ADVERTISEMENT

Miami@GT, Oct. 1...12:00 on ESPN-2

I feel it is pivotal like you have stated. Lose this and it looks like one home loss has become two straight....then a most likely underdog at Pitt.(might be a dog even with a win, slightly)....followed by a must win situation back here with GSU...open date....then the game that determines if we are going to ride the bottom of the Coastal with Duke. When 3 of the last 4 are on the road, you have must wins with the Devils and the last home game vs.UVA.

CPJ has turned into a pounder. He would have fit quite well into 1982 wishbone college football. I agree, that we used to be much more creative with play selection. Lot's of freeze options, counters, rocket tosses, midlines, etc. Now it's 50% dives - it seems. Maybe the guys can't execute those plays anymore. If so, that is coaching, IMO.

Still, we have no real credible passing threat, and I don't know that any of that would work if we had not had Thomas, Hill, Smelter and Waller over the last 8 years.

It appears to me that the consensus position of opposing coaches is they will take their chances making us beat them by passing the ball, stack 8/9 in the box and snuff out the run. I would almost guarantee we'll see this ad nauseum until we prove we can pass the ball effectively.

PREACH!!!

Just one idiot's opinion, but I'm not expecting much from the Jackets Saturday. If we can stay within 10 pts of them and we see some progress from the offense, that will be a good sign to my eyes (for this particular weekend). If we win, then that is a terrific sign that things are not nearly as bleak as I view them right now.

To me, the bigger tests are on the horizon. That is, teams I believe we match up better with. The offense should be able to move the ball much better against our remaining opponents after this weekend - less perhaps Duke who for some crazy reason has played us very well the last 2 years. Even then, we need to see progress against the Devils. I refuse to believe they have better personnel than we do.

If we see progress with the offense over the remainder of the season, my hopes are better for the future. I already picked us to go 6-6/3-5 on the season so my expectations remain fairly low as-is. We return everybody on offense less JT5 and Burden. If we do not see progress and continue to flounder against competition we should be able to move the ball better against, then that just reinforces (in my eyes) what I've been thinking going on for a little over 12 months now...and, that is, something is seriously wrong with this offense that can't be just written off to the same old excuses of youth, etc.

The crossroads I mention have more to do with us standing still while watching two-thirds of the Coastal passing us by before our eyes. So, we not only need progress, we need significant progress just to keep up with those programs who see the light of the top of the Atlantic Division being very strong and putting their foot on the gas pedal to get to 100 mph. We can't afford to creep at a snail's pace.

I sure wish the old riverboat gambling Paul Johnson would come back. Not only were we less predictable, but games were more fun, less boring, to watch. I can watch the games 622 miles away and pretty much predict what's coming next offensively about half the time. Give us a reverse. Give us a screen pass and then do it again the next play. When's the last time we onsides kicked early in a game? Loved the fake punt against Mercer. Not sure why we run that out against them, but who cares? Do it again. Bring back the CPJ who folks always wondered to themselves... "I wonder what that crazy sumbitch is going to do next?...what does he have up his sleeve?" I miss THAT Paul Johnson. The program could use a little infusion of unpredictability...especially on offense. Again, just one idiot's opinion.

Btw, everything I've stated about the offense applies to the defense as well. I'm no longer convinced that BC and Vandy have incredibly strong defenses. I am convinced neither is worth crapola on offense. Our D has only faced 1 good offense this season. For the most part - especially considering they got absolutely no help from our offense and were on the field for 60+% of the time in 3 of the 4 quarters - they did OK against that good offense a week ago. Can't say good, but certainly can't say bad, mediocre or even average. Clemson's offense will put up 24 or more points against a lot of teams this season (recall 2 of their points were due to our defense on a fluke play).

Just like our offense, we will find out a lot about this Tech defense over the next couple of games so by the midway point of the season to know if we can rely on this D to keep us in games down the stretch or if the Clemson game was an aberration. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a good O and D at the same time? Seems to happen about once a decade at Tech.

I think Paul Johnson has reduced the playbook because he's had a hell of time getting the kids to execute the basic stuff properly this year and last. I look at the depth chart on offense and I see 15 kids on there that will be here in 2018. To me, that says the overall trajectory of this offense has to be positive for the next few years. Just hope we see some evidence of that beginning on Saturday.

I get it. I really do. What I also think is if the playbook was opened up some, it very well may open up things for the base stuff. I refuse to believe that we can't successfully design some plays outside of our norm and execute them. We have smart kids. Let's use that to our advantage. They've got a lot of time in practice and preseason and offseason. High schools - hell, middle schools - can and do design a few plays each week which are outside the "base stuff".

I maintain that even if these types of plays are unsuccessful, in the long-run, they can be helpful in terms of giving the defensive players things to think about such as to stay home on the weak side because of the threat of a reverse or counter (which isn't really outside the norm, or shouldn't be).

I'm not sure how many times we have to run a dive against a brick wall until we figure out that it isn't working. I think we can all agree we are rarely going to line up and just out-athletic or out-size legit opponents. When we have that advantage it is against Alcorn State, Tulane, etc., and we see the results against them. When we play Clemson, Miami, Va Tech, etc., we have to use the advantages that we have - or, should have - which is intelligence.

Just as an example only as I'm not saying we have to do this 622 times a game, but how many times do you have to practice a screen pass (or a bubble screen to a WR which we never see) before you feel comfortable doing it? I'd like to think we have smart enough guys who can understand it and then execute it.

Question for you alcoholic lesbians...Is our offense complex or is it simple? I have a viewpoint on it, but I'd really like to read your thoughts first.

Empirical evidence during the CPJ era at GT suggests that the offense is complex to execute properly because it runs great when it's loaded with 5th year seniors ;). And conversely it looks like a pile of poo when it's loaded with underclassmen. The OL blocking certainly looks a lot more complicated than the zone blocking you see in most other offenses, but it is unclear to me why it should be so damn difficult to learn. And if this is a fundamental trait of what CPJ runs, that is a detractor. It means that disruptions in your personnel pipeline could lead to disastrous seasons. I have a more positive outlook than you do mate, but I will admit that this bugs me quite a bit.

I get it. I really do. What I also think is if the playbook was opened up some, it very well may open up things for the base stuff. I refuse to believe that we can't successfully design some plays outside of our norm and execute them. We have smart kids. Let's use that to our advantage. They've got a lot of time in practice and preseason and offseason. High schools - hell, middle schools - can and do design a few plays each week which are outside the "base stuff".

I maintain that even if these types of plays are unsuccessful, in the long-run, they can be helpful in terms of giving the defensive players things to think about such as to stay home on the weak side because of the threat of a reverse or counter (which isn't really outside the norm, or shouldn't be).

I'm not sure how many times we have to run a dive against a brick wall until we figure out that it isn't working. I think we can all agree we are rarely going to line up and just out-athletic or out-size legit opponents. When we have that advantage it is against Alcorn State, Tulane, etc., and we see the results against them. When we play Clemson, Miami, Va Tech, etc., we have to use the advantages that we have - or, should have - which is intelligence.

Just as an example only as I'm not saying we have to do this 622 times a game, but how many times do you have to practice a screen pass (or a bubble screen to a WR which we never see) before you feel comfortable doing it? I'd like to think we have smart enough guys who can understand it and then execute it.

Question for you alcoholic lesbians...Is our offense complex or is it simple? I have a viewpoint on it, but I'd really like to read your thoughts first.
Depends it is simple and complex. The blocking Schemes can be complex if the wrong blocking scheme is called and they have more blocking schemes then most teams. If your playing a very good defense it can be hard to get to the second level (LB's). The WR's and A-backs have to make their blocks or you beating your head against the wall going outside. Remember CPJ counts missed assignments but that does not mean you didn't or couldn't block your man it means you blocked the wrong player. So if a guard missed his block and the tackle had a miss assignment then you look like we did last week. Also a problem we have is that teams like VT and Clemson practice how to Defeat the cut block by pushing the OL to the ground or lining up 2 yards off the line of scrimmage . I had no idea what they tell them to do in this case I would hope they would go to a power block. Listening the to OL coach they count Knock down plays which can be a bad thing making them wanting to cut block when it may be better to power block.
But in the end I don't really have any idea what the coaches teach or say to the players so all this could just be crap. ( and it took a long time to type this on my phone)

The sins of thy soul have been purged.
Obviously, posting free information that is on the web or given to me by my own personal sources, resources, built up by residing in this area for over one-half of a century-is a threat. Will never subscribe to any paywalls, mainly to not violate them. Never have!

This is for enjoyment only. At least that is my reasoning and intent.

Reactions: Texwood
Who knows? No notifications. No warnings. No explanation. Account deleted. My names from other sites were taken(just like last year when I joined over here). I mean who else is kjmc or buzzbomb. I've tried buzzbomb1, which is already taken.

Maybe the Russians are behind this conspiracy theory. My yahoo account keeps getting warnings that someone in Mexico has tried to sign in-which keeps being stated...."averted". That message should be approved by Donald Trump. Smile?

Reactions: Texwood
Ahhhh, OK. Same person, just different name, yes?
Yes, sir.

You can give me the litmus test, but please allow Stech81 to administer the breathalyzer. I also feel more comfortable trying to walk a straight line while he is the examiner.

Swofford owns a pink dress. Decatur St. Darlings are da bomb!

Random Friday Factoid...

...in Tech's opening defensive possession in all 4 games this season, we have yet to get a 3-and-out. Going back to last season, the Cesspool also got a first down on their first play from scrimmage. We have to go back to our next-to-last game of the season a year ago (at Miami coincidentally) to find a defensive opening series resulting in a 3-and-out-and-punt.

I imagine Spray Tan Boy has the first series scripted and it will be a challenge for our guys coming out of the locker room. We've given up opening drive TD's in each of our last 2 games - though settled down after it...especially against Vandy's sorry offense. Hopefully CTR and crew will come out and make some plays early to avoid us getting down early. Our D (notice I said "our" and not "they", "them" or "those guys") has proven we get better as the game progresses. Hoping we can play better in the 1Q.

Tech has given up 28 points in the 1Q thru 4 games this season. We've given up 29 in the other 3 quarters COMBINED!! Think about that for a second.

first quarter is definitely the hardest for the defense. Some of that is the inexperience of the young players. Hopefully they will start settling into the defense quicker as the season goes along.

IT'S GAME DAY!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JACKETS!!!!!

DJ IN DA CLUB Rock HornsDRUNK BUDDIESRED WINEBANANA SPLITSclapBANANA DANCEBANANA DARK HAIREDBANANA DEVILBANANA LASSO

Overcast skies at BDS during the game today with kickoff temp at 66 and only getting up to 72 by 4Q.

a0b8a78.gif

Yes they do and today youth doesn't hold much water as an excuse. Both of Miami's starting tackles are true sophs, both three star recruits coming out. All three of Miami's linebackers are true freshmen (two 4-star, one 3-star). The ends are usually optioned so these five are the ones the OL needs to get a hat on most of the time.

Recipe for victory in play right now. No surprise we gave up a TD on Miami's first possession. We have a bad habit of that and STB had 2 weeks to script the first drive. Hopefully, the D will settle in now and play some good ball now that the 1Q is over.

2 good time-consuming drives by the offense. Need more of that. Wear out the Miami D. Keep ours fresh. Good good good so far.

Crossing pattern throws less than 10 yards down the field...our version of a bubble screen...love it.

Open this offense up. Do more of it. Will make our base stuff better.

I like what I see. Less predictable. Win or lose.

YAY!

This running attack by the Canes was what I was worried about. I actually am more confident right now when I see Kaaya drop to pass. CTR had better do something about slowing this running game down or their massive O-Line will just push us around the rest of the day. Losing 2 starting DT's doesn't help. Hopefully, they can get back in there.

Play action is set up perfectly for STB right now to try a deep one. Our safeties are going to likely start cheating up to support the run. Ugh. Need a score here before half. Canes get the ball to start the 2nd half.

Uh oh. This may get ugly fast now.

I don't understand the formation on that play to start with. We had 2 guys split to the left but both were on the LOS. That essentially takes the inside WR out of the play as far as a receiving threat. Odd.

Good grief. Miami's offense doesn't need to score. Our offense will give them all the points they need.

After a good start, bad play returns. This time, it's turnovers. My goodness.

A pair of really poor decisions from our 5th year senior QB. On the first one, he somehow didn't read the overload on the left where they brought more than could be blocked - and it wasn't disguised in the least. Second one you just have to eat it when you slip down like that. Not what you expect from a seasoned veteran. Puts the game out of reach.

Less the 2 ridiculous giveaways, I like the offensive attack much better than anything we've seen all season...and maybe all last year. Far less predictable. More wide open. Smart passes. New wrinkles. Should make the "base stuff" better. Hope this is a thing to come for the remainder of the season and the future.

I enjoyed watching our offense more than since 2014 in that first half...less the 2 giveaways of course.

They were running the base stuff effectively too. Sharpest we have looked against an athletic defense in a long time. I expect to see Parker Braun listed as the starting RG for the remainder of the season. Remove those giveaways and we are right in this game with a chance for the win.

Three and out to start the 2nd half! NICE! Really like to see Cerge get the start in this game. He's our best 1-technique and it puts Gamble over at the three which is where he is best.

Nice drive. Mills has a nose for the endzone.

Right back in this. Need the D to get another stop here. Offense gaining confidence.

Funny the Miami lovefest by the ex-Canes ESPN studio guys while Tech drove the ball down their throats. LOL!

I was laughing my ass off as those fools were talking up Miami's defense as they were getting gashed for big chunks in the background. That needs to end up on YouTube.

backpedalbackpedalbackpedalbackpedal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT