ADVERTISEMENT

Couch Coach vs. BC

ibeeballin

Gold Member
Jul 17, 2012
Here are a few gifs i decided to breakdown to give an idea of what happened on field vs. Boston College. These are used to give others a different perspective on how to watch football. I don’t do this to disparage players or coaches, but to give insight to GT enthusiast on what I’ve learned as a player and avid football fan.

Today’s lesson is to know YOUR assignment and do YOUR job. This is probably the most disappointed I’ve been watching a defense. Mistakes will happen but the lack effort is what should not be tolerated. THIS IS COUNTERINTUITIVE TO WHAT WE AS PROGRAM PREACH!!!!

This is a bad sign when there is miscommunication on the 1st play of the game. Williams, who is extremely talented, has done this twice in our games we had penciled as wins. Jordan blocks this as if it zone read while every one is run zone. Great effort by the BC DE. Luckily he bailed us out with a facemask penalty
giphy.gif

I’m not as mystified by the fake punt as most. Risk was low due to field position and you know you will get man coverage. I would’ve rather kept the offense out but if Harvin throws this ball inside more on the hash, this is a TD

giphy.gif

This is warmup drill for every LB group in America. Read step and dropping at 45 degree angle at the point you read pass about 8-12 yds. Appear Quez is on a blitz but stops, but the bigger issue is Curry. He’s reading his keys (the triangle CGC to the Rb), recognize pass (their helmets are high being great indicator) immediately he he should open is hips and drive back to get depth. Instead he DOESNT DO HIS JOB flood the flat zone with the Nickel leaving a huge void in the middle of the field

giphy.gif

Football is ABC and you can count to 3 you’ll be excellent in pass coverage. Here we have a run blitz to clog the gaps. Excellent penetration by the DT but our blitzer decides he’s going square up the tackle instead of attack that Tackle inside with his left shoulder pad keeping the right side of his body in the B gap. This leads to a big hole and a big gain
giphy.gif

TRUST YOUR TEAMMATE AND DO YOUR JOB!
The vid didn’t give the beginning but it’s great indicator of the Tenuta’s cliche. If you can count to 3 you can play for me. 123 is counted outside in. 1 is the farthest out 3 is the third closest eligible receiver one side of the center. The numbers never change just routes and responsibility. In most zone scenarios, the MLB is responsible for #3. The third closest receiver stays in to block and which means the RB is the new #3. He goes to the outside to the CB as the new #1. But for some reason the MLB jumps the flat route leaving a void in the middle to, you guessed it, where the TD was caught
giphy.gif

This is a playcall i didn’t like at all. 2nd & 1 and we call outside zone?!?! I know it’s outside bc Gibbs shoulders are parallel with the OL. 2 things wrong here. 1) Browns alignment is extremely too wide. There is no way he can make that block on the Nickel splitting the difference of the OL & WR. 2) This should’ve been an audible but more effectively a QB draw!
We have 5 blockers for 5 defenders and 6 on 5 if Gibbs lead for Sims. Bad Coaching and bad alignment

giphy.gif

Look At the hole if audible inside run or draw
giphy.gif

Where are you going Jeff?!?! 2 great blocks and Sims cut it outside. This was a back breaking missed opportunity in retrospect. We needed to answer here. Should’ve been a 15 yd gain or more.

giphy.gif

I’m almost certain Thomas was suppose to
Wrapping around as the spy or blitzer in this man 2 man scheme. Don’t like that he stopped running after the QB

giphy.gif

Clueless and lost. This can’t be all coaching. Some much wrong in one play. You’ll see why some people has received limited snaps Mistake #1: Always rush and blitz towards the QB upfield shoulder. This is so he can not spin out of a sack or if you are coming up the middle so he scramble to his none throwing arm side. #2 The fact Curry tried grab 6’5 240lbs QB instead putting his legal shoulder pads on him is laughable. #3 DO YOUR JOB!!! If with Curry missed sack this should be a sack for Jaquon but he loses Contain #4 DO YOUR JOB!!! The CB inexplicably runs with a WR who’s going inside leaving his primary responsibility

giphy.gif

Horrible job by the Nickel not keeping leverage outside, poor angle by Curry who is too slow to make the tackle. Oliver instead playing inside out for the tackle on the ball carrier. Worst of all may be not Quez bad pursuit angle but him giving up on play assume a tackle will be made. SMH

giphy.gif

Been asking for this and finally got it. Nice wrinkle by CDP creating a mismatch for his fastest WR on the field vs the Cov 2 boundary defense.
giphy.gif

DO YOUR JOB!!!! Once again, if you can count to 3 you can play for IBEE, our MLB #3 is the RB. We know it’s pass on the play action bc of the OL helmets are high. Instead of opening up his hips to the man he’s zone off of, Curry commits the deadly sin of turning his back in zone coverage. The QB has to be laughing at how easy it right now
giphy.gif

Great touch by Sims & great job on the blitz pick up by the back & Defoors. He’s on his way to All-Acc honors imo
giphy.gif

This is embarrassing. I’m pretty sure we screamed NO MAS! after this play. Horrible effort. We are not an effort based defense now! Showell is in the box to create a 8 man box.

Dominick gets thrown out the saloon on the double team.
Showell go inside takes him out the play with the wash. Quez and the CB are in Cov 2 invert look, so Quez is part of the run support. I’ve never seen a LB back away from contact. He should be attack that TE to constrict the lane. Even Zamari 1st step should be back instead of up, this is a horrible effort for an unblocked shut. Sam goes for Oliver as well.Extremely embarrassing

giphy.gif

i don’t know who needs to hear this but we to need get our stuff together now on that side of the ball or a few heads need to roll. Plain and simple. This is not the effort being preached.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.