ADVERTISEMENT

NFL thread

Updates of note from Wednesday surfing...

• T.J. Barnes appears to be having a good camp with the Bills. Performed particularly well on Monday in 1-on-1 drills continually whipping his OL counterpart. Also, has been inserted in 3rd & short packages at NT with 1st team. Looking good for making the roster.
  • Also at Bills camp, Mario Butler was singled out for making an excellent pass breakup.
  • Morgan Burnett continues to have a solid career as a starter with the Pack. He forced an Eddie Lacy fumble inside the red zone yesterday.
  • I wouldn't read too much into the NFL-mandated first release of a depth chart by each of the 32 clubs. Andrew Gardner is shown as the #3 left tackle on the Eagles' depth chart released Monday. But then, starting OT Lane Johnson was suspended yesterday for 10 games due to failed drug tests (PEDs) and Gardner's experience and versatility is already mentioned in the media as a guy who could make up some slack there. At minimum, one guy's loss could help one guy's (AG) gain in terms of making the roster and earning more PT.
  • Speaking of depth charts, Adam Gotsis is on the Bronc's at #2 DE and Vance Walker is the #1 DE on the other side.
  • Panthers analyst has Stephen Hill in his "Stock Falling" grouping with this to say... WR Stephen Hill - As time in camp has worn on, it is becoming clearer that his knee is either not ready, or he simply doesn't trust it, even after some early success. This is likely nearing the end for Hill's NFL time.
  • Not looking good for Louis Young in Panthers camp either. He has been burned of late and then caught the ire of HC Ron Rivera when he dealt out a late hit on a WR. Not good for a guy trying to make the team.
  • No surprise, but Michael Johnson is having a good camp so far with the Bengals. Glad to see him back in Cincy where his career has thrived.
  • Isaiah Johnson was cited by Lions analysts as "Stock Rising" this past Sunday, though in yesterday's practice he was burned on a long TD pass.
  • Patrick Skov has been placed on Injured Reserve by the Browns.
  • DeAndre Smelter was listed as one of 3 backups to the 3 starting WR's on the Niners' first depth chart release. No big deal. Smelter's stock could range from being cut to being named a starter based on how he does in preseason games, which new HC Chip Kelly will pay very close attention to as only Torrey Smith is pretty much a lock at WR.
  • The Ravens are losing TE's and WR's to injuries daily it seems. Darren Waller is getting plenty of reps, but his 4-game suspension for being a knucklehead unfortunately disallows him the chance to make significant strides to take advantage of those missing time. He could get cut.
  • Vikings analyst predicts Brandon Watts will be cut. He also has missed some time lately due to injury which doesn't help matters.
  • DJ White continues to impress in Chiefs camp. Many thought KC got a steal when they drafted White late in this past draft. He's showing that to be true so far.

Sad to see John Saunders of ESPN fame has passed away at age 61 today. One of the best sports guys ever...joined ESPN in '86. Canadian. GRHS!

Sad to see John Saunders of ESPN fame has passed away at age 61 today. One of the best sports guys ever...joined ESPN in '86. Canadian. GRHS!

This is a complete and total bummer! Really liked John Saunders. Hope that idiot Mark May doesn't get his position.

Updates from Thursday night's Week 1 Preseason games...

• Andrew Gardner's Eagles defeated the Bucs 17-9...Daryl Smith had no stats, not sure if he played...would make sense if he didn't or perhaps very limited considering he's been in the league 622 years (and that is a compliment of course)
  • Philip Wheeler had 4 tackles (3 solo) in the Falcons' 23-17 win over *MY* Redskins
  • Shaq Mason's Pats defeated the Saints 34-22...Jamal Golden (Saints) had no stats, not sure what's up with that...you'd think he would play a lot (assuming dressed and ready to go) in Game 1 of a preseason game
  • Darren Waller (Ravens) had 5 catches on 8 targets for 48 yards in Baltimore's 22-19 win over Carolina...Stephen Hill (Panthers) had 1 catch on 2 targets for 14 yards...Louis Young (Panthers) had 1 solo tackle
  • Bay Bay Thomas caught a 32 yd TD pass for the Broncs in their 22-0 win at Chicago...Bay Bay caught 2 balls on 2 targets for 43 yards...Adam Gotsis registered 1 solo tackle...Vance Walker had no stats in what I'm guessing what very limited time on the field being a seasoned vet
Friday features 4 former Jackets in action. Will try to update stats as best I can the following day over the next 2-3 weeks.

Updates from Thursday night's Week 1 Preseason games...

• Andrew Gardner's Eagles defeated the Bucs 17-9...Daryl Smith had no stats, not sure if he played...would make sense if he didn't or perhaps very limited considering he's been in the league 622 years (and that is a compliment of course)
  • Philip Wheeler had 4 tackles (3 solo) in the Falcons' 23-17 win over *MY* Redskins
  • Shaq Mason's Pats defeated the Saints 34-22...Jamal Golden (Saints) had no stats, not sure what's up with that...you'd think he would play a lot (assuming dressed and ready to go) in Game 1 of a preseason game
  • Darren Waller (Ravens) had 5 catches on 8 targets for 48 yards in Baltimore's 22-19 win over Carolina...Stephen Hill (Panthers) had 1 catch on 2 targets for 14 yards...Louis Young (Panthers) had 1 solo tackle
  • Bay Bay Thomas caught a 32 yd TD pass for the Broncs in their 22-0 win at Chicago...Bay Bay caught 2 balls on 2 targets for 43 yards...Adam Gotsis registered 1 solo tackle...Vance Walker had no stats in what I'm guessing what very limited time on the field being a seasoned vet
Friday features 4 former Jackets in action. Will try to update stats as best I can the following day over the next 2-3 weeks.

Thank you for the updates! Good stuff!

Maybe one of you guys know this... how many OL do we have now in the League? I can think of but two: Gardner and Mason. Any others?

Those are the only 2. NFL rosters sorted by colleges... http://www.espn.com/nfl/college/_/letter/g

(note, it still shows Nealy as being with the Cardinals...he was cut by them, given a tryout by the Cowpunks but not signed...currently in search of work at the moment)

Thanks, mate. We've never put a lot of OL in the league. Prolly the besyt I've seen was Pepper, who had 4 or 5 at one time. I remember Kent Hill, of course, but also Billy Shields, and Roy Simmons. Leo Tierney had a year or two, IIRC.

Big David Lutz had a super career with the Chiefs.

Unfortunately, of recent note, Omoregie Uzzi's career was short-lived out in Seattle. Though, he was with a great organization and at least can say he got paid to play a game.

Stats from Friday night's preseason action...

• Isaiah Johnson had 2 solo + 2 assist tackles
  • Neither Brandon Watts nor Michael Johnson registered any stats in the Vikes' 17-16 win at Cincy - don't know if MJ played and if he did, doubtful it was much at all
  • Morgan Burnett did not register any stats - same likelihood he didn't play much, if at all
8 Jackets in action today. I'm looking forward to checking out DJ White in the 4:30pmET live broadcast (Seahawks at Chiefs) on NFL Network.

From Saturday night...

• Chris Milton had 1 tackle in the Colts' 19-18 win at Buffalo. For the Bills, Mario Butler logged 1 solo tackle and had 1 assist. T.J. Barnes registered no stats.
  • The Titans defeated the Bolts, 27-10. Neither Sneezy nor Tyler Marcordes registered stats for the Bolts. Same for Derrick Morgan, though as a long-time starter I doubt he played much, if at all.
  • D.J. White had a whopping 4 solo tackles in the Chiefs' 17-16 loss to the Seahawks.
  • Nothing reported for Zach Laskey in the Rams' 28-24 win over the Cowpunks (in front of a huuuuge welcome back home Rams crowd).
Tonight, you might want to tune into DeAndre Smelter and the Niners hosting the Texans at 7pmET live on NFL Network. Smelter needs a good August.

DeAndre Smelter was a scratch for tonight's opening preseason game at SF. He has been limited in practice this past week. Hoping he can get back to practice 100%. He needs the reps.

Week 2 preseason TV viewing involving our Jackets...(games in BOLD are live broadcasts)

Thursday, August 18, 7pmET, NFL Network: Eagles (Andrew Gardner) at Steelers (none)...Gardner's chances looking good to make the final roster and may in fact compete for a starting job with last week's 10-game suspension of OT Lane Johnson for PED use

Thursday, August 18, 10pm, NFL Network: Vikings (Brandon Watts) at Seahawks (none)...critical times for Watts as he is on the bubble to make the Vikes roster

Friday, August 19, 10am, NFL Network tape delay: Bengals (Michael Johnson) at Lions (Isaiah Johnson)...Johnson might get some reps in this game after not playing in Week 1...IJ needs to continue to play well to assure his spot on the final roster

Friday, August 19, 1pm, NFL Network tape delay: Falcons (Philip Wheeler) at Browns (Patrick Skov)...Skov hopefully gets the walking boot off and gets some practice reps in this week while getting to play Thursday night...I know this game will be televised live in the Atlanta area

Friday, August 19, 4pm, NFL Network tape delay: Bears (none) at Patriots (Shaq Mason)...Mason is pushing for a starting role at OG

Saturday, August 20, 4pm, NFL Network: Giants (none) at Bills (TJ Barnes & Mario Butler)...Barnes is likely in good shape to make the final roster...Butler needs to play well this August to assure his spot

Saturday, August 20, 7pm, NFL Network: Ravens (Darren Waller) at Colts (Chris Milton)...Milton is a UDFA and must shine this August for any chance to make the final roster or at least practice squad position

Saturday, August 20, 10pm, NFL Network: Chiefs (DJ White) at Rams (Zach Laskey)...White is turning into a draft steal for the Chiefs...he could be getting a lot of playing time this season as a rookie...Laskey's role with the Rams is suspect

Sunday, August 21, 7:30am, NFL Network tape delay: Bucs (Daryl Smith) at Jaguars (none)...Smith the seasoned vet will likely play very little if at all

Sunday, August 21, 10am, NFL Network tape delay: Panthers (Stephen Hill & Lou Young) at Titans (Derrick Morgan)... Morgan is an established starter of course...both Panthers are in a tough spot to make the roster IMO

Sunday, August 21, 7pm, NFL Network tape delay: 49ers (DeAndre Smelter) at Broncos (Bay Bay Thomas & Adam Gotsis)...with Vance Walker's unfortunate season-ending knee injury, Gotsis will be looked upon for a bigger role at DE...Smelter did not play in Week 1 but hopefully will in this game

Sunday, August 21, 10pm, NFL Network tape delay: Raiders (none) at Packers (Morgan Burnett)...Burnett may make his preseason debut

Tuesday, August 23, 10am, NFL Network tape delay: Saints (Jamal Golden) at Texans (none)...Golden logged no stats in Week 1...his scenario as a UDFA is similar to Milton...has to open some eyes in practice, via special teams, and in games like this one

Get well soon Vance.

Always fond memories of VW. He was completely off the radar when Chan and Giff found him. After that, Beamer reportedly sent his whole staff to see him and, IIRC, Spurrier went after him, too. VW was quoted wtte: I'm going to GA Tech. They gave me an offer when nobody else even knew who I was.

He and MJ were two of my all-time favorites from that era. Get well VW!

Reactions: BornAJacket

• Not looking good for Sneezy out in San Diego. He has lost his starting job and in fact played the entire game in their first preseason game this past weekend (while not registering a single tackle or QB pressure). Preseason Game 1 for starters normally means sitting after the first quarter, not playing into the 4Q. He's in no threat of missing the final roster at the moment and perhaps his insertion of so much time in Game 1 was a wake up call. We'll see...
  • Morgan Burnett has missed a 2nd straight day of practice Tuesday (back injury).
  • The Eagles made a surprising trade yesterday giving up one of their versatile OL's to get Titans WR Dorial Green-Beckham. This pretty much seals Andrew Gardner making the roster as yet another Eagles OL ahead of him on the depth chart is gone (2nd in 7 days).
  • Jamal Golden was not at practice Sunday or Monday with the Saints. Couldn't find out anymore details, but that's not good.
  • Adam Gotsis is being credited with a good first preseason game at Chicago by Denver press. With Vance Walker out for the season, the door is wide open for Gotsis to get even more PT at DE. If he impresses and continues to improve, it is conceivable that Gotsis could be competing for a starting job by midseason (optimistic thinking).
  • Stephen Hill had Tuesday off to rest his surgically repaired knee. He had a TD pass reception in Monday's practice. Still hanging in there, though his chances are slim (IMO).
  • Isaiah Johnson continues to thrive with the Lions. His name is now being tossed around as a competitor for one of the starting safety positions. His chances of making the final roster are high.
  • Shaq Mason is in a tight battle for the starting RG role with rookie Joe Thuney.
  • 5 questions in 50 seconds with Titans DE Derrick Morgan... http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...rrick-morgan-5-questions-50-seconds/87915320/
  • Great news! Quayshawn Nealy is back with the Seahawks. Signed Monday as a roster spot opened at LB due to injury of another Hawk.
  • Not good news for DeAndre Smelter. Just can't seem to shake the injury bug. He's week-to-week with now a leg injury.
  • Just my opinion, but I think a 3rd-4th round steal in fantasy drafts is Bay Bay Thomas. His stock is down versus previous seasons because of the shaky QB situation in Denver. I dunno. If he's sitting there in the 3rd (and certainly 4th) round, I'm probably taking him. Peyton was terrible last year and whoever is QB in Denver likely will continue to target Bay Bay 10-12 times a game. He could be even better with a new QB.
  • Darren Waller appears to still be in the mix in Balmer - even with a 4-game suspension looming.
  • More sitting out due to injury for Brandon Watts at Minnesota. Not good for a guy who is on the bubble for making the team.
  • Philip Wheeler is listed as a backup to Vic Beasley on the Falcons depth chart.
  • DJ White being praised for his work on special teams in K.C. in game 1 of preseason versus Seattle. He also was in on 49% of the defensive snaps...second most among KC cornerbacks, so they are giving him a good long look.

Stats involving Jackets from Thursday night's beginning of Week 2 Preseason...

• Andrew Gardner's Eagles won 17-0 at Pittsburgh
  • In the Bengals 30-14 win at Detroit, Michael Johnson had 4 solo tackles for Cincy while Isaiah Johnson had 2 solo tackles for the Lions
  • In Cleveland where the Falcons defeated the Browns 24-13, I believe Patrick Skov is still out for the Browns on IR and Philip Wheeler recorded one solo tackle for Atlanta
  • In Green Bay, Morgan Burnett registered no stats...he missed a good bit of practice this week so I highly doubt he played or even dressed for the exhibition
  • Shaq Mason's Pats defeated Chicago 23-22
  • In Seattle, Brandon Watts registered no stats for the Vikes in their 18-11 win...like Burnett, he's been sitting out practice due to injury this week and I won't be surprised if he didn't even make the trip to the Great Northwest
2 Jackets in action tonight (Sneezy & Marcordes for the Bolts hosting Arizona) and then a bunch playing on Saturday scattered across 7 preseason games.

Stats involving Jackets from Friday night...

• The Bolts defeated the Cardinals 19-3. Sneezy recorded 4 solo tackles. Tyler Marcordes registered no stats again.

Lots of Jackets in action on Saturday.

Stats involving Jackets from Saturday...

• Stephen Hill had 1 catch on 1 target for 4 yards.
  • Louis Young had 2 solo tackles.
  • Derrick Morgan registered no stats...unclear if he played...if so, was likely very small.
  • Neither Mario Butler nor TJ Barnes registered any stats.
  • Darren Waller had 0 catches on 1 target.
  • Chris Milton registered no stats.
  • Daryl Smith registered no stats.
  • Nothing shown for Jamal Golden...not sure he is even with the Saints anymore???
  • DeAndre Smelter doesn't show any stats...I doubt he played...missed practice all week.
  • Bay Bay Thomas caught 1 of his 2 targets for 10 yards.
  • Adam Gotsis had 1 solo tackle and 1 assist.
  • Zach Laskey registered no stats.
  • DJ White had 1 assist.
That concludes Week 2 of Preseason. Next week is the big week for the starters as Week 3 is normally dress rehearsal time.

Bad news for Shaq Mason. Appears he has broken his hand. Return date is TBD.

• T.J. Barnes was released by the Bills and picked up by the Jaguars.
  • Morgan Burnett remains out of Packers practices due to injury.
  • Andrew Gardner agreed to a pay cut that will likely solidify his roster spot with the Eagles.
  • Stephen Hill has an uphill climb to make the 53-man roster. He may have to hope to make the practice squad again this season with Carolina. Not sure any other team will invest in him.
  • Isaiah Johnson missed practice Tuesday due to injury.
  • Same for Tyler Marcordes in San Diego.
  • Still no time table for Shaq Mason's return from a broken hand suffered this past week.
  • DeAndre Smelter continues to deal with a hamstring injury and is missing valuable practice time (and preseason game action). 49ers do not plan however to place him on IR so there's hope he will be back in time for the regular season perhaps.
  • The Ageless Wonder, Daryl Smith, hasn't practiced much this preseason or played at all with the Bucs. But, he appears to possibly be getting back to the team on the field in the next week. A vet like him doesn't need much, if any, preseason action. Just get his body ready for Week 1 of the regular season.
  • Kudos to Bay Bay Thomas. After Redskins CB Josh Norman was boasting about he shut down Bay Bay in last year's Super Bowl, the normally quiet Thomas simply came back with a picture of his Super Bowl ring with the statement of "Where yours at young fella?" http://mthsportsblog.sportsblog.com...ius-thomas-put-josh-norman-in-his-place-.html Absolutely perfect comeback. Well done, Bay Bay.
  • Darren Waller (jaw) missed practice this week.
  • DJ White started the Chiefs' Week 2 preseason game. He will get a lot more looks in the final 2 preseason games. If he performs well, he could conceivably compete for a starting job or at minimum be a nickel or dime DB. Definitely looks like he'll make the 53-man roster.
  • Louis Young had an impressive practice for the Panthers on Monday in his slight hopes of making the 53-man roster...or, make the practice squad if not.

Key dates coming up:

-Aug. 25-28, Thu-Sun: Week 3 Preseason games - these are important particularly for the starters in dress rehearsal mode normally...the first half of most of these games will look a little more like a real game and less like an exhibition game

-Aug. 30, Tue: teams must cut their rosters down to 70 by 4pmET

-Sep. 1, Thu: Week 4 Preseason games - critical for all guys trying to make the final slots on the roster

-Sep. 3, Sat: teams must cut their rosters down to 53 by 4pmET

-Sep. 4, Sun: any players cut the previous day can be claimed via waivers by 12pmET...starting at 1pmET, all players not on 53-man rosters are deemed free agents and can sign anywhere...also, practice squads begin formation

Sep. 8, Thu: NFL season begins...Panthers at Broncos, 8:30pmET, NBC

How do you see our(stech, myself)Falcons doing this year? Your 'Skins?

NFC South has a very tough schedule this year...facing both the very competitive AFC West and NFC West. This bodes poorly for the Falcons' chances of a winning season, IMO. Among those 8 opponents, I can see a win over the 49ers at home in Week 15, but by then, it may be too late. I think the Bucs and Saints will be better in the division. Panthers still very good. I'm thinking 6-10 for Atlanta with floor being 4-12 and ceiling being 8-8.

Skins should be good, but we haven't had consecutive playoff seasons in over 20 years. We get the NFC North and AFC North this year, which is easier (at least on paper) than what the Falcons face. Plus, we catch a break in Week 1 in that the Steelers' Le'Veon Bell will be suspended as part of his 3-game suspension to open the season. But, we also get the Panthers and Cardinals thanks to winning the division last year. I think the Skins running game is suspect...in fact, a weakness. But, the passing game could be one of the best in the NFL. The defense should be better - perhaps significantly - with Josh Norman blanketing #1 WR's...something the Skins have lacked in over a decade, IMO. I think realistically we are looking at 8-8, missing the playoffs, with a floor of 6-10 and a ceiling of 11-5 if everything breaks our way (including some kind of running game arising...if the Skins get a running game threat, the offense will be incredibly difficult to stop).

Thank you. Keep hearing those 6 win whispers for the Dirty Birds. You've confirmed those thoughts.

Had no idea the Redskins could be in for a potential break even season, but then I haven't kept up with most of the NFL teams.

Excellent logic on your part. Makes sense, just like your forecast on Tech football.

Stats from Thursday's Week 3 preseason games involving our Jackets...

• Philip Wheeler had a good night registering 4 solo tackles and 4 assists in the Falcons' 17-6 loss to the Dolphins in Orlando.
  • Quayshawn Nealy had 1 solo tackle for the Seahawks in their 27-17 win over the Cowpunks.
5 bowl-like games tonight.

Stats from Friday's games involving our Jackets...

• Mario Butler posted no stats in the Bills' 21-16 loss at *MY* Redskins
  • Stephen Hill had 0 catches on 1 target and Lou Young tallied 1 solo tackle in the Panthers' home 19-17 loss to the Pats
  • I don't see anything from Jamal Golden with the Saints in their 27-14 home loss to the Steelers...further, not even sure he's still with the Saints
  • A week ago, Patrick Skov missed Week 2 in a walking boot...I think he's on IR and likely won't return...no stats vs the Bucs last night...don't know if Daryl Smith played (he's missed a lot of practice time this August) for Tampa Bay...he is not listed in any defensive stats
  • In the Pack-Niners game, there are no stats for either Morgan Burnett or DeAndre Smelter...I doubt either of them played due to injuries...seems like an unfortunate, but common, theme throughout today's updates :(
More Jackets in action today starting with DJ White and the Chiefs at 1pm (live, NFL Network) traveling to Chicago.

Saturday stats involving our Jackets...

• DJ White had 2 solo tackles in the Chiefs' 23-7 win at Chicago.
  • Isaiah Johnson registered no stats for the Lions, while Darren Waller had 2 catches for 28 yards for the Ravens in Baltimore's 30-9 home win.
  • Andrew Gardner's Eagles won at Indianapolis, 33-23. Chris Milton registered 1 solo tackle for the Colts.
  • Derrick Morgan had 2 solo tackles in the Titan's 27-14 win at Oakland.
  • Adam Gotsis had 2 tackles, 1 solo & 1 assist, in Denver's home 17-9 win over the Rams. Zack Laskey once again registered no stats for the Rams. Bay Bay Thomas 4 catches for 63 yards including a long of 43.
A few Jackets in play today - 3 games to finish up Week 3. Teams cut to 75 by Tuesday and in fact, some cuts are already taking place.

No surprise at all, but Stephen Hill was cut today by Carolina. Likely the end of his NFL career. Can't imagine anybody else taking a chance on him...but, I've said that before multiple times only to be wrong...so, you never know.

How do you see our(stech, myself)Falcons doing this year? Your 'Skins?
We have a big problem with the Falcons. First is the owner Arthur Blank . He has make one dumb hire after another. The second is the Offense of Coordinator Kyle Shanahan . Both are big problems for the Falcons will will hurt till both are gone. And a GM who can't draft.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT