ADVERTISEMENT

2016 G.T. Football(incldg. late previews, incoming freshmen, fall camp, articles, et al.)

Camp '16 on 08-11-16:

THE FLATS -- Georgia Tech football hit the field for practice No. 8 of preseason fall camp on Thursday afternoon at Rose Bowl Field and the John and Mary Brock Football Facility.

Practice Details:
Georgia Tech returned to full pads on Thursday afternoon after wearing helmets, shoulder pads and shorts on Wednesday. Consistent with all of the previous fall practices so far this year, Thursday's session was again 24 periods and lasted just over two hours.

Drill of the Day:
Thursday's Play of the Day came from the Drill of the Day. At the end of a period early in practice, an assistant coach directed team managers to pile dozens of blocking pads on top of a football. Two defensive players were selected to line up on either side of the cushiony mountain and at the sound of a whistle, dove into the pile in search of the loose football. Sophomore defensive back Lamont Simmons came away with the ball, setting off an early-practice celebration among his teammates.

Quote of the Day
"I think it's been good. I don't have a problem with the way they have been practicing. I think that they have been working and been going at it pretty good."
- Head coach Paul Johnson on his thoughts on the effort and energy of the team in camp thus far.

Last edited:
#GTCAMP16 Report: Friday, Aug. 12

THE FLATS -- In anticipation of its first intrasquad scrimmage of the season on Saturday, Georgia Tech focused on fundamentals during Friday's practice at Rose Bowl Field and the John and Mary Brock Football Facility.

Practice Details:
With Saturday's scrimmage looming, head coach Paul Johnson and the Tech staff scaled back from drills that pitted the offense versus the defense on Friday and focused almost exclusively on individual and group work during Friday's 24-period, two-and-a-half-hour practice. The Yellow Jackets also dialed back the hitting on Friday, opting to practice in helmets, shoulder pads and shorts.

Movie Time:
To allow for maximum recovery time before Saturday's scrimmage, Friday's practice was moved from its usual late-afternoon time slot to 9 a.m. With the extra time later in the day, the Yellow Jackets headed to the theater for a showing of the No. 1 hit Suicide Squad.

Camp Correspondent Patrick Gamble:
In the latest installment from #GTCAMP16 correspondent Patrick Gamble, Pat debates superhero prowess with freshman AB Jackie Harris:

Camp '16, 08-14-2016

THE FLATS -- Georgia Tech football opened the final week of its 2016 preseason camp with a light practice on Sunday afternoon at Rose Bowl Field and the John and Mary Brock Football Facility.

Practice Details:
After Saturday's 104-play intrasquad scrimmage, Sunday's practice was its shortest of the season to date, lasting less than two hours. The primary focus of the workout was special teams, as the Yellow Jackets spent extensive time on every phase of the kicking game. Offensive and defensive drills were limited and there was no contact. However, for the first time this fall, practiced closed with full-team conditioning (i.e. running).

What's next?:
Fall camp continues on Monday with a full workout at Rose Bowl Field and the John and Mary Brock Football Facility.

http://thefootballscene.com/2016/08/14/yellow-jackets-try-make-low-expectations/

#GTCAMP16 Report: Monday, Aug. 15

THE FLATS -- Georgia Tech football was back in full pads on Monday for its 12th practice of fall camp.

Practice Details:
The Yellow Jackets 22-period practice lasted a little more than two hours.

Play of the Day:
With the team simulating third-and-five plays during 11-on-11 work near the end of practice, sophomore B-back Marcus Marshall took a handoff, burst through a hole on the left side of the line of scrimmage and raced past the secondary for a long touchdown run.

Quote of the Day:
"I've always wanted to have a buzz-cut for camp ... but I also wanted to do that for people that have been through cancer, been through chemotherapy ... family members and friends. I know a lot of kids on the team have experienced (a loved one who battled cancer). I'm pretty sure everybody has. So I just wanted to do that for them."
- Sophomore offensive lineman Trey Klock on why he shaved his head prior to camp.

Post-Practice Press Conference Video:

Ken S at AJC... competition for starting Left Offensive Tackle position... http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/competition-on-for-starting-left-tackle-job/nsGdw/

Fromayan the Sausage King vs Jake Stickler vs Andrew Marshall (getting a look from being Burden's backup center).

edit note: though this is not good.... Stickler has impressed teammates with better play in the preseason after appearing in only two games last season as a redshirt freshman, although Sewak said that he will miss time with an undisclosed injury.

#GTCAMP16 Report: Tuesday, Aug. 16

THE FLATS -- Georgia Tech returned to Rose Bowl Field and the John and Mary Brock Football Facility for practice number 13 of fall camp on Tuesday afternoon.

Practice Details:
The two and a half hour practice again saw the Yellow Jackets in full pads for the entire 24 periods.

Plays of the Day:
The offense’s play of the day came in the last play of the 11-on-11 full contact period when redshirt-sophomore quarterback Matthew Jordan threaded the needle to an open Qua Searcy in the right side of the end zone for a 25-yard touchdown catch.

The defense answered back just two periods later when defensive back Lamont Simmons made a great read on the quarterback and undercut the wide receivers route for an interception in the 7-on-7 drills.

Quote of the Day:
“It’s like everything – it’s good and bad. I think there are days that they do really well and days that they struggle like every position. It’s an ongoing process and you really probably aren’t going to know for sure until you see them play a few games.”
- Head coach Paul Johnson when asked about the secondary and trying to replace four starters.

Post-Practice Press Conference Video:

ATLANTA-- The Jackets wrapped up another spirited practice on the Flats on Tuesday with a strong performance from the offense in red zone drills. Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson spoke with the media after practice about the yin and yang nature of having your offense go against your defense in practice.

"I thought practice went well. It was up tempo and we did a lot of playing against each other and the guys got after each other," Johnson said. "Yesterday we did third downs and the defense was really good and today we did red zone and the offense was really good, it is like that day to day, that is the way football is."

Good ol' Paul Johnson. Here's Paul when asked about his wife serving him cereal for breakfast this morning...

"Well, she did some good things, but she's got a lot to work on. We started out strong with the Rice Krispies with lots of pop, but then they started to die down about halfway through. We'll get after it again tomorrow. You know, battling through this time of year and trying different kinds of cereal combinations and all. She'll be there. Dressed and ready to battle."

Riveting breaking news for hardcore D1A CFB fans...

...the Go Daddy Bowl game has now changed sponsorship and will be called the Dollar General Bowl.

Can't wait to see what really cool junk the Dollar General people hand out to the players. Maybe some of those Dollar General AA and AAA batteries or some 50 cent Christmas cards or even better perhaps some cleaning products like Comet cleanser and junk.

Awesome!!

#GTCAMP16 Report: Wednesday, Aug. 17

THE FLATS -- Georgia Tech football inched one step closer to the close of fall camp with a two-hour practice at Rose Bowl Field and the John and Mary Brock Football Facility.

Practice Details:
After holding perhaps its most grueling practice of the season to date on Tuesday, the Yellow Jackets scaled back a bit during their 22-period workout on Wednesday. Wednesday's practice was conducted in shells (helmets, shoulder pads and shorts) and featured a large emphasis on individual and group drills and limited 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 work.

Play of the Day:
Although live plays were few on Wednesday, A-back Nate Cottrell made an impressive catch during 7-on-7 drills. Running a route through traffic across the middle of the field, Cottrell hauled in a tough catch despite being surrounded by defenders.

Quote of the Day:
"Nothing. I'll have to do some research."
- Sophomore A-back Qua Searcy when asked what he knew about Ireland.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT