ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Period(s)for Spring, 2016& Potpouri

As FYI, I just received confirmation (much to my disappointment, but not killing the messenger as I appreciate his response) from GT's Director of Communications that the All-Access PPV package moving forward will NOT stream any live games or matches. This means - and he confirmed for me - no WBB, no beesball, no anything. I assume (not confirmed) this is part of our contractual agreement with ESPN and an ACC Network Extra thing. That's disappointing. While we'll get more games via ACC Network Extra, which is of course a good thing, there will be some games/matches that will get no coverage at all all from a video perspective - such as coming up on Nov. 4 Volleybees match vs Virginia Tech. Bummer.

Just passing this along in case anybody is subscribing or considering to do so. I subscribe monthly and will be canceling my subscription as there isn't any reason to continue moving forward. I *do* appreciate the DoC getting back with me with the information.

That stinks for the many, many, out-of-town followers. That will certainly not help what's left of the 20%, in keeping their interest.
In the least, as you have stated, he is trying to be transparent and making your decision easier for saving money. Obviously, he had no say in this decision.

He advised "they received clarification from the ACC" so it certainly suggests it was out of Tech's hands and was a conference contractual thing (likely with ESPN owning our rights).

Atlanta United FC will play its first home match on Grant Field next spring... http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ited-to-kick-off-inaugural-mls-season-in.html

As a DC United fan, will be good to see AUFC in MLS and in the Eastern Conference. Looking forward to it. MLS grows to 22 clubs with Atlanta and Minneapolis starting next season. LA's 2nd team and Miami (likely, still pending) will move it up to 24 in 2018. Good stuff.

GO UNITED!! DC United, that is. Defeat NYC FC at RFK this Sunday afternoon and we are in the playoffs.

edit note: with a large contingent of international students and faculty at Tech along with the sport growing with U.S. students, I imagine these games on campus will attract a lot of Tech folks which will then spill over to attendance at the new stadium once ready...that is, if AUFC markets it properly...great to see...I wish GT had a men's and women's soccer team...Tech is the only P5 school without a women's soccer program

edit note #2: for those not familiar with MLS, they normally release the 34-game season schedule around the 2nd week of January for that upcoming season which starts in March

Last edited:
He advised "they received clarification from the ACC" so it certainly suggests it was out of Tech's hands and was a conference contractual thing (likely with ESPN owning our rights).
If ACC/ ESPN doesn't want to broadcast, then they should allow these to be broadcast in other ways if the schools want to do it.

Amen to that. Makes no sense to me. Seems like more exposure is better one way or the other. I was hoping to see the Volleybees, Lady J's and especially Joltin Jackets games which were not televised or streamed live via ACC Network Extra. That's about 20 home beesball games each spring...maybe they'll be streamed live via ACCNE now. I doubt all, but hopefully most. The All-Access video using Wiley B's WREK audio broadcast made for some good Beesball viewing. My fear is some of that now goes away. Booooooo, ACC!

At minimum, ramblinwreck.com should put something on its website to advise subscribers or potential subscribers...as well as, send a note to all subscribers to advise them of this new development. Further, if they are ethical, they would provide the option to all who subscribed for the entire school year some type of pro-rated refund of their $99.99 subscription since it is not anywhere near what they signed up for. I'm just glad I found out now and am only out $20 for 2 months of subscription to which I essentially got to view 1 Volleybees match at Coastal Carolina and a few of CPJ's radio shows, which leave a lot to be desired.

Hopefully, Tech will do the right thing here.

It might actually make the games they broadcast more valuable, if a regular fan base starts following the teams consistently. But I guess those folks at ESPN didn't go to the best business schools.

Head Cheater, Bubba Cunningham, essentially says nothing about the potential revenue loss for the ACC in turning away from incentives from ESPN regarding avoiding a 9+1 scheduling model... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0575442993939486032-4

Bubba Cunningham on potential ACC Network revenue loss from maintaining 8+1 scheduling: "We really don't know what that's going to look like. We have to put together the network, we have to launch it, we have to get subscribers, we have to get people to request it. Everything is built on forecasts. We'll have to see what happens in 2019-20 (when the linear network launches)."

Those three days in June ought to be extra busy, if this passes. December can be active after in-season visits and with the JUCO's for the $EC.

And, after the bill was passed, a little known statement from a Georgia State Legislator...

..."Let the Shaft begin".

:D

It's the dumbest thing imaginable. About the only people it punishes are the fans who had nothing to do with the penalties and the clean players who went through the institution following all the silly rules.

Like Sean Bedford once said, you can pry the ACC Championship ring off of my dead, cold finger.

I think recruits from outer space likely start at 14 1/2 stars don't you? 16 1/2 for defensive players. I keep my standards regardless of area. I wonder which of our 27 assistant coaches we'll have on staff if CPJ has his way will recruit the Mars and Jupiter areas?

I'll volunteer for the trip to Freon. It's way too warm down here. Climate change, global warming, Noon start again next week...I'm with Al Gore and the Chinese people!

Interesting. I did not know this about our Senior Associate AD for Operations' past... http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-aztecs-20161020-story.html

That leaves Wicker, who knows SDSU well, having been Sterk’s No. 2 before leaving to become associate AD at Georgia Tech in 2015, and would bring continuity to an athletic department winning like never before. But he also was a key figure in the 2013 firing of former women’s basketball coach Beth Burns, who filed a civil lawsuit and last month won a $3.3 million judgment; Burns’ attorneys argued Wicker conducted a “sham investigation” that was a central reason for her termination.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT