ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Post-season Thread

Often that is the case. But, far from always. There are probably 50+ other factors that can and do play into someone's decision as to where they desire to play or coach. And, of those other 50+ factors, we often don't know which ones are the hottest factors in the y = f(x1, x2, ..., x50, x51, ..., xn) formula.

Dixon was tired of Pitt and Pitt was tired of Dixon. Pitt also needs a new recruiting story.

When Pitt joined the Big East they decided, with no local recruiting area, to recruit metro NY with the story that they could compete in the Big East and play in MSG every year. They need a new story to tell. One way to change things is to start over. They reduced his buyout for a reason.

I agree Dixon wanted to go to his Alma Mater. Agree that other reasons play out. Different needs, people settle.
However, in college hoops particularly, the finest athletic players think they are NBA material. Coaches for the most part, want to coach the best. Hone their craft in the best league.
Certainly a Morgan Wooten is different. Always exceptions.

Yep. Dixon had been at Pitt since 1999. That's about 17 years. He's only 50 years old and has plenty of years left to coach, but originally he's from out west and spent all of his pre-Pitt days out there.

TCU is in the B12 so it isn't like he's diving to a mid-major. He's in a P5 conference...which again, happens to be his alma mater. Coaching at your alma mater can be quite the driver for some. I think of Roy going back to Carolina. Cremins and the old switcharooey thing with USCe. And, the list goes on...

Yep. Dixon had been at Pitt since 1999. That's about 17 years. He's only 50 years old and has plenty of years left to coach, but originally he's from out west and spent all of his pre-Pitt days out there.

TCU is in the B12 so it isn't like he's diving to a mid-major. He's in a P5 conference...which again, happens to be his alma mater. Coaching at your alma mater can be quite the driver for some. I think of Roy going back to Carolina. Cremins and the old switcharooey thing with USCe. And, the list goes on...

Yes, I'm certain that played heavily in his decision. His alma mater, ready for a change, Dallas metroplex far, far better than Pittsburgh, etc. Yes, (x1 + x2 + ...xn). However, with his resume, could he not have been a candidate for a higher profile job? If Purdue loses their coach, he could possibly be a candidate for a pretty good program in a real good basketball conference. Ditto Vandy. Ditto Arizona. TCU is not a has been, it is a never-was... and it plays in a sketchy, up and down basketball league dominated by KU. Yes, OU, TX, WVU, and OSU occasionally have had good to great teams. But let;s not kid ourselves, B12 basketball is on par with SEC basketball - at the bottom of the P5 heap. And... TCU is the bottom of that league.

Maybe he's altruistic, and wants to be the savior of his alma mater. I'll grant him that thought. But this is not Roy coming from KU to UNC. UNC was near (not at) the top of the heap in (arguably) the best conference at the time. Neither is it Cremins to GA Tech (below mid-major to ACC bottom dweller), nor Cremins to USCe (ACC top third team to potential top-tier team in the lowly SEC) - especially since he thought two days and found sanity.

It could just be the perfect storm for Dixon. That simple. But I think chances are high that he got tired of bumping his head against the best of the best and the TRM. He had a bad year in 2014-15, and the natives got restless. Then this year was not up to what he did in the old BE, and suddenly he bolts for TCU? What?

Maybe he's into windmills at this point. He's a darn good coach, and there's BIG money in Texas. Maybe they've got a Boone Pickens there who wants to put TCU basketball on the map. Seems odd to me.

The Big 12 was rated the top conference in the computer polls this entire season and got 7 teams (out of 10) into the Big Dance. Agree the SEC sucks.

TCU may be at the bottom and hence why they are putting the money out there to get better. Kind of reminds me of a little trade school in downtown Atlanta I know of.

As ESPNJ pointed out, Dixon liked his days in the Big East better. Even Boeheim isn't all that happy being in the ACC. He will stay at Cuse forever though because it is his alma mater. I'll be damned...there's that alma mater concept again.

I think it is a win-win for most all. I think the Pitt people were about ready to see Dixon bail. He has not taken them as high as they'd hoped. Yes, they have been annual NCAAT participants under him for the most part, but they've fallen early most of the time once they get there. This year was another edition. They feasted on a very wimpy OOC schedule this year as well. They might be happy with Stallings now, but let's wait and see on that. TCU is happy. Stallings is happy to get out of Vandy - there were rumors they may be pink slipping him soon anyway. And, I believe the Vandy fans are happy he's gone.

I am still surprised Bobinski was able to make this work. Maybe the NCAA money coming next year due to the tremendous effort of the ACC teams was enough to make it happen. Maybe some people came through.

Speculation on coaches is just that, I doubt Bobinski is talking to anyone but agents and coaches right now. He's as tight lipped as anyone, which many people don't like. But for times like these it works to his advantage.

Hope he gets someone near the top of his list.

If he wasn't recently fired, Vandy might have gone after him-right after Multi-Millionaire Hewitt turns them down. Eddie Fogler Search Firm=Coaches Join/Unite To GET PAID!

I suppose we will know something by this time next week. Will MBob make a big splash or Wade in the kiddie pool? Will we be cheering about his home run of a hire, or underwhelmed that he Drew the short end of the stick? Cautiously optimistic for a big time hire!

Do you have some poop on Will Wade or The Brothers Drew?
Have you been stalking the Delta Flights into Atlanta?

Stech81 most likely thinks of me as a Twitter Stalker. Confessing, yes I am-you are enjoying?

Texwood dolling out some poetic "justice". Love you, Brother!!

BAJ-The suspense is "killing" me. Instead of one of the Hardy Boy's Mystery Tour Stories, can someone grant me a Mashall or a Painter?

Not sure about this talk of Wade, he's been at VCU 1 year now? Do you really think a coach will leave after that short a period?

The Big 12 was rated the top conference in the computer polls this entire season and got 7 teams (out of 10) into the Big Dance. Agree the SEC sucks.

TCU may be at the bottom and hence why they are putting the money out there to get better. Kind of reminds me of a little trade school in downtown Atlanta I know of.

Yeah, they were rated high, but... look where that all got them. Not buying it. The B12 is not typically a great bball league. Good often, yes, like the SEC, but seldom great. KU is a perennial winner. Texas, OU, OSU and WVU have all had their days. Baylor, TX Tech occasionally. Arky used to and MO used to, but they're now mired in SEC-land. What's left there is Kansas, KSU, OU, OSU, ISU (ahem, not what we thought they were, huh), Texas, TX Tech, Baylor, and WVU.

IMO, the best of the best were the old BE and ACC, down the list a bit...B1G, and down a bit more... P12, down a bit more still... B12, dead last most years... SEC.

Who knows what Dillon's reasons were. Maybe the alma mater thing is the real reason. Bottom line, he's at a dead end program now, and he was on top. The ACC happened in the middle. I may be totally off base, but if I'm making $1M a year at an AAC school, I may just stay there and be very happy on my throne. Then again, that may be why I'm not a successful basketball coach.

You can forget Painter. That would be a big step down. Purdue and he carefully planned him as a succession and he's there to stay.

His name is Dixon. TCU is not a dead end program. And Pitt was and is not on top. Not even close as has already been pointed out.

You can forget Painter. That would be a big step down. Purdue and he carefully planned him as a succession and he's there to stay.
You are spoiling my late lunch. Why can't we keep a Gene Keady for a half century, then replace him with a Rembrant(Painter)?

The week leading up to the Final 4 and the coaches convention is the most prime time for rumors. If you are a hot commodity this time of year makes perfect sense that it will be talked about annually. Seems like in the late 80's we lived through this time of year every year wondering if Bobby was going to go elsewhere. I think they had him shipped off to South Bend every year for 5 straight years during this exact week - and that's just one example of many.

The week leading up to the Final 4 and the coaches convention is the most prime time for rumors. If you are a hot commodity this time of year makes perfect sense that it will be talked about annually. Seems like in the late 80's we lived through this time of year every year wondering if Bobby was going to go elsewhere. I think they had him shipped off to South Bend every year for 5 straight years during this exact week - and that's just one example of many.

It is silly season for sure. This type of stuff is what led to The Contract. I apologize for bringing that up.

I'd rather have a HC that is in demand by others than have one nobody wants. Same for assistants.

In that case it was the "stupid season". To pay on a contract that is over a decade old now, when the coach hasn't been working here in over half a decade, is the definition of insanity. I call it the "lifetime gift". We will probably restructure it again at a lower annuity, just to keep it going for another ten years.

His name is Dixon. TCU is not a dead end program. And Pitt was and is not on top. Not even close as has already been pointed out.

pardon moi... (a little French lingo in honor of the memory of The French). Of course I could be all wrong. Not the first or last time.

However, please tell me how TCU is not a dead end program. Also, my opinion of Pitt is based on the fact that, between 2001 and 2008 - 8 seasons, Pitt played in the old BE championship game 7 times, winning it twice. That's pretty close to the top in my book. That run included 4 Sweet 16 appearances, in 7 NCAAT's. Other than those years, they went to the Dance 4 of the remaining 5 years of Dixon's tenure (2009 - 13). That's pretty top shelf to me.

But, it is just one guy's opinion.

Don't Know

Last edited:
pardon moi... (a little French lingo in honor of the memory of The French). Of course I could be all wrong. Not the first or last time.

However, please tell me how TCU is not a dead end program. Also, my opinion of Pitt is based on the fact that, between 2001 and 2008 - 8 seasons, Pitt played in the old BE championship game 7 times, winning it twice. That's pretty close to the top in my book. That run included 4 Sweet 16 appearances, in 7 NCAAT's. Other than those years, they went to the Dance 4 of the remaining 5 years of Dixon's tenure (2009 - 13). That's pretty top shelf to me.

But, it is just one guy's opinion.

Don't Know

You answered your own question. Dixon's program was in slow decline. They are .500 in conference games for the last 5 years. They are 7-23 in their last 30 versus ranked opponents. Their attendance is declining.

He was looking for a fresh start. The job at his alma mater opened up. They have a young roster (only one senior this year that had playing time) in a good conference. Texas has players. It is a win-win. Except for who Pitt hired in his place.

You answered your own question. Dixon's program was in slow decline. They are .500 in conference games for the last 5 years. They are 7-23 in their last 30 versus ranked opponents. Their attendance is declining.

He was looking for a fresh start. The job at his alma mater opened up. They have a young roster (only one senior this year that had playing time) in a good conference. Texas has players. It is a win-win. Except for who Pitt hired in his place.

Yes, and this (your first paragraph) was my point. The last 5 years was also the first 3 years of his life in the ACC. My point almost exactly. Could it be that he realized that his top-shelf old BE program could not compete in the amalgamated BE/ACC? I think probably so (with some nudges from a few well-placed Pitt insiders).

Here is where we differ. I struggle to see it as a win, except for the altruistic fact that TCU is his alma mater. I know that GTJT doesn't see it this way, but TCU is as dead-end as a men's basketball program gets in a P5 conference. I'll believe it until someone shows me otherwise. The state of GA has lots of players, too, but GA State is a dead-end job for men's basketball.

So my application is this: If a top-shelf coach leaves the ACC after yet another NCAAT bid and goes to a program like TCU (understanding that it is his alma mater), is that an advertisement for up and coming top-shelf mid-major coach to come and take a bottom 3rd GA Tech program? Will he see it for what we want him to see it as? That being a great opportunity. Or will he look at a guy like Dixon and say, good grief, do I really want to do that to myself? This is my speculation.

Just a thought. No real strong feeling on either side of this. But I don't think it can all be explained by his alma mater calling, IMHO.

But... we're about to begin the next 5 Year Plan TM. It will be interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT