ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Post-season Thread

I don't know the details but my guess is that Memphis will pay GT something, either lump sum or over the length of the contract, to hire Pastner so they don't have to pay him the existing contract. Pastner doesn't have a buyout, as I understand it, but has a fully guaranteed contract, like Hewitt without the rollover.
92.9 was interviewing a newspaper/radio guy from Memphis and he said that there was a $500k payout if Pastner left early but he was sure that would be waived or considered part of the salary owed him. Also said that Memphis was likely going to agree to pay the difference between the GT salary and his contract with them.

Edit, he also said his two hours on the radio today was basically a Tigers party. They were ready to see him go and glad this was over for them.

OK, so what are you doing typing on this site? Get busy finding out the details.
Being a football guy CPJ is and will always be CPJ as for the new basketball coach C 0-0 prove it first.

Last edited:
he talked about recruiting and evaluation of talent instead of looking at recruiting rankings. he said the rankings gets all the press, but they don't always fit.

This is a great board for discussions like this. I cannot venture over to the Hive Sports Center board for the bile that is probably being spewed there. I know nothing about this coach but he is our coach and I will support him until he is no longer our coach. Ok, maybe not CPH or CCG but in general you know...

This is a great board for discussions like this. I cannot venture over to the Hive Sports Center board for the bile that is probably being spewed there. I know nothing about this coach but he is our coach and I will support him until he is no longer our coach. Ok, maybe not CPH or CCG but in general you know...
Welcome same reason most of us are on here.

I've seen interweb rumblings that 5-star PG Kobi Simmons could be in play depending on how our assistant hires go. I do believe that 4-star PG Charlie Moore is in play. If we can keep our three recruits and add one of these stud point guards, that would make for an impressive 2016 class to begin the rebuild. Add one of the better grad transfer bigs available, and suddenly next season doesn't look like a complete disaster. And another ship or two could become available to provide more options. I'd imagine any attrition would lead to more grad transfers so that those slots are available for the 2017 class. Would like the 2017 class to be large and loaded.

You can say that again! Done with the Hive.

He agreed to come and coach GA Tech. He is our coach now. He has my full support.

What is punishable? It is NOT different at all. Danny Manning's dad got a job years ago to get Danny Manning to Kansas. This is nothing new as Buzzforlife already pointed out. Happens in FB. If it were punishable, Kansas would've been in trouble and Memphis would be too.

I don't have a problem with it, just like I never had a problem with what Cremins did. Seems pretty smart. Tech obviously had no problem with what Cremins was doing 30+ years ago. And, we shouldn't because he wasn't breaking any rules - just like CJP wasn't.

Yep. Buford HS has been doing it forever...

Beating a dead horse

If there were leaks in the early stages of this search (and this thread indicates that there may well have been), MBob found them and plugged them up. I don't think anyone knew who the Bobber was talking to after Vandy outbid us for Drew. Kudos to MBob on that front!

If there were leaks in the early stages of this search (and this thread indicates that there may well have been), MBob found them and plugged them up. I don't think anyone knew who the Bobber was talking to after Vandy outbid us for Drew. Kudos to MBob on that front!

It will be interesting to see if anyone suddenly leaves GTAA after the leaking.

Mark Bradley opining that he doesn't like the hire makes me like it even more. His rationale is as usual for him pretty lame - that is, falling into the camp of because Memphis fans are generally speaking glad to see him go that somehow means he isn't a great fit or won't do well at Tech (and he might not). But, that is typical Mark Bradley. Going ahead with the strawman and the wishy-washy "but I like him" angle oozed into his analysis so later on he can claim victory if (hopefully "when") CJP does well.

Moreover, a lot of Tiger fans are meowing pretty loudly right now claiming hallelujah that he is no longer there. Fine. I hope they do more of it. The more they do that, the more it will motivate CJP to prove them wrong. Our good friend, Texwood, wanted a disgruntled HC with something to prove elsewhere? Not sure how disgruntled CJP was, but pretty sure he feels like a 622 ton weight has been lifted off his shoulders...certainly, the Memphis fanbase was/is "disgruntled"...and certainly, I think Texwood and all of us got a guy who has "something to prove". I like it.

Welcome, Josh Pastner. Good luck to you. Hopefully Tech fans remember the here and now one day in the future and don't behave like Memphis fans. That is, let's recall just how low this program has sunk when CJP is taking over. Fast forward 4 years from now...let's hope we are in a Sweet 16 and recruits are lining up to join our program. Then, in year 6 or so, if we have a down year, I hope Tech fans don't get all spoiled rotten and start beyatching.

I call this the Leeman Bennett Mistake. The Clampetts fired him because they thought the Falcons had "plateaued" after a couple of playoff appearances when they were knocking on the door of being a Super Bowl caliber club in the early 80's - though, and very important here, the Falcons had never tasted any success prior and quite frankly was an embarrassment to professional sports. The result after he was fired? Back to the shitter for the most part. We'll see. I think we can all agree CJP deserves support for 4 full years (barring any unusual circumstances that may arise) to see what he can do. The cupboard is fairly bare, though not completely empty by any means. At least, he will not have to endure a first season as a homeless band of gypsies with no home court like CBG did.

Reactions: Texwood
Not being a big basketball guy ( that's not to say I'm not big) I wish our new coach the best and willing to see after 4 years how it goes . I have gave my wife 43 years to make a good Biscuit , and at least we can still go to Red lobster to get my fill of biscuits. Guess I'll give her a few more years

Agreed. What good does is do to complain before the guy has even coached his first practice. I haven't been over to the H***, but I'd lay even money there's at least one thread there for all those charter members of the FotM.

Agreed. What good does is do to complain before the guy has even coached his first practice. I haven't been over to the H***, but I'd lay even money there's at least one thread there for all those charter members of the FotM.

Since most of the whiners were whining about "looking bad" or being rejected or how far we've fallen that no one is willing to come, the hiring took the wind out of their sails. I'm sure they'll pivot to a new thing to bitch and moan about soon.

CJP has offered 2016 4-star SF Alpha Diallo and 2016 4-star PF Taurean Thompson per Adam Finkelstein.
Didn't put this in the 2016 recruiting thread because it seemed implausible. CJP didn't recruit them for Memphis, he just got NCAA clearance to move over to us, so he could speak to our three signees. CTH recruited that area and passed on them, previously. If you hear of something more definitive with our one man staff that links him, please let us know:

Did he talk to them last night after his call with Lute Olson, meeting with some of our staff members, getting his family settled? He said evaluations are most important. I just can't fathom these rumors, as he said Buzz Williams offered last night too. No visits, first? These guys are not household names:

14 of the 15 ACC MBB teams are locked into early season tournaments... http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2...al-site?_ga=1.170571936.1815405254.1421192565

Only our BasketJackets are not accounted for so far per the link above. At the bottom, you will see that Syracuse is involved in a Barclays Center Event with South Carolina, Monmouth and 2 other teams TBA.

The tournaments who have not announced their field yet include:

• Gulf Coast Showcase (Fort Myers, FL... Nov. 21-23, Mon-Wed)
  • Corpus Christi Coastal Classic (Corpus Christi, TX...Nov. 25-26, Fri-Sat)
Neither of these 2 tournaments included any P5 conference teams a year ago.

*Note, some of the tournaments you will see at the link above show yet-to-be-announced "Visitors". These are not power conference teams and instead are mid-major and low-level conference teams.

After sitting out a season due to our ineptitude, I believe the BJ's will again appear in the Big 10-ACC Challenge thingy. I imagine BC will have to sit out this year. It may not make any difference, but our last game was 2 seasons ago at Northwestern. This may mean Tech will get a home game this season.

We do know we travel to Tennessee, VCU and Duquesne. We get the Cesspool, Tulane and Wofford at home. After next season, we have a home ('17-'18 season) and away ('18-'19) left with the Vols. And, after hosting Wofford this upcoming season, per the originally announced contract, we owe them a home game in ('17-'18).

18 ACC games + 3 roadies listed above + 3 homers listed above + 1 Big 10-ACC thingamabobber = 25 games. 5 or 6 others are likely home cupcakes (and they may be really edible cupcakes in a season where wins may be hard to find).

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Doesn't open records have some type of delay, due to filing or processing? I have heard nothing on his contract buyout amount on both sides. Would seem like Bob would set it up similar to the last CBG contract multiplied by 3 since he had two years left and this one is for six. With Attorneys on both sides, you never can tell until reading, then that can take a legal mind to sift through.

After reading many stories, articles and listening to interviews....my reaction to his hiring has led me to two fairly certain conclusions: 1)Our job caused reservation in the minds of proven coaches. Especially trying to fight away from the bottom dwellers in our league with recruiting restrictions, and the cupboard mostly void of proven top flight talent. We had discussions in the least with Martin, Drew, Capel, Amaker, probably Chris H. of Butler Univ. 2)This is the man for our resurrection of a dormant program. Perfect age/experience/energy, right temperament, great recruiter domestically while feeding/growing/extracting the local community in all ways.

The "new wave" of coaches in the ACC moving forward...

My mind wanders back to the early 80's. The ACC had what some might view as "The Establishment". These were guys named Dean Smith, Terry Holland, and Lefty Driesell. Though, calling the Lefthander anything associated with "establishment" just doesn't seem or feel right. I miss Lefty. Back then, some of the ACC coaches like Lefty and Jimmy V and Cwemins twying to get to the toowanamint were characters and made rooting for or against them so much more fun. Of course, the ACC was much smaller back then so it was a different time.

But then along came a wave of newbies. Young guys too. Some completely unheard of. Ratface came in from Army. They hated the hire. And, wanted to run him out of New Jersey on a rail after his 2nd and 3rd years. Tech hired a silver haired mophead who while loveable like a puppy was definitely off-center at times and a littly quirky to say the least. NC State brought in a Guido from Iona who was full of laughter and like Cremins didn't worry too much about the regular season but wanted to win just enough to get into the postseason where his teams would tend to peak at the right time.

Fast forward 35 years...

...Ratface is still there. But, his days are in the twilight of his career. Boeheim and Pitino have joined the ACC, not because they necessarily wanted to, but because they had to. Boeheim has already announced his coming departure in a few years. Pitino and the scandal he's facing could drive him out soon as well. Then, you have Deano's right hand man for so many years looking at eventual retirement (and potentially some sanctions for his program, though doubtful) soon. While I think Jim Larranaga at Miami still has at least 3 years in him, his days will come to an end most likely by the time Tech's new HC's contract is up.

The conference is much bigger now of course. Guys with a lot of years left and who are "established" (there's that word again) will soon become the deans of the ACC coaches. We're talking Mike Brey at Notre Dame and perhaps Leonard Hamilton at FSU...though, if he experiences another season with all that assembled talent like he did this past year, question marks are going to fly up quickly on his future. Hard to call Mark Gottfried a "dean" of ACC coaches, but if he stays in Raleigh by time those other guys mentioned above retire, he will be. Same for Brownell for that matter at Clemson.

Danny Manning has a huge rebuilding job at Wake and is just in his 2nd year. Buzz Williams is perhaps the shining star of the young newbies. And, in comes Josh Pastner to a sleeping giant. A gold mine as he says. (I happen to agree, but I am admittedly biased).

The one thing that made those "young punks" Ratface, Jimmy V and Cremins so successful is they bonded together as friends - something you probably won't see anymore...at least not to their levels - and took on the establishment. Jimmy V and Cremins never shook the trees. Ratface, perhaps out of necessity, had to take on Dean Smith. He beyatched about how Carolina got all the calls. Oh yes, some of us older fartekers remember those days. Funny how K morphed into the same person he used to complain about. But, I digress. Winning - especially at the right time (read: ACCT, NCAAT) - allowed these programs and coaches to go from unknown newbies to establishment breakers...and in K's case, the ultimate establishment.

I don't have a clue if Pastner or Williams or whoever will last. Times have changed. Fanbases are far less patient anymore. Cremins would've been given a lot longer time and understanding because Tech knew very little success in hoops prior to his arrival and winning big in the ACC at that time was just a dream. Perhaps an un-achievable dream for the realistic among us. But maybe, just maybe mind you, this young 38 year old will grab this job and all the advantages he has at his disposal that have been building (literally and figuratively) over the past decade for this time. Buzz Williams is already headed in the right direction. He's starting to piss off some of the establishment. How dare he win at Blacksburg? I hope Pastner does the same. Most of the ACC will take a wait-and-see attitude as we have no choice but to do the same. The abundant diatribes by those who are claiming this is a bad hire are unfounded and will be for another 2-4 years. We shall see.

Coach Josh spoke of the four Hall of Fame Coaches present...he didn't seem fazed. Not professing to know what he was thinking, but betting he thought about taking care of what he can control. That is us! Worry about the Homefront. The rest will take care of itself. If we compete, the Tourney will see us more times than not. Memphis Administrators turned down a CBI/CBT this March. We need to have those problems next year. I would hypothetically say yes right now, and I despise those MEG/T's. Need all the competition we can muster for this build.

Love all the talk you spoke of JT622. Davey Odom cared for those guys as well. He told me on a private bus trip as he had Wimp Sanderson in his company. They respected each other. Friendly fights. Looking forward to the new wave, with us involved.

Internet heavily rumoring Tubby Smith to Memphis, FWIW. Just curious, but is Tubby Smith in some kind of race with Larry Brown and some others to see who can coach in the most conferences? Yet, neither has ever been a HC in the ACC, FWIW.

I wonder what the Whiny Pants Memphis fans think of the Tubster.

I didn't even realize he was still coaching. He's an interesting guy for them. I wonder if he'll bring in those top recruits? How's he been doing recently?

Just following up on the info regarding next season's schedule...

...as FYI, the matchups for the ACC-Big 10 Challenge thingamajig the last few years have been announced around the first week of May so we are only 3 weeks away from most likely learning who and where Tech will be playing this upcoming season in that event.

Being one of the projected basement teams, I predict we will be facing somebody like Minnesota or Rutgers (the one in Piscataway, not Durham).

Now that Tubby is gone to Memphis, I can't believe I'm reading that the UNLV HC is thinking of heading to Lubbock to replace Tubby. I mean, leave Vegas? Is this guy nuts?

:D

Reactions: Buzzforlife
I absolutely HATE that Tech and the Cesspool have gone back to scheduling the MBB game when the students are out of session. That absolutely sucks. It sucks for the students and it sucks for the teams because of the atmosphere that can be created at home. Boooooooo! This is the 2nd year in a row after having done it right for about 5 or 6 years in a row.

Cesspool infests the Gigantic Boob on December 20, Tuesday, this upcoming season... http://onlineathens.com/sports/coll...ga-georgia-tech-set-date-mens-basketball-game

(I hope the few Tech students who haven't given up on GT MBB are pissed and say something...this is just wrong)

I was fortunate when I was a student at Ma Tech that we played every year at the Omni and it was while we were in academic session (read: still living on campus). Fun MARTA rides those were indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT