ADVERTISEMENT

WAR ROOM 12/2

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
So the biggest issue right now for Georgia Tech is the burnout factor on Paul Johnson. After dealing with Bobinski and the fans and everything else, Paul Johnson needs a vacation. CPJ is the longest tenured GT coach since Bobby Dodd and the longest tenured coach in the ACC and the 14th longest tenured HC in college football. Only P5 guys with longer tenures are Stoops at OK, Ferentz at IA, Patterson at TCU, Gundy at OKSt, Whittingham at Utah, Fitzgerald at NW and Dantonio at MSU. Basically no one in the East or South. LOL.

It will be interesting to see what happens with CPJ and the new administration. Todd Stansbury is not interested in changing coaches and he knows that they need Paul Johnson's help to get the program back on track. That will be the key to getting more than one or two years out of PJ. They need to work together to figure out how to make that happen.

On the staff side, I don't see any changes right now. Those decisions are usually made after the bowl game though. I think Ted Roof is safe, PJ has asked for some changes and one of them is a move that you will probably see in the bowl game to more 3-4 and 3-3-5 (they have used that extensively over last two games). I don't think the even fronts will go away, but GT is going to be more multiple going forward and you could see Antonio Simmons, KeShun Freeman and Anree Saint-Amour as edge LBs with a mix of Brant Mitchell, Bruce Jordan-Swilling, Terrell Lewis and Vic Alexander inside next year.

ATTRITION, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE ATTRITION

People have asked me about Marcus Marshall and he hasn't been happy all year and it was not a surprise to anyone that he decided to leave. Marshall was sulking quite a bit after Dedrick Mills jumped him on the depth chart and the B-back position was probably not ideal for him anyway. Marshall does deserve a ton of credit for how he handled things.

Dorian Walker was bizarre, but there are a lot of kids bailing out. I think there could be one more guy from that 2015 class that is not in the two-deep that will leave as well. It is better that they leave now than when they are being counted on.

As an aside, I cover several other programs or at least own sites covering other programs and they have just as much of this as anyone. It is the same at SEC schools and everywhere else.

The staff has planned for all of the attrition so you may get an idea of where people are leaving by new offers that surface at positions that have guys leaving. The staff always has guys at any position from K to WR to LB that they can go on if someone leaves.

RECRUITING

The staff has been pretty busy often traveling in duos to visit kids.

GT has 15 commits, 14 hard ones and OJ Tucker who may be more important with Walker gone now if they can keep him.

That leaves 8ish spots right now.

How those spots work:

B-back: GT is going to take one more B-back, lots of evaluations going on. CJS is still working on Jalen Holston as well, no news there though.

OL: GT is going to take one more OL, Cody Shear is first in line. Caleb Chandler would be next, but he has to hit a certain amount of academic progress to ensure a spot.

DE: Looks like just one defensive end and it has to be a bigger bodied guy. CMP and CBP went to see Deandre Johnson who is committed to Miss State, he will visit next month GT on an OV and CBP has been working that angle hard. CPJ and CLO went to see Cortez Alston, but the staff is kind of split on him, his tape isn't the greatest. Chris Whittaker also got a visit from CBP and CMP, but he is kind of a flakey kid, not sure what is really going on there. There are more guys that could be targets down the line.

DT (2): GT has some pretty deep connections with Nebraska commit Robert Porcher including the Swilling kids, Derrick Moore and Willie Clay who are all helping recruit Robert to GT on top of the GT staff. Look for him to visit in Jan. CBP has secured OVs from Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa and Aliki Vimahi and I could see one of them ending up at GT. Antwan Owens got a visit from CAM this week, but that is still UCF/USF battle right now until he gets where he can get a written offer from GT.

LB (1-2): I think GT will jump in on either or both Quinton Miller from Archer and VaTech commit Jaylen Griffin from Rome. Griffin wants to come to GT, CAM has done a nice job. Miller is a really interesting under the radar guy who is rated really highly and is a state champ wrestler. I know the staff are high on both of them. Leonard Warner is visiting UGA this weekend, UGA thinks they will get the commit this weekend, if not I expect a Jan. OV from Warner to GT. Kendric Haynes is on the backburner, I think CTR likes these other targets more than him.

S (0-1): Still a chance GT takes a safety. Tariq Carpenter will commit if given the green light. No news lately on Stuart Head and Stanford, but it seems like he is going to enroll at Stanford.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News