ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Period(s)for Spring, 2016& Potpouri

Prayers out to our friends in Italy from the terrible earthquake that rocked much of the country last evening. The death toll is now over 70 and over 2,000 are unaccounted for at last report.

I checked both Francesca Pan and Antonia Peresson's hometowns on the map. They are both from the northeast corner of Italy - far from the epicenter about 90 miles northeast of Rome in central Italy.

Sad. :(

edit note: Death toll now over 120...this will likely continue to get worse and worse as the day and week progresses. :(

Last edited:
I second those prayers. Just terrible, sad news.

My beloved Grandfather who has passed on, was from a small town outside of Naples. He played pro. baseball here in the states until leaving for WWII, upon returning to find his job gone and no place in the game for a 30 y.o.

Glad to see Tech and Auburn will continue to play one another in beesball... http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/082416aaa.html

The Tigers play their first 17 games at home and don’t leave the borders of Alabama until game 22 at Georgia Tech on March 21. The meeting with Georgia Tech marks the third-straight season of a home-and-home matchup with the longtime rival that includes a return date at Plainsman Park on April 4.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Potpourri:

D1A CFB starts Friday night, Aug. 26, with a game between Susan Lucci's Cal Bears against the Rainbows of Hawaii from Sydney, Australia. 10pmET televised via ESPN. The Bears are favored by 20.

Lucci should be one of the star WR's in Sonny Dykes' spread 4-WR scheme. They will of course be breaking in a new QB as Jared Goff went #1 in the past spring's NFL Draft to the L.A. Rams.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Complaint potpourri.....this is what I posted on the Air Supply and AirHead Facebook pages:

Very disappointed in the materialism of concert performers. It has caught up to my favorite group, Air Supply. Having watched them perform at many venues since the late '70's, always attending the "Meet & Greet" after the show, we waited 20 minutes last night only to be turned away. Russell did not attend and we were told Graham decided not to autograph anything except his poetry book for 30$(when I said, let me purchase one, the staff said too late, only before or during the show for sales). Our "special needs family of 2" only wanted to speak to him for a quick 30 seconds as always and shake hands feeling the love they portray. No pictures, no autographs needed for either of us. To charge for pre-concert and post-concert events in the 41st year, totally changes their policy of meeting any or all fans after the show. My son was disappointed at not meeting a new band member, not saying hello to a fellow Atlanta resident, Russell Hitchcock who my boy has adored for all of his 17 years. Graham has been my song writing hero since I first discovered him in 1976. When I protested to the staff supervisor, she said those are the "performers wishes". I stated, for Autism and other challenges faced by two Air Supply Fanatics who have every album, 8-track, cassette, compact disc ever made by them, to another gentleman now placed in charge? He said, yes nothing we can do!
This has changed my opinion of the group. I will no longer put 2$ a week aside, every week for a year to buy tickets for a potential show here next August. We couldn't travel anymore with a 14 year-old car, however this was a way to keep my son active with his heroes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thinking of renting a car to the GT away games. Even Memorial and the new Littlejohn in Tiger Lake.

Thanks to Legal Bees from the Hive over on the Scout/Go Jackets site, for compiling a "Lunch Bunch" today with CJP:

As always, from memory, so others please feel free to make additions and corrections.
- He is nothing, if not enthusiastic. Very energetic. Talked a lot about his background and how that shaped his philosophy.
- He believes good shooting can hide a lot of other problems, so that is where he will focus. Must be good at 3 pointers to make everything else work.
- First priority was staffing. His biggest hires are players and alum from GT, Stanford, and Northwestern, so they know what it takes to compete at academic institutions. Good coaches on own, but also have academic backgrounds. Problem is his coaches are bigger than his players.
- Another big priority is recruiting/evaluation. Not much he can do for this year, but working on future. Has already sent coaches to Europe and Chile and is also working on keeping local talent.
- Great teams need a couple of studs and everyone else to be hard working, blue-collar players to do their jobs. Just needs one or two players that can make a difference and the rest will follow.
- He has very little control over anything this year, from players to uniforms, since everything was set before he arrived. He will make the most of what he has, but we are starting from scratch for the future. The best player this year will be "who ever is open."
- Currently only have two problems: no standout guards and no big men.
- Judge him this year on the teams effort, not necessarily the results. May not win at first, but we will be proud of their effort. Starting next year, everything is his responsibility. Must control the ball and fight for ever loose ball/turn over.
- Emphasis will be on working hard, making an effort, and being aggressive. These will eventually translate into wins. We have no room for error this season. We need to dictate game and attack - can not afford to let opposition
- Saw UGA TV show about their athletics on Saturday morning. Ask GT where our show is. They said "well..." He said "no, well...we have to market and compete."
- Attended event with full band and was impressed. Asked GT why we have so few band members at basketball games. GT said "well...." He said "no, well... We need the excitement and students." He is working with music department to get bigger band for games.
- Shoes and uniforms and VERY important to young players, even though we may not get it. More important in basketball than any other sport. Need to lobby GT and new AD to make a priority.
- GT basketball belongs to the school and community, not him. We need to support and market better.
- He wants input. May not agree with you, but wants to know what people are thinking/seeing.
- Best way to support team is buy season tickets. Crowds bring players, players bring wins, wins bring crowds, repeat.
- GT has a great message, we just need to get it out there better.

Quotes for Swarm Week:
PROUD OF WHO WE ARE
Throughout history the foundation of Georgia Tech Athletics has not wavered. The student-athlete has always been more important than winning or losing. This sets Tech apart from many universities and is something to be proud of. Academics are not sacrificed for championships, and the Athletic Association is structured around developing the "Total Person" rather than merely the player.
"Finally, we should always keep uppermost in mind that football, with all its glamour, glitter, thrills and chills, plus everything that makes it great, has one thing more important than all of these combined--that is, the boy who plays it.".

Robert L. "Bobby" Dodd
Head Coach and Athletic Director
Georgia Institute of Technology

“Here at Georgia Tech, we're not like other schools. If anything ever happens to you, we're going to honor your scholarship."

- Coach Paul Johnson

Four-star recruit Jaylend Ratliffe comments after ATV accident renders him unable to play football.
"They said it from Day 1, and they said it even when I was at the roughest part of my life," Ratliffe says now. "I can't put it in words how I felt when they said that. They looked at me beyond the athlete. That's one thing they told me -- you're not going to play forever, how's your education going to make you better?"

More info →
What's more incredible than Georgia Tech's approach to sports are the student-athletes who play them. They have to be great at both academics and athletics, and that's what makes us proud to wear the white and gold.
It isn't rocket science. Or is it?
Not many universities can claim their football players are literally.

Political/Human Relations potpourris-
In the spirit of taking out the #2 leader of ISIS, yesterday....
Did you know on the subject of cannibalism, the brain has the most calories in the human body for consumption?
The family that eats each other, stays together.

Thanks to R.M. for compiling:
Verbal Commitments - Class of 2017

Jake Brace RHP R-R 5-11 170 Suwanee, GA (North Gwinnett)
Devonte Brown SS R-R 5-10 170 Newnan, GA (East Coweta)
Hugh Chapman RHP R-R 6-2 180 Smyrna, GA (Holy Innocents)
Michael Guldberg SS R-R 6-0 170 Marietta, GA (Walton)
Colin Hall OF L-R 5-11 175 Alpharetta, GA (Wesleyan)
Brant Hurter LHP L-L 6-6 230 Canton, GA (Woodstock)
Kale Ledford 3B R-R 6-0 175 Oxford, GA (George Walton Academy)
Joseph Mannelly 1B L-L 6-3 215 Atlanta, GA (Marist)
Cole Neuber OF R-R 6-2 180 Alpharetta, GA (Johns Creek)
Chase Patrick RHP R-R 5-11 160 Ellaville, GA (Schley County)
Baron Radcliff OF L-R 6-4 212 Peachtree Corners, GA (Norcross)
Jason Rooks OF R-R 6-3 205 Marietta, GA (Walton)
Oscar Serratos SS R-R 6-2 180 Lawrenceville, GA (Grayson)
Crews Taylor SS L-R 6-1 170 Lawrenceville, GA (Archer)
Jamie Taylor C R-R 6-1 200 Johns Creek, GA (Marist)
Cameron Turley C R-R 6-4 195 Dacula, GA (Mill Creek)
Luke Waddell SS L-R 5-6 160 Loveland, OH (Loveland)

Verbal Commitments - Class of 2018

Luke Bartnicki LHP L-L 6-3 190 Marietta, GA (Walton)
Jack Friedman RHP R-R 6-0 200 Decatur, GA (Paideia)
Logan Jarosz RHP R-R 6-0 160 Mebane, NC (Eastern Alamance)
Will Shirah LHP S-L 6-2 185 Blue Ridge, GA (Fannin County)
Kendall Simmons SS R-R 6-2 185 Macon, GA (Tatnall Square)

Here's the career fair at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hell...

100_Feature-Image-for-Cheaters-Article-628x250.png

This Clemson grad is ready for the work force with that great education he's received...

john-deere-pedal-tractor-ride-on.jpg

Of course, the state of Georgia's flagship land grant university prepares its graduates for exciting careers upon graduation...

nn_09ellis_janitor_120509.blocks_desktop_large.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT