ADVERTISEMENT

Miami@GT, Oct. 1...12:00 on ESPN-2

Against Clemson, the blitzing may not have got him to the ground, but it held them to 3 points after great field position from a turnover...

So if they can do that for 4 qtrs., I'd be happy with not getting Kaaya to the ground. I just don't know if they can keep it up for 4 qtrs.

Oh and PLEASE cover the TE
Do we have a defense that covers the TE? If so I don't remember it.

Helen Hunt's twin brother, that was hilarious!
Thanks for pointing that out. I have been wondering for years who he resembled, in the back of my memory. She does have a tad bit more of personality than he does. Just a sliver.

I wouldn't say I'm not worried about their run game. The nightmare scenario here is that they come out of the gate gashing us with the run game. If that happens, it's lights-out unless our offense suddenly reverts to 2014 form. In fact, if they start ripping off big chunks on the ground on their first possession, playing the Canes to cover on a live book is probably a very safe play.

I'm just saying that gap integrity against the run has been a strength of this defense, so I see that as the lesser of the two things to worry about. It's going to be interesting to see how CTR calls this game vs. the pass. I doubt he is going to sit back in the soft prevent looking zone that has been the base call this year. At some point I bet he goes into a cover 1 look where we are manned-up underneath with AJ Gray playing center field at the FS spot while sending 5 after Kaaya. Unless you know for a fact that our guys can't handle man assignments, that's something that you just have to try. At least that's this idiot's opinion...

To me the Clemson game was the contest that would tell us if the offense is back. The answer came back as a decisive NO!!! I think the Miami game will tell us if we have truly turned a corner defensively - perhaps for the first time in the CPJ era. As GTJT mentioned above, if we hold them in the mid 20's there is much to be excited about defensively, whether we win or lose the game.

Hey, if any of you listened to the CPJ Radio Show tonight, please advise your opinion if worth the time for me to listen to the replay online. I wasn't able to listen live tonight.

Thru 4 games, Tech's D has done a decent-to-good job of covering TE's. Let's take a look...

vs BC: 0 receptions allowed to TE's

vs Mercer: 5 receptions for 41 yards...not great, but not terrible either

vs Vandy: 4 receptions for 32 yards

vs Clemson: 4 receptions for 31 yards and 1 TD (Simmons should have covered that TD pass far better than he did...and, he knows it)

Miami will indeed go to the TE often. They have 3 guys so far which have combined for 14 catches, 234 yards and 2 TD's thru 3 games.

14 of 88 completions = almost 15%
104 of 873 yards = almost 12%
1 of 4 TDs = 25%

seems maybe worth more attention. I tried to find down/distance when the TEs were used against Tech, but couldn't find it quickly.

I am not looking forward to Saturday. The masculine version of Helen Hunt might screw up a game call or two, but never against us. Or if he does, something flukey happens and he ends up winning anyway. And as much as I don't like him, he's a really good coach. May need to start pre-gaming now and cancel my Sunday plans to continue with post-gaming. Not feeling the offense will be ready against yet another good defense and the defnese will have their hands full with Miamia's big OL.

I don't think teams have "figured it out" regarding our spread option offense. I think teams we strong d-lines and quick, smart, LBs can stifle any offense. I have spent a lot of time reflecting/researching since the 2010 season, which was a shocker after CPJ came in and, as he had in previous stops, instantly improved the W-L record. I do think we have a jimmy and joes issue, but I don't know that it boils down to a coach being able to recruit/not recruit. It is, however, frustrating that our OL seems to have made little improvement in technique/knowledge from last year. O

We have put an offensive lineman and receivers in the NFL who have played in this "system", which is one of the the criticisms of the offense (Hi David Cutcliffe!). And frankly, up until 2015, I would have said it was more important to get the 4 and 5 star recruits on the defensive side of the ball. I never imagined our defense would improve while our offense really struggled!! Am I the only one who thought, "If we can get some studs on D, particularly the line, and be a top 30-40 defense, LOOK OUT"?

The cheating exposed at UNC, Miami, Auburn, Ole Miss, etc. and the NCAA's commitment to doing NOTHING about it make me think that we are losing the "arms race". Not that I want us to sink to their level, but I wonder how we can compete with the factories who have gotten very good, imho, at figuring out how to deliver impermissible benefits using boosters, grad assistants, lower level assistant coaches, compliance staff, etc. to allow head coaches, athletic directors, and schools to have plausible deniability. The athletes know who to contact (Tunsil) to get "bills paid". You bet Alabama boosters are "supporting" the program on the side and Nick Saban wants to know nothing about it, even though I doubt he wants them to stop.

CPJ has said our facilities are behind (I have no idea if this is true as I have never looked at the facilities at other schools.... I know we added the indoor practice facility and I thought we upgraded the weight room/meeting rooms for players?).

I don't think I want us to lower our standards. The fact that uGAG lowers theirs and excuses the behavior of their SA's is one of the reasons I despise them. Having met and listened to our student athletes, I am pretty proud of their character and their "Tech DNA". So is this a coaching staff problem, a Tech problem, an NCAA problem for not enforcing the rules that are supposed to encourage a level playing field for amateur athletes?

Reactions: Buzzforlife
I'm looking more at the broader picture of how much of the Coastal has upgraded. I think Tech's facilities are on par with the division.

Virginia Tech: was definitely getting stagnant towards the end of the Beamer era. Significant upgrade in HC and offensive philosophy. Exciting, wide-open, young-person-friendly offense should help recruiting on that side of the ball. Bud Foster is still excellent and is still there. Significant upgrade at a school that covets FB first and foremost...and, will only get stronger as they step back up in the ACC & Coastal picture.

Cheaters: Fedora - as much as I don't like his bravado act - has awakened the sleeping dog in Chapel Hell. Another wide-open offensive attack that will attract kids. Cheaterville has always been able to recruit (and apparently not "burden" its football players academically), but the lack of coaching since Mack Brown left has held this program back significantly. Don't think that is the case anymore. They've passed us by.

Miami: Spray Tan Boy is the real deal. His numbers (W-L) speak volumes. They have a recruiting utopia in their own backyard. Talent has NEVER been the issue at Miami. See the Cheaters problem for why they haven't achieved more. Now, they have a legit leader who should take them back to a national power and finally get them to the ACCCG within the next 2-3 years. I can't say they've "passed us by" when this program has beaten us 6 of the last 7 years. Certainly, they are in much better shape to step forward than we are.

Pitt: Again, a new head coach now in his 2nd year. I'm not as sold that Pitt will be in the top 3 moving forward in the Coastal as I am the 3 listed above, but they are right there. Slightly ahead of us, IMO. If their D can improve this season, they have a shot to make noise this year as they have an explosive offense.

Duke: Certainly, a significant upgrade over the last few years under Cutcliffe. They are on par with us right now. That says a lot. They've upgraded their stadium (finally) and other facilities as Duke has (finally) started investing in FB. They've of course beaten us the last 2 years which is a sad sign for us.

Virginia: Not convinced Mendenhall was a great hire, but definitely it can't get much worse than it has been. They have good facilities. They have strong athletic infrastructure. They are what the Cheaters have been between Brown and now Fedora...that is, between the Nose Picker and whoever the next HC might be who will wake up a sleeping dog. Again, jury is out early on whether BM is the guy who can and will do that. Paint me cynical until the sample size is larger.

Regardless, we look a lot more like Duke and Virginia than we do the Hokies, Canes and Cheaters these days. We are at a crossroads as I've posted before. We are recruiting well on the D side of the ball and I think the coaching is there. We have stability as well in our coaching staff on that side of the ball. Having said that, the jury is out on this defense as well. Haven't faced but one legit offense all season to date. We'll find out a ton more over the next few weeks. Serious question marks abound about the other side of the ball...you know, the one that gets 90% of the attention from fans and reporters. Our O certainly has not helped our D much at all. Intangibles such as special teams play, penalties, TO margin, etc., have not been a problem so far this season and in fact have been a bit of a strength (knock on wood it stays that way). Hopefully, that is a sign of a disciplined team and if so, the coaches deserve credit for that.

With three coaches devoted to the OL this week, it appears to be an area of concern.

Ha ha. This is getting hilarious. Recall back in the summer when I hypothesized we would eventually have a Left Tackle Assistant Coach, Left Guard Assistant Coach, and so forth. We are only 2 coaches away from that.

tumblr_lab2nyC5iJ1qzpwi0o1_400.gif

Stech81, told me he was coaching the left guards this year. Maybe he was referring to "cup" talk? Not the wearing jock type, the drinking one(guarding the left keg).

Stech81, told me he was coaching the left guards this year. Maybe he was referring to "cup" talk? Not the wearing jock type, the drinking one(guarding the left keg).

He's also responsible for guarding the taco bar. If anything goes wrong, he will certainly take responsibility...well, some of it, that is. :)

I'm looking more at the broader picture of how much of the Coastal has upgraded. I think Tech's facilities are on par with the division.

Virginia Tech: was definitely getting stagnant towards the end of the Beamer era. Significant upgrade in HC and offensive philosophy. Exciting, wide-open, young-person-friendly offense should help recruiting on that side of the ball. Bud Foster is still excellent and is still there. Significant upgrade at a school that covets FB first and foremost...and, will only get stronger as they step back up in the ACC & Coastal picture.

Cheaters: Fedora - as much as I don't like his bravado act - has awakened the sleeping dog in Chapel Hell. Another wide-open offensive attack that will attract kids. Cheaterville has always been able to recruit (and apparently not "burden" its football players academically), but the lack of coaching since Mack Brown left has held this program back significantly. Don't think that is the case anymore. They've passed us by.

Miami: Spray Tan Boy is the real deal. His numbers (W-L) speak volumes. They have a recruiting utopia in their own backyard. Talent has NEVER been the issue at Miami. See the Cheaters problem for why they haven't achieved more. Now, they have a legit leader who should take them back to a national power and finally get them to the ACCCG within the next 2-3 years. I can't say they've "passed us by" when this program has beaten us 6 of the last 7 years. Certainly, they are in much better shape to step forward than we are.

Pitt: Again, a new head coach now in his 2nd year. I'm not as sold that Pitt will be in the top 3 moving forward in the Coastal as I am the 3 listed above, but they are right there. Slightly ahead of us, IMO. If their D can improve this season, they have a shot to make noise this year as they have an explosive offense.

Duke: Certainly, a significant upgrade over the last few years under Cutcliffe. They are on par with us right now. That says a lot. They've upgraded their stadium (finally) and other facilities as Duke has (finally) started investing in FB. They've of course beaten us the last 2 years which is a sad sign for us.

Virginia: Not convinced Mendenhall was a great hire, but definitely it can't get much worse than it has been. They have good facilities. They have strong athletic infrastructure. They are what the Cheaters have been between Brown and now Fedora...that is, between the Nose Picker and whoever the next HC might be who will wake up a sleeping dog. Again, jury is out early on whether BM is the guy who can and will do that. Paint me cynical until the sample size is larger.

Regardless, we look a lot more like Duke and Virginia than we do the Hokies, Canes and Cheaters these days. We are at a crossroads as I've posted before. We are recruiting well on the D side of the ball and I think the coaching is there. We have stability as well in our coaching staff on that side of the ball. Having said that, the jury is out on this defense as well. Haven't faced but one legit offense all season to date. We'll find out a ton more over the next few weeks. Serious question marks abound about the other side of the ball...you know, the one that gets 90% of the attention from fans and reporters. Our O certainly has not helped our D much at all. Intangibles such as special teams play, penalties, TO margin, etc., have not been a problem so far this season and in fact have been a bit of a strength (knock on wood it stays that way). Hopefully, that is a sign of a disciplined team and if so, the coaches deserve credit for that.

We have to get to where we can pass in this offense when teams that can (read: Clemson, VPI, Miami, UGA, etc.) load the box to stop our run. 8/9 in the box leads to a jailbreak rush on passing downs. CPJ just has to rethink this thing some - not a lot, but some. We *have* to upgrade at the WR position. Our WR's are not getting separation in the time our QB's have to throw them the ball. Also, we have got to continue getting better at the OL position - specifically at pass blocking. It appears to me that more time has to be devoted to this.**

** I also think the entire concept of cut blocking needs to be re-evaluated. For the size of guys that we have on the OL to cut successfully, it requires a weight forward stance with low head and shoulders. It's just ballistics. Pass blocking requires a more balanced stance in order to maintain position against an opponent firing out to get past you to the QB. I personally don't know how we can line up to pass block w/o telegraphing the play to the DL. Or if we don't, how our guys can get their balance redistributed before the DL establishes position on the rush. Most often, they don't.

When we have a backfield full of seniors, an All-American OG, and two NFL draftees at WR, this O can run with the best of them. But how often do we have that?

He's also responsible for guarding the taco bar. If anything goes wrong, he will certainly take responsibility...well, some of it, that is. :)
I take 10 percent responsibility if something goes wrong and coach Danny Hall gets 50% and the Hill gets 40%.

I take 10 percent responsibility if something goes wrong and coach Danny Hall gets 50% and the Hill gets 40%.

Sounds about right. Maybe Danny is more like 40% and you can give each of these 1%:

-Chan Gailey
-Dave Braine
-Paul Hewitt
-the cleats we wore against Utah in that meaningless exhibition game years ago
-not covering the TE
-traffic
-scorching 68 degree temps
-noon kickoffs
-weddings in the fall
-parking

Sounds about right. Maybe Danny is more like 40% and you can give each of these 1%:

-Chan Gailey
-Dave Braine
-Paul Hewitt
-the cleats we wore against Utah in that meaningless exhibition game years ago
-not covering the TE
-traffic
-scorching 68 degree temps
-noon kickoffs
-weddings in the fall
-parking
I can do that but maybe not covering the TE may need to be more.

Can you give noon kickoffs 1.5% and give CFDH 39%? Possibly consider giving the unmentionable one(Fire Bill Lewis For Real Immediately).5%?

Anyone else getting the feeling that this is a particularly important game for the program? Not talking about whether we win or lose, but how we perform. Coming off of last year's disaster, if we aren't competitive in this game the sentiment about the program could turn extremely negative in a hurry. I'm relatively confident that we will be competitive on Saturday as reflected in my Pick'em selection, but if we aren't this could well be that point where we take the wrong turn on the crossroads that GTJT speaks of.

Just one idiot's opinion, but I'm not expecting much from the Jackets Saturday. If we can stay within 10 pts of them and we see some progress from the offense, that will be a good sign to my eyes (for this particular weekend). If we win, then that is a terrific sign that things are not nearly as bleak as I view them right now.

To me, the bigger tests are on the horizon. That is, teams I believe we match up better with. The offense should be able to move the ball much better against our remaining opponents after this weekend - less perhaps Duke who for some crazy reason has played us very well the last 2 years. Even then, we need to see progress against the Devils. I refuse to believe they have better personnel than we do.

If we see progress with the offense over the remainder of the season, my hopes are better for the future. I already picked us to go 6-6/3-5 on the season so my expectations remain fairly low as-is. We return everybody on offense less JT5 and Burden. If we do not see progress and continue to flounder against competition we should be able to move the ball better against, then that just reinforces (in my eyes) what I've been thinking going on for a little over 12 months now...and, that is, something is seriously wrong with this offense that can't be just written off to the same old excuses of youth, etc.

The crossroads I mention have more to do with us standing still while watching two-thirds of the Coastal passing us by before our eyes. So, we not only need progress, we need significant progress just to keep up with those programs who see the light of the top of the Atlantic Division being very strong and putting their foot on the gas pedal to get to 100 mph. We can't afford to creep at a snail's pace.

I sure wish the old riverboat gambling Paul Johnson would come back. Not only were we less predictable, but games were more fun, less boring, to watch. I can watch the games 622 miles away and pretty much predict what's coming next offensively about half the time. Give us a reverse. Give us a screen pass and then do it again the next play. When's the last time we onsides kicked early in a game? Loved the fake punt against Mercer. Not sure why we run that out against them, but who cares? Do it again. Bring back the CPJ who folks always wondered to themselves... "I wonder what that crazy sumbitch is going to do next?...what does he have up his sleeve?" I miss THAT Paul Johnson. The program could use a little infusion of unpredictability...especially on offense. Again, just one idiot's opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT