ADVERTISEMENT

Miami@GT, Oct. 1...12:00 on ESPN-2

Damn, that was too easy. Need more from AJ Gray when we are in cover 1. Oh well, let's get his back, offense. Their D didn't get much time to rest.

That drive took 2 minutes. Too easy. Successful running early set up those passes. Way too much cushion given by our DB's. Ugh. Need to answer here.

After that drive where our cover 1 defense gave up huge plays, Ted is going zone and asking the front 4 to get pressure. Worked on that 3rd down! Come on offense, put together something here!

Run defense has held them in check with 96 yards on 19 carries. Run D will get tested here as Richt tries to roll clock.

Terrible tackling on the Miami TE. Just knock him out of bounds. What the hell are we doing there?

Sheesh. It's over now.

Bummer.

I said if the Tech D could hold them to 24 or less, it was a good showing. We've given up 21 so far.

Encouraging. And, encouraging signs on offense.

I feel better - at least slightly - about our chances for the remainder of the season. The teams coming up on the schedule will challenge our defense, perhaps more than Miami, but I feel good about us being able to move the ball offensively and score. Just need to keep this same approach with more opening of the offense. The Pitt defensive staff and players have a hell of a lot more to think about and prep for this next week thanks to today's game IMO.

I can't remember feeling this good after a loss. Erase those two mental errors by JT5 and this one played out almost exactly as I was hoping it would. Run defense looks to be for real, those were talented running backs we faced today and for the most part they had nowhere to go - really good gap discipline. And the pass defense held up okay against the best throwing QB we will see all season. The offense looked a whole lot better against an athletic defense. Let's build off of this and get some Coastal victories.

2 defensive TD's the difference. We should win our share this year. Miami is a good team, but that one was winnable. That's a good thing to say. I feel much better about the remainder of our schedule. We can win them all.

Only game I feel we have little-to-no chance in the rest of the way is at Blacksburg. Other than that, the rest are winnable if the guys continue to improve. Big "if", but encouraged for sure. 4 home games down, 3 left (all should be W's..."should"). Hoping we can get at least 1 win among roadies at Pitt, at Cheaters or at Cesspool. Cesspool seems our best bet and is the one I'd love the most of course.

Only game I feel we have little-to-no chance in the rest of the way is at Blacksburg. Other than that, the rest are winnable if the guys continue to improve. Big "if", but encouraged for sure. 4 home games down, 3 left (all should be W's..."should"). Hoping we can get at least 1 win among roadies at Pitt, at Cheaters or at Cesspool. Cesspool seems our best bet and is the one I'd love the most of course.
I try to be positive but I don't think we can stop UNC's passing and VT ( defense has our number) not sure about Pitt all I know is we play like crap on the road. And I may be the only one but I'm ready to start playing MJ some at QB.

Some random thoughts on the Miami game...

I'm really in favor of the change to signaling plays in from the sideline instead of sending them in with A-backs. It should allow us to get into better calls given what the defense is showing. It also allows us to stay with the best pair of A-backs since they aren't rotating in and out on every play. A friend of mine who was at the game says Tevin was the guy signaling the plays in.

Really liked seeing Cerge-Henderson getting the start at NT. He's the best we have at that position and Gamble is much better at the 3-technique than the 1. Hope the change is permanent.

I expect the "or" to be no more on the depth chart at RG next week. Parker Braun should be our starter there. He had a really solid game.

Didn't watch him too closely, but I did see some nice blocking from Jahaziel Lee when Fromayan went down. Looks like we hauled in some talented offensive linemen in the 2016 class. Nice.

We are a zone coverage team. Miami feasted on our man coverage when we tried it. The man assignments weren't staying close and the safeties in zone behind it played with hesitation. It's not what we do.

Defense continues to play with good gap integrity against the run. With the exception of a few plays on that first drive, our defense played with discipline against the run. What is it with first drives and our defense, anyway?

Dedrick Mills is a beast of a runner and blocker. He has gotten better with each and every game. Big recruiting score with him!! Time to move Marcus Marshall to A-back. Would love to see those two on the field at the same time.

Last edited:
Rankings still don't mean much this time of year, though we may be getting close to where they do I realize, but a silver lining to our season so far is that...

...our 2 losses so far are to #3 Clemson (5-0) and #10 Miami (4-0).

Our 3 wins are over mediocre to outmanned teams.

Now, it's time for some real tests. At Pitt should tell us a lot. We should be able to score on those guys. But, they will too most likely. First true road game for the Jackets on the season.

Cheaters #17, Louisville #7, Noles #23, Hokies #25 in this week's rankings. 6 ACC teams in the top 25 is some decent respect for the conference. SEC has 6 teams as well (not sure why Florida deserves a #18 ranking).

when the offense fumbles like they did and give up 2 quick scores, its going to be a bad day. There were positives, but not enough. sad at another loss that could have been a win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT