ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Post-season Thread

I found drinking helps.

It did! I'm over it now though and looking forward to seeing our new coach get our recruits recommitted. Really looking forward to seeing who he targets on the transfer scene.

Per ACJ 3:30 news sorry can't copy and paste on phone . Guess it is a done deal.

Well, at least this should be easily fixable:

A graduate of Arizona with multiple degrees who spent nearly a decade there as an assistant coach, he made five hires at Memphis of assistant coaches who’d been associated with him during his time with the Wildcats, including one such person twice. None of those assistants had more experience than Pastner. None had any reason to understand the peculiarities of the Memphis talent scene. One, Luke Walton, was hired to a full-time position while locked out from his job as an NBA player. When the lockout ended, so did that absurd experiment.

LINK TO ARTICLE

Well, at least this should be easily fixable:

A graduate of Arizona with multiple degrees who spent nearly a decade there as an assistant coach, he made five hires at Memphis of assistant coaches who’d been associated with him during his time with the Wildcats, including one such person twice. None of those assistants had more experience than Pastner. None had any reason to understand the peculiarities of the Memphis talent scene. One, Luke Walton, was hired to a full-time position while locked out from his job as an NBA player. When the lockout ended, so did that absurd experiment.

LINK TO ARTICLE

Can Bobinski help him put together a coaching staff?

BTW, this opinion piece doesn't make me feel any better about Pastner...

Can Bobinski help him put together a coaching staff?

BTW, this opinion piece doesn't make me feel any better about Pastner...

It does for me. I didn't start in a happy place.

If his only issues were hiring inexperienced staff and not understanding how to handle players, I think that stuff shows he was not mature enough yet. Hiring only young cronies screams immaturity or insecurity. He is getting older so there is hope. A change in scenery can help speed up the process.

It is clear that the most important thing for GT right now is recruiting. That has upgraded substantially in theory.

It does for me. I didn't start in a happy place.

If his only issues were hiring inexperienced staff and not understanding how to handle players, I think that stuff shows he was not mature enough yet. Hiring only young cronies screams immaturity or insecurity. He is getting older so there is hope. A change in scenery can help speed up the process.

It is clear that the most important thing for GT right now is recruiting. That has upgraded substantially in theory.

Same here, thanks for posting that article. Hope he has the budget and will to bring in some experienced and highly regarded assistants. I wouldn't mind seeing Tom Herrion retained.

I don't feel comfortable with a coach who has struggled to hire good assistants who then goes on to hire a HS coach so his sons will attend Memphis???

Is that the real story behind Keelon Lawson?

Looks like he was an AAU coach at the same time he was a HS coach 2000-2014. I guess that's ok, not sure how the schedules mesh together there.

It may have been a legit hire, but it looks awfully suspicious.

We judge coaches on their past history and have seen that the future doesn't stray too far from their prior decisions. Hopefully this is just a coincidence.

I don't feel comfortable with a coach who has struggled to hire good assistants who then goes on to hire a HS coach so his sons will attend Memphis??? Is that the real story behind Keelon Lawson?

Looks like he was an AAU coach at the same time he was a HS coach 2000-2014. I guess that's ok, not sure how the schedules mesh together there.

It may have been a legit hire, but it looks awfully suspicious.

We judge coaches on their past history and have seen that the future doesn't stray to far from their prior decisions. Hopefully this is just a coincidence.

Do you have heartburn with the half dozen or so best buddies of HS recruiting targets we signed by Cremins who were on scholarship at Tech...not to mention the many others we offered the same deal to and they didn't sign with us?

Mark Price's best friend from Enid was on scholarship at Tech and was a team manager. A bunch of us from Perry Dorm used to play basketball with him on Sunday nights in the Ronald McMammary Gland. That is fact.

Is Cremins history at Tech tainted using your logic above? Everything Cremins did was within the rules. I imagine it was with CJP as well or Memphis would be in trouble or at least investigated.

Side note...former Southern Miss and Tennessee (for 1 year) HC Donnie Tyndall has been hit with a 10-year show-cause penalty by the NCAA. Among other transgressions, he reportedly hired people to do homework for his players while at USM. Funny. The Cheaters have systemically conducted similar and blatant fraud for 20 years and they probably won't get more than a slap on the wrist from the NCAA...if anything at all.

Do you have heartburn with the half dozen or so best buddies of HS recruiting targets we signed by Cremins who were on scholarship at Tech...not to mention the many others we offered the same deal to and they didn't sign with us?

Mark Price's best friend from Enid was on scholarship at Tech and was a team manager. A bunch of us from Perry Dorm used to play basketball with him on Sunday nights in the Ronald McMammary Gland. That is fact.

So the first question was copied from a comment elsewhere.

it was not about a situation of offering a scholarship to a friend of a recruit? In fact in earlier comments about this subject I said I thought that was a prudent use of scholarships if a coach was only going to play 7-8 players.

No I was asking about hiring the parent of 2 recruits...

Asking for clarification of something that was stated. Especially since most people are saying that one of Pastner's biggest weaknesses is hiring assistants.

Your message casts suspicions about CJP as if he is doing something sleazy. The facts I posted about Cremins are in the same vein as what CJP is being stated as doing, if in fact true...which if it is, then it is no different than what Cremins did. That is, finding someone near a stud recruit you are wanting to sign and providing some sort of added incentive to close the sale. While one is talking about a parent and the other is talking about a close friend, they are the same scenario in terms of offering someone else close to the recruiting target something of financial value. No difference at all. Cremins did not break any rules. Doesn't appear to me CJP did either. If CJP can be anywhere near as effective at recruiting within the rules as Cremins was, we are in for some fun times on the horizon.

You hit on the truth there. They never have lined up to come here.

One thing you and others have been saying that I totally disagree with is that the ACC is harder now. It isn't. It is harder to win the conference due to sheer numbers but there are constantly 4-6 bad teams in the league now. Who it is changes a little bit by year, but the bottom is not good. The 2004 ACC was far better than now. 7 out of 9 teams were in kenpom's top 25. This year was 5 out of 15.

I think expansion has damaged the ACC as a whole and really damaged the bottom. So where I think your conclusion is correct for the wrong reason is that the league isn't as attractive because there is a clear third tier in the conference now that did not exist previously. Unfortunately, due to bad coaching decisions (The Extension, the bad hire plus Extension 2) have put us into tier 3 in most people's mind.

We should be able to get out of tier 3 into tier 2, where we belong, with even decent recruiting.

Hmm... I can see both ways, personally. I'd like to see you expand on your assertion that the ACC is not harder now. We may just amicably disagree here.

My criterion for "harder" is purely getting to the NCAAT.

As of today, the ACC has six teams (almost half) that haven't had an NCAA bid in at least 4 years: since 2012 (FSU, Clemson, Wake, GT, BC, and VPI). This roughly corresponds to the latest expansion, which happened in 2013.

Since 2000...
BC had been there in 2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, and 09, the latter three were all in the ACC prior to the last expansion.
FSU had been there in 2009, 10, 11, and 12, all prior to expansion.
GT had been there in 2001, 04, 05, 07, and 10, all prior to expansion.
CU had been there in 2008, 09, 10, and 11, all prior to expansion.
WFU had been there in 2001, 02, 03 , 04, 05, 09, and 10, all prior to expansion.
VPI has been there only in 2007, nothing more to say about them.

Four teams (FSU, GT, CU, and WFU) all had bids at least as late as 2010. To me this is pretty good evidence to support the notion that it is harder to get to the NCAAT since the last expansion. VPI and BC surely didn't help, particularly VPI, but the latest expansion has done nothing but help ACC power. It's VPI/BC and those four from the old ACC that are hurting.

But, there's certainly room to differ.

Last edited:
Hmm... I can see both ways, personally. I'd like to see you expand on your assertion that the ACC is not harder now. We may just amicably disagree here.

My criterion for "harder" is purely getting to the NCAAT.

As of today, the ACC has six teams (almost half) that haven't had an NCAA bid in at least 4 years: since 2012 (FSU, Clemson, Wake, GT, BC, and VPI). This roughly corresponds to the latest expansion, which happened in 2013.

Since 2000...
BC had been there in 2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, and 09, the latter three were all in the ACC prior to the last expansion.
FSU had been there in 2009, 10, 11, and 12, all prior to expansion.
GT had been there in 2001, 04, 05, 07, and 10, all prior to expansion.
CU had been there in 2008, 09, 10, and 11, all prior to expansion.
WFU had been there in 2001, 02, 03 , 04, 05, 09, and 10, all prior to expansion.
VPI has been there only in 2007, nothing more to say about them.

Four teams (FSU, GT, CU, and WFU) all had bids at least as late as 2010. To me this is pretty good evidence to support the notion that it is harder to get to the NCAAT since the last expansion.

But, there's certainly room to differ.

My take is that the ACC used to get a much higher percentage in the tournament because there weren't many bad teams. Since expansion, the ACC has had some really bad basketball coaches. It is hard to call Wake pre-Bzzy the same team as the one it became instantly with that change, for example.

Teams aren't static. GT hasn't been getting in because it hasn't been good.

Your message casts suspicions about CJP as if he is doing something sleazy. The facts I posted about Cremins are in the same vein as what CJP is being stated as doing, if in fact true...which if it is, then it is no different than what Cremins did. That is, finding someone near a stud recruit you are wanting to sign and providing some sort of added incentive to close the sale. While one is talking about a parent and the other is talking about a close friend, they are the same scenario in terms of offering someone else close to the recruiting target something of financial value. No difference at all. Cremins did not break any rules. Doesn't appear to me CJP did either. If CJP can be anywhere near as effective at recruiting within the rules as Cremins was, we are in for some fun times on the horizon.

What coaches did Cremins or Johnson hire to attract their sons?

None. What friends of players did CJP give scholarships to with the purpose of signing that player...or, the many others that didn't eventually sign with Memphis?

Assistants are hired to bring players every day. What is the difference if it's a package deal. Happens in football recruiting often. Isn't Robertson trying to help navigate a track schollie for his sister right now?

None. What friends of players did CJP give scholarships to with the purpose of signing that player...or, the many others that didn't eventually sign with Memphis?
NCAA rules suggest the things you are calling the same are actually different things. One is punishable, the other isn't.

obviously you don't have a problem with it. I was asking for clarification and pretty much got it.

One of Pastner's best recruits (who declared for the NBA last week) came because his dad was hired. I don't think GTAA would let happen. I think GT's compliance personnel would advise against it. Just another recruiting hurdle coaches at GT must overcome.

My take is that the ACC used to get a much higher percentage in the tournament because there weren't many bad teams. Since expansion, the ACC has had some really bad basketball coaches. It is hard to call Wake pre-Bzzy the same team as the one it became instantly with that change, for example.

Teams aren't static. GT hasn't been getting in because it hasn't been good.

I totally agree that we should be in the middle third (6-10) in the new ACC. That should be our expectation. That would get us into the Dance maybe every 2-3 years.

But it's not going to be like it was back in SHW's heyday - 9 straight (1985-93). Back then 5-6 of 8/9 teams made the Dance. That's half to two-thirds of the conference. The conference may have been tougher top to bottom in those days, but there are now in addition to UNC and Dook, Louisville and Syracuse, both of whom have won national championships since 2003. So you have those four and you still have UVA, Pitt, ND, and Miami. That says nothing of FSU, NCSU and Clemson.

Anyway, now that number is typically 6-7 of 15. That's about one-third to less than half of the conference. To me it's a numbers game. Yes, we have more bad teams, but some one is going to be in those 11-15 spots, and those teams won't be going to the NCAAT.

Reportedly, Memphis' top name to hire now is...

...Gregg Marshall. That'll be fun to watch.

I don't know if Memphis has a Brink's Truck to back up to his house in Wichita, but they probably do have a lot of FedEx trucks at their disposal. ;)

popcorn

NCAA rules suggest the things you are calling the same are actually different things. One is punishable, the other isn't.

obviously you don't have a problem with it. I was asking for clarification and pretty much got it.

One of Pastner's best recruits (who declared for the NBA last week) came because his dad was hired. I don't think GTAA would let happen. I think GT's compliance personnel would advise against it. Just another recruiting hurdle coaches at GT must overcome.

What is punishable? It is NOT different at all. Danny Manning's dad got a job years ago to get Danny Manning to Kansas. This is nothing new as Buzzforlife already pointed out. Happens in FB. If it were punishable, Kansas would've been in trouble and Memphis would be too.

I don't have a problem with it, just like I never had a problem with what Cremins did. Seems pretty smart. Tech obviously had no problem with what Cremins was doing 30+ years ago. And, we shouldn't because he wasn't breaking any rules - just like CJP wasn't.

I read the other boards, Memphis included(which I seldom look at those unless it involves a transfer). Still we have our own minds to make up. Can't find anything to disuade me from this guy. Watched them play only a few times this year. Read Shaquille Goodwin's article(Q & A) just the other day, when thinking about CJP.

As JT622 points out, have fun with the "new regime". We are not going back to CBG. Hopefully he lands at U. of Detroit or whatever is best for himself and Susan.

Reportedly, Memphis' top name to hire now is...

...Gregg Marshall. That'll be fun to watch.

I don't know if Memphis has a Brink's Truck to back up to his house in Wichita, but they probably do have a lot of FedEx trucks at their disposal. ;)

popcorn
They couldn't come up with the $10M to fire Pastner, so who knows.

Gregory is available, maybe they can swap houses.

I don't think there is a set number of teams per league that get into the tournament. If the ACC were as good top to bottom as it was in 2004 (just a particularly loaded year for example), it would get 10 teams in, if not more.

Is Cremins history at Tech tainted using your logic above? Everything Cremins did was within the rules. I imagine it was with CJP as well or Memphis would be in trouble or at least investigated.

Side note...former Southern Miss and Tennessee (for 1 year) HC Donnie Tyndall has been hit with a 10-year show-cause penalty by the NCAA. Among other transgressions, he reportedly hired people to do homework for his players while at USM. Funny. The Cheaters have systemically conducted similar and blatant fraud for 20 years and they probably won't get more than a slap on the wrist from the NCAA...if anything at all.

It's this kind of stuff that makes my head explode. We get an ACC championship taken away for $230 worth of clothes that were returned, and USM coach gets this, yet what have the Cheats gotten? Self forfeiture of an ACC CG and a crummy bowl and a handful of scholies?

I don't think there is a set number of teams per league that get into the tournament. If the ACC were as good top to bottom as it was in 2004 (just a particularly loaded year for example), it would get 10 teams in, if not more.

You may be right, we'll see.

I think the number is at least 1.

Rumors are circulating that GT is getting a really good financial deal with the Pastner contract. Details remain non-existent. Stay tuned ......

Rumors are circulating that GT is getting a really good financial deal with the Pastner contract. Details remain non-existent. Stay tuned ......

Here's hoping Pastner is paying us to coach here.

(maybe too optimistic?)

DRUNK BUDDIES

Early observation...

...it is easy to get "CPJ" and "CJP" mixed up. Well, when typing initials on a message board. Let's hope CJP's team passes the ball more. And, well, hopefully he (CJP) will smile as often and rely heavily on recruiting rankings like CPJ. FLASHER

Anxiously awaiting details!! Let's see how well MBob used the leverage he had from their desperation to get Pastner's contract off the books.

Is he working for the buyout Memphis is paying him? That would be a good deal for us, especially since we are paying salaries for two guys working for other organizations.

You gotta love the state of modern college athletics.

Is he working for the buyout Memphis is paying him? That would be a good deal for us, especially since we are paying salaries for two guys working for other organizations.

You gotta love the state of modern college athletics.

I don't know the details but my guess is that Memphis will pay GT something, either lump sum or over the length of the contract, to hire Pastner so they don't have to pay him the existing contract. Pastner doesn't have a buyout, as I understand it, but has a fully guaranteed contract, like Hewitt without the rollover.

I don't know the details but my guess is that Memphis will pay GT something, either lump sum or over the length of the contract, to hire Pastner so they don't have to pay him the existing contract. Pastner doesn't have a buyout, as I understand it, but has a fully guaranteed contract, like Hewitt without the rollover.

OK, so what are you doing typing on this site? Get busy finding out the details.

That financial package, if true, would be poetic justice for Tech and would give me better feelings for Bobinski. Seems like a win-win for everybody involved.

I can just hear Bobinski prepping CJP prior to the press conference now...

"Look Josh, here's 3 things that will win Tech fans over immediately...One, say TO HELL WITH GEORGIA a lot. These clowns eat that shit up. Second, say you just hope you can be half as good as Bobby Cremins here...these clowns live in the past and worship Bobby. Finally, when Mark Bradley from the AJC asks you a question, tell him to go to hell. You'll be aces."

:D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT