ADVERTISEMENT

2016 G.T. Football(incldg. late previews, incoming freshmen, fall camp, articles, et al.)

You men are going to see improvements in "special teams play". It's about time for one of us to take responsibility for a group that can make a difference in three or four games per year. That's why I have overthrown our Head Coach, giving the charge to CLO. Of course if any unit fails it is the fault of Hewitt or Bobinski or Gregory or Pepper Rodgers or(fill in the blank)....

I just hope we get to see that pic of Butker kicking off this fall a helluva lot more than we did a year ago.

I hope his leg is exhausted from kicking off and PAT's. I want him crying to the S&C staff and athletic trainers. I want to see ice on his leg from overuse during games. I want...

Damn. It just occurred to me that I want a lot of stuff. Greed has crept into my Thursday. Sorry about that.

Nevermind. You get the point.

Rock Horns

I got your "points". I want to see #80 Shawn Davis kicking in the second half of all the games. That means it is out of reach.

I'm greedy too. Please give me one of those credit cards you haven't cancelled yet?

Yes, the additional note is very crucial. In fact, I'd just settle for one right now. Baby steps. That is, that can block of course.

And, only because when I signed my contract to post here there is an obscure clause that says I have to randomly include a pic of a guy in a funny hat once every 3 months, I give you...

Paul-Johnson-Sings-in-a-Sombrero.jpg

Thursday, Aug. 18:
ATLANTA-- Rain poured down as practice ended for the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets as the players count down the final days of Fall Camp '16. Tech head coach Paul Johnson spoke about the battle for the starting B-back job and updated the injury status of one of the Jackets' star signees from 2016.

"We are getting to the part where it is getting to be a little bit of a grind. Playing against each other and guys losing their temper a little bit so it is good that camp is about over," Johnson said. "We will go in shells tomorrow and have a little scrimmage on Saturday morning and that will be good."

One of the more interesting battles this spring has been the B-back position. True freshman Dedrick Mills is pushing Marcus Marshall for playing time and coach Johnson said all five scholarship B-backs could have a role this fall in the offense.

"Real close, it is 1a. and 1b. in my mind," Johnson said of the B-back competition. "They are both going to play a lot. Quaide Weimerskirch has done some good things and he has done a great job blocking, Kirvonte (Benson) has done some good things. We are way better at that position, way better."

Johnson says the level of competition has really elevated the level of play in Fall Camp and he thinks it will do the same in the fall on the field.

"It helps when you have kids competing," Johnson said. "The third B-back is either Quaide, Kirvonte or Marcus Allen. Marcus (Allen) is pretty steady too and an older guy. We truthfully have five guys there that could play. We just have to let it play out."

Johnson announced that four-star freshman defensive end Jordan Woods is out for the season with an undisclosed upper body injury.

"Jordan got hurt and he is going to need some surgery and will probably redshirt," Johnson said. "We did even really get a chance to evaluate him."

Woods should be back for spring practice according to Johnson.

#GTCAMP16 Report: Thursday, Aug. 18

THE FLATS -- After a relatively light Wednesday practice, the crack of pads returned to Rose Bowl Field and the John and Mary Brock Football Facility on Thursday for Georgia Tech's 15th practice of the season.

Practice Details:
The Yellow Jackets were back in full pads for Thursday's full-contact practice after working out in shells on Wednesday. The 24-period practice lasted nearly two-and-a-half hours and was conducted under mostly cloudy skies with some scattered sprinkles but concluded before heavy thunderstorms rolled into Midtown Atlanta.

Play of the Day:
A live one-minute drill capped Thursday's practice, with Georgia Tech's offense charged with moving the ball from its own territory into scoring position and the Yellow Jackets' defense challenged to maintain a two-point lead. A strong defensive effort during the period was highlighted by redshirt-freshman linebacker David Curry intercepting a pass to end one series. The errant pass was forced by a strong pass rush from the Yellow Jackets' defensive front.

Quote of the Day:
"We're getting to the point where it's starting to be a little bit of a grind. Playing against each other ... it's probably good that camp's about over. We'll go in shells (Friday), have a good scrimmage on Saturday. It'll be good."
- Head coach Paul Johnson.

In total agreement with you, unless he is in the rotation.
He is showing why opposing H.S. Coaches said he was the best player in the Nashville area. His footwork is incredible, on film he moves laterally quicker than Kevin Battle at that same age. We can't discount how his size takes up two blockers, three in H.S.

Ready for some football?
I know, it looks like a Ga.State Panther crowd. Imagine how difficult it must have been to get so few people in a couple of shots of B.D.S./G.F.?

The pick on the right is from our game against Bye Week last year.

The one on the left is from our game against Open Date 2 years ago. Open Date fans don't travel well.

Expecting huge improvement in our offensive production this year with all those FR now having PT under their belts and a few well-positioned rookies. This team has more RB's than I've ever seen on a college team.

Camp '16, 08-20:
ATLANTA-- Georgia Tech wrapped up Fall Camp on Saturday with a spirited scrimmage without some of the key starters. Head coach Paul Johnson said he elected to rest some of his veterans like quarterback Justin Thomas and center Freddie Burden to get a look at the guys who in major position battles for backup jobs.

"It was kind of ragged, but I kind of expected that," Johnson said. "We held a lot of guys out and there was some good and bad. The ball was on the ground way too much so that was good for the defense. Offensively there were too many fumbles."

The race for the backup quarterback position between Matthew Jordan and TaQuon Marshall is still an ongoing process according to Johnson.

"It is situational like I've said all along. It would just depend on the situation in the game and the way it was going," he said.

The first team offense only managed two scoring drives in the scrimmage and Johnson says he wasn't happy with either quarterbacks' performance Saturday.

"Today I was a little disappointed," Johnson said of his backup quarterbacks. "We tried to do some unbalanced and stuff like that and they missed some stuff that should be easy, but they haven't played a lot so that's why you do it and why you practice."

Overall, Johnson says he was pleased with Fall Camp '16 and the Jackets will shift their focus beginning Saturday afternoon to Boston College.

"I think we had a good camp and got after it really well this spring with a lot of tackling and a lot of scrimmaging," he said. "That's why I wanted to hold some guys out and my big focus now is focusing in on Boston College and getting the guys fresh for the first game. I want them to have their legs. We've done most of the heavy beating and there is not a lot of that left of the contact work. It is more game plan stuff and separating into scouts. When you have fewer people you can get more reps for them too."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT