ADVERTISEMENT

2016 G.T. Football(incldg. late previews, incoming freshmen, fall camp, articles, et al.)

4 takeaways by Ken S at AJC (some interesting tidbits about the O-Line)... http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/08/24/4-things-to-know-from-georgia-techs-preseason/

Freshman offensive lineman Kenny Cooper has been moved to center, backing up Burden. Johnson has said that all three first-year freshman linemen – Parker Braun, Jahaziel Lee and Cooper – could play this season. Going forward, getting time at center would put Cooper in position to replace Burden in 2017. Andrew Marshall, who has been Burden’s backup and is a junior, may stay at tackle, where he has been throughout the preseason.

It appears that Braun – the younger brother of former Tech guard Trey Braun – has moved into the No. 4 guard spot, with Brad Morgan ahead of him and Scott Morgan behind him (and Shamire Devine and Will Bryan at the starting spots). It remains to be seen how much offensive-line coach Mike Sewak will want to use one or more in a rotation. Sewak spoke well of both Brad Morgan and Braun, saying that Morgan has become more adept at recognizing twists (in which one defensive lineman loops around another in hopes of creating confusion) and adjusting accordingly. Braun, Sewak said, “has continued to improve.”

Have to admit, one of my hangouts before the noon games in addition to the Silver Skillet. If the grease doesn't wake you up, the cook can toss a little on you while prepping the meats:

SWMBO and I love Waffle House. Go there at least once a month on a Saturday or Sunday morning for breakfast. I love their burgers and chili as well. Good stuff. Great founders and historical ties to Tech of course as well.

I learned from a website recently that some think the yellow and black colors of WH started with ties to Tech, but instead the founders got the idea from the colors of school buses.

Do they say, "Mornin" in Virginia? When you get one whisker inside the door? Two of you get multiple greetings from the Wait Staff. Love it! How can you beat the times(up until last year) they had biscuits with an egg and cheese for a buck?

I was offered a State of Ga. position in Accounting for a half-way house. The 19 ladies in there were to turn those huge pay checks over to my charge, with their tips(ha, ha, collecting the correct amount). 18 worked at Waffle House, 1 from Dunk & Dine. Location off Monroe and Piedmont.

If you think they look a little rough in Atlanta, well the Steaks have competition is all I can say.

Tech finished 120th in the nation in sacks per game at 1.17. 14 sacks on the entire season is dreadful.

As this article points out, that was against 337 pass attempts by our opposition... http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/tech-gets-help-from-falcons-with-pass-rush/nsLwK/

But wait. It gets worse. Of the 14 sacks Tech's defense registered, 5 of them were in blowouts of overmanned Alcorn State (2) and Tulane (3) to start the season. So, we got only 9 sacks in 10 games against legit competition.

This absolutely has to improve or Tech will get picked apart another season. Sacks are not the end-all be-all stat for pressuring a QB, but they are game-changing type plays and are indicative of continuing pressure eventually creating havoc in the opponent's backfield. We should get a stern test right off the bat in Ireland as BC has a QB who showed he can move around and out of the pocket at Kentucky. BC returns 3 starters on an O-Line that looks to improve on giving up 2.3 sacks a game last year (tied for 73rd in the nation) in what was a dreadful '16 offense.

We are now within the 10-day window where Weather Underground will give us forecasts. As of now (1:50pmET, Thursday, Aug. 25), the ridiculously too early forecast for Dublin, Ireland at 12:30pm local time for kickoff is 25% chance of rain and 62 degrees.

Hmmmm...that pretty much sums up every day of the many times I've been in Ireland during this time of year (though mostly down in Cork or over in Shannon).

And now for a wacky idea to keep an eye on. A tropical storm is threatening the Bahamas with eyes on Florida early next week. When the gulf stream catches one of these storms, it can make its way straight into Ireland if it holds together long enough, though obviously not nearly as strong...but, enough to generate rain.

How's that for weather thinking way too far ahead? Come on football season, hurry up and get here already!!! (D1A FB starts in full one week from tonight...GO VOLS!)

My guess from this saber metric from below, is 27%:(7-5):
Brian Fremeau‏ @bcfremeau
Georgia Tech projected record distribution per FEI:
4% 10-2
12% 9-3
23% 8-4
27% 7-5
20% 6-6
10% 5-7
3% 4-8
1% 3-9

I'm sticking with 8-4, with the 23%!!

My guess from this saber metric from below, is 27%:(7-5):
Brian Fremeau‏ @bcfremeau
Georgia Tech projected record distribution per FEI:
4% 10-2
12% 9-3
23% 8-4
27% 7-5
20% 6-6
10% 5-7
3% 4-8
1% 3-9

I'm sticking with 8-4, with the 23%!!
Put me in the 12 percent group.

Attrition of the 2013 class was a big part of what went bad last season, but reading this story about Darius Commissiong being dismissed from ECU makes it clear that not all attrition is bad. Come to think of it, I don't think any of the guys we lost from that class has gone on to do much of anything.

Weather in Ireland is fickle at best. It can be raining, then sunny, then raining, then sunny, and then raining again...and, that is just in a 15-minute span.

But, while still a long way away, it is looking like this game at this moment will be played in the rain... https://www.wunderground.com/ie//dublin/zmw:00000.1.03969

(note, I doubt our linemen will mind this one bit...further, for guys from the Deep South who have been practicing in 90+ degree heat for the past month, I'm pretty sure ALL of our guys will love the refreshing 60 degree temps during the game)

2 reminders...

1. Tonight (Monday, Aug. 29) is the first Paul Johnson Radio Show at 7pmET.

2. Friday (Friday, Sep. 2) is the annual Wear Your College Colors Day... http://www.collegecolorsday.com/

(not that you REALLY needed a reminder on either though)

I will expect a full report on the CPJ Show from that bastion of the brews, Stech81. He might forward us a copy of his letter to a certain Coach, if we are fortunate.

We are wearing our Tech colors all week, especially at the GSU game Friday(or if we decide on Meadowcreek- Duluth, a real yawner). It's not often we can celebrate being undefeated!

Paul Johnson live press conference today at 11:30am...can be seen via live streaming at All-Access (I believe for free if don't have subscription).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT