ADVERTISEMENT

(Non-GT)Atlanta Braves Baseball....new beginnings

One horrible deal was giving Jose Peraza away in the Olivera deal. He is showing versatility in Cincy. within four positions, 15 SB's, .300+(not even a full season)....

With a laundry list of interesting young arms on the farm, Coppolella singled out towering, 22-year-old righty Patrick Weigel, who he says has a “chance to be a frontline starter.” The 2015 seventh-round draft pick has posted 149 2/3 innings of 2.47 ERA ball at the High-A and (briefly) Double-A levels this year, with 9.1 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9, leading Coppy to name him the most improved minor league pitcher in the organization. The GM cited outfielder Dustin Peterson as the recipient of that honor on the position-player side after his .282/.343/.431 batting line and 12 home runs over 578 plate appearances at Double-A. Peterson came over as part of a group of increasingly interesting prospects in the Justin Upton trade, with lefty Max Fried also drawing praise from the organization’s baseball operations triggerman.

The Braves have acquired right-hander Joe Wieland from the Mariners, reports ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick (via Twitter). MLB.com’s Mark Bowman tweets that the Mariners will receive cash in return. The 26-year-old Wieland was outrighted off Seattle’s 40-man roster (for the second time this season) in late August, so he won’t immediately require a 40-man spot from the Braves.

Wieland once looked like a potential back-of-the-rotation option for the Padres, logging a 4.55 ERA across his first five MLB starts on the heels of some promising minor league work in 2011-12, but he underwent Tommy John surgery shortly thereafter and struggled with his recovery before being traded to the Dodgers as part of the Matt Kemp blockbuster. Seattle acquired him this past offseason in exchange for minor league infielder Erick Mejia, but Wieland’s struggles became more pronounced than ever early in his Seattle tenure, and the Mariners outrighted him to Triple-A in early May.

Wieland opened the season with a dreadful 17.31 ERA through his first 13 1/3 innings, prompting that initial outright, but he actually recovered after that unthinkably poor start. From May 4 through Aug. 6, Wieland posted a 3.67 ERA with an 83-to-23 K/BB ratio in 90 2/3 Triple-A innings before having his contract once again selected to the Major League roster. He made one start for the Mariners at the big league level, surrendering six runs in five innings, before being optioned back to Triple-A and eventually outrighted off the 40-man a second time.

Per Bowman’s tweet above, he’ll provide the Braves’ Triple-A roster with some additional rotation depth throughout the remainder of the postseason. While he could potentially serve as rotation depth for the big league team as well, Wieland has enough Major League service time to elect free agency at season’s end if he’s not on the 40-man roster. In 52 2/3 MLB innings, Wieland has a 6.32 ERA with 6.7 K/9, 3.2 BB/9 and a 40.6 percent ground-ball rate.

5:23pm: The Braves announced that they’ve acquired right-hander Josh Collmenter from the Cubs in exchange for cash. The longtime D-backs hurler joins fellow righty Joe Wieland as the second pitcher picked up by the Braves today in exchange for cash.

The 30-year-old Collmenter was the Diamondbacks’ Opening Day starter as recently as 2015 but lost his rotation spot after a poor start to that season. Collmenter thrived in a bullpen role for his final 52 innings in 2015 and remained in the ’pen to open the 2016 campaign. (The offseason additions of Zack Greinke and Shelby Miller and the return of Patrick Corbin from the disabled list all but closed the door on a return to the rotation.) In 22 1/3 innings of relief work this season, however, Collmenter labored to a 4.84 ERA and was ultimately released by the D-backs. He went on to ink a minor league pact with the Cubs and posted a 2.25 ERA across 16 Triple-A innings with his new organization, though his 9-to-8 K/BB ratio wasn’t especially encouraging.

that's what I thought... but a buddy was firm on asserting that he was 50. I'll be sure to let him know how bad he is at judging ages.

The Braves will enter the 2016-17 offseason with a pair of veteran outfielders — Nick Markakis and Matt Kemp — under contract through 2018 and 2019, respectively, as well as a pair of fleet-footed defensive stars — Ender Inciarte and Mallex Smith — that the team has hoped can become long-term pieces. And, in looking at the potential logjam, David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution writes that it’s “likely” that veteran Jeff Francoeur will be back in the fold with the Braves to once again fill a bench role.

The Braves will enter the 2016-17 offseason with a pair of veteran outfielders — Nick Markakis and Matt Kemp — under contract through 2018 and 2019, respectively, as well as a pair of fleet-footed defensive stars — Ender Inciarte and Mallex Smith — that the team has hoped can become long-term pieces. And, in looking at the potential logjam, David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution writes that it’s “likely” that veteran Jeff Francoeur will be back in the fold with the Braves to once again fill a bench role.

Francoeur? Really? Hmm. I like the way this OF has progressed. Kemp and Markakis are good bookends around Smith and Inciarte. However, both these corner OF are older, so there needs to be a 2-3 year solution there. Ruiz and Albies are good next-gen IF for this team, but I am also pretty good with Flowers, Freeman, Peterson, Garcia and Swanson in the field next spring. To me the issue now is largely with consistent MLB level pitching.

Rio Ruiz, glimpse of the future at 3B(need to find out)?
The Braves selected the contracts of utilityman Emilio Bonifacio and third baseman Rio Ruiz from Triple-A Gwinnett, the team announced. Catcher A.J. Pierzynski and righty Rob Whalen were shifted to the 60-day DL in corresponding moves to create roster space. Bonifacio was outrighted off Atlanta’s 40-man roster earlier this summer, and the veteran has appeared in just 15 games for the Braves in 2016. Ruiz, 22, is getting his first taste of the majors after hitting .271/.355/.400 with 10 homers and 24 doubles over 533 Triple-A plate appearances this season. MLB.com ranked Ruiz as the 15th-best prospect in the Braves’ system.

The Orioles are meeting with Matt Wieters’ agent Scott Boras this week to discuss a contract extension, though Rosenthal is doubtful Wieters will remain in Baltimore. The Nationals will have interest in signing Wieters if their own notable free agent catcher (Wilson Ramos) leaves, and Rosenthal also cites the Mets, White Sox and Braves as possible candidates to pursue Wieters. The Braves have perhaps a bit of a geographic advantage, as Wieters is from South Carolina and played college ball at Georgia Tech.

Braves have been playing .500 ball over the last month. A few weeks after acquiring Matt Kemp. Can't give him all the credit, but not a total coincidence either IMO.

Braves have been putting up a lot of runs of late. Nice OVER TOTAL play on daily basis. Was heading towards another before the rain ended game early yesterday.

If the Bravos can win 5 out of their last 14 games, they can avoid the distinction of a 100-loss season. Small celebration.

I think what we are seeing is a combination of things, a couple of them related to Kemp.

First, I believe we cannot understate the importance of having a dangerous bat hitting behind Freeman. His bat has surged since Kemp arrived.
Second, I also don't think we should underestimate the importance to the players the notion that management cares about this season. The acquisition of Kemp fed that notion, and the players are simply playing with renewed passion for him.
Third, the presence of Snitker has no doubt helped. He is a good coach and has the respect of the players. He is making good decisions.
Fourth, we are seeing some fruit of better players emerging from some of the trades we have made as these players grow up. Swanson, Inciarte, and Garcia are particularly noteworthy.

Braves have been playing .500 ball over the last month. A few weeks after acquiring Matt Kemp. Can't give him all the credit, but not a total coincidence either IMO.

Braves have been putting up a lot of runs of late. Nice OVER TOTAL play on daily basis. Was heading towards another before the rain ended game early yesterday.
Freeman has hit safely in 21 games going into yesterday's win. Inciarte had 87 hits in the second half of the season prior to Sunday, leading the Major Leagues. Kemp is bridging Freddie hitting third and Markakis batting fifth.

So, what you guys are saying is World Series champs next year or just NL champs?

Braves surging with 60 wins now, 2 straight over Mets......
While the Braves won’t formally say that Dansby Swanson is here to stay in the Majors, the praise that GM John Coppolella and interim manager Brian Snitker offered for Swanson when talking to MLB.com’s Danny Knobler certainly implies that there’s a belief that Swanson is done with the minor leagues for good. “This is a winning player, a special player,” said Coppolella of the 2015 No. 1 overall pick. Snitker explained that Swanson was promoted this season to prepare him for the 2017 campaign. “That’s the whole idea of why we wanted him here,” said Snitker, who also likened Swanson’s demeanor to that of John Smoltz and Tom Glavine early in their careers. “Now, going to Spring Training, he’s not going to be in awe of anything. He’s getting a jump-start on guys he’ll face next year.”

Braves are now 23-23 since Kemp's first game with them. Over that time, he's hitting .295 with 8 HR and 31 RBI. Pretty clear that a second power hitter - Kemp is now 2nd among starters in both SLG and OPS - works wonders.

In 28 fewer games since the AS break, compared to prior and roughly since Kemp has hit behind him, Freeman has hit .324 vs. .286, has 64 K's vs. 96, has 41 BB in both, has 15 HR's vs. 16. The presence of Kemp appears to have made a huge difference for him.

Here's hoping the Braves will find a way to keep Kemp next year. The OF of Kemp, Inciarte/Smith, and Markakis is one of the more productive OF's the Braves have fielded since the days of Andruw Jones and Brian Jordan in the late 90's.

I think they should give the managerial job to Snitker. Give him some additional tools in the offseason via free agency and see what he can do with a better deck. Just getting to 81-81 next season would be a job well done and earn another season in '18, IMO. That assumes he's been given the appropriate tools to actually be competitive.

If he doesn't get the job done, then fire him and bring in someone else. I think he's earned the opportunity. Of course, I admit I don't have much faith in the Braves' brass nearly as much as I did 10 years ago.

I went on record back in 2010 wishing the Braves would hire Buck Showalter to replace Cox. Instead, they were dead set on going with Gonzalez apparently. The O's beat Atlanta to the punch as Showalter took over a terrible O's team in August and they turned it around to the tune of a 34-23 record the rest of the way.

Since then, Showalter has won 2 AL Manager of the Year awards ('12 and '14), making postseason both years and winning the AL East in '14. The same AL East that contains the extremely rich BoSox and Yanks along with a normally-strong Blue Jays organization.

I can see some similarities in the job Snitker is doing right now with the Braves that could expand into better things in the future like when Showalter took over during the season.

Note, I also recall advocating Ned Yost and was ridiculed online. I'm getting the last laugh on that one after he's taken a small market team to the last 2 AL pennants and won a World Series last season. The Braves likely weren't going to get Yost anyway as he was already at KC in his first year during Cox's last year. But, that's not why I was ridiculed for advocating him. He was laughed off for not being a good manager and "not a step up to Fredi Gonzalez". LMAO!

Reactions: BornAJacket
Yost have been a good move, but I don't think the timing was good for him to move when the Braves were ready to ask Cox to leave.

What a snag over the fence tonight by Inciarte, to win the game 4-3. If he misses it, 6-4 Mets. Braves sweep them twice in N.Y. since June. If they win the last seven against the East, they finish .500 in their division. A minor miracle.

Braves are playing with fire in their belly. Haven't seen this since the mid-90's. If JC can get the pitching straightened out, this team can make some waves next season as it is.

However, I'm not at all sure that Kemp will be resigned. That would be a shame. Just not sure they want to tie up that much money on another long-term contract. At 31, he very likely wants a 3 year deal at least. I can still hope, though, that something can be worked out.

J.C. has stated they want Kemp, and in good physical shape. Kemp has expressed a desire to stay here, finish his career here and get in better shape during the offseason. Since acquired the run production has gone from 3 to 5 RPG.

J.C. has stated they want Kemp, and in good physical shape. Kemp has expressed a desire to stay here, finish his career here and get in better shape during the offseason. Since acquired the run production has gone from 3 to 5 RPG.

I'd like to see it. Also, if he can post up numbers like this year, his trade value will go back up. At 31, he's still got a lot of years left, so 3 years left on his contract is not a huge risk. For a guy with a negative WAR, he shouldn't be top $, but he certainly adds value in other ways. His current salary is listed at about $21M for 3 more years. The Braves will have all kinds of salary room next season, so maybe they keep him.

Braves win again (6-3). They continue to put up runs. An absolute money maker on the OVER total game after game after game. Thanks, Bravos!

Cha-ching!

Six game winning streak. King Kemp with his 32nd dinger. Freddie Free with a 26 game hitting streak, games on base streak of 32.

One more win guarantees fewer than 100 losses. Twins look like they have wrapped up the futility award, almost granting that first choice to them next June.

I have to give it to the Twin Cities. They saw the initiative and stuck to the plan. They played miserable baseball consistently all season and avoided getting "cute" by doing this winning streak stuff in late August and into September.

It's that kind of dedication that has them in great position. The Braves can't even get sucking the worst right. ;)

Brian Snitker, Terry Pendleton and Bo Porter are the Braves’ primary internal candidates to fill the managerial vacancy, while Heyman lists some potential outside candidates as Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo, former Padres manager Bud Black, former Twins manager Rob Gardenhire and Royals bench coach/former Mariners skipper Don Wakamatsu.

2:32pm: The deal is going through, with cash consideration to Atlanta, MLB.com’s Mark Bowman tweets.

1:48pm: The Giants are “very close” to striking a deal to acquire infielder Gordon Beckham from the Braves, Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports on Twitter. Presumably, the move would be made to help cover for Eduardo Nunez, who is dealing with a hamstring issue.

It’s obviously rare to see trades at this stage of the season, but hardly unprecedented. Beckham, 30, would not be eligible for the San Francisco postseason roster and is a free agent after the season. But the team evidently feels that it needs a boost to its infield mix over the final six games, as it clings to a Wild Card slot.

That's a good deal by the Braves. Get cash for a guy, who will be a FA at the end of a miserable season, and who obviously the Braves weren't really that interested in being a part of the roster next year.

Well done. Even if the "cash considerations" were 25 bucks, it will buy a case of Bud Light in most states not named Pennsylvania.

(edit note: plus, I'm always glad to see the Braves rid themselves of a butt sniffer)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT