ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Post-season Thread

I am not defending the contract at all so don't get me wrong here, but if Blewitt had stayed motivated on his job, lowered his self-importantism, hired better assistants, and essentially done what Tech was investing in him, the contract wouldn't look nearly as bad.

Yes, it was still a dumb contract. No question about it. I bring this up though because I've grown kind of sick over the years reading Tech fans blaming everything on Braine and then giving Blewitt somewhat of a pass. Even Ken S this past week wrote IMO a really goofy article hypothesizing that Blewitt, I guess, wasn't so bad looking back. His commentary of "can you blame Hewitt for signing the contract?" is also a tired viewpoint. I'm not blaming him for that. I'm blaming him for not coming anywhere near the huge investment Tech made in him for the future when the contract was offered.

Tech didn't learn a damn thing from that contract. After CPJ defeated the Cesspool in 2008, we went and extended his contract in the euphoria of a win. Didn't get another one until 2014. I don't know if it is the We Always Get Shafted and Nobody Likes Us mentality that is always too prevalent among Tech people that automatically thinks when things are going above expected we must overpay head coaches to assure they don't leave us for so-called greener pastures.

One thing I liked about Bobinski when we hired him is he didn't go overboard trying to lock up coaches with contracts they couldn't support long-term. When he lost a HC to a bigger program, he just turned around and replaced with another solid hire. I sure hope like hell he does that now.

I don't know if it is the We Always Get Shafted and Nobody Likes Us mentality that is always too prevalent among Tech people that automatically thinks when things are going above expected we must overpay head coaches to assure they don't leave us for so-called greener pastures.

This is it, or close enough to it. During this couple of weeks of basketball coach talk, I've seen dozens of concerns that whoever was being discussed would use GT as a stepping stone. If that has ever has happened at GT it was before Whack Hyder. We aren't just concerned they'll leave after a good year. It starts before the interview.

Don't Know

Things have gotten relatively quiet about the search lately - and I like it. Just took a stroll around the internet and the three names making the rounds are Martin, Kelsey and McCall. The only name I've heard in my real world network is McCall, and no specific information on actions regarding him. So basically nothing. I assume the Bobber is out doing stuff, so at least if we are getting turned down by more coaches nobody knows about it. So there's that!

clap

From this SF Chronicle article linked above:

'Martin has been interested in pursuing opportunities elsewhere “for some time,” a source close to him said.'

Apparently he is not gruntled, so this is our guy GTJT!! :)

I sure would like to know what is going on behind the scenes that has resulted in the weird contract situation and a coach who is looking to leave at the end of year two.

There is sufficient talent in the Bay Area and throughout California. And, Berkeley has a national name it can recruit to. But, from CM's time in Knoxville, he already knows what a gold mine the city of Atlanta is and can be. I'm hoping all of these advantages we like to believe we have (and I do, btw) come to fruition - new facilities, city of ATL, very fertile recruiting, best conference in the nation, etc.

Also, if he is truly making around 1.1-1.2 million a year, Tech can top that and then some. If nothing else, he can play the attention from Tech to his advantage if he wants to stay at Cal and sweeten his deal.

I would love it if we could land Cuonzo. He's a blue collar guy who has paid his dues. He's won everywhere he's been. He attended a solid university and played for a no-nonsense guy in GK. Yet, he's still young, loose and dare I say "hip" enough to relate to the young kids who we will be targeting.

Like I said earlier, he will be a recruiting bonanza. The only other candidate that excited me so far from a recruiting perspective was Capel. Cuonzo can be as good or better. And, I believe it was ESPN F'n Jacket who said a few pages ago (correctly IMO) that we've got to recruit our way out of this mess we are in - or at least that was his tone. Great players make mediocre coaches look smart. Great players make great coaches win titles.

Reactions: Texwood
Like I said earlier, he will be a recruiting bonanza. The only other candidate that excited me so far from a recruiting perspective was Capel. Cuonzo can be as good or better. And, I believe it was ESPN F'n Jacket who said a few pages ago (correctly IMO) that we've got to recruit our way out of this mess we are in - or at least that was his tone. Great players make mediocre coaches look smart. Great players make great coaches win titles.

We've been sitting on a gold mine with a couple of plastic spoons. Time to bring in the heavy equipment.

If Martin were to come to Tech, guess where we play next season...

...at Knoxville. Think that would make for a fun story line? Next year is of course the 2nd of a 4-game contract between UT and Tech.

If it were to happen...unfortunately for CM, we likely won't have a strong deck unless he is able to get a grad transfer shooter or two. Then again - and I know this very well because as you girls know I follow the Vols closely - Rick Barnes has some recrootin' to do as well. But, I betcha before this contract between the 2 schools ends, CM would have us stocked and pushing for the upper division of the ACC.

Fingers crossed.

If he delivers CM it was worth the wait and then some.

It's safe to assume that none of us are big fans of MBob. But there is a chance here that MBob played Vandy's part-time AD (with deep pockets) like a fiddle so that he could get his man at fair market value.

I will become a Bobinski fan very quickly if he delivers here. Like ESPN F'n Jacket has stated, this is his moment. This is what he was brought here and will ultimately make 3.5 million to do.

Maybe "fan" is a bit much though because the rest of the athletic program smells as a whole. So, let me retract and say "tolerate". ;)

Going back to the only sources I trust, McCall is the only name I've heard. What say you six or seven?

Scratch the conspiracy theories of MBob's genius:

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 20m20 minutes ago
Cal’s Cuonzo Martin is not a candidate at Georgia Tech, sources told ESPN.

Oh well. It was fun thinking about it. Got me through another day/evening waiting.

Maybe this is something we do whether we have any "media" (and I use that term very very loosely) rumors or not. Just make up a candidate every night and beat the drum.

Perhaps when we get to our 622nd candidate, we may have a match. Speaking of, perhaps Bobinski should use match.com. Apparently farmersonly.com is the search engine the Cesspool AD uses.

One more time...

THANKS VANDY!!

(I'd like to thank them for partly helping send a mediocre head coach to Pitt/ACC as well)

"Drew’s mother Janet said that it had been “quite a few years, I think,” that he was eyeing the school as he led Valparaiso to four Horizon League regular-season championships and two NCAA tournament appearances in his five seasons. The job opened up when Kevin Stallings jumped to Pittsburgh March 27 after 17 seasons at Vanderbilt. Drew filled it when he called Williams Monday to tell him he was coming to Nashville."

Apparently, he's had his eye on Vandy for a long time. Why Vandy? Academic prestige? Bah! There are plenty of NCAA basketball programs at schools with academic prestige. The reason is he sees Vandy as a program where he can play for a championship every season. Only Kentucky stands in his way in that conference. The only question is why hasn't Vandy been the powerhouse it should have been already. The reason that Vandy stands out is that he knows he can be a top 3 program in the SEC from day 1, and challenge UK for the championship most years. What better place to coach? Vandy and UK can be the Carolina and Dook of the SEC.

Vandy knows they will never be consistently competitive in the SEC in FB. Hoops is their chance to stand up and be noticed (along with other sports like beesball). Stallings was below .500 during his long time in Nashville in the mediocre SEC.

Vandy may think they can be like Duke. I don't see it. But, good for them for trying. Generally speaking, I root for Vandy. I thank them for what they've done and will continue to root for them except when they play the Vols or us.

Vandy knows they will never be consistently competitive in the SEC in FB. Hoops is their chance to stand up and be noticed (along with other sports like beesball). Stallings was below .500 during his long time in Nashville in the mediocre SEC.

Vandy may think they can be like Duke. I don't see it. But, good for them for trying. Generally speaking, I root for Vandy. I thank them for what they've done and will continue to root for them except when they play the Vols or us.

I agree 100% and think that's why they threw the bank at him. Basketball is their ticket, just as it is YUK's.

Radio silence through the grapevine so allow me to throw out a random name. Steve Lavin reportedly interviewed for the UAB job so he is looking. We could do worse, no?

At a time like this I think the best thing to do is drink some beer and say " what the F .

At a time like this I think the best thing to do is drink some beer and say " what the F .

It is national beer day. Cheers!

a.baa-Very-large-beer.jpg

Regarding Cuonzo:

Bobinski called the supposed candidacy a “complete fabrication” and “100 percent, unequivocally untrue,”

Link

Regarding Cuonzo:

Bobinski called the supposed candidacy a “complete fabrication” and “100 percent, unequivocally untrue,”

Link
He told Chuck and Chernoff during his weekly show on Wednesday that he hasn't offered the job to anyone. Just great news to me. 13 days at a pivotal time of the year, nothing! Signing Day next Wednesday with 7 of the top 100, unsigned...and we can't be proactive for those mentioned or even solidify our three yet....as the Grad. Transfers are planning their destinations without us.

Oh well, wait and see is all we can do. If this roster ends up looking like it stands today, we are in trouble for season ticket sales. They put the full-court press on during summer, but fail to generate enthusiasm during the rest of the year. Artificial deadline or not, the Final Four is over and the National Press left Houston without a mention of Ga. Tech.

Reactions: techtally
Is it true that Pat Kelsey has no post-season appearances during his only HC position, while rebuilding Winthrop? No Las Vegas Tourney, No NIT, No CBI or CBT or FCS or ??

Maybe he won't get offered either. Ha!Ha!

I have another unnamed source - this one is different than the other one I told you about who has no name - who is now telling me that Bobinski is just playing a game and will eventually hire himself to coach basketball at Tech. He said Bobinski was looking for someone who is disgruntled and couldn't find a better candidate than when looking in the mirror.

Ready for Bobber Ball, maties?

Reactions: Buzzforlife
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT