ADVERTISEMENT

(Non-GT)Atlanta Braves Baseball....new beginnings

1 year contract with an option for 2018. Ron Washington has been hired as third base coach. Bo Porter will be a special asst. to Coppy.

In addition to those moves, the Braves exercised their 2017 options on bench coach Terry Pendelton, first base coach Eddie Perez, hitting coach Kevin Seitzer and assistant hitting coach Jose Castro, adding that bullpen coach Marty Reed will return to the team in 2017 as well. Pitching coach Roger McDowell is the only 2016 coach that won’t remain with the club, as was reported last week, and he’ll be replaced internally by minor league pitching coordinator (and former Rays pitching coach) Chuck Hernandez.

Seems good to me, too!
If they could have Bud Black as the pitching coach, that would have been perfect. Although, with Washington on staff, a 2018 option is there with a man who knows the roster already.

5th overall selection in the 2017 Amateur Draft.

Guaranteed Contracts

Freddie Freeman, 1B: $106.5MM through 2021
Matt Kemp, OF: $54.5MM through 2019 (Dodgers, via Padres, paying $10.5MM of remaining obligations)
Julio Teheran, SP: $26.3MM through 2019 ($12MM club option for 2020; $1MM buyout)
Nick Markakis, OF: $21MM through 2018
Tyler Flowers, C: $3.3MM through 2017 ($4MM club option for 2018; $300K buyout)
Jim Johnson, RP: Unreported guarantee through 2018

Arbitration Eligible Players (service time in parentheses; link to MLBTR projections)

Ender Inciarte, OF (2.157): $2.8MM
Josh Collmenter, SP/RP (5.110): $2.2MM
Arodys Vizcaino, RP (3.168): $1.6MM
Chris Withrow, RP (3.111): $1.2MM
Ian Krol, RP (2.147): $1.0MM
Anthony Recker, C (4.000): $1.0MM
Paco Rodriguez, RP (3.120): $900K

Free Agents

Emilio Bonifacio, Eric O’Flaherty, A.J. Pierzynski

David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution chatted with Braves GM John Coppolella about the hiring of Ron Washington as his new third base coach and explained that the former Rangers skipper was initially interviewing only for the managerial vacancy. However, Washington impressed the Braves, and Coppolella and other Braves decisionmakers reached out to the A’s, where Washington served as a third base coach in 2016, about possibly hiring him. “It just happened where, as we spoke to Oakland, credit to (Athletics executive vice president of baseball operations) Billy Beane and to (general manager) David Forst — these guys told us, ‘We just want Wash to be happy, we just want good things for Wash,'” said Coppolella. “When he wanted to go for this opportunity so he could be closer to home, so he could get on a new adventure, those guys (Beane and Forst) didn’t stand in his way. Those are two high-character guys who really did a selfless thing all the way around with Ron Washington.”
Meanwhile, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Athletics did make an attempt to retain Washington by offering to match the Braves’ offer, but Washington’s ultimate preference was to be closer to his family in New Orleans, so the A’s respectfully allowed him to move to another team. Beane offered high praise for his departing coach, issuing a statement in which he said that Washington’s “professionalism and enthusiasm have left an indelible mark on everyone in our organization.”

Clearing some space.....
The Braves have outrighted reliever Joel De La Cruz, catcher Blake Lalli and first baseman Brandon Snyder off their 40-man roster, according to Baseball America’s Matt Eddy. Each of the three can and very likely will become minor league free agents this offseason.

FWIW, while on a bit of momentum coming off a good ending to the season, here's the 2017 schedule to whet the whistle... http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/schedule/sortable.jsp?c_id=atl &year=2017

Some key observations...
-Open with 8 games on the road - at Mets, Bucs and Fish
-New stadium opener vs Padres, Apr. 14 Friday (also that's Easter weekend)
-May 29, Memorial Day, on west coast trip (at Angels)
-June 18, Sunday, Father's Day at home vs Fish
-July 4, Tuesday, home vs Astros
-Labor Day weekend at Cubs (Fri-Sun), but home vs Rangers on Labor Day Monday (when we face the Vols at AUFC Stadium)
-Season ends with 7-game road stand...well, official ending that is...still can't see the Braves being in any division or WC races next year, but a step closer to 81-81 (.500) would be a nice goal to achieve

Former Astros skipper and current Braves special assistant Bo Porter is receiving at least some consideration for the Rockies’ open managerial position, according to MLB.com’s Thomas Harding. The report identifies a number of other possibilities on a growing list of names who appear to be on Colorado’s radar.

10-16-2016: Jim Johnson’s contract is worth $10MM in guaranteed money, The Associated Press reports. He will be paid $4.5MM in 2017 and 2018, with a $1MM signing bonus. The righty can earn up to $1.75MM in performance bonuses each season based on games finished. Johnson earns $250K for finishing 30 games, and then another $250K for hitting each of the 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 and 60-game thresholds.

The Braves re-signed catcher Blake Lalli after recently outrighting him. Lalli, 33, received a brief MLB cameo for the first time in quite a while, but hasn’t spend much time in the majors and figures to remain in the upper minors next year. He carries a .265/.316/.376 batting line over parts of five seasons at Triple-A.
Meanwhile, the Braves outrighted 26-year-old lefties Matt Marksberry and Andrew McKirahan as well as shortstop Daniel Castro. Marksberry has made 35 appearances over the last two seasons, posting a composite 5.06 ERA, though he was effective in 42 2/2 frames in the upper minors last year, carrying a 2.32 ERA with 8.2 K/9 against 3.6 BB/9. McKirahan spent the year recovering from Tommy John surgery. As for Castro, 23, the last two years have come with a fair amount of major league opportunities, but his bat hasn’t been up to the task. Over 239 total plate appearances, he has hit just .217/.250/.265.

The Braves have signed lefty Sam Freeman to a minor league pact. Presumably, he’ll have at least some reasonable shot at pushing for a spot in the organization’s bullpen pecking order — if not even a big league job out of camp. The 29-year-old was rather productive from 2013 through 2015, posting a 2.74 ERA over 88 2/3 total innings, though organizations have never full trusted him with a locked-down MLB relief role. And last year was a tough one for Freeman, who not only scuffled at Triple-A (5.20 ERA with 7.5 K/9 and 4.6 BB/9 over 55 1/3 innings) but was hit hard in a brief stint at the major league level with the Brewers.

We’ve long heard chatter about a possible reunion between Yankees catcher Brian McCann and the Braves, and MLB.com’s Mark Bowman provides some hints about where things stand. New York has asked for righty Mike Foltynewicz or center fielder Ender Inciarte to part with the veteran receiver, which certainly sounds like a non-starter from here. An arrangement could yet make sense, Bowman writes, but Atlanta won’t include either of those two players.

An experienced catcher like McCann would be welcome back to the Braves. Having said that, I support them not giving up much for him and certainly they should not sign him to a ridiculous contract if that is even up for discussion (read: I don't know his contract situation and too lazy to look it up). He'll be 33 when spring training breaks in February. While he did play in 130 or more games for the Yanks each of the last 3 seasons, his BA has dropped down to the .230-ish range since leaving Atlanta. His slugging and OBP are still fairly consistent with his last few years in ATL though.

Perhaps he can spot start or split duties starting 75-90 games and be more effective. Maybe he is a stop gap for a season? Don't get me wrong. Would love to see BM back with the Braves. His influence and experience with the pitchers, catchers and other players for that matter in the clubhouse brings a lot of value. But, I hope the Braves continue to be stingy in terms of what we give up for him. There are likely other options. And, I pray we have some attractive prospects coming up to give playing time to for the future.

One more thing... I have a Braves tee shirt given to me for Christmas a few years ago with McCann's name and number on the back. Will be nice to wear it again knowing he's a Brave and not a Yankme. :D

We’ve long heard chatter about a possible reunion between Yankees catcher Brian McCann and the Braves, and MLB.com’s Mark Bowman provides some hints about where things stand. New York has asked for righty Mike Foltynewicz or center fielder Ender Inciarte to part with the veteran receiver, which certainly sounds like a non-starter from here. An arrangement could yet make sense, Bowman writes, but Atlanta won’t include either of those two players.

The Braves have worked with Folty for 2 years now to get him where they want him. It is apparent that they see a lot of future W's in him. Given the paucity of major league ready P's on this team, I'd be mildly shocked if they traded him for a 33 year old C who's hitting far worse than either C on the roster now.

I would say the same about Inciarte, but his season was a tale of two halves, so which is it? He does have a lifetime .292 BA over 3 years. Then there is Mallex Smith, too. Now that Inciarte has some good value, they may yet trade him for a guy like McCann, especially if it gets the Yanks to eat some salary.

My main reservation is that Inciarte is the leadoff guy the Braves have missed since Raphel Furcal. I know the time for cynicism is waning, but this just makes me suspect they'll do something to mess it up.

The Braves have re-signed right-hander Joel De La Cruz to a minor league contract after outrighting him last week, according to Baseball America’s Matt Eddy.

De La Cruz, 27, signed a minor league deal with Atlanta last offseason after spending the bulk of his professional career in the Yankees’ minor league ranks. The 2016 season saw De La Cruz make his big league debut, and the Dominican-born righty wound up pitching a fairly substantial 62 2/3 innings for the Braves. Splitting time between the rotation and the bullpen, De La Cruz posted a 4.88 ERA with 5.3 K/9, 3.2 BB/9 and a 43.1 percent ground-ball rate. Per PITCHf/x data, Cruz averaged 91.3 mph on a sinker that he threw at a 51 percent clip, and he also utilized both a slider and a changeup.

Will put this here instead of the potpourri thread since related more to MLB and not Tech...

...I like the Cubs in 6 games. How about you lesbians?

I would just like tonight's opening game to total less than 6.5 runs if possible for starters. ;)

I admit I haven't really followed the WS in several years, but I will watch a good bit of this one because of the two teams in it. Rooting for the Cubs because I'm a National League first kind of guy. But, won't be upset at all if the Indians take it. Just glad to there are no Yankmes or Mets or Red Sox or Nationals or Dodgers or Giants.

In my best SNL parody of McGyver which they called McGruber...

...KLUUUUUBEEEEEER!

He's been money for me (literally) all season. He did it again. When the Injuns scored 2 in the first, my under 6.5 play was in jeopardy. But, I knew Kluber was capable of shutting down the Cubs and he did just that. Terrific pitching performance. Good night. Good game. Looking forward to game 2 tonight.

C.K. had those two pitches working like mad. Game is an hour earlier than scheduled(projected: weather induced)tonight. Perez an unlikely HR, isn't that the way it goes in the Fall Classic. Hello, Mark Lemke.

A ray of hope to pull from this year's World Series participants...

...2012, Cleveland Indians finished 68-94. They picked up 24 games the following season, going 92-70 in 2013. Just a season ago, they went 81-80 and finished 13.5 games back in the AL Central.

...2013, Chicago Cubs finished 66-96. The year before that, they finished 61-101. In 2014, they finished with a losing record as well, 73-89. Since then though, they've gone 97-65 and this year 103-58.

If the Braves could get closer to .500 next year, that could set the stage for a legit pennant chase in 2018.

Chicagoland hospitals on call for suicide-watch Cubs fans right now. Wow.

Injuns kicking butt in Chi-town. Could wrap it up in Game 5 tomorrow night if they hang on to this now-big lead.

According to Baseball America’s Matt Eddy, veteran outfielder Matt Tuiasosopo has re-upped with the Braves on a minor league contract. The 30-year-old Tuiasosopo made a brief appearance on Atlanta’s big league roster this season and picked up three hitless plate appearances before being designated for assignment and landing back in Triple-A Gwinnett. In 248 plate appearances with Gwinnett this season, Tuiasosopo batted .246/.351/.483 with 11 homers and 17 doubles. That padded his career .247/.353/.418 line at the Triple-A level, which he’s amassed over parts of nine seasons. However, the former third-rounder (Mariners, 2004) has managed just a .206/.288/.353 line in 404 PAs across parts of five Major League seasons.

Last night was weird. You'd think the pressure would be on the Cubs down 3-2. Instead, they looked loose as a goose and the Injuns made boneheaded plays, beginning in the first inning giving the Cubs that much-needed 3-0 early lead. Especially at home, you'd think the Injuns would play more confidently.

The pressure is now on both teams, but especially Cleveland. They are staring blowing a 3-1 lead right in the face. Cubs may feel like they are playing with house money at this point.

Should be a great ending to what has been a fun WS.

Gotta hand it to the Cubs. They have won enough to force game 7. It'll be a good game I am sure.

Cubs fans will be unbearable next time they are in Atlanta if they win this next game.

Unbearable Cub fans will be making Braves fans envious, for the present time being.

Mariners claimed Ryan Webber off waivers from those same Braves....and....
The Braves have hired Orioles bullpen coach Dom Chiti as their new senior director of pitching, according to MASNsports.com’s Roch Kubatko (Twitter links). Atlanta is also adding former O’s pitching coach Dave Wallace, per Kubatko. Wallace will function as a roving instructor throughout the team’s minor league system. Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun writes that Wallace signed a two-year deal with the Braves and adds that the loss is notable for the Orioles organization, pointing out that Zach Britton credits the duo with his development into the dominant closer he has become.

Tip of the cap to the Injuns for their comeback. My favorite moment of the game was when Cubs Catcher (and former Brave), David Ross, hit that solo dinger to push the Cubs' lead back up to 6-3 I think it was. This was after a disastrous inning in the field where he made a throwing error and then lost his footing on a wild pitch leading to 2 Cleveland runs. I felt really bad for him and then he made up for it a bit with the long homer to dead center. I always liked him as a Brave. Very happy for him (and Heyward) as WS Champs.

Up in heaven, Harry Caray is drunk as a skunk. Then again, he has been for years. Drinking Budweiser.

:D

I think Jay Hey was 0-3, and called a players meeting during the rain delay. Takes some leadership ability when you are hitting .150 throughout the playoffs.

The Braves have outrighted right-handers Casey Kelly and Brandon Cunniff to Triple-A Gwinnett. Kelly placed anywhere from 24th to 76th in Baseball America’s prospect rankings from 2009-12, but injury- and performance-related issues have beset the former Red Sox and Padres farmhand. Notably, Kelly went from Boston to San Diego in 2010 in a deal involving then-Padres prospect and current Cubs superstar Anthony Rizzo. That trade brought first baseman Adrian Gonzalez to the Red Sox. The Padres then sent Kelly to the Braves last offseason for catcher/pitcher/outfielder Christian Bethancourt. The 27-year-old Kelly subsequently amassed 21 2/3 frames of 5.82 ERA pitching with matching strikeout and walk rates (2.91 over nine innings) this season. Cunniff has logged 52 big league innings – all with the Braves since last season – and recorded a 4.50 ERA, 9.17 K/9 and 5.37 BB/9.

The Braves have signed righty Danny Reynolds to a minor league deal, tweets MLBTR’s Zach Links. Reynolds struggled with Double-A Arkansas in the Angels’ system in 2016, with a 5.61 ERA, 8.3 K/9 and 6.4 BB/9 over 33 2/3 innings. The 25-year-old was released in June and wound up in independent ball. Most reports offer praise for his velocity, however, and his stuff was interesting enough that he went from the Angels to the Dodgers to the Astros and back to the Angels in a four-month series of waiver claims starting last December, so the Braves might hope he provides a bit of upside than the typical organizational player.

Seems like yesterday Coppy was listening to a Markakis offer. Personally, glad he's still here....

In each of the last two years, the Braves completed a major trade (dealing Jason Heyward in 2014 and Andrelton Simmons in 2015) soon after the completion of the GM Meetings. General manager John Coppolella tells David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the club is prepared to again move quickly if another interesting offer comes along, saying that “we’re not going to wait around for any type of artificial date. I couldn’t care less about (waiting for) the Winter Meetings or whenever. The best time to make a trade is when a good trade is offered to you. We’re always trying to find ways to get better.” Here’s more from Coppolella…

Starting pitching is clearly the Braves’ biggest winter need, though Atlanta is only looking for starters on short-term deals so none of the team’s young starters are blocked. Not that this winter’s free agent market has a true proven ace anyway, but even if it did, Coppolella noted that this type of pitcher wouldn’t be a target. “You don’t buy No. 1 starters, you grow them. You draft them, you develop them,” the GM said. “For us, it’s not efficient for us to go out and buy a No. 1 starter. Unless something drastically changes, you won’t see us going after a No. 1 starter.”
Barring an offer of “something crazy” from another team, Coppolella isn’t looking to deal outfielders Ender Inciarte, Matt Kemp or Nick Markakis. Not only are the Braves “not out there shopping” these players, “in fact we’re not really even listening on guys. Because these are players that we really like and we feel like they fit us well on the field as well as off the field.”
While Atlanta could pursue a catching upgrade in free agency, Coppolella reiterated that the team would be satisfied with its current Tyler Flowers/Anthony Recker tandem for 2017. The Braves could also look to trade for a catcher, though a deal to bring Brian McCann back to Atlanta seems unlikely. Earlier reports claimed the Yankees asked for either Inciarte or Mike Foltynewicz as part of a trade for McCann, and O’Brien reports that, in fact, New York wanted both Inciarte and Foltynewicz. Needless to say, talks didn’t get very far.

Great 2015...however only .219 with 2 HR's in 259 PA in 2016-
Veteran catcher A.J. Pierzynski will pursue a free agent deal this winter, according to SB Nation’s Chris Cotillo (Twitter links). There had been rumblings that the 39-year-old would hang up his spikes at season’s end.

7:12pm: Collmenter will receive a $1.2MM base salary in 2017 and can earn up to $1.2MM via incentives as well, tweets O’Brien.

6:18pm: The Braves have agreed to a one-year deal to avoid arbitration with right-hander Josh Collmenter, reports David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (via Twitter). Atlanta acquired Collmenter in a rare September trade, and the longtime D-backs hurler spent enough time in the minor leagues this year to delay his path to free agency by a season. He’ll remain under control with the Braves into 2017 now and can serve as either a rotation piece or a swingman should the Braves add multiple arms to their rotation mix this winter, as general manager John Coppolella has stated as a goal. Details of Collmenter’s contract aren’t yet known, but MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz projected a $2.2MM salary for the Sparta Group client.

[Related: Atlanta Braves Depth Chart]

The 30-year-old Collmenter (31 in February) found himself released by the D-backs earlier this summer after recording a 4.84 ERA in 22 1/3 innings. Arizona’s 2015 Opening Day starter latched on with the Cubs on a minors pact and pitched well in four Triple-A starts for Chicago before Atlanta picked him up in a trade that didn’t grab many headlines but could yield benefits in the season to come. Collmenter went on to three starts for Atlanta in the season’s final weeks, posting a 2.37 ERA with 7.6 K/9, 2.4 BB/9 and a 42.3 percent ground-ball rate in 19 innings. In his career, Collmenter has a 3.50 earned run average, 6.3 K/9, 2.2 BB/9 and a 36.1 percent grounder rate in 678 1/3 innings — all coming with Arizona and Atlanta.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT