ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Post-season Thread

I'd love to have a team which is loaded with talent again. I think I've forgotten what it is like.

We need someone who will infuse some big time talent to once again join the program. We are at least 2 years - perhaps 3 - from getting that collection of talent.

I believe the year after Griffin left there were some injuries and other personnel issues, yes? Doesn't really matter to me to be honest because Capel likely learns from that situation.

If it's between Capel and Drew, I much prefer Capel. I have indeed forgotten what it is like for GT to be a legit contender for a burger boy. Capel brings that on day one.

Reactions: Redblood23
Think about who could recruit here better: Capel, Drew, Little Larranaga?

Think about who is more void of ego(same three)?

Think about who is more approachable(same)?

Think about who would know our league more, with experience(same)?

Think about who you could imagine caring more about graduating players, highest level(same)?

Think about who could resurrect this mess for a starved fan base, sustaining long term(same)?

Capel, for all of that.

I've wanted Gregg Marshall for over two searches now. Not sure what his buyout is, but we need 4 million per year, base. It ain't happening!

Update I don't know anything . But most of you knew that already .
It's called pick a coach. Put six names together that you see or hear on the Internet and play spin the beer bottle. You have about a 16.67 chance of being right.

Drink the beer first, more buzz fun less wet.

It bothers me a little, to think of a new coach in a "pressing situation", that isn't familiar with HS Coaches, AAU in Georgia. Especially with all the talent for 2017 that he is behind on. Maybe Drew can bring them in from out of state. How much is Bobinski placing in that? He wants to compete at a high level. Right? Without looking at a Valpo roster, any past or present players from here?

Better find a few good Assistants with ties here.

Jeff Capel(Head Coach)

VCU:
2002-03 - 18-10
2003-04 - 23-8
2004-05 - 19-13
2005-06 - 19-10

Oklahoma:
2006-07 - 16-15
2007-08 - 23-12
2008-09 - 30-6
2009-10 - 13-12
2010-11 - 14-18

175-104 Total Record

As Buzzforlife has pointed out months ago and multiple times on this board, the 2017 signing class is absolutely loaded in the ATL & Ga areas. Which candidate has the best chance of coming in and making an immediate impact on getting those guys to looking towards the Gigantic Melon? Which candidate is most likely to already have built some sort of relationship with them (at minimum, been seen at their AAU/Showcase/HS games up to conversing one-on-one)? Which candidate has proven experience in landing 5-star players on multiple occasions for different programs?

Which candidate knows the ACC and which ones don't have any experience whatsoever? Which candidate has been in the southeast, built connectivity with AAU and HS coaches at very high levels, etc.?

Don't know about you girls, but I'm sick of losing. I know we are going to have to suffer through at least 2 more seasons of yuck, though with the right hire the '17-'18 season (Year 2) might be as good as this past season if not better - depending highly on that '17 signing class and development of the '16 class coming in.

To me, the new HC whoever it is has 3 big recruiting jobs right off the bat...

1. Recruit/assemble the best coaching staff possible - with at least one, preferably two, guys who are go-getters in recruiting...better players make coaches look a hell of a lot more smarter

2. Recruit the 3 current signees we have on hand - which candidate is most likely to do that, btw?

3. Recruit the '17 class (and get in ASAP on the '18 class)

There is no clear cut leader IMO as to which candidate is most likely to achieve #1 above the best. I think there is a clear leader in who has the best shot at #2 and #3.

We'll see...

This is what we hired Bobinski for right here, right now.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Since we pride ourselves in assemblage of information (well, along with being drunk)...

Noodles advises he's not interested in his alma mater... http://www.kob.com/sports/neal-deni...a-waters-unm-basketball/4089100/#.VvvPKXpQuwP

Neal's name has recently been mentioned in association with the vacant Georgia Tech job, but he denied any interest Tuesday.

"I'm the coach at New Mexico and I'm happy to be here," he said. "My goal is to coach and do real well and be here until 2020 and farther than that."

I don't think he was or is ever a legit candidate for the job in the first place, but thought I'd put it here in case anybody thinks he was/is.

It bothers me a little, to think of a new coach in a "pressing situation", that isn't familiar with HS Coaches, AAU in Georgia. Especially with all the talent for 2017 that he is behind on. Maybe Drew can bring them in from out of state. How much is Bobinski placing in that? He wants to compete at a high level. Right? Without looking at a Valpo roster, any past or present players from here?

Better find a few good Assistants with ties here.
Kelly Quinlan's article quotes an unnamed AAU coach who said Drew is known in the Atlanta AAU circles. So this seems to address your concerns...
"One AAU coach anonymously told Jacketsonline out of all the candidates mentioned for the Tech job, Wade, Drew and Capel would get the most traction in Atlanta."

Jeff Capel(Head Coach)

VCU:
2002-03 - 18-10
2003-04 - 23-8
2004-05 - 19-13
2005-06 - 19-10

Oklahoma:
2006-07 - 16-15
2007-08 - 23-12
2008-09 - 30-6
2009-10 - 13-12
2010-11 - 14-18

175-104 Total Record
So what happened at Oklahoma which resulted in NCAA penalties?

If so, we'll see what happens. Does he opt for the easier Vandy job that could perhaps leave an open door back to Dook when K retires, or to the much harder GA Tech job that could perhaps pose an obstruction to his return to Dook.
The more pressing question is will K allow one of his former coaches to coach against him in the ACC. He has always discouraged that...

The more pressing question is will K allow one of his former coaches to coach against him in the ACC. He has always discouraged that...

Not sure about your question, but here's an interesting article that discusses K's replacement from right after their championship a year ago... http://athlonsports.com/magazines/when-day-comes-who-will-follow-coach-k-duke

If Wojo is the odds on favorite, it may serve Capel well to carve his way at a GT or Vandy. If reports are true, Capel has not traveled to Atlanta (yet) and will meet with Bobinski either today, tomorrow or Friday. My guess is he will consult with K about his future at Duke. My guess also is that K will not discourage him from taking the GT job as K won't be at Duke probably 5 years from now. Discouraging his assistants from taking ACC jobs (if that is actually the case) 10 years ago so he wouldn't have to go up against them might have made more sense, though it makes no sense to me and I question if that is true, but now that he is at the twilight of his time in New Jersey, perhaps he will eventually let some of that gray hair out and change his ways.

One thing I will give K credit for, he has changed with the times over the years. He has been very flexible to fit his systems to his talent and has moved with the way the game has changed. If he had these demands in the past, perhaps he doesn't anymore. I imagine he will want whatever is best for Jeff Capel regardless of where that is.

Like K said...
“Jeff is savvy, and he is a hell of a coach,” Krzyzewski said. “But I mean, Jeff is a head coach. He’ll get something great. He is doing something great right now.”

I wonder if Bobby Cremins has any thoughts on any of this, btw? Mind you, this is Bobinski's deal 100% and I'm not suggesting Bobby has any consultative say/input. We do know that Bobby and K are very good friends. We also know that Bobby will be an ambassador and welcoming mat to whoever becomes our next HC. It would not surprise me at all if K and Capel reach out to Bobby to chat.

Valpo's current roster has 1 guy from Georgia... R-Sr. Nickerson from Norcross. He didn't sign originally with Valpo. He transferred in from Charlotte. The rest of their roster includes:

6 from Illinois, 2 from Indiana, 1 from Jamaica, 2 from Europe, and 2 from Canada.

The 2016 recruiting class includes 1 from Canada and 3 from Illinois. Getting guys from Atlanta and the deep south to head to Valpo though is not going to be easy.

Speaking of Illinois, remember when Gregory was hired and it was brought up by some that his hiring should open up recruiting doors for us in the midwest, Chicagoland, etc.? Getting to play at ND every year was supposed to help that even more? How'd that work out for us?

But, thank goodness we have an unnamed AAU coach telling Kelly Quinlan (who is just the messenger and not worthy of killing) that Bryce Drew from Hayseed Country has traction in the Atlanta AAU circle. Good enough for me. I guess. ;)

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Do you have a source for that? It sounds like message board gossip to me.
Kelly Quinlan mentioned it in his article above. I have seen other past articles of coaching hires mention it as well, most recently a few years ago when Wojo's name was being tossed around for certain jobs.

Here's the article again.
https://georgiatech.n.rivals.com/news/q-s-take-on-the-basketball-search

and the quote:
"Those issues along with the long unspoken and true ban of Krzyzewski former assistants coaching in the ACC make him a long shot at best. Capel does appear to have a tremendous PR team though and he is a good coach who deserves a shot again."

Last edited:
Valpo's current roster has 1 guy from Georgia... R-Sr. Nickerson from Norcross. He didn't sign originally with Valpo. He transferred in from Charlotte. The rest of their roster includes:

6 from Illinois, 2 from Indiana, 1 from Jamaica, 2 from Europe, and 2 from Canada.

The 2016 recruiting class includes 1 from Canada and 3 from Illinois. Getting guys from Atlanta and the deep south to head to Valpo though is not going to be easy.

Speaking of Illinois, remember when Gregory was hired and it was brought up by some that his hiring should open up recruiting doors for us in the midwest, Chicagoland, etc.? Getting to play at ND every year was supposed to help that even more? How'd that work out for us?

But, thank goodness we have an unnamed AAU coach telling Kelly Quinlan (who is just the messenger and not worthy of killing) that Bryce Drew from Hayseed Country has traction in the Atlanta AAU circle. Good enough for me. I guess. ;)

just referencing a comment to address the issue he brought up. The coach didn't say Drew or the others would be successful, just that the 3 mentioned would have more traction than the other possible candidates listed...

I asked several times why people thought Gregory didn't have better connections with the Atlanta AAU circuit, but no one ever really addressed the issue. To me that means those who know or had an idea wouldn't talk about it. which probably means its some topic that should be avoided in public conversations. If that's true, then the AAU needs to go away.

I guess we will find out whether that is just internet hypothesizing or the truth. Or, just outdated.

If Capel interviews for the job, then no matter what, it blows that theory out of the water. You'd think if it was a "true ban" that still holds, then Capel would already come out and say "no thanks".

Not buying it. At least, not yet.

just referencing a comment to address the issue he brought up. The coach didn't say he'd be successful, just that the 3 mentioned would have more traction than the other possible candidates listed...

I asked several times why people thought Gregory didn't have better connections with the Atlanta AAU circuit, but no one ever really addressed the issue. To me that means those who know or had an idea wouldn't talk about it. which probably means its some topic that should be avoided in public conversations. If that's true, then the AAU needs to go away.

Understood. Not killing you, the messenger. When folks throw stuff out there from other places, it is always interesting to know who the source is and what credibility they have. In this case, I can read none. Just for giggles, we should start a rumor here and see if it can grow legs. We can claim we are hearing that the Texas-Arlington head coach is flying to Atlanta and we have an unnamed source from an AAU coach in the Dallas Metroplex area that says he is there to interview with the Bobber. By 6pmET tonight, we can see if the other message boards are spreading it like wildfire.

Not sure about your question, but here's an interesting article that discusses K's replacement from right after their championship a year ago... http://athlonsports.com/magazines/when-day-comes-who-will-follow-coach-k-duke

If Wojo is the odds on favorite, it may serve Capel well to carve his way at a GT or Vandy. If reports are true, Capel has not traveled to Atlanta (yet) and will meet with Bobinski either today, tomorrow or Friday. My guess is he will consult with K about his future at Duke. My guess also is that K will not discourage him from taking the GT job as K won't be at Duke probably 5 years from now. Discouraging his assistants from taking ACC jobs (if that is actually the case) 10 years ago so he wouldn't have to go up against them might have made more sense, though it makes no sense to me and I question if that is true, but now that he is at the twilight of his time in New Jersey, perhaps he will eventually let some of that gray hair out and change his ways.

One thing I will give K credit for, he has changed with the times over the years. He has been very flexible to fit his systems to his talent and has moved with the way the game has changed. If he had these demands in the past, perhaps he doesn't anymore. I imagine he will want whatever is best for Jeff Capel regardless of where that is.

Like K said...
“Jeff is savvy, and he is a hell of a coach,” Krzyzewski said. “But I mean, Jeff is a head coach. He’ll get something great. He is doing something great right now.”

Thanks for the link, I remember reading that now, because I was saying earlier how I thought the story of Capel's coach in waiting wasn't as strong as many thought.

I can see K loosening up his position if his retirement path is close to being finished. We will see if what people have said about this "restriction" is true or not. like I mentioned to ESPNJacket, this isn't the first time I have seen a comment about K's assistants in the ACC.

Understood. Not killing you, the messenger. When folks throw stuff out there from other places, it is always interesting to know who the source is and what credibility they have. In this case, I can read none. Just for giggles, we should start a rumor here and see if it can grow legs. We can claim we are hearing that the Texas-Arlington head coach is flying to Atlanta and we have an unnamed source from an AAU coach in the Dallas Metroplex area that says he is there to interview with the Bobber. By 6pmET tonight, we can see if the other message boards are spreading it like wildfire.
Kelly Quinlan speaks for Rivals, I don't think he makes these things up... but who knows. Maybe I'll ask him.

Last edited:
Kelly Quinlin mentioned it in his article above. I have seen other past articles of coaching hires mention it as well, most recently a few years ago when Wojo's name was being tossed around for certain jobs.

Here's the article again.
https://georgiatech.n.rivals.com/news/q-s-take-on-the-basketball-search

and the quote:
"Those issues along with the long unspoken and true ban of Krzyzewski former assistants coaching in the ACC make him a long shot at best. Capel does appear to have a tremendous PR team though and he is a good coach who deserves a shot again."

I wonder what the consequences would be of violating "the long unspoken and true ban" would be? An unspoken scolding?

No offense but this is funny stuff.

I wonder what the consequences would be of violating "the long unspoken and true ban" would be? An unspoken scolding?

It may be funny but it has been discussed before Kelly Quinlan mentioned it here. as I asked before, I think it's more a discouraging word than a ban.

K does seem to have remarkable influence over the ACC officials, I am not sure I'd coach against that without his blessing... I have heard people say that he has a short fuse with some items, this may be one of them.

Last edited:
It may be funny but it has been discussed before Kelly Quinlin mentioned it here. as I asked before, I think it's more a discouraging word than a ban.

K does seem to have remarkable influence over the ACC officials, I am not sure I'd coach against that without his blessing... I have heard people say that he has a short fuse with some items, this may be one of them.

I prefer to think that a discouraging word is seldom heard. And the skies are not cloudy all day.

Home, home with the K .....

But if you comply, you get black shoe polish or spray in your Christmas stocking from Santa K.

JT622-I have a 2a. if you will allow me to knit pick with the post way, way up far above now(see what leaving for a few hours does to a fan in this thread?).

Capel or any coach hired, grab your Assistants, get in any homes you have connections with for a 2016 SA, then make contact with all Grad. Transfers while you are feeling sleepy. Let's get 4, we will find room. Coaching changes here always shake out.

Watch it, Bub! You just made The List!

I ban you from drinking beer. I ban you from posting Russian Propaganda on the internet. And, I ban you from thinking stuff on the internet isn't true.

Consider this your scolding!!

We have our eyes on you. Well, at least, that's what an unnamed source told me.

Now, carry on!

SNAP OUT OF IT

I am looking forward to Capel later today coming out in the news saying...

...I am not interested in the Georgia Tech job (and the 10 million dollars that comes along with it over the term of the contract) because Coach K told me I couldn't.

Watch it, Bub! You just made The List!

I ban you from drinking beer. I ban you from posting Russian Propaganda on the internet. And, I ban you from thinking stuff on the internet isn't true.

Consider this your scolding!!

We have our eyes on you. Well, at least, that's what an unnamed source told me.

Now, carry on!

SNAP OUT OF IT

I do not like getting scolded.

I do not like getting scolded.

Would public flogging suit you better? Perhaps a innuendo-filled bashing? Or, maybe a good old fashioned woodshed beating?

My associates and I are flexible and focused on customer satisfaction.

Would public flogging suit you better? Perhaps a innuendo-filled bashing? Or, maybe a good old fashioned woodshed beating?

My associates and I are flexible and focused on customer satisfaction.

Please avoid all discouraging words. That is my trigger.

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r10_500.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT