ADVERTISEMENT

NFL thread

DJ White got an interception in the endzone late in the Chiefs win over the Jets disallowing a TD. Check out the boxscore of that game. You'll find that the ushers, concessions people and local security personnel all intercepted Ryan Fitzpatrick today.

I usually wait for October to get here before I start playing the NFL spreads and totals. Not only am I finishing up a focus on the bases, but I like seeing what these teams are about over the first 3 or so weeks.

I'm starting up Thursday night by laying 6.5 (bought 1/2 pt down and gave up from -110 to -120) with the home-standing Bengals over the Fish (sorry, Texwood). Miami really should be 0-3. Cleveland missed a very make-able FG at the buzzer that should have won it for them at Miami's unveiling of their renovated stadium this past Sunday. Miami was dealt no favors by the schedule-maker having to head all the way out to Seattle and then to New England in Weeks 1 and 2. That's tough for anybody. But, being beaten by the Browns at home before squeaking it out in OT? That's a red flag.

Bengals are coming off 2 straight losses to strong clubs - PIT & DEN. Miami is on the short week on the road. Burfect will return to the Bengals it appears. Eifert might too, though not sure how much he'll play or whether he'll be effective even if he does. He's a favorite target of Dalton inside the red zone if he does. I expect an angry Bengals team at home to have their way with a turnover prone Fish team whose running game is suspect at best and perhaps non-existent.

More coming up this weekend for any who'd like to share thoughts on the oblong leather ball played by professional teams not known as Alabama or Clemson.

I was planning to post on this thread that the Bengals -7 (-6.5 even better) looks like a good play against MY Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins have a real problem at the linebacker position. The gap integrity of that defense is terrible and it's all on the LB's. The D-line is playing great football but the backers seem to be playing in hero-mode and regularly abandoning their gap. It has been incredibly frustrating to watch. The Dolphins D is three disciplined linebackers away from being really good. Vance Joseph is not impressing in his first stint as a DC.

A note to Miami's D-Coord....

...you might want to consider covering AJ Green tonight.

Geez.

Hate to admit this, but I played against MY Miami Dolphins tonight - with extreme confidence. Here's to hoping that the same situation doesn't happen with Tech football....

3 plays for Sunday...

• Colts-Jags over 48.5 at London. Neither of these teams play much defense. Both will throw a ton and make it an exciting game for the British NFL fans as this game normally has wide open games.
  • Texans -4.5 over Titans. HOU has had an extra 3 days to prep coming off a terrible performance at New England. I think they bounce back at home against a division rival they've had their way with for the most part at home.
  • Browns-Redskins over 46. Like the game at Wembley Sunday morning, neither team plays much defense. The Skins are ready to bust out offensively. They got into the red zone and settled for 5 FG's at the Giants in the important win last Sunday to avoid going 0-3 to start the season. I think *MY* guys will convert to TD's this week. Going back to last season, Skins games have played over the total in 8 straight. I see more of the same this week.

Interesting that Matt Ryan is actually BION available in my FFL on waivers. He's ranked the #1 QB in fantasy FB thru the first 4 weeks. Most felt he wouldn't deliver against the perceived strong D of the Panthers, who are missing corner Josh Norman more than they will admit. He and Julio Jones of course blew up the Panthers this past week. So, certainly shouldn't Ryan be picked up this week? I'm sure he will be.

But, here comes 2 road games at Denver and Seattle. We've seen the Falcons just a season ago start out hot going 5-0 only to lose 7 of their next 8. The NFC South defensively is horrible. Just horrible. Of the worst scoring defenses in points allowed per game, the NFC South has the #32 (Saints), #31 (Bucs), #29 (Falcons) and #28 (Panthers) teams. That's 4 of the worst 5 in the NFL...only the Colts at #30 are mixed in that group of bottom 5.

Paint me skeptical, but should be interesting to see how the Falcons do in this division that plays no defense. It helps I guess when you have the #1 (Falcons), #3 (Saints), and #5 (Panthers) scoring offenses in the NFL. For a bettor like me, I guess I'll be playing the OVER in any NFC West division games for certain.

Funny that it once again is an example of a head coach (Quinn from Seattle) brought in with a big defensive reputation whose defenses are suspect but has a powerhouse offense. It reminds me that O'Leary was a defensive coach with a good reputation, yet his defenses were nothing special - and a couple of seasons downright bad - and his offenses (under Fridge) were the backbone of the program. The flip side was Chan Gailey was known as an offensive guy, yet his offenses were consistently mediocre (even with a guy named Calvin Johnson) and his Jon Tenuta-led defenses were consistently good and at times dominant.

Weird.

edit note: if the Falcons can put up some points in their next 2 games in the Mountain and Pacific time zones, then I'll go from skeptical to pushing forward the Falcons as legit Super Bowl contenders...and yes, I said "Super Bowl" contenders...if you can score big on those 2 defenses, you can (and probably will) beat anybody in the NFL

Last edited:
How 'bout those Falcons? Woohoo! Happy for you guys. 4 straight wins. Impressive.

SWMBO and I are tickled with *MY* Redskins winning our 3rd straight as well, of course.

Nice!

How 'bout those Falcons? Woohoo! Happy for you guys. 4 straight wins. Impressive.

SWMBO and I are tickled with *MY* Redskins winning our 3rd straight as well, of course.

Nice!
Happy but after last year I'll wait a little before I buy Super Bowl tickets :).
Still don't like Blank.

Falcons just beat the two teams in last years super bowl. In just 2 weeks they still have issues, but are winning. that's the best you can get at this point.

For the first time this season, MY hapless Miami Dolphins will have their starting offensive line on the field. The depth of that unit is so bad that two of the backups that started last week were cut. Of course, the two bullies that we had to cut for PR reasons a few years ago (John Jerry and Richie Incognito) are starters elsewhere. Wonderful.

Congrats, mate. Fish played really well today. Steelers are schizo. They are either really good or really bad. Jay Ajayi? Who saw that performance coming today? If anybody says they did, they are lying.

My Skins have won 4 straight. Woohoo! Defense gave up no TD's today and only 1 last week at Baltimore. The Eagles' 2 TD's today were on a Cousins-thrown pick 6 and a KO return for TD. At one point in the game, the Skins had 314 yards of offense to Philly's 54.

Come on, Packers!!

The Redskins are playing like a team that can make some noise in the post season. I was looking forward to seeing what the Dolphins would look like with the O-line fully intact, and they did not disappoint. Laremy Tunsil (gas mask bong guy) is every bit as good as advertised. This is a franchise that still has holes to fill before being consistently competitive, so it's great to see them get a good'un.

For a league that flags DB's for farting in the general direction of a receiver, that was a shocking no-call on the PI that ended the Falcon's game. Don't Know

Gutless refs eating their whistle. Ridiculous. Sherman literally was a hold of Jones' right arm when they went up disallowing JJ to use one of his arms to try to catch the ball (and amazingly he still almost did catch it with his left hand alone). I don't blame Quinn for going bonkers.

Every play there are back and forth between DB's and WR's. We all know that. They have to let a lot of the contact go or there would be a flag on every play and the games would last 6 hours. But, that was a terrible no-call. The question to Seattle is while you had 2 guys assigned to JJ (which is right thing to do), how the hell do you let him get behind you - even if for just a split second?

Seattle got bailed out by the refs for playing poor defense deep down the field. Pretty sad.

PI should be something that a coach can challenge in the NFL. From a yardage standpoint it's the biggest penalty out there, and it's as reviewable as anything else.

It should be reviewable, but there is an obvious reason that it isn't. Receivers get away with offensive PI routinely in the NFL, and the league likes it that way because more offense means more revenue. If that part of the game were to be officiated as it should be, the league would suddenly revert to the dark ages where 17 points would be enough to win games. Can't have that!!

Buster Skrine just got busted for farting in the general direction of a Cardinal's receiver. The most legitimate gripe I've heard about CPJ's offense is that it doesn't take advantage of how the modern game of football is officiated. It's hard to argue against that point.

I hear ya. SWMBO unfortunately has to listen to me yell about 622 times at the TV during a Skins game.... "THROW...THE BALL...DEEP...TO...DESEAN JACKSON!!" 2 out of 3 times he either catches it or gets a PI (which we know in the NFL game is as good as a catch most of the time).

I know I wasn't alone from '04 to '06 yelling at the TV and in the stadium...

"THROW...THE BALL...TO...CALVIN JOHNSON!!"

I swear if I had been CCG's offensive coordinator, I would have targeted CJ at least 20 times a game. Imagine what Fridge would've done with Calvin Johnson. Hmmmm....

Patrick Nix is to Chan Gailey as Rip Scherer is to Bill Curry. Both are head scratchers. Don't Know

Scherer was predictable and unimaginative, but Nix was full retard. How many big games did Nix call where Calvin had less than 5 targets? Bad memories...

Well bless the Falcon's heart they are back to the old Falcon's , int by Matt and can't hold a lead. No defense .

Guys who have rushed for 200+ yards in consecutive games in the NFL:

OJ Simpson
Earl Campbell
Ricky Williams
Jay Ajayi (wait, what?)

Mike Pouncey and Gas Mask Bong Guy have put on a clinic the past two weeks...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT