ADVERTISEMENT

NFL thread

A little surprised to see the Eagles have cut Andrew Gardner. I think he has a good shot at being picked up by somebody...perhaps San Francisco where his old HC (Chip Kelly) is now running the show.

That Gardner cut surprised me too. I'm hoping MY Miami Dolphins can pick him up as we jettison wasted recent 2nd and 3rd round draft picks on the OL.

I may be wrong, but I believe Gardner signed a new contract a couple of years ago and his salary was bumped to near-starter's pay. IIRC, it was a bit controversial at the time that Chip Kelly gave him that kind of money considering he had not been a starter for more than a season. That contract may have had a big part to play in his departure.

AG started with your Fish (IIRC) so he has some familiarity with the organization...albeit perhaps 3 HC's removed since he was there.

Andrew played well when asked as a Dolphin (as did John Jerry who has since anchored the RG position for the Giants). The frustration us fish fans feel about OL personnel decisions is easily on par with the frustration felt by Basketjacket fans.

I watched a little of the Falcons-Miami game this past Thursday night. I saw Tunsil on the field with the starting unit. If he can behave himself, that could be a nice pick...well, considering some had him in their top 5 on their boards prior to all of the dumb stuff he has done coming to light.

Gas-mask-bong-guy...LMAO!

tumblr_lyzkrqWu9y1qgcg31o2_500.gif

The direct description approach works like a charm.

Stats of our Jackets from Sunday's final Week 3 preseason games...

• Neither Sneezy nor Tyler Marcordes registered any defensive stats for the Bolts in their 23-10 loss at Minnesota. For the Vikes, Brandon Watts (who has been injured) did not register any stats either.
  • In Jacksonville's 26-21 win over the Bengals, Michael Johnson did not stat while T.J. Barnes, new arrival with the Jags, registered one solo tackle.
Should be some cuts today. Will try to post in replies. So far, Stephen Hill and Andrew Gardner have been cut.

Just my take the day before teams cut down to 75...these are chances of making the final roster FWIW...some could be kept for practice squad when all is said and done

In...Burnett, Gotsis, M Johnson, Mason, Morgan, Thomas, Walker (out for season)

Positive Side of Bubble (expect to make 53-man roster)...Sneezy, I Johnson, Smith, Wheeler, White

Bubble (50-50)...Barnes, Butler, Smelter, Waller, Young

Negative Side of Bubble (just a matter of time)...Golden, Laskey, Milton, Nealy, Watts

Already Out...Skov, Marcordes, Gardner, Hill

Like Paul proclaims, "we have blue collar players", not the ones that can only play football at the factories.

Must be why these overachievers like Laskey, Nealy, Golden, Milton cannot stick in the NFL?

• Chris Milton (Colts) and Brandon Watts (Vikes) survived the cut to 75-man roster...still have a lot of work to do to survive the upcoming 53-man roster cut (due by Sat. at 4pmET)...each could make the practice squad of their respective teams or another club if they are cut as I expect they will be before the weekend
  • Same for Lou Young with the Panthers and TJ Barnes with the Jags
  • DeAndre Smelter still dealing with a lingering hamstring issue...note, fellow Niners WR Bruce Ellington has been ruled out for the entire season due to a torn hamstring...other than Torrey Smith, the Niners are painfully thin in terms of proven experience at the NFL level...won't be surprised at all if Chip Kelly brings in some guys cut from other teams over the coming days at that position...the opportunity door is wide open for Smelter if he can ever get healthy
  • Mario Butler is the definition of a bubble guy. He is competing with 1 or 2 other guys for the last DB position per Bills' analysts. The Bills play at Detroit Thursday evening. Could be a huge game for Butler.

The previously-scheduled Thursday night preseason finale between *MY* Redskins at Tampa Bay has been moved up a day to tonight in advance of the tropical storm that is forecast to slam the Tampa-St. Pete area Thursday afternoon. TB worked with the Skins and NFL to get the game rescheduled. The safety of the fans, players, etc., was a driver, but the bigger driver was the drain on security and police personnel that will likely be needed elsewhere to respond to potential emergency situations Thursday.

I am interested to see if Daryl Smith, The Ageless Wonder, finally gets any playing time in for the Bucs this preseason in advance of the regular season. Certainly, if there is a guy on the Bucs' roster that likely needs no time on the field to know he's ready for the real thing, it is Smith. He has been nicked up pretty much all of preseason camp.

Side note, some of the Skins will attend the organization's annual Welcome Home Luncheon (50+ years of this tradition in DC), the entire team will then head to a charter flight after lunch, fly to TB, take a bus to the stadium, play the game (pretty much all backups and some who will be cut the following day), bus back to the airport after the game, and then fly home late tonight (getting out before the storm arrives). It's that time of year I guess.

As expected, Daryl Smith was inactive last night along with most all of the starters for both *MY* Redskins and Tampa Bay. A lot of the Skins didn't even make the day trip to TB, which makes sense as the game was a wash out in miserable conditions. The NFL really needs to do something about forcing season ticket holders to have to pay for 2 meaningless exhibition preseason games. It's way too long.

Lou Young has been cut by the Panthers.

Looks like Darren Waller has avoided being cut by the Ravens, though he is suspended for the first 4 games.

No surprise, Sneezy made the Bolts' final roster.

No surprise at all, but congrats to 6th round draft choice, DJ White, for making the Chiefs' 53-man roster.

Also, Brandon Watts who was on the fence gets some good news as it appears he has made the Vikings' 53-man roster as well. Nice!

Further, DeAndre Smelter apparently has made the Niners' 53-man roster as well.

• Chris Milton signed to Colts' practice squad. That's outstanding.
  • Brandon Watts was actually waived by the Vikings. So far, I have not seen him picked up by any team. Sorry for the misinformation yesterday.
  • Also need to clear up DeAndre Smelter. He has cleared waivers and reverts to SF's injured reserve list. It is unclear whether he will play at all this season...or, for that matter, ever in the NFL.

Made 53-Man Roster
Morgan Burnett, Packers
Adam Gotsis, Broncos
Michael Johnson, Bengals
Shaq Mason, Patriots
Derrick Morgan, Titans
Bay Bay Thomas, Broncos
Sneezy, Chargers
Daryl Smith, Bucs
Philip Wheeler, Falcons
D.J. White, Chiefs

Suspended (4 games)
Darren Waller, Ravens

Out for Season (injured)
Vance Walker, Broncos

Practice Squad

Chris Milton, Colts
Isaiah Johnson, Rams

Injured Reserve
Tyler Marcordes, Chargers
Zach Laskey, Rams

Out
T.J. Barnes
Lou Young
Jamal Golden
Quayshawn Nealy
Brandon Watts
Patrick Skov
Andrew Gardner
Stephen Hill
DeAndre Smelter

Last edited:
A bit of good news... Isaiah Johnson has been picked up by the L.A. Rams and signed to their practice squad.

DeAndre Smelter has been waived by the 49ers with an injury settlement. His future is uncertain at the moment as he is now officially a free agent.

Though, I guess they played a couple of exhibition games in there already, the Vikings debut their new US Bank Stadium for its first regular season game this Sunday night against the Packers.

Pics below. Won't be long before Atlanta United FC will be opening up the stadium Tech & the Vols will be playing in around this time next year.

00af37-20160719-vikings-stadium01.jpg

tempBerg-160301-6811--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Happy for you Falcons fans. That's a good road bounce-back win after the disappointing home opening loss.

Nice!

Dirty Birdies, Braves Bats, Tech Trouncing....only thing bad was that luckiest team in college football, converting on fourth down against those pretend Tigers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT