ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Post-season Thread

Yes, and this (your first paragraph) was my point. The last 5 years was also the first 3 years of his life in the ACC. My point almost exactly. Could it be that he realized that his top-shelf old BE program could not compete in the amalgamated BE/ACC? I think probably so (with some nudges from a few well-placed Pitt insiders).

Here is where we differ. I struggle to see it as a win, except for the altruistic fact that TCU is his alma mater. I know that GTJT doesn't see it this way, but TCU is as dead-end as a men's basketball program gets in a P5 conference. I'll believe it until someone shows me otherwise. The state of GA has lots of players, too, but GA State is a dead-end job for men's basketball.

So my application is this: If a top-shelf coach leaves the ACC after yet another NCAAT bid and goes to a program like TCU (understanding that it is his alma mater), is that an advertisement for up and coming top-shelf mid-major coach to come and take a bottom 3rd GA Tech program? Will he see it for what we want him to see it as? That being a great opportunity. Or will he look at a guy like Dixon and say, good grief, do I really want to do that to myself? This is my speculation.

Just a thought. No real strong feeling on either side of this. But I don't think it can all be explained by his alma mater calling, IMHO.

But... we're about to begin the next 5 Year Plan TM. It will be interesting.

I don't think it is any harder to compete in the Big 12 than it is in the ACC. It may be harder to win a conference championship in the ACC since there are more teams, but not to finish with a winning record in conference and get to NCAATs. You obviously disagree with that, that's fine.

I don't think people in the basketball profession look at GT as a bottom 3rd program. GT has been in a slump but played in ACCCGs twice since a Final Four just 12 years ago. Since then GT has built great new facilities, sits in a good recruiting area, is located in a great, international city, etc.

Any basketball coach that should even be considered at any ACC school should be dying for an opportunity to prove they can win at the highest level. See Cremins as a perfect example. I know it is ancient history but human nature doesn't change due to conference composition.

I did almost drop a communist poster in there, by the way.

Hope this Capel rumor is just a rumor. He would be a meh.. hire at best. My hope is that every single name circulating through the rumor mill is BS. As ESPNJ has been saying throughout this thread, MBob is tight lipped to the point that any name you hear about is probably BS.

Would be an outstanding hire if we get Capel. In so many different ways. This is a hire if it happens that will be VERY good. Will elaborate later on why I feel this way but first reaction is fantastic selection if so. For now will wait and see.

Hope this Capel rumor is just a rumor. He would be a meh.. hire at best. My hope is that every single name circulating through the rumor mill is BS. As ESPNJ has been saying throughout this thread, MBob is tight lipped to the point that any name you hear about is probably BS.

I think Stallings is the one. Remember, he won a national championship at Bama.

Would be an outstanding hire if we get Capel. In so many different ways. This is a hire if it happens that will be VERY good. Will elaborate later on why I feel this way but first reaction is fantastic selection if so. For now will wait and see.

Sell me GTJT!! I was unimpressed with everything he did on the court as a head coach without Blake Griffin. He can recruit to be sure, but we've been there and done that. Of course, if he's the guy I'm 100% behind him and hope that he does well enough here to become the heir apparent to Ratface.

Last edited:
Copied from page 1(you probably missed it because of laughing at my jokes about The Killers Drew and some new assistants):

Jeff Capel might be flying in to Atlanta, and it is not to see the Hawks play or do a TBS interview.

It was told to me early in the a.m. when half asleep. So I need those travelers Texwood, BAJ, to be checking those Delta Fights out of N.C. arriving in Hartsfield. I am twittering my thumbs.

One good thing about not knowing much about basketball , I won't get upset at who we pick as a coach because I don't know any of them.

I'm not so sure the Capel story has legs. If it does we all should know by this time tomorrow.

Copied from page 1(you probably missed it because of laughing at my jokes about The Killers Drew and some new assistants):

Jeff Capel might be flying in to Atlanta, and it is not to see the Hawks play or do a TBS interview.

It was told to me early in the a.m. when half asleep. So I need those travelers Texwood, BAJ, to be checking those Delta Fights out of N.C. arriving in Hartsfield. I am twittering my thumbs.

I saw it. I liked it as a possibility.

Up here in Virginy, when the name Capel is mentioned, those in my age range don't immediately identify with Jeff or his brother. We all recall what a good guy and coach his dad was at ODU. A class act all the way. And, that's all I've ever thought of his sons - even the younger one who played for the Cheaters. ;)

Capel has many things going for him that I like...in no particular odor...

1. Learned under one of the best ever, if not the best ever.
2. Spent time at a school and program that is not routinely recruiting sleaze. I don't think he will be overwhelmed by higher-than-normal entrance standards. Further, like his dad, he is a class act.
3. On a coaching staff that has won a national title.
4. Recruiting ties that are very strong - his ties to the extremely fertile Tidewater area alone are impressive, but he has spent time in North Carolina (or is it New Jersey? ;)), out west, etc. And yes, I'm going to say it...it doesn't hurt that he is the same race as many who we are trying to recruit (particularly in our own backyard)...though, I want to be clear that I don't think it is a driving factor one way or the other to our job search.
5. Understands the ACC. He will not be overwhelmed by it nor need a learning curve to its intricacies.
6. I personally like a guy who has experienced the highs and lows of a big role like head coach at a big state university with high expectations. His last couple of years at OU likely taught him a ton and he learned from those. Likely will appreciate an opportunity like ours and work his ass off to avoid having another result like then.
7. He's still young. Just turned 41. He took the VCU HC job when he was 27 and the OU job when he was 31. That's very very young to take on jobs like that. He is an "old" 41 by coaching standards because very few ever lead big jobs at not one, but two programs by time they are 31. "Older" I'd hope translates to "wiser". This is tangentially tied to #6 above.

In the end, whether it is Capel or whoever, I have no other choice but to have faith in Bobinski here. IOW, if Bobinski thinks he's the right guy, for his reasons or some above or whatever, I think it's a solid move. So, even if Capel isn't the guy and we wind up with some of the other names that make me go "Whaaaaa?", it's beyond time for the Tech fanbase to get behind whoever it is going to be.

Regardless of who it is, he has a huge rebuilding job on his hands.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
I believe it has legs, it might be moving through Concourse C?

Not saying he won't talk to the Hardy Boy from Valpo., too.

Who knows how fast he will move? Originally, I thought he might be stalling Gregs. this week, awaiting the Final Four.

I hope Bobinski is interviewing multiple applicants. What better way to judge them than in a compressed period of time when conversations are fresh? Find out who is willing to go through what is likely to be very ugly first two seasons? Who is going to be petty about perks here and there in their contracts and who is focused on returning Tech to where we should be? Who has a plan about Tech and who has a plan about themselves?

Etc.

Every name that is circulating through the rumor mill, whether it be the internet or real-world network, is a low budget roll of the dice sort of candidate. GTJT and ESPNJ have me convinced that the job is better than that. And in truth, it is. There has to be something bigger brewing, no?

Last edited:
I've learned to distrust the rumor mill - especially when Tech people are involved in it - as much as I do most politicians.

Slight correction - Enfield is the one name circulating who wouldn't be low budget. But he's far from top dollar - very far. I have to believe we are shooting higher.

I'm going to be behind them, too(especially if named Drew)!

I know during December, I got down on Gregs. It was difficult watching it. I tried to forgive the winter of 2015 because of the Senior Team coming up. However, it started reminding me of the last Hewitt squad with more attendance for the Visitors and getting beat by inferior programs. Before the Holidays, attendance is tough, but not during Cremins' best years or 2004. We had our people, our home advantage.

JT622, every point 1-7 and the conclusion...you are spot on. You are even right about the recruiting part too, although I can't face it because Al would tell me stories about Bobby. The energy he put into the "star system" probably caught up with his health. Al called his good friend Denny Price, Bobby sent George Felton out to Okla., first. I could tell you stories, we all tried to help out. It was for Mother Tech. You were in school there at that time, it was brutal being two of the 20 at CBC's first picture day. I liked watching practices, until he put me in. Frank Beall told him I could play. Like you said, give it our all for four years at least. Dave Odoms' grandson Cremins ought to be ready by then.

Every name that is circulating through the rumor mill, whether it be the internet or real-world network, is a low budget roll of the dice sort of candidate. GTJT and ESPNJ have me convinced that the job is better than that. And in truth, it is. There has to be something bigger brewing, no?

What constitutes bigger for you? I'm not sure what would be considered big.

Capel was ESPN's top recruiting assistant in the country this year and has been a HC at two big programs, as mentioned above. He turned down Arizona State last year. He is pretty much as big as it can get.

If you think Capel is a big get as head coach, then we must agree to disagree. If our next head coach could get Capel on staff to recruit ATL, that would be a yuuge get.

If you think Capel is a big get as head coach, then we must agree to disagree. If our next head coach could get Capel on staff to recruit ATL, that would be a yuuge get.

Who would be a big hire? I'm trying to understand.

I can't believe Marshall or Wright are available. To me Capel is in the next tier. Told a friend who is connected to our program that very thing this past weekend. The St. Mary's HC is not coming east, probably a good thing. I put Purdue in that tier, but like JT622 says, I'm dreaming.

Who is a bigger splash? I have no clue.

Big to me would be a hire that is clearly better than Buzz or Larranaga. Capel?

You can do better than that. Larranaga wasn't a big hire. Everyone knew he could coach but most ADs wouldn't touch a guy his age. Capel would be considered a bigger hire. He coached at Oklahoma and got Blake Griffin there while mired in Kelvin Sampson sanctions.

Larranaga is a hire that worked out despite expectations within the business that he'd have no hope recruiting there.

If there is a Buzz Williams level guy having a fight with his administration, let's go get him. That doesn't happen every year.

It's not only Capel's fault that the pieces didn't fit this year, the entire staff has culpability. I'd still like to have Duke's problems with talent. He didn't coach post-pivot defense.

Big Jim didn't speak Spanish or drink Cuban coffee? He showed them. Good recruiting strikes again! We can get younger, it's needed.

Our buddy on here says he retires at Dah U, and I second that odor.

I love Buzz(it's my namesake on here), he's a great story. The only Buzz we are going to see is 1)Our mascot, 2)The outcome of Stech81's drinking.

Capel would compare or have a slight edge.

You can do better than that. Larranaga wasn't a big hire. Everyone knew he could coach but most ADs wouldn't touch a guy his age. Capel would be considered a bigger hire. He coached at Oklahoma and got Blake Griffin there while mired in Kelvin Sampson sanctions.

Larranaga is a hire that worked out despite expectations within the business that he'd have no hope recruiting there.

If there is a Buzz Williams level guy having a fight with his administration, let's go get him. That doesn't happen every year.

My hope is that there is a proven guy who is disgruntled and looking to move. Whether the discontent is due to unfavorable conference realignment ramifications, or a spat with his administration, or his wife diddling with some local low life - we need a guy who is looking for a change in scenery. MBob's network should be deep enough to find such candidates. In defense of MBob - everything I'm hearing says that his hand was forced in pushing Gregory out.

My hope is that there is a proven guy who is disgruntled and looking to move. Whether the discontent is due to unfavorable conference realignment ramifications, or a spat with his administration, or his wife diddling with some local low life - we need a guy who is looking for a change in scenery. MBob's network should be deep enough to find such candidates. In defense of MBob - everything I'm hearing says that his hand was forced in pushing Gregory out.

Who has enough pull with MBob to push out coach horseshoes? I don't think that is true.

He pushed Gregory out because this is it, this is as good as it gets. One NIT and a bare cupboard.

I like this answer better but MBob obviously can't control that scenario.

Sunday, I found out there is no Easter Bunny.
Monday, I learned from this board, my Team won't get a Painter.
Tuesday, Stech81 drank up all the beer in this State?

Next you know, the Braves will say they are rebuilding this weekend on opening day-while every other Major League Fan thinks they are winning the Workd Series.

Wow!

The decision on and for Capel is whether he wants to head to Atlanta or stay put and eventually be the succession plan for Ratface. Think about that. He is the leading candidate to replace Ratface - and that could be soon - if he stays at DUKE, and we think he should be an assistant coach at Tech?

With all due respects mate, I think your view of Capel is far too low. But, agree to disagree like you said.

I am not convinced Capel is the heir apparent at Duke. Several people have said that, but I think Wojo has just as much respect there. Also he's had 2 seasons at Marquette and won 20 games in his 2nd year. If K lasts 3 more seasons, that's 5 at Marquette and if Wojo keeps them winning, he will be hot. Let's not forget the last two coaches at Marquette are Tom Crean and Buzz Williams, both coaches who have been mentioned in this thread. He needs a top 4 conference finish next season and an NCAA berth to keep on the track.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT