ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Post-season Thread

I've used up my free articles on AJC, but I bet he's talking about how well GT did late in the season, but it being too little too late and that the recruiting hasn't been what it should be. GT needs to make a move if it is going to get back in the ACC. I am sure he probably blows off the financial issues as something that GT fans must just handle.

My take, Bobinski looks at the financial situation, doesn't get commitments for the salary he wants to offer, decides the results of the 20+ win season deserves another year or two.

I am really hoping that Gregory finds a couple transfer guards, especially a point. The team really needs it to keep the momentum going.

Do you prefer the recruiting talk here or in the one labeled "late period, April 2016"?

Doesn't matter. I read 'em all and there aren't many of us here. Just for giggles, post something in one of Mooch's threads. DRUNK BUDDIES

I am really hoping that Gregory finds a couple transfer guards, especially a point. The team really needs it to keep the momentum going.

That's one way to say it. This team needs more than a couple of transfer guards to be competitive. I expect a few roster slots to open up, which hopefully leads to at least 4 grad transfers.

Now if you mean by momentum yet another below .500 season in the league and another season without a real tournament bid, two transfer guards can probably keep that going. ;)

If Bobinski plans to make a change, I imagine he will announce something today or tomorrow. He may already be working behind the scenes (this assumes he is alive of course) lining up potential candidates. The coaches convention at the Final 4 is always a great opportunity to interview a bunch of candidates at one time.

Don't count on him right away. He is very deliberate. Remember last year at this time?

I spoke to him about an issue when he first took over, and gave him my number. He got back to me, this past August.

I wonder if Bobby Cremins would coach the team for 2-3 years for free?

RED WINE

Drink up, my friends. We're gonna need it.

SMOKING HOOKAH

Doesn't matter. I read 'em all and there aren't many of us here. Just for giggles, post something in one of Mooch's threads. DRUNK BUDDIES
Since a moderator from another site, a few close friends who follow Tech Recruiting, maybe the non-editorial parts should continue in that thread(it is currently one page, and at the top, I am listing the early signees with room for the late ones). If we overlap that is fine or cool with me.

Whatever you desire, mate. It's just a message board. We have no quality manual. We aren't ISO 9001 registered (thank Buddha). There are no standard operating procedures.

In the words of my favorite band of all time, Depeche Mode... enjoy the silence!

HIPPY DIPPY

I think CBC has finally had enough. His health issues are a concern, if he starts back up with the grind. Told him how busy Al stayed, almost until the end, compromising his own health matters. Bobby looked at me like a New Yorker protecting his wallet on 52nd St., and declared:"You're right"!

No. Quality registrations are for the other guys.

"Quantity, not quality" is our mantra.

But, we damn well have a lot to offer that I haven't seen anywhere else. If you need to know how to burn your CD's to a gaming system or other junk like that, we gotcha covered. Thanks, Mooch!

Plus, we have more interesting emoticons.

FLASHER

That's one way to say it. This team needs more than a couple of transfer guards to be competitive. I expect a few roster slots to open up, which hopefully leads to at least 4 grad transfers.

Now if you mean by momentum yet another below .500 season in the league and another season without a real tournament bid, two transfer guards can probably keep that going. ;)

I was just speaking to the current open roster positions. If as you suggest, two do open up, then yes, upgrading 2 more positions will certainly be useful.

And momentum is the word I chose to describe the improvement from last year to this year. It was a positive move, having a season that is one of the best in the last decade is something to build upon. Since the fans don't seem to be interested in forking over the money needed to solve the financial issues, through donations, seat licenses, ticket sales, etc, it is not logical to expect a step change with a new coach. If it happens, I will be shocked. So without that as a reasonable option, slow and steady improvement would be welcome. Two years in a row of 8 ACC wins and 20+ total wins has not happened in a while, I'd like to see it happen next year. Maybe they can do better, depends on how the team looks and if the coaches can gather the players needed to make it happen.

I suspect that most people are just fine running the program in the ground so the financial situation gets worse. The most important factor right now is what Bobinski offers Gregory in the extension. Will he be shrewd about it or will he give into Gregory's agent. Last time was a mistake, let's see if he makes a better decision now. IMO, if he doesn't then we are better off keeping Gregory, getting a new AD and letting the new AD make the hire. Which is pretty much what I have told the President.

Last edited:
Don't count on him right away. He is very deliberate. Remember last year at this time?

I spoke to him about an issue when he first took over, and gave him my number. He got back to me, this past August.

And he's going to satisfy his bosses wishes, not the fans. APR, academics and representing the school with a clean program are the #1 priorities. Gregory has fulfilled those requirements admirably.

Wins and filling the stadium comes after balancing the budget.... Regardless of what is spoken in public, Hewitt's grind stone is still around GTAAs neck and it continues to weigh on every decision.

And he's going to satisfy his bosses wishes, not the fans. APR, academics and representing the school with a clean program are the #1 priorities. Gregory has fulfilled those requirements admirably.

Wins and filling the stadium comes after balancing the budget.... Regardless of what is spoken in public, Hewitt's grind stone is still around GTAAs neck and it continues to weigh on every decision.

If all that is true, then we...

1) don't need to pay $700 grand for an AD. We have the smallest athletic program in the ACC. We can find someone much cheaper to assure we are good in APR, academics, and representing the school with a clean program.

2) don't need to pay more than $300 grand for a MBB coach. We obviously don't care about anything but football at Tech anymore (apparently) and can find someone much cheaper to assure we are good in APR, academics, and representing the school with a clean program.

In fact, I will do both jobs for $250K right now. It will be a pay cut for me, but I will do it for the good of my alma mater.

Just heed warning now though, I'm killing about 75% of the athletic programs at Tech in my first 30 days on the job. (I've been watching a lot of Republican debates to get my dull and delusional on)

:D

We have an AD at Tech?

Yes. And he costs about 700 grand a year. To break that down more, that is...

- 58.3K per month
-13.5K per week
-1.9K per day
-$79.90 per hour based on 24 hours (so, he gets about 1,500 bucks a day while sleeping)
-$19.78 per daytime nap

Of course, this all assumes he is actually alive. To which, we are probably paying him to be dead. For such a smart group of people Tech supposedly has, we absolutely suck at concocting contracts and salary management for our athletics association.

To be one of the highest paid AD's with one of the two smallest athletic programs in the ACC is a pretty good gig for anybody...especially somebody who is either dead or takes daytime naps about 10 to 12 times a day.

Yes. And he costs about 700 grand a year. To break that down more, that is...

- 58.3K per month
-13.5K per week
-1.9K per day
-$79.90 per hour based on 24 hours (so, he gets about 1,500 bucks a day while sleeping)
-$19.78 per daytime nap

Of course, this all assumes he is actually alive. To which, we are probably paying him to be dead. For such a smart group of people Tech supposedly has, we absolutely suck at concocting contracts and salary management for our athletics association.

To be one of the highest paid AD's with one of the two smallest athletic programs in the ACC is a pretty good gig for anybody...especially somebody who is either dead or takes daytime naps about 10 to 12 times a day.
For a lot less they could hire both of us .

If all that is true, then we...

1) don't need to pay $700 grand for an AD. We have the smallest athletic program in the ACC. We can find someone much cheaper to assure we are good in APR, academics, and representing the school with a clean program.

2) don't need to pay more than $300 grand for a MBB coach. We obviously don't care about anything but football at Tech anymore (apparently) and can find someone much cheaper to assure we are good in APR, academics, and representing the school with a clean program.

In fact, I will do both jobs for $250K right now. It will be a pay cut for me, but I will do it for the good of my alma mater.

Just heed warning now though, I'm killing about 75% of the athletic programs at Tech in my first 30 days on the job. (I've been watching a lot of Republican debates to get my dull and delusional on)

:D
I don't disagree, but based on the limited conversations I have had and the actions of those making the decisions, I don't think I am far off. As long as GT isn't scraping the bottom of the league in everything every year, I think the decision makers are ok. they want to avoid academic issues from the past like they are plague. I think as long as you stay away from the UNC type academic fraud, giving a few kids a chance to make it work academically at GT isn't a bad risk. If a few fail at it, that's expected. GT is a tough place. But that's not their attitude and the coaches they seem to like are the ones who accept that and try to make it work best they can athletically.

wish it were different.

I figured if he was going to do it, it would be announced yesterday or today.

Maybe Bobinski wasn't lying when he said a year ago to Mark Bradley and Ken Seguira that money isn't an issue in this decision. Now, we get to see Bobinski's potential era-making decision as AD at Tech.

He came into Tech with the label of being a guru in this exact situation - that is, picking HC's.

I figured if he was going to do it, it would be announced yesterday or today.

Maybe Bobinski wasn't lying when he said a year ago to Mark Bradley and Ken Seguira that money isn't an issue in this decision. Now, we get to see Bobinski's potential era-making decision as AD at Tech.

He came into Tech with the label of being a guru in this exact situation - that is, picking HC's.

This is for you:
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 2m 2 minutes ago
Look for Georgia Tech AD Mike Bobinski to swing at Xavier's Chris Mack and Dayton's Archie Miller. swing and a miss. But worth a shot.

Brian Snow ‏@BSnowScout 23m 23 minutes ago
Bobinski hired Thad Matta & Chris Mack without a search firm, and had the deal in place to make sure X hired Sean Miller as well

Thanks, mate. I'm thinking we should go after Red Auerbach or John Wooden. Norm Van Brocklin is off the table I hear. You?

This is amusing... http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/hunter-declines-to-comment-on-georgia-tech-vacancy/nqsS2/

Of course, Doug Roberson might be the worst journalist the AJC has ever seen...and THAT is saying something.

I particularly laughed at this one...

He has also become adept at bringing back players from Atlanta who went to college elsewhere.

Uhhhh...Brian Gregory was good at that too. Golden, Jacobs, Smith, White....

Ron Hunter is as much a candidate for this job as I am.

I'm not a basketball guy, don't know how good the players are coming back next year. So the question , how long do you give the new coach if your the AD?

I'm not a basketball guy, don't know how good the players are coming back next year. So the question , how long do you give the new coach if your the AD?

Knowing Tech's history of late, whoever we sign will be for 20 years, clauses that require us to pay for a decade when we fire, 20 grand per win over cupcakes, and a whopping 100 grand bonus for making the NIT.

*SIGH*

(seriously, the head coach deserves 4 years...just like Gregory did and got...I'll never understand the 5th year he was given)

Just heard that Bobinski has fired Gregory.

I didn't think he'd do it. 3 coaches on the payroll.... AAARRRRGGGGHHHH

Hope this serves as a loooong reminder about stupid contracts. Still not convinced we can afford to hire a top-shelf guy. We'll see. Maybe his cell phone was burning a hole in his pocket. Who knows. Whatever, we don't need a fourth in two years, so make it good one, Bob.

Reactions: stech81
Who do you consider examples to be of a "top shelf guy"? Just curious.

Who do you consider examples to be of a "top shelf guy"? Just curious.

Well, since you asked... Coach K, Roy Williams, John Wooden.

I think we're looking at perhaps a Bryce Drew at Valpo. Have no idea how much money we have to spend. However, I heard that we negotiated with CPH for him to take $500K a year until 2030, and that did the trick.

There is likely a lot more money at Bobinski's disposal than commonly gets thrown around (or lack of money that is). I've never subscribed to the popular opinion that we are broke and/or cannot raise the money if needed.

Bryce Drew? No thanks. Bobinski had better do a whoooooole lot better than that.

There is likely a lot more money at Bobinski's disposal than commonly gets thrown around (or lack of money that is). I've never subscribed to the popular opinion that we are broke and/or cannot raise the money if needed.

Bryce Drew? No thanks. Bobinski had better do a whoooooole lot better than that.

I have no idea. Who would you suggest? I know of no P5 conference coach worth his salt who wants to come to GA Tech. You got names?

LOL... so the Hive five aren't pessimistic enough for you?

No chance on Bryce Drew, for Tech's sake and our sanity.
Archie Miller will stay put, and that makes me happy.
Chris Mack is too expensive, now!

I would throw the moon at Gregg Marshall and Jay Wright...get ready for rejection!!

Price is right on Mark or Noodles(not the Raman kind), Craig is the more expensive of the two.

JT622 hit the years on the head, 4.

Would Matt Painter of Purdue energize this fan base? I really like him, under the non-alum category.

Do you think Billy Donovan would leave Ok. City and leave the NBA for the sanity of a college job? Is there any possible way we could afford him? How much LOC is on that card Stech81?

A few ideas for the new coach, in hiring new assistants that have a Ga. Tech background:
Javaris Crittenton - Shooting Coach
Glen Rice Jr. - Assistant Shooting Coach
Solomon Poole - Director of Pub. Relations
White, rich alum who offered Starbury a lifetime of cheesecake-Bail Bondsman for the staff

Now, you have to hire Bryce Drew. He is like a Funeral Director waiting to buy a Cemetary Park, and he will attract recruits who are "dying" to get in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT