ADVERTISEMENT

2016 G.T. Football(incldg. late previews, incoming freshmen, fall camp, articles, et al.)

Number changing:
- JJ Green - #28
- Clinton Lynch - #22
- Antonio Messick - #81
- CJ Leggett - #7
- Lammont Simmons - #6
- Dorian Walker - #4

Not sure about Trevor Stroebel, or if Antonio Simmons comes back in the fall?

Someone on the Hive noticed that Whitehead was no longer on the roster. Another font mentioned that he was graduating after this summer.

CPJ enters his 9th season at the NATS.

Here's a look at season-by-season points scored, points allowed, and margin points per game since 2002 for our 8 ACC games + Cesspool game annually (essentially throwing out cupcakes, other OOC games and MEG's)...

Year...For...Against...Margin
GAILEY
2002...17.2...22.3.....-5.1
2003...18.7...23.6.....-4.9
2004...17.2...21.8.....-4.6
2005...17.9...19.6.....-1.7
2006...25.0...18.9....+6.1
2007...19.7...22.7.....-3.0
JOHNSON
2008...25.0...22.0....+3.0
2009...31.7...23.3....+8.4
2010...24.8...29.1.....-4.3
2011...26.8...27.0.....-0.2
2012...36.7...30.6....+6.1
2013...31.4...25.2....+6.2
2014...36.4...23.4..+13.0
2015...21.7...29.2.....-7.6

We followed the best margin with the worst.

If we lose to Duke and/or the Cheaters for a 3rd year in a row, I think I will be sick.

Just thinking about they each have a 2-game winning streak on us kind of makes me...

vomiting.gif

FYI...opening weekend point spreads of note...

(Fri, Aug 26) California -21.5 vs Hawaii - at Sydney, Australia
(Thu, Sep 1) Charlotte +38 at Louisville
(Thu) Tulane +18 at Wake Forest
(Thu) South Carolina +3 at Vanderbilt
(Fri) Ball State +3 at Georgia State
Georgia Tech -3.5 vs Boston College - at Dublin, Ireland
Hawaii +42 at Michigan
Clemson -7.5 at Auburn
LSU -9.5 vs Wisconsin - at Lambeau Field, Green Bay, Wisconsin
Cheaters +3 vs Cesspool - at Georgia Dome
Southern Cal +10.5 vs Alabama - at Arlington, Tejas
(Sun) Notre Dame -4 at Tejas
(Mon) Florida State -6 vs Ole Miss - at Orlando, Florida

We need more B-Backs. We probably need at least 2 more B-Back coaches too.

Marcus Marshall, C.J. Leggett, Quaide Weimerskirch, Marcus Allen, KirVonte Benson, and newcomer Dedrick Mills. That's 6.

Seriously, when looking at the offense as a whole (you know, "those" guys ;))...we have JT5, Ike Willis, Burden, and Allen as seniors. Only JT5 and Burden are at positions where we don't have any proven depth behind them. The good is that hopefully we will be better than last year and the future is bright because there could be as many as 15 of the 22 two-deep on offense who are either sophs or frosh. The bad - or should I positively phrase it as "question marks"? - is that in the short-term this youth has to grow up, step up, and get significantly better as a unit PDQ or '16 will be painful again.

The best way to get young experience is get a big lead by sometime in the 3rd and then let them gain the experience in late game scenarios.

We need more B-Backs. We probably need at least 2 more B-Back coaches too.

Marcus Marshall, C.J. Leggett, Quaide Weimerskirch, Marcus Allen, KirVonte Benson, and newcomer Dedrick Mills. That's 6.

Seriously, when looking at the offense as a whole (you know, "those" guys ;))...we have JT5, Ike Willis, Burden, and Allen as seniors. Only JT5 and Burden are at positions where we don't have any proven depth behind them. The good is that hopefully we will be better than last year and the future is bright because there could be as many as 15 of the 22 two-deep on offense who are either sophs or frosh. The bad - or should I positively phrase it as "question marks"? - is that in the short-term this youth has to grow up, step up, and get significantly better as a unit PDQ or '16 will be painful again.
I understand where you are coming from, as long as we don't have a season filled with injuries like last year we will be ok not great but ok. I see 8 wins , can we win more ? Yes but you have to have a little luck and a little better defense. I trust CTR will listen to you this year :).

I'm hoping our D will have Texwood using the label by mid-season that we are "consistently mediocre". That would be a step up. ;)

Just a scheduling note, the ACC Media Days event at Charlotte will be July 21-22, Thursday-Friday. Just 2 weeks away to help get the juices flowing...and, help us get through the butt ugly month of July.

Side note, nine 2016 ACC vs SEC matchups during the regular season...

Sep. 3 - Cheaters vs Cesspool, 5:30, ESPN, at Georgia Dome
Sep. 3 - Auburn With A Lake at Clemson Without A Lake, 9:00, ESPN
Sep. 5 (Labor Day) - Florida State vs Ole Miss, 8:00, ESPN, at Orlando
Sep. 10 - Virginia Tech vs Tennessee, 8:00, ABC, The Battle at Bristol (Speedway)
Sep. 17 - Vanderbilt at Georgia Tech, 12:30, ACC Network
Nov. 26 - Florida at Florida State
Nov. 26 - South Carolina at Clemson
Nov. 26 - Georgia Tech at Cesspool
Nov. 26 - Kentucky at Louisville

FWIW, results from last year...

Sep. 3 - South Carolina over Cheaters 17-13
Sep. 5 - Auburn over Louisville 31-24
Sep. 26 - LSU over Syracuse 34-24
Nov. 28 - Clemson over South Carolina 37-32
Nov. 28 - Cesspool over Georgia Tech 13-7
Nov. 28 - Florida State over Florida 27-2
Nov. 28 - Louisville over Kentucky 38-24

SEC 4-3

Last edited:
McIllece Sports' claim to fame is it has been the 2nd most accurate preseason predictor of D1A CFB finishes the last 2 seasons among 21 fanboy magazines.

Here's this year's info... https://mcillecesports.com/

As a UT Vols supporter, I am tickled to see the Big Orange at the top. We will find out quickly - as usual with UT's schedule - whether Butch Jones is a contender or pretender. Certainly, the Vols return a ton of starters across the board and get Florida and Bama at home. If the Vols can beat the Hokies in Bristol, the Cesspool at Hell and A&M in College Station, they are on their way. Haven't beaten the Gators in over a decade so they need to get that monkey off the back in late September at General Neyland's Stadium.

The Jackets are projected 3rd in the Coastal, which is encouraging to me. Spray Tan Boy's bunch is picked 6th. Interesting. FSU is picked to win the Atlantic. The Cheaters are picked to win the Coastal again. Good Buddha, let's hope not.

If nothing else, just some fun offseason reading to help get us through this crappy time of year...

Reactions: SPRITE6
Side note, nine 2016 ACC vs SEC matchups during the regular season...

Sep. 3 - Auburn With A Lake at Clemson Without A Lake, 9:00, ESPN
Sep. 5 (Labor Day) - Florida State vs Ole Miss, 8:00, ESPN, at Orlando
Sep. 10 - Virginia Tech vs Tennessee, 8:00, ABC, The Battle at Bristol (Speedway)
Sep. 17 - Vanderbilt at Georgia Tech, 12:30, ACC Network
Nov. 26 - Florida at Florida State
Nov. 26 - South Carolina at Clemson
Nov. 26 - Georgia Tech at Cesspool
Nov. 26 - Kentucky at Louisville

FWIW, results from last year...

Sep. 3 - South Carolina over Cheaters 17-13
Sep. 5 - Auburn over Louisville 31-24
Sep. 26 - LSU over Syracuse 34-24
Nov. 28 - Clemson over South Carolina 37-32
Nov. 28 - Cesspool over Georgia Tech 13-7
Nov. 28 - Florida State over Florida 27-2
Nov. 28 - Louisville over Kentucky 38-24

SEC 4-3

When are they imploding the Dome?

Not sure who exactly in the P.R. Team put together the poster we located in the Barnes and Noble on Friday, with the schedule attached. However, having your kicker at the top with PJ Davis below him, JT5 on the bottom, seemed to be off with us. I looked at my son, and both agreed this makes us look like we are depending on the kicker/short guys.

Here are a few other candidates for the poster:
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071116aaa.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT