ADVERTISEMENT

G.T. Football "Changes", "Articles"...Post 2015 Season-

From ESPN.go.com-

Offseason priority: The first priority is simply to get healthy. Georgia Tech had too many injuries to overcome. Beyond that, the Yellow Jackets need to develop at the skill positions. Finding some consistent options in the backfield beyond Marshall will be crucial, but adding some skill at wide receiver matters, too. Jeune had some highlights and developed as the season went along, but it was clear Thomas missed the two wideouts Tech sent to the NFL after the 2014 season. Thomas’ completion percentage dipped form 51.3 percent in 2014 to 41.7 percent this season, and his yards-per-attempt fell from a sterling 9.2 to a pedestrian 7.5.

Early 2016 projection: Between the schedule and the injuries and the 1-6 record in games decided by a single possession, it would be nearly impossible for Georgia Tech to repeat all the bad luck it suffered in 2015. Still, it’s clear Johnson’s system doesn’t simply churn out stars like the Yellow Jackets had in 2014 either. Expect a return to a bowl game in 2016, but those 11-win campaigns like 2014 don’t come around very often so a more reasonable goal might be eight wins next season.

frankly given all the injuries and other things that happened this year, it is really hard for anyone outside the day to day conversations, meetings, player/coach interactions, etc to really know how to judge the season.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Tim Byerly was turned down on his waiver attempt with the NCAA for another season.

Thanks for the update. One the one hand, that sucks. Tip of the cap to Tim. Thanks for his contributions. We missed him badly this past season. I think we may win a couple of games - or perhaps more - if Tim was able to give JT5 a break and a game or two even to recover the beat down he took pretty much all season.

On the other hand, this just opens the door for guys like Campbell or Jordan or whoever to step up and in as motivation in the offseason. In truth, as I mentioned in a separate post last week, I think the starting QB position should be opened up for competition in the spring.

Link: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121015aaa.html

Finally, Coach Johnson. You have been a life coach to me ever since my very first snap in spring practice of 2012 (of which I fumbled). I would give anything to play one more season under you, but I feel more than prepared to enter the real world. My comfort and peace is in large part due to your ability in helping me realize what it means to be a selfless team player, regardless of what the capacity may be. I cannot wait to apply that mentality to the business world. I will never forget you pointing at me on goal line/short yardage situations and saying, "You're in. Heavy Right 28 Solid Rebel."

And the biggest thank-you of all is to the Yellow Jacket nation: student, professor, fan, and alum. Being sidelined this entire season has given me the chance to develop a deeper respect and admiration for your support. I will never forget my time walking down Yellow Jacket Alley or running onto the field behind the Ramblin' Wreck. Though never a primary starter, my hope is that I represented the prestigious Georgia Tech uniform in such a way that made you proud, despite the circumstances that made it difficult to do so this season. You all are the greatest and I now look forward to joining you as we begin to support next season's team in Ireland.

Link: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121015aaa.html

Finally, Coach Johnson. You have been a life coach to me ever since my very first snap in spring practice of 2012 (of which I fumbled). I would give anything to play one more season under you, but I feel more than prepared to enter the real world. My comfort and peace is in large part due to your ability in helping me realize what it means to be a selfless team player, regardless of what the capacity may be. I cannot wait to apply that mentality to the business world. I will never forget you pointing at me on goal line/short yardage situations and saying, "You're in. Heavy Right 28 Solid Rebel."

And the biggest thank-you of all is to the Yellow Jacket nation: student, professor, fan, and alum. Being sidelined this entire season has given me the chance to develop a deeper respect and admiration for your support. I will never forget my time walking down Yellow Jacket Alley or running onto the field behind the Ramblin' Wreck. Though never a primary starter, my hope is that I represented the prestigious Georgia Tech uniform in such a way that made you proud, despite the circumstances that made it difficult to do so this season. You all are the greatest and I now look forward to joining you as we begin to support next season's team in Ireland.
Maybe some high school players will read this and think more of a great school like Georgia Tech.

Last edited:
pretty thorough review of Cook. Generally the GT fan based talked well of him before this season. Not sure how much of Thomas' trouble fall on his shoulders. I thought Jordan did a decent job coming back from the A-back position and getting back into the QB back-up. I thought he played well, (except for ball security) So Cook probably gets some credit for both...

Found this good article on Coach Niumatalolo interesting... http://www.capitalgazette.com/sport...-navy-wagner-column-1214-20151213-column.html

This especially caught my eye...

More importantly, Jasper is the most knowledgeable practitioner of the triple-option offense not named Paul Johnson. Jasper has developed Navy's version of the offense to a higher level than what Johnson now employs at Georgia Tech by adding numerous wrinkles such as the shotgun and no-huddle.

So 50 percent . :) See I still can do math.

That reminds me of one of my favorite headlines on the front page of the Chicago Tribune about 30 years ago that went something like this (true story)...

..."Half of Illinois High School Students Score Above Average on State Standardized Tests"

..."Half of Illinois High School Students Score Above Average on State Standardized Tests"[/QUOTE]

I don't always drink beer, but when I do....it is because of statements like that one!

From Yogi Berra, a quote machine in his day:
When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
You can observe a lot by just watching.
It ain't over till it's over
Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours.
No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded.
It's like déjà vu all over again.

Ken S. of the local newspaper, does a thorough job relaying comments from DJ White, Trey Braun and CPJ about the future of G.T. Football...our product within the Scout Team, the Players:
http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/what-tech-freshmen-impressed-on-scout-team/npqnC/

After observing the H.S. Playoffs in the Ga. Dome last year, I contacted the G.T. Recruiting Office about Brad Stewart and Dorian Walker. We already had AJ Gray in the fold.

I never thought GSU would rehire CMS in any capacity(including OC). However it is time for GT to make a change with the OL coaching.

Maybe, Mike will want to go back to selling insurance?

Steven Sylvester, former player and graduate assistant with the offense has landed an assistant coaching job at Jacksonville University. This opens up the graduate assistant job for Tevin Washington to come back and start coaching. Tevin helped teach Justin as a freshman and I expect he will be a great addition probably working with QBs and BB's.

Can he be our next Lamar Owens?

Not sure if Ron Heller has any interest to be interviewed by GT and CPJ:
New York Jets: Assistant special teams coach Steve Hagen, and assistant offensive line coach Ron Heller have been released. Both were holdovers from Rex Ryan’s staff.

Looks like Doug Marrone is staying in the he NFL, with Cleveland, possibly?

Good luck to Dante. Hope his future goes well. Glad he gave Tech a chance.

FWIW, Buzz Preston pursued the Louisiana Monroe head coaching job... http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sp...ch-hawkins-among-applicants-ulm-job/78719936/

Applicants from power-five programs include Mississippi State co-offensive coordinator, offensive line coach and running game coordinator John Hevesy, Arizona wide receivers coach Tony Dews, Georgia Tech wide receivers coach Al Preston, Alabama offensive graduate assistant Alex Mortenson and former LSU assistant Joe Robinson, who was the special teams coordinator at South Carolina from 2012-15.

He did not get an interview opportunity per the story. ULM hired Matt Viator back before Christmas.

Spring game, 2016(early weather forecast, rain expected and plenty of it)-

GeorgiaTechFB
Annual Spring Game is set for Saturday, April 23 at noon

Note: Baseball is at Clemson, 6:30p.m.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT