting improper benefits from a booster. Gant also was suspended for a game last season after being cited for possession of drug paraphernalia.

When I look at Young + Okogie + Matthews right now, I think to make a mental picture of what the program looks like now and what it hopefully will look like when their playing careers are done at Tech (hopefully coinciding with earning a degree in 3-5 years).

I hope OK to throw this in here...MGH signs training camp deal to join Celtics... http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/08/20/boston-celtics-nba-marcus-georges-hunt/

That number of bodies give a player like Georges-Hunt virtually no shot of making the opening night roster, but the team likely will give him a little guaranteed money out of the gate (like $25,000-$50,000) for coming to camp.

In return, the Celtics should be able to shuttle Georges-Hunt to the Maine Red Claws once final cuts are made, giving the hybrid guard a chance to develop with the C’s minor league affiliate for the year. Similar deals were made last season with players like Malcolm Miller and Coty Clarke, both of whom became regulars in Maine.

That's a sucker bet, I want no part of.
Didn't believe we would take him, and did not wish him upon "The Tigers with a Lake", either!

Glad to see the NBA minor leagues getting used more and more. I guess the developmental league has expanded so every NBA club has a team now

Interesting. I wonder how many other power conference schools even have ships available to offer this late in the game. We do of course. And, plenty of playing time to offer as well.

He's back from Brazil:
Justin Young
Editor-in-Chief
Colby Leifson hit nine three-pointers in the first half for the Atlanta All-Stars and finished with 35 points in a win over PSB Select Gold. The class of 2016 guard is leaving on a LDS Mission to Brazil in September. His scoring onslaught was in front of 100 college coaches. It was quite the display. Gardner-Webb has offered and BYU has extended an PWO offer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT