ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Post-season Thread

I prefer to think that a discouraging word is seldom heard. And the skies are not cloudy all day.

Home, home with the K .....

as I understand it K has traditionally be a "my way or the highway" kind of guy. So the home of K might be an uncomfortable place from time to time.

we'll see if Quinlan follows up on his comments. I sent him an e-mail as well...

Last edited:
as I understand it K has traditionally be a "my way or the highway" kind of guy. So the home of K might be an uncomfortable place from time to time.

we'll see if Quinlin follows up on his comments. I sent him an e-mail as well...

He might respond quicker if you spell his name correctly. You may get a discouraging word for that.
;)

I bring to you As The Capel Household Turns. Today's episode... The Decision. Let's listen in...

Jeff: "Honey, Georgia Tech is interested in me taking their head coaching job and I think I'm interested."

Kanika (his wife): "But, honey. You know what K said. He bans you from going to another job in the ACC. Plus, we don't need 10 million dollars. Living in Atlanta? Who needs that? You need to stay right here. Rub K's back when it hurts during the season. And, be his recruiting bitch until Wojo comes back to be your boss."

popcorn

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Might make for a good thread, I wonder if I am still banned over there?

I was just thinking a trip over to gauge their commentary. You'd think they would quickly blow any rumored Capel to GT rumors out of the water immediately with the 'banned from other ACC jobs' angle.

Maybe they have. I'm too lazy and don't care enough to go find out.

You'd think if it was anywhere near a hard fast rule, Capel would've already himself come out and denied interest...which, perhaps he will soon.

What's the over/under on when Bobinski announces a new CEO for GT Hoops? One of my associates over in London has set the line at Tuesday, April 5. Those wacky English...they'll wager on anything!

DRUNK BUDDIES

I was just thinking a trip over to gauge their commentary. You'd think they would quickly blow any rumored Capel to GT rumors out of the water immediately with the 'banned from other ACC jobs' angle.

Maybe they have. I'm too lazy and don't care enough to go find out.

DRUNK BUDDIES

so far the only direct I have gotten at TDD. nothing yet from Devil's Illustrated
"I don't think any Duke fans are aware of a "ban" Coach K has made against his assistants doing that. I know outsiders like to paint him as this ******* dictator, but that goes a bit far.

It is, however, well known that he's not a fan of coaching against his former assistants and tries to avoid scenarios where that might happen.

This is the number one reason I don't see Capel ending up at Georgia Tech. Not because it's not a good opportunity (it is, IMO)."

I saw several other comments saying they didn't see any Duke assistants coaching anywhere in the ACC. Several thought the Vandy job would be better for him, easier to make a quick improvement and be ready to come back the Duke when K retired. Most everyone hoped he stayed put, but didn't know how long he'd wait on K, Some were going to use this to gauge how long they thought K might stay, if he goes, then means K has at least 5 years left.

Well, I think I am back to my original comment about Coach K discouraging his assistants from taking ACC jobs.

Wondering just how much of that he will do in this instance and will Capel ask K to evaluate the Vandy and Tech jobs and give him advice on this decision.

Last edited:
Yes but OU is not in the ACC. I wonder if this ban trumps her millions. With emphasis on the word "her".

I guess you are telling me it likely does.

Does "K" schedule his ex-Assistants to any games? Sometimes it helps a young program, like Hewitt with Kentucky St. and their now ex-Coach Clarence Moore. I just don't think he has any say or wants to block an incredible opportunity for a "new peer". Until I hear it from that weasly voice, I'm not buying it. Internet chatter is only that.

Speaking of such....put the restraints on JT622 even if he claims he's not going over to the enemy board. Didn't our resident funny man, information guru, voice of reason and sanity, get some 'Nole so spear happy, he wanted to scalp our mate? What's next Stech81 writing a letter to Buzzweiser asking them to avoid distribution in North Atlanta? He will then pen another letter one minute later on saying, "Miss you, driving a little bit further to the South to pick you up, 100 kegs".

Good point, ESPN F'n Jacket.

Forget OU's future. Somebody should tell Mrs. Capel that we aren't even going to be in the ACC this time next year. Tech is moving to the WAC.

Good point, ESPN F'n Jacket.

Forget OU's future. Somebody should tell Mrs. Capel that we aren't even going to be in the ACC this time next year. Tech is moving to the WAC.

With all of the realignment that has happened recently, K should just ban his former assistants from anywhere east of the Mississippi. If you are going to be able to control where they work you might as well really assert your authority.

Yes but OU is not in the ACC. I wonder if this ban trumps her millions. With emphasis on the word "her".

I guess you are telling me it likely does.
some of the Duke guys were speculating on Capel's salary most said $350k-$500k but others said it was much closer to a HC salary.

I wish GT had $3M to throw around, but it'll be closer to $1.5M probably.

Your response to the article is perfect, or at least so in my mind. Thanks for sharing it.

The fact is the cupboard is barren, but some of the food can be salvaged and we can make a quick trip to the store getting the Senior Discount. We can get 10-12 meals out of the ginormous melon this next year with a good food coach.

I'm not wild about hearing long-term rebuilding process. Rather hear exciting, thrilling, hungry team that plays together, growing, youthful, talented and us against the world mentality. Losing hurts, really stinks, is not acceptable, don't get use to it!

Spoke to two friends over the last 24 hours, who are both connected to AAU Clubs, one Southside of Atl.(he played here, very much in the know presently)and the other is in Norcross as we share friends who also played in the NFL, work for GCP&R, FCA Members, played local HS Basketball too. Think multi-sport.

They both talked to me, spoke candidly and had similar opinions on Bryce Drew. He recruits Chicago very well, will bring International Players in. Neither feels he would take advantage of this state for Tech. My North Atl. friend thought he would do better at UGAG over us for recruiting. He said Homer Drew would not manage our stringent academia either, from his day.

He might do well here as a coach, he knows hoops. I could be wrong about him. Talking with CBG, he was well versed technically and always impressed me. I kept praying for his success. However, recruiting here is not only your job, it is a "mission". It has become year 'round like football. You must get the best to compete in our league.

But Atlanta is also a pro-sports town, increasingly so, and it has become harder for Georgia Tech to carve out a niche, especially after these recent years of mediocrity. The academic requirements limit the recruiting pool at an early point in the process, and Gregory’s last team was built around transfers.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article69084707.html#storylink=cpy

Sounds like this writer actually considers the entire situation rather than the writers in Atlanta who only look at wins/losses. I guess that's another part of the pro-mentality of Atlanta.

That was linked last night just 3 replies above yours, FWIW.

I know and I clicked on the link, read the article and copied an interesting point that hadn't been discussed yet. When I copied it, their fancy website shared the link again.

Slow news day today on this topic. No one seems to have any new speculation to share.

Right on brother, appreciate the article being shared!
Met James after watching one of Southside HS games played at Alexander. Then after a HS playoff game, several times at Tech, then when Salley was honored as Tech's Legend during an A C C Tournament. He is the genuine article. As tough as he is on the court, totally opposite off of it. Like Gani Lawal, hard nosed but a soft spot for the living. Forrest is so in tune with Chad and F$U's Young. To compete we need an Asst. with Georgia AAU ties. Could you imagine one of the two assistants mentioned with Capel, a CTH type with them. Maybe a Drew Barry or Jon Babel as the third Asst. Coaching slot? Getting wet thinking about it(raining here in Duluth, Ga.).

After a lull the past couple of days, things should start up again tomorrow if Drew is MBob's #1. If he is indeed the choice, there should be plenty left in the budget to attract top notch assistants with strong ties to the ATL recruiting scene.

After a lull the past couple of days, things should start up again tomorrow if Drew is MBob's #1. If he is indeed the choice, there should be plenty left in the budget to attract top notch assistants with strong ties to the ATL recruiting scene.

Will also be interesting to see if the interest is reciprocated (assuming he is on Bobinski's short list). I can easily see a scenario where Drew is not interested in the Tech job - or any other for that matter...at least currently.

I still think it will be Tuesday before we learn anything concrete, but won't surprise me if it is tomorrow or over the weekend either. I will be a bit surprised if it goes beyond say Wednesday of next week...and, that may be a bit of a bad sign (read: we've moved on to our 4th or lower type options).

One more thing...I fully expect Bobinski to do most, if not all, of his interviewing and potentially contract discussions at the Final Four this weekend in Houston. It is the Coaches Convention. It is where deals are going to be made. And he won't be alone.

Let's say you are one of the candidates. You already have flights planned to go to Houston. You potentially are wanting to interview with GT and Vandy without having to travel to Atlanta and Nashville (or any others that may be in play). In the case of Drew, I'd be VERY surprised if you hear anything about him being announced as HC to Tech tomorrow. His team is currently playing and won't get settled back in to campus until tomorrow. And then, he is likely on a plane Saturday out to Houston.

Could he (or other candidates) and/or his agent already be in discussions with Bobinski? Yes. But, I'd like to think in the case of Drew, he is 100% focused on his team until the season is over. This all assumes he is even in scope. I would not be surprised if he isn't as much as he is.

I chuckle at all the media reports about who is on top of the list because I highly doubt Bobinski has shared that with anybody.

I still say the pace of this search strongly suggests MBob's top guy is still coaching basketball (or was up until now at least). That's why I think the Drew smoke points to a fire. Of course Jay Wright is still coaching and it could turn out that he's disgruntled about where Villanova has landed in the wake of conference realignment. And he certainly knows that GT basketball is a sleeping giant. One can dream, no?

Doug Gottlieb had a funny (yet sad) quote about the sleeping giant thing on his radio show. It was words to the effect that everyone in basketball circles knows that Georgia Tech is a sleeping giant, but it's a giant that has been asleep for a long time.

Doug Gottlieb had a funny (yet sad) quote about the sleeping giant thing on his radio show. It was words to the effect that everyone in basketball circles knows that Georgia Tech is a sleeping giant, but it's a giant that has been asleep for a long time.

GT has won an NCAAT game more recently than OK State specifically beating them in that game. He should know what sleeping looks like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT