ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Post-season Thread

Capel might not be. Right now, he is in the running I have to at minimum believe that.

So, he is in the running for the Duke job and should not be at Tech? Odd.

Capel might not be. Right now, he is in the running I have to at minimum believe that.

No, that's not what I am trying to say. I think Capel is not nearly as attached to Duke as some suggest. I guess we will know, if he is offered and turns down 2 HC jobs in 2 years.

Duke's programs is good, and I agree, if a coach is in the running there to replace K, they should most certainly be on GTs list.

After thinking about Wojo, it makes me wish Gregory could have done a little better and held on until after the Hewitt contract was gone, then go after Wojo, but that's all hypothetical now.

Are you talking to me, bub? Are you talking to me?(in my best DeNiro, non-comedic voice)....
The major question I would throw in to the interview, is this, "Do you have any problem with adding a rotating buy-out of your contract clause, which includes up to 7 extra years of base salary as a penalty for leaving to another A C C job"? You must insist, to your agent.

I'd blame my actions on the "Brain-e Complex".

Yes, o.k. your hired. See: Stech81 for our complex drug test. JT622 for a resume rundown.

Regarding Jay Larranaga rumor... I am completely open to this guy and am not shooting him down, but looking at his bio, what is it that stands out to make this guy potentially sexy as a head coach at Tech????... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Larranaga

No head coaching experience at colleges...lots of Euro playing experience...

CONFUSED

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. That's what the wife said in Texwood's post on page 5.

Seriously, Capel can be persuaded right now. You don't wait. Those coach in waiting gizmos change on both ends. Look at college football! They don't have to select him, unless it has been added to his contract since 2011. Don't know, never heard of, but who knows?

Sorry Jay, unless Dad is coming as a "Gene Keady" mentor for the next 10 years, with no salary being paid to him-we have to go in a different direction.

Regarding Jay Larranaga rumor... I am completely open to this guy and am not shooting him down, but looking at his bio, what is it that stands out to make this guy potentially sexy as a head coach at Tech????... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Larranaga

No head coaching experience at colleges...lots of Euro playing experience...

CONFUSED

I'll be happy to shoot him down. GT can't afford to hire someone with no recruiting connections with the current roster situation.

He may be a great coach but we need players.

Reactions: Redblood23
Here are some names I hope are not part of our list of candidates in no particular odor...

-Harry Dingleberry

-Richard Hertz

-Paul Hewitt

-Seymour Hiney

-Fantasia

-Donald Trump

-Bubba The Love Sponge

-Tittie McBarstool

-Rev. Al Sharpton

-Forester Kensington, The Third

-Melvin, the Weird Oompa Loompa

-Marie Osmond

-Jim Harrick

-Jim Harrick Jr.

-Anybody named Harrick

-Anybody named Skip, Skipper, Skippy or Tad

-Matt Lauer

-Harold Finklestein

-John Feinstein

-Jimmy The Fartmeister

With the Jay Larranaga thing, I'm going back into low expectations mode. Pretty obvious that we are looking for a budget friendly hire...again. Hopefully this one turns out better than the last. Even if it doesn't, four years from now we ought to be in a position to offer ACC level compensation.

With the Jay Larranaga thing, I'm going back into low expectations mode. Pretty obvious that we are looking for a budget friendly hire...again. Hopefully this one turns out better than the last. Even if it doesn't, four years from now we ought to be in a position to offer ACC level compensation.

Nothing about this is obvious at all.

wltr.gif

Anyone catch in the comments from Jeff Goodman saying that Bobinski was using a search firm?

Glen Sugiyama?

Last edited:

I think Duke would be nuts to replace K with Capel today. My comment was that if he is our coach, I hope he does well enough here to become that guy.

I think Duke would be nuts to replace K with Capel today. My comment was that if he is our coach, I hope he does well enough here to become that guy.

Since we have already agreed to disagree, I guess it won't hurt when I say...

...JANE, YOU IGNORANT SLUT!

hqdefault.jpg

BANANA DEVILFLASHERSarcasm

Seriously, I think the two items you've stated that have kind of blown my mind are:

1. Stating a hope that Capel could be an assistant at Tech brought in by whichever non-Capel candidate is eventually hired.

2. Something about wanting a head coach who is "disgruntled" and ready to move on. Actually, I just like the word 'disgruntled'. Kind of reminds me of most of my in-laws. You can use other forms of the word like disgruntlement and it still applies to them. But, I digress. You lost me on that viewpoint.

But, we have already agreed to disagree and you are an ignorant slut and I picked the wrong week to stop smoking mushrooms... SMOKING CIGS

Quotes from Ratface (from a year ago) and Capel... http://www.albanyherald.com/sports/...cle_3c082c89-c8cd-54d7-9a07-d90910d50041.html

Capel was a candidate last year for an opening at Arizona State, but withdrew, which Krzyzewski called a “huge plus” for the team. While Capel is thought to be the successor for Krzyzewski upon his retirement, both Capel and Krzyzewski have spoken about the former ultimately leaving Duke.

“Jeff is savvy, and he is a (heck) of a coach,” Krzyzewski said last April. “But I mean, Jeff is a head coach. He’ll get something great.”

Capel told KFOR-TV in Oklahoma last week that “I feel like I’ll have that opportunity (to be a head coach again) at some point. And I think I’ll be better. I thought I was a good head coach before. I had two bad years. Again, that was my responsibility but, again, I feel like I’ve grown from that. I will make sure the next time that it’s the right decision for me and my family. And that’s really, really important to me and for me. It has to be the perfect situation because I’m in such a great situation right now.”

More... http://www.hngn.com/articles/193300...el-offered-georgia-tech-head-coaching-job.htm

Since we have already agreed to disagree, I guess it won't hurt when I say...

...JANE, YOU IGNORANT SLUT!

hqdefault.jpg

BANANA DEVILFLASHERSarcasm

Seriously, I think the two items you've stated that have kind of blown my mind are:

1. Stating a hope that Capel could be an assistant at Tech brought in by whichever non-Capel candidate is eventually hired.

2. Something about wanting a head coach who is "disgruntled" and ready to move on. Actually, I just like the word 'disgruntled'. Kind of reminds me of most of my in-laws. You can use other forms of the word like disgruntlement and it still applies to them. But, I digress. You lost me on that viewpoint.

But, we have already agreed to disagree and you are an ignorant slut and I picked the wrong week to stop smoking mushrooms... SMOKING CIGS

Well, the cheese may have slipped off my cracker - buuuut I would wear the byline 'Ignorant Slut' with pride if this site had bylines. It will be interesting to see if something concrete emerges about Capel soon, if we don't I think the top target might be someone who is still coaching.

Well, the cheese may have slipped off my cracker - buuuut I would wear the byline 'Ignorant Slut' with pride if this site had bylines. It will be interesting to see if something concrete emerges about Capel soon, if we don't I think the top target might be someone who is still coaching.

Which leads back to the point that nothing about this is obvious.
:)

More Capel... http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/recruiting-should-be-top-priority-for-tech-basketb/nqtyc/

ESPN F'ing Jacket already posted a link to this, but just to remind again...

Capel is an ace recruiter for Mike Krzyzewski: A recent ESPN poll of 60 coaches placed him No. 1 among assistants. Even if Bobinski strikes out on Capel, pursuing him suggests that recruiting is at the forefront of Bobinski’s thinking. That’s the right approach because more than anything else the Jackets need a coach who can lure better players than outgoing coach Brian Gregory, who flopped on the recruiting trail.

Perhaps, or perhaps we drew a different card?

It's looking like Valpo is on their way to the NIT championship game so we won't know for sure until Friday I suppose. If we don't hear about any progress with other candidates by then we will have to bryce ourselves for that hire. I'd prefer a proven recruiter in Capel, personally.

Who said Capel is getting the Duke job, if it should even open in the near future? I read Alphabetshitzki's comments, didn't read a guarantee in there. Sure he can recommend, but he has several ex-players to consider. Will they feel left out? Is it his decision or the AD? I've never heard anything from him(AD)publicly? No Coach-in-waiting proclamations.

Who said Capel is getting the Duke job, if it should even open in the near future? I read Alphabetshitzki's comments, didn't read a guarantee in there. Sure he can recommend, but he has several ex-players to consider. Will they feel left out? Is it his decision or the AD? I've never heard anything from him(AD)publicly? No Coach-in-waiting proclamations.

If K were to retire tomorrow, there is no way in hell Capel would be the guy. If Kevin White was hell bent on hiring a guy with ties to the university, it would be Mike Brey. It would be a stupid move to limit that job search to guys with ties - so even that wouldn't happen.

So explain to me why all this scuttlebut for the last few days, not just over here, has him waiting in the wings for Puke?

I think I really have fallen off the turnip truck this time. Already knew I was a couple of ants short of a picnic.

I think I fell off the same turnip truck. Capel looks a lot like Paul Hewitt to me. That said, the way this thing is going, Capel might be the best option. I don't think he's much of a coach, but it sure would be nice to have a legit shot at a guy like Wendell Carter...

Capel would be considered for the Duke job. No question about it. He might get the job. Might not. Can't really think of anybody else Ratface would recommend more highly than him at the moment. Collins and Wojo don't have the experience Capel does. As has been pointed out already, maybe one day in the future when Grecian Formula Boy hangs 'em up, they will.

Brey isn't leaving Notre Dame. You can forget that. Not for Duke either. Just because he was a Ratface assistant long ago doesn't mean he's leaving ND.

Capel is good enough for Duke to consider him...I think he's more than good enough for a program that has had 1 winning ACC regular season record over the last 19 seasons to consider him.

I think I fell off the same turnip truck. Capel looks a lot like Paul Hewitt to me. That said, the way this thing is going, Capel might be the best option. I don't think he's much of a coach, but it sure would be nice to have a legit shot at a guy like Wendell Carter...

Looks a lot like Paul Hewitt? How?

Hewitt came from Siena as a HC and otherwise spent most of his time following George Raveling around as an assistant. He had not been a HC at a P5 program before nor was he rated the top recruiter in the nation.

Don't see any similarities other than the color of their skin...though Capel is slightly lighter in color. ;)

Hewitt is skinnier, but far more arrogant.

Looks a lot like Paul Hewitt? How?

Hewitt came from Siena as a HC and otherwise spent most of his time following George Raveling around as an assistant. He had not been a HC at a P5 program before nor was he rated the top recruiter in the nation.

Don't see any similarities other than the color of their skin...though Capel is slightly lighter in color. ;)

Hewitt is skinnier, but far more arrogant.

Uncanny ability to lose with lots of talent. The team he had the year after Blake Griffin left was loaded - and they sucked.

I'd love to have a team which is loaded with talent again. I think I've forgotten what it is like.

We need someone who will infuse some big time talent to once again join the program. We are at least 2 years - perhaps 3 - from getting that collection of talent.

I believe the year after Griffin left there were some injuries and other personnel issues, yes? Doesn't really matter to me to be honest because Capel likely learns from that situation.

When Hewitt had two future NBA point guards on his roster, he made a deep run in the tourney - to the championship game. Everything outside of that was a big bunch of meh...

When Capel had a transcendent player in Blake Griffin. he made one deep run in the tourney - to the elite eight. Everything outside of that was less than meh.... A 43-51 record (30-51 record with vacated wins) and probation.

All that said, this is the guy I'm hoping we get because it's looking like the Valpo coach is #1 on the list.

Last edited:
I'm in Capel's Corner(kind of like Kiner's Korner), just a little darker.

....however if he takes another job( he stated the right one for himself and his family)why should he keep waiting for the unknown. That's the part befuddling me the way people are seeing this opportunity. Sure he's better than Amaker and the others, doesn't mean Brey can't be enticed.

I think we are a perfect fit and he will never compete in K's shadow(he's in Brey's scruffy beard shadow currently). Here he could be our greatest coach with a nice 25 year stint. This conference can make you or brake you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT