ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Post-season Thread

I have no idea. Who would you suggest? I know of no P5 conference coach worth his salt who wants to come to GA Tech. You got names?

I think you at least have to consider the idea of backing the Brink's Truck (Gregg Marshall's infamous quote a year or two ago) up to Marshall's front door and along with a legit ACC HC's salary, you provide the following enticements and/or hopes...

1. This is your shot to step up into the big time. You and your enormous ego can go against existing Hall of Fame head coaches and potential Hall of Fame head coaches in the making (Tony Bennett, for example) to prove yourself.

2. You have a recruiting hotbed right in your backyard.

3. You are from the southeast and have roots there.

4. The City of Atlanta. You will be rubbing elbows with big money, big city lights, etc. Or, you can stay in a dustbowl.

5. Tech has top notch facilities.

6. MBB has rarely had any issues getting S-A's qualified into Tech.

7. You can win 16-17 games for the next couple of seasons and nobody will be upset. IOW, Tech is so rock bottom and its fanbase will be patient for yet another major rebuilding job.

There's more, but you get the idea. In truth, if we were to land Marshall (and I think it is unlikely quite frankly), he will take some getting used to. He reminds me of guys like Pete Rose. Guys you love having on your side, but guys you'd hate if he isn't on your side. His ego is huge. If played properly, that could be a lure to the ACC. Ego can be a motivator. At this point, if he can win - and he's won everywhere he's been - I'll learn to like him in a hurry...as long as he plays by the rules - and to my knowledge, he has never had any run-ins with the NCAA.

That's just 1 name. And, Bobinski may already know Marshall isn't an option. But, that is the level of guy we should be looking at...otherwise, should have just kept Gregory.

edit note: one more thing...Wichita State has had one of the best backcourt duos in college ball for the past 3 years - Baker & VanFleet. They both just finished their eligibility and I think the Shockers are potentially due to drop a bit without them. The timing might be right when GM looks at his roster. Having said that, he has recruited well and they will always be the team to beat in the Missouri Valley Conference (even without Baker & VanFleet).

I think you at least have to consider the idea of backing the Brink's Truck (Gregg Marshall's infamous quote a year or two ago) up to Marshall's front door and along with a legit ACC HC's salary, you provide the following enticements and/or hopes...

...snip

That's just 1 name. And, Bobinski may already know Marshall isn't an option. But, that is the level of guy we should be looking at...otherwise, should have just kept Gregory.

Well, if we are not concerned about money, then there are many we could make a pitch for. How much is money an issue?

Also, I'm wondering how much the conference run in the NCAAT might have added to Bob's decision. Was the guaranteed extra cash flow the extra straw needed?

A good A.D. can raise the money. To me, it is one of the top 2 or 3 priorities of the job. I take Bobinski at his word when he said a year ago that getting the money to make a coaching change if needed was not an issue (and is not now either).

Tech should be making more money from TV, our cut of a Maryland exit fee, and yes this nice run in the NCAAT helps. We have guys who give many millions to build shiny new facilities (and good for them as we need them) and I think Bobinski can and will tap into those types of resources however needed. Hell, if a goof like DanRad can do it, I'm pretty sure Bobinski can too. Tech has a hell of a lot of millionaires.

The GTAA is not in the red anymore. My suggestion is to slow down worrying about money.

Think more in terms of investment. Think big, be big. Another lackluster name will do nothing for Tech in terms of getting excitement around the program or fannies inside the Gigantic Hooter. More winning obviously leads to better recruiting which leads to more money in the program.

The run in the NCAAT serves 2 purposes - though I don't think Bobinski needed the run to already know: 1) the additional cut of money helps for sure; 2) it reemphasizes the depth and talent in the ACC. And this March Madness run does not include Louisville (who will always be good), Va Tech (who is up and coming thanks to a great hire they made), or FSU (who has a bevy of top notch recruits in house and coming in this fall).

Tech should be making more money from TV, our cut of a Maryland exit fee, and yes this nice run in the NCAAT helps.

To clarify, the cut of the Maryland exit fee came in last school year's distribution (just over $27M). That over $2M sum takes care of the CBG buyout (said to be $1.2M) and then some.

MBob was hired to hire a basketball coach. That is why he was selected by the one donor who made that decision. The time is now.

He said last night money wouldn't hold us back. The inference was that overspending can not guarantee success.

I'm saying a good businessman knows the market, realizes what he has to spend for quality and can sell the great opportunity abound which can make a career.

Bingo. Everything has been put in place for this time. And to your comment, the time is now.

Over the last 5 years, we have rebuilt a shiny new arena. "That guy" built a shiny new practice facility. We've suffered through the cleansing of the pitiful that Blewitt left over. By the way, that is not to say we have a cupboard full of Burger Boys for a new coach to take over...but, I'm more referring to academic progress is much improved and we can see the light of getting off some NCAA infractions eyeballs.

I'm not worried about money. I wasn't this time yesterday and I'm even less now that I know CBG has been fired. I think Tech folks need to stop talking about the money and start talking about (and hopefully getting behind) a big name that will excite and unite this fanbase.

Gregg Marshall played for the Yellow Jackets in college.

(looking for all the karma I can get)

;)

Reactions: Redblood23
I don't know about Price? Need a big name that can recruit and lock up the boarders.
Matt Painter locked up our boarder when he snagged 5 star Caleb Swannigan. Believe he works for an Engineering School in West Lafayette, Indiana. About 8 for 11 in the big dance.

Gregg Marshall played for the Yellow Jackets in college.

(looking for all the karma I can get)

;)
I have been told by a friend of a friend(especially since they bark very clearly), Gregg and his Wife are quite personable, wonderful people. That moniker about being hard to get along with, must be on the court. His players idolize him. It will take 3 m. or more each season....see Paul Johnson, his yearly salary.

It will take 3 m. or more each season....see Paul Johnson, his yearly salary.

Tech should round up the money and pay it. That is what it will take to be relevant again. A sold out Tittie will more than pay for his salary (and his staff), not to mention the tangential monies that come along with it... higher donations to get tickets, concessions, apparel, etc.

Takes money to make money. Pay low, get low. We've been there, done that.

No need to gamble here. If Virginia Tech can dish out 2.3M plus a bunch of other perks to get Buzz Williams, then we can/need do something similar to get Gregg Marshall....or an equivalent type of proven winner.

Tech Hoops is a sleeping cash cow. All it needs is a proven director to steer the winning.

Reactions: Redblood23
Love that steering the cash cow innuendo. Did Ginger teach you that?

We could have had him two coaching searches ago. Someone had to talk to Eddie Fogler, first. What did he ever do nationally for Vandy or USC-east? Some coaching advisor he was.

Can you imagine where we would be today with him? Relevant. Cannot blame him for wanting the money. He has his family ties, huge charitable man and perfect for representing Tech in the inner-city. The players will go to class, and graduate. Exactly what an AD would dream of.

If he says, kiss my Shocker, now!(we snubbed JW too, and the wives are friends)....I turn to Matt Painter.

Mark Bradley opines... http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/bobinskis-tech-task-aim-higher-dont-settle/nqsgJ/

I agree with his sentiment. But then again, I think pretty much everyone is (or should be).

Side note, I have already received emails from 2 of my Cesspool-alma mater uncles advising me they are not pleased about this whole scenario. That is, they both know Tech could hit a major home run here with the right hire and make them even less relevant than they are now. Don't let us down, Bobinski.

I don't think his two dark horse candidates will get hired. An interview maybe, can't say for sure.
Howland just doesn't feel like a fit. Like trying to take a true 11 B foot and squeezing it in a 101/2 C, the break on the instep is off. Korey can recruit, jury still out on coaching(please see Hewitt as in Blewitt, circa Sienna Saints).

Rest of the article is Barking Madley true.

Agree. Howland looks and smells a lot like slimy Jim Harrick. I don't think he even gets a sniff by the other checks and balances Tech has. Plus, he dropped off significantly during his last few years at UCLA while doing some things which raise a huge flag, IMO. He's where he belongs. A rogue SEC school that has no standards. Not a fit.

He'll be 59 in May. Tech can and should do much much better.

Btw, unless Bobinski 1) already has someone in the wings ready to go or 2) is absolutely remarkable at what he's doing...

...don't be surprised if this goes on a while. He's saying 7 to 10 days. That makes sense considering the Final 4 convention is in that time frame.

But, Pitt has a job open. Louisville may have a job opening in the near future. Question marks still out as to whether Pitino will hang 'em up. Another blue blood job in Chapel Hell could open up if they win it all as Roy could retire going out on top. Whether any of these things happen or not, they could stall a guy like Mack or Marshall or whoever I hope we have our sights set high on.

We'll see...

Btw, unless Bobinski 1) already has someone in the wings ready to go or 2) is absolutely remarkable at what he's doing...

...don't be surprised if this goes on a while. He's saying 7 to 10 days. That makes sense considering the Final 4 convention is in that time frame.

But, Pitt has a job open. Louisville may have a job opening in the near future. Question marks still out as to whether Pitino will hang 'em up. Another blue blood job in Chapel Hell could open up if they win it all as Roy could retire going out on top. Whether any of these things happen or not, they could stall a guy like Mack or Marshall or whoever I hope we have our sights set high on.

We'll see...

Yep. Pitino or Williams to Tech You heard it here first.

Top shelf.

Apparently Chris Mack is the first to say no. I suppose it's a good thing that we are going after types who won't come here. Keeping my fingers crossed that someone with a proven track record is willing to at least listen to Bobinski's sales pitch.

I'm still waiting by the phone on a call from Bobinski about the job. I hope he calls before I get too drink and say no . I think with me as the coach we could win 2 games. We do have 2 cupcakes on the Schedule for next year don't we ? If not I can tell everyone we on on the 7 year plan.
Basketball is that sport with the round ball ?

Yep. Pitino or Williams to Tech You heard it here first.

Top shelf.

Pitino Jr. can stay up in the frozen tundra and Gary Williams is probably still drunk and eating chicken wings with those ugly coeds. Wait. You were talking about those 2 guys, right? ;)

I'm still waiting by the phone on a call from Bobinski about the job. I hope he calls before I get too drink and say no . I think with me as the coach we could win 2 games. I think you are too pessimistic. I think you could win 3.

We do have 2 cupcakes on the Schedule for next year don't we ? YES...the Cesspool and Bye.

If not I can tell everyone we on on the 7 year plan. Not impressive enough. We've been on the 10-year plan already and by time we even have a chance at being relevant again, it will likely be more like the 13-year plan. Be creative. Make people have to figure stuff out. Claim you are on a 172 month plan, but due to State of Georgia employment laws you are entitled to and plan to "take 14 or 15 months off during that time to attend to your beer binging."

Basketball is that sport with the round ball ? Yes. But without the spots.

Pitino Jr. can stay up in the frozen tundra and Gary Williams is probably still drunk and eating chicken wings with those ugly coeds. Wait. You were talking about those 2 guys, right? ;)

Absolutely. I heard he's wondering why they have spent so much time in Minnesota, Nebraska and Iowa lately.

I'm doubtful that we will make a hire who is an obvious upgrade over Brian Gregory. I'm still optimistic because we have an AD who is well connected with a solid track record of identifying coaching talent. I'll be excited about whomever is named because of that track record. After said hire, I'd like to see our AD retire.

I'm doubtful that we will make a hire who is an obvious upgrade over Brian Gregory. I'm still optimistic because we have an AD who is well connected with a solid track record of identifying coaching talent. I'll be excited about whomever is named because of that track record. After said hire, I'd like to see our AD retire.

I'm more optimistic than you, mate.

I do laugh at mentions of Rod Balanis (are you kidding me?) and Jay Wright (even he's laughing at anybody mentioning him). Balanis was mentioned in the AJC article. He has/had about as much chance as Mark Price (read: zero). I've seen Wright's name mentioned on this board. That would be like the POTUS resigning to take the job as President of one of the Stan countries.

I do laugh at mentions of Rod Balanis (are you kidding me?) and Jay Wright (even he's laughing at anybody mentioning him). Balanis was mentioned in the AJC article. He has/had about as much chance as Mark Price (read: zero). I've seen Wright's name mentioned on this board. That would be like the POTUS resigning to take the job as President of one of the Stan countries.

Amen to all of that. It is a great job. I have no idea why anyone would think differently, aside from the GT-post shaft reality disorder among our alumni.

Here's to hoping that your optimism is well placed!! I'd love nothing more than to see Bobinski make a big splash with this hire. Fingers crossed, as always....

Well, if Bobinski F's this up, my associates and I will have his legs broken.

Speaking of, we have an Easter Special going on right now. Buy one broken bone and get two free. Perhaps Bobinski can be schedule soon.

Call us at 1-800-BREAKEM so we can service any physical intimidation, disfiguring, or mental anguish needs you may have.

Amen to all of that. It is a great job. I have no idea why anyone would think differently, aside from the GT-post shaft reality disorder among our alumni.

It's a great job that was turned down by a number of candidates the last two times it was open. It has already been turned down once this time. I'm just going by history on this....

Reactions: stech81
Do we know for sure it has been "turned down"? Turned down means an offer was provided.

Now, if someone says they aren't interested, to me, that is different than "turned down". Otherwise, I get your drift.

It's a great job that was turned down by a number of candidates the last two times it was open. It has already been turned down once this time. I'm just going by history on this....

I don't think we know who has turned it down. I am as close to 100% sure as I can be that Mark Price didn't turn it down but that has been reported. This stuff is almost as inaccurate as recruiting news. Often you find out some of the truth after the fact but in the midst of it don't believe much.

It is a much better job than VPI and they got Buzz Williams. An ACC job in a hot recruiting area with great facilities a few miles from an NBA arena is a very good job. The academic issue is small compared to football because of the math. You want two good guys per year out of about 20 targets. 10 can't come here, get 2 of 10. In football you want 20 out of 100 and 50 can't come. 20 out of 50 is a much harder problem. You only need 2 in basketball.

Turned down = no to interview request

OK thanks, mate. That wouldn't be my definition as I'd say turned down = offer given and saying no. But, even working with your definition, has Mack turned down an interview request?

Btw, make it two. I say no to an interview request. Any of the rest of you turned down Tech yet?

:D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT