ADVERTISEMENT

Beesball...postseason thread

Good win, Jackets!!

Wed vs 1-Miami, 3pm
Thu vs 4-FSU, 3pm
Fri vs 5-NC State, 7pm

Keep the bats ringing.

Good news: We are now in the Tournament Pool Play. Three more games.
Bad news: Three more games, with a bunch of young arms and Cole Pitts, Zac Ryan.
More bad news, Gorst went 1 1/3. Being used as a closer this week, not a starter.
Even more bad news, Miami at 3 p.m, tomorrow. Thursday, Friday won't be easy!

It's an even-numbered year. Time for us to win another ACC title. ;)

Rock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock Horns

It'll be interesting to see how the other coaches work their pitchers. Will Miami and FSU save their best starters for their Friday match-up? Will NCSU hold their best for Miami? Could work in the Jackets favor.

It'll be interesting to see how the other coaches work their pitchers. Will Miami and FSU save their best starters for their Friday match-up? Will NCSU hold their best for Miami? Could work in the Jackets favor.

Twas thinking about this same thing last night. I think this is exactly how it played out in 2012 to our favor. Let's hope it happens again.

Side note, I see where the Scumbags' season ended with yet another losing record via their loss against the Rebs yesterday. Good.

The format for the SECT is really stupid, btw.

Back to us, I have no clue who will start today. Likely going to be Charlie Wholestaff (aka TBA) the next 3 days. Danny running a guy out there with hopes he can get 2+ innings out of him before shaking it up. Perhaps hit lightning in a bottle and get a 4-inning stretch out of a guy here or there. Bullpen may constantly "be up".

Just thinking aloud to next year...

...and, tons of "ifs" here I admit....

...and, recent history of keeping pitchers healthy is not a strong point for us...

...but, if it is really true Tristin English would've been our best pitcher this season according to Danny if not for a bone spur...

...and, if Hughes returns 100%...

...and, assuming Gold and Gorst return...

...and, a lot of these freshmen improve at the Cape and other places like most collegiate pitchers make their biggest jump of improvement between their FR and SOPH seasons...

...well...

...dare I say it?...

...the future could be bright in the pitching department moving forward if those items above fall into place?

Who am I kidding? I am hopelessly and helplessly in love with Tech Beesball and will be till the day I die. Every time I think I can just back off, they suck me right back in. Beats living in Russia I guess.

Go Jackets!!

You're thinking with your largest working organ, the heart.
We are lucky Kel was born a month later or he would be gone goodbye.
Those pitchers probably won't bee back, and those other ifs are like Uncle Fred and Aunt Minnie.

Enjoy these tournaments, because next year might be tough while losing some great talent.

Jake Lee will be today's TBA per Beesball Twitter...well, for the first inning or two (hopefully) before another TBA comes on. Collectively, TBA = Charlie Wholestaff until Gold is scheduled to pitch again - hopefully Sunday, but more realistically at some SEC stadium in about 10 days +/- 1 day.

Btw, I'm setting the OVER/UNDER on runs Miami will score today at 13.5.

Pool update... Pig Farmers and Injuns tied 3-3 in the bottom of the 7th. I guess we want them to play about 622 extra innings, yes?

DRUNK BUDDIES

The Defending Champs now up 7-3 with a 4-spot in the bottom of the 8th...heading to the top of the 9th to close it off. Assuming they get it done, JJ's game should be on time for first pitch.

Yes, and I won't argue with 1,244 to the infinth power squared or Sunday, whichever comes first.

We shall not do math on this board...must type this 100 times. Wait a second, I would have to add those up as I go....

The plan is now in execution mode.

Step 0. Tech wins the play-in game.

Step 1....the Injuns win today.

Next step: Tech outscores the Canes, 32-31, on a Brant Stallings homer in the 9th.

Tomorrow: Tech outscores the Noles, 45-44, on a bases-loaded 4-base error off a bunt by Ryan Puerifoy to go 2-0 in pool play and 2-0 over the Cubans and Injuns.

Tomorrow night: Cubans defeat the Pig Farmers clinching the pool for the Jackets and deeming Friday's game against the Pig Farmers as like a bowl game.

Friday: Tech starts Grant Wruble against the Pig Farmers and lose 74-1. Wruble goes 6 innings as Tech gets run-ruled and he throws 241 pitches. In the postgame Wruble is quoted as saying "NC State just got lucky".

Sunday: Tech wins the ACCT behind Gold and Gorst.

Get the pen going and keep them ready. Hopefully Jake can give us 1 inning.

Should have started Zac or Ben or even Pitts, if he is healthy. Some of these Freshmen don't have enough innings to be considered Sophomores/showed no consistency/regressed. Putting Lee in for Miami is like Angus Beef to a female Lion, under her chin(the male might move a whisker for jungle service like that).

Last edited:
Only path to Sunday...

1. Tech MUST defeat FSU today.
2. Pack MUST defeat Canes tonight.
3. Tech MUST defeat Pack Friday night.
4. Noles MUST defeat Canes Saturday afternoon.

Odds of all 4 of these happening? I'd put it at around 1% chance.

What would be nice over the next 2 games - along with winning of course - is for Danny to find at least 1 (preferably more) guy who can build some confidence of reliability to pitch/start at the NCAAT regional...similar to what Ben Parr did yesterday against an offensive juggernaut known as the Canes.

If we lose today/tonight or are eliminated from Sunday......Friday-Ball belongs to Burton Dulaney, with Keyton Gibson warming up.

You are spot on, in needing to find a Regional third starter. If not, he's got to go with Gorst. Hopefully, penciling in Parr won't come back on us. It's sink or swim time. No more rafts!

Brandon Gold wearing the red nose, for Children's Cancer Awareness.

Is there anything he doesn't do for Tech? Star pitcher, 3B, and fighting for sick children!

Termites in the wood, 6-1 loss.
Key. Gibson was not too bad today.
If you told me Tuesday night, we would give up 10 runs total to Sugar 'Canes and Seminole Tribe....I would say, probably two wins.

On to the kiddies tomorrow against the Woof-Pack.

Last edited:
<sigh>
GA Tech beesball... always good... seldom great.

Why does our athletic mission seem so out of step with our corporate mission, which is to pi$$ greatness as early and often as possible?

I suppose it's just our cross to bear.

Had no idea Kel is draft eligible with a July Birthday? Does the August deadline to sign negate the drafting date?

Updated draft rankings from Baseball America

13. Taylor Trammell
Fastest riser among toolsy Georgia prep outfield class, thanks to strides with bat.

110. Kel Johnson
Eligible sophomore has strength and power, lacks plate discipline.

127. Connor Justus
Combines smooth, steady shortstop defense with performance in Atlantic Coast Conference, bat likely light as pro.

I only think Trammell is a legit threat to NOT be in a Tech uni next season among those eligible (read: not Gonzo obviously). Kel is far from a 5-tool player. His strength is obviously hitting and power. Defensively, he is a liability. And, no obvious position to peg him into. Not real fast. Not a great arm. Has shown trouble picking up the ball and making plays in the outfield. Having said that, my Dad always said and I quote... "if you can hit, they'll find a place for you on the field". The only problem is that it doesn't warrant an early round pick.

Connor is just showing his hitting abilities this year. He's of course always been reliable and at times a highlight reel defensively. I think he will return for his senior campaign.

Since today's game is like a bowl game, I'd like to see Danny play some of the backups. Carter Hall in CF (not sure he shouldn't already be starting there, IMO). Poje at 1B to give English a day off. Wruble in LF. Keep Stallings in RF and in the order. Etc.

We will be on the road as a 2- or 3-seed in an upcoming NCAAT Regional regardless of what happens today anyway. Since it is like a meaningless exhibition game today, I wonder if our players get hair dryers and gift cards and other cool junk. At least they didn't wait 4 to 6 weeks from the last game to play this MEG.

Ugh. Completely pissed that one away.

Get home. Get some rest, guys. Watch the Road to Omaha show Monday at noon. Go see some new faces and a new venue.

<sigh>

But win or lose, I'm proud of the guys (and ladies) who wear white (or blue) and gold. They have chosen the road less traveled.

I believe we are in....RPI is currently, 20th.
Can't see Ga. Southern over us if they get in a three-way tie.

Edit: McD's(first three letters of my last name)two for 5$ picks. 1)ACC has 11 teams in rpi top 39. Jackets, Tar Holes are both in. 2)Tigers with a lake will win championship game today. Score more than 20 runs. Beer is more than a refresher for STech81, he plays for the Tigers.

Last edited:
La-Lafayette defeated Ga Southern for the Sun Belt title, which helps us I'd guess. No way the Eagles get an at large bid over us.

I've been thinking ever since we swept Coastal Carolina that we are in. But, will be some nervous times around noon tomorrow regardless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT