ADVERTISEMENT

(Non-GT)Atlanta Braves Baseball....new beginnings

The Twins are now surging having lost their last 10 in a row. In 8 of those 10 losses, they've given up 8 runs or more. WHITE FLAG

This surge has cut the Braves lead to 1 1/2 games. The Braves and Twins are the only 2 clubs who have still yet to get to that 50-win mark.

Updated standings...

30. BRAVES 48-83 -
29. Twins 49-81 1.5
28. D'backs 55-76 7.0

So, it looks to be a 2-team race for the overall #1 pick in the draft as we head into the final month. The Braves have been consistently lousy all season and have earned their right to this achievement. Screw the Twins and their attempts to infringe on what's rightfully deserved by the Atlanta brass who worked hard to develop and execute this Plan of Ineptitude.

The Braves won 2 at Minnesota which gives the Twins some room for arguing that the Braves aren't as deserving as I have stated. But, the Twins won 2 at Atlanta which should shut them up.

The Twins head to Cleveland for 3 starting tonight. Can't see them winning any of them. But, good news on the way. Well, as good of news as a 49-81 team can ask for I guess. They have a 10-game homestand starting Thursday. Surely they'll win at least one of them. Maybe?

Come on, Braves. Don't F this up now.

Tim Tebow is trying out for baseball with most of the M.L. Clubs, including the Braves. He hasn't played NFL football since 2012. Does not have to wait for the Amateur Draft next June.

He may be pathetic, but I don't know why so many people are upset that he is attempting a life long dream. His professional football career never worked out, maybe his old baseball skills will come back. I doubt it, but at least he gets to try.

IMHO-
There seems to typically be that one can't miss talent. The one that everybody wants. Could be two or more, but having that choice between a cross-checker, your Director, and any other organization member-can give an advantage for the selection. True you end up looking at several, although they seem to fall in love with that one special star.

The Braves have released backstop George Kottaras, who’ll re-enter the open market not long after he left it to join the Atlanta organization. Kottaras, 33, has only been at Triple-A Gwinnett for about six weeks, but his .196/.328/.294 batting line over 61 plate appearances wasn’t enough to warrant a lengthier stint. The veteran has seen action in seven major league campaigns, posting a useful .215/.326/.411 overall slash in 858 trips to the plate, but he hasn’t seen substantial time at the game’s highest level since 2013.

MLB.com’s Mark Bowman fielded some relevant questions from Braves fans. Among other items, he notes that the club now seems somewhat unlikely to promote infielder Ozzie Albies to join prospective double-play mate Dansby Swanson in the majors this year — even though he still has a chance at playing a major role in 2017. Speaking of next year, Bowman says it wouldn’t be surprising at this point if interim skipper Brian Snitker is retained, though the team has several other internal and external candidates it may wish to consider.
The Braves’ interest in bringing back Brian McCann will likely be revived in the offseason, Bowman further writes. He no longer looks like a terribly plausible trade candidate right now, and Atlanta may wish to explore the free agent market first. Improving the situation behind the plate and bolstering the rotation remain the club’s two major offseason goals, he adds. The team may also look at a third baseman, he suggests.

The Twins, having lost now 12 in a row, have now caught the Braves - both at 49-83.

"50 wins, 50 losses for everybody and what you do with the other 62 games" is the old saying. Here we are on the eve of the final month of the season and the Braves & Twins need a win tonight to get to 50.

There are 30 games left including tonight. The Braves must do better than 13-17 to avoid a 100-loss season for the first time since 1988 (106 losses) and what could be only the 3rd time in franchise history since moving to Atlanta.

If the Braves won all of the remaining 30 games, we would finish 79-83. IOW, the Braves have already clinched a third-straight losing season.

Twins are tanking while the Braves players seem to be playing for Snitker. I think they really want him to continue as manager.

Sweeping the Padres, the Braves are "catching some holiness"....

The Braves and Yankees have tabled any talks pertaining to catcher Brian McCann until the offseason, which may not bode well for New York’s chances to trade him to Atlanta. Heyman writes that the Braves have interest in Matt Wieters, Jason Castro and top free agent catcher Wilson Ramos, whom they’d love to snatch away from the division-rival Nationals. Atlanta is willing to pay half of the remaining $34MM McCann is owed from 2017-18. They’re also looking to add a rotation piece for 2017 and beyond, if not two, as a number of their top-ranked minor league arms are still a ways off from the Majors (which, of course, could make them appealing trade chips in an offseason where the free agent market is devoid of talented starters).

GTJT looks like my $100 bet is not so safe still need them to lose 17 more games.

Didn't I say back in April the Braves would get on a winning streak in September and F things up?

;)

Going for the sweep on Sunday....now at 53 wins, w/60 in sight.

The Braves have outrighted infielder Kyle Kubitza and righties Wilfredo Boscan and Madison Younginer, according to MLB.com’s transactions page. The moves clear three spots on the Braves’ 40-man roster.

GTJT looks like my $100 bet is not so safe still need them to lose 17 more games.

We finish out with a tough stretch. Still have 6 against the Nats, 6 against the Mets, and 4 against the Marlins, plus 3 against the Tigers. That's 19 losable games, even if we sweep the series against the Phils.

SEPT. 6: Braves general manager John Coppolella confirmed to MLB.com’s Mark Bowman that his team is indeed interested in Tebow.“There’s no risk,” said the GM. “If it doesn’t work, we’ll be honest with Tim early, and we can move on. If it does work, it’s great for the Braves and it’s great for baseball.”

Coppolella said that his interest is based on feedback from two of the team’s top scouts, Brian Bridges and Roy Clark, who attended Tebow’s workout. “They want to see Tim more in the spirit of ’Leave no stone unturned,’ and they liked what they saw,” said Coppolella. “They thought he has the upside potential to help us. That is why we’re exploring the possibility of bringing him into the Braves organization.”

Braves prospect Ozzie Albies is going to miss the rest of the season after suffering a still-unspecified elbow injury, MLB.com’s Mark Bowman reports. It isn’t believed he suffered any ligament damage from the fouled-off pitch that struck him, but a fracture is still possible. Of greater concern, the 19-year-old likely won’t be able to play in the Arizona Fall League, which had perhaps been one of his final hurdles before reaching the majors. It’s still plenty possible that he’ll play a big role on the varsity squad next year, of course, but the presumption may now be that Albies will open the 2017 season in the minors.

Braves infield prospect Ozzie Albies suffered a fractured olecranon in his right elbow on Wednesday of this week, vice chairman John Schuerholz told the Braves Banter show on BlogTalk Radio (Twitter link). The injury will cost him not only the remainder of the minor league postseason but also the 2016 Arizona Fall League as well, depriving him of some additional development time. David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution tweets that Albies will require surgery to repair the elbow.

Albies, 19, is currently a consensus top 25 prospect, as he rates 14th, 15th, 17th and 21st on the respective midseason prospect rankings of MLB.com, ESPN’s Keith Law, Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus. Long developed as a shortstop prospect, the plan for Albies now appears to be for him to play second base in the Majors, where he’ll team up with Dansby Swanson to form what the Braves hope will be one of the top double-play combos in the league for years to come. Albies tore through Double-A pitching as this season, hitting an incredible .321/.391/.467 with 33 extra-base hits (22 doubles, seven triples, four homers) and 21 steals across two stints. A promotion to Triple-A proved more challenging, as Albies slashed .248/.307/.351 through 247 plate appearances before being moved back down, though it should be noted that he was the youngest player in the Double-A Southern League and the Triple-A International League.

The recovery time on the olecranon fracture wasn’t specified, though recent examples of such fractures, including Gavin Floyd and A.J. Pollock, were able to return in late August (Pollock) and September (Floyd) after fracturing their olecranon bones in March (Floyd) and early April (Pollock). That suggests that in an ideal scenario, Albies could be back up to speed come Spring Training next season, where he could well compete with Jace Peterson for the second base job. Of course, individual players recover at different paces, and one can never simply assume that a player’s rehab process will be setback-free, so there’s no firm guarantee that Albies will be ready when Spring Training kicks off.

MLB.com’s Mark Bowman notes that Albies suffered the injury while taking a swing during a Double-A playoff game (brief video included in that link) and has been examined at Dr. James’ Andrews clinic. The team will wait until its own medical staff can make a full evaluation of Albies before issuing a formal announcement and any further details on Albies’ injury.

10:52pm: In yet another twist, Pierzynski has left the door for retirement open, telling O’Brien, “I don’t know what’s going to happen. I don’t know what tomorrow’s going to bring, but if that’s it, then it was fun” (Twitter link).

10:37pm: False alarm: Pierzynski is not retiring, reports O’Brien (Twitter link). Starter Julio Teheran handed out cigars to celebrate the recent birth of his son.

10:03pm: Braves catcher A.J. Pierzynski has decided to retire, according to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Twitter link). Pierzynski was hugging teammates and handing out cigars after the Braves’ win over the Mets on Saturday, per O’Brien.

The polarizing Pierzynski, 39, played for seven teams in parts of 18 major league campaigns. His final season didn’t go well, as he batted just .219/.243/.304 in 259 plate appearances, but he was a quality contributor as recently as last year. In his first of two years in Atlanta, Pierzynski slashed .300/.339/.430 over 436 trips to the plate, leading the club to re-sign him last offseason to a one-year deal with a $3MM base salary.

The Braves released right-hander Wilfredo Boscan. The 26-year-old made his Major League debut this season, tossing 15 1/3 innings over six games (one of them a start) for the Pirates and posting a 6.46 ERA. Atlanta claimed Boscan off waivers in August and then outrighted him off the 40-man roster to make room for September call-ups.
The Braves have selected the contract of catcher Blake Lalli from Triple-A, the team announced. Lalli will replace A.J. Pierzynski, who hit the 15-day disabled list earlier today. Lalli, who has 22 big league games under his belt, will be looking for his first taste of MLB action since 2013 when he was a member of the Brewers. He has since played in the Diamondbacks and Braves farm systems.

While A.J. Pierzynski’s career has been polarizing, to put it mildly, his presence on the Braves drew positive reviews from members of the coaching staff and teammates, writes David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “I loved every moment that he was here, and I love A.J.,” said first base coach Eddie Perez. “You probably won’t hear that from many people, but I did. And you know why? Because he goes between the two lines and gives you everything to win games.” Right-hander Matt Wisler acknowledged that Pierzynski was hard on the young pitching staff at times, but feels that it was to their benefit. “I don’t mind it, I think if somebody gets on me like that sometimes I kind of need it,” Wisler explained. “Especially for me, because I kind of over-think, and when he gets on you I kind of forget about it and just go back to making pitches. He helped me in that regard.”
Mike Foltynewicz escaped an injury scare relatively unscathed last night, as MLB.com’s Pat James writes. The young Braves righty was struck in the leg by a line drive off the bat of Marcell Ozuna (which Statcast measured at 110 mph), but has only a contusion and some swelling to show following the ill-placed line drive. Foltynewicz walked off the field under his own power but was eventually forced to utilize crutches to move around the clubhouse as the swelling in his leg intensified. He’s day to day for the time being.

The entire Braves starting lineup is now in the top 9 hitters (BA) on the team, with both C's in that group. Not sure when is the last time I saw that. All starters are .260 or above (Peterson at .260), and the rest are above .270. If that can continue, and some of the pitching settles in over the next year, the team can make noise next year.

I like the team they have out there now:
C - Flowers/Recker
1B - Freeman
2B - Peterson
3B - Garcia
SS - Swanson
LF - Kemp
CF - Inciarte
RF - Markakis

That's not a half bad lineup. Flowers/Recker, Freeman, Swanson, Kemp and Markakis should all be set. Garcia is doing a very credible job at 3B and hitting well. Peterson fields well at 2B, and adds a credible BA, and Inciarte is playing and hitting well in CF. Add Ruiz and M Smith to that group and you have a good base to have a somewhat productive year in 2017. IF... Copp doesn't screw it up.

Ender Inciarte has been on fire after that terrible start(which was not typical of his previous numbers). He has been torrid, well over .300 with two separate long hitting streaks, to pull over .290 now.

Coppolella predicts that the Braves will be quite active in free agency, saying that the team has “more money to spend than in the past 10 years.” Atlanta has never been one of the biggest spenders around, so it’s not exactly a lofty bar, but with only $50MM on the books for 2017 (before arbitration raises) there ought to be some added freedom this winter. Coppy adds that he’s interested in making “major [free agent] signings” to bring in “impactful” players, with a focus (whether in free agency or trade) on adding “at least two” starters and bolstering the catching unit. The latter area, at least, is one of some depth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT