ADVERTISEMENT

2016 G.T. Football(incldg. late previews, incoming freshmen, fall camp, articles, et al.)

August 7:
Details:
For the second-straight day, the Yellow Jackets donned helmets, shoulder pads and shorts for Sunday's workout. As has been the case throughout camp to this point, Sunday's practice consisted of 24 periods and lasted a little more than two hours. Due to lightning in the area, the first 30 minutes of practice was held exclusively inside the John and Mary Brock Football Facility but the weather cleared and Rose Bowl Field was utilized for the rest of the afternoon.

Play of the Day:
Sophomore defensive back A.J. Gray highlighted a strong showing by Georgia Tech's defense on Sunday when he made a spectacular diving interception during seven-on-seven drills midway through practice. Later in the same seven-on-seven period, Gray displayed great athleticism when he leapt in front of another throw but settled for a pass breakup when he wasn't able to pull down a second acrobatic INT.

"I thought it went well. Today was the first day in pads and I thought the tempo was pretty good and they flew around and tried to compete," Johnson said.

"We are way behind and there is no question about it," Johnson said. "I would like to see (new) facilities and whatever. If you look at the other schools we are behind in most every aspect from facilities to staff to salaries or whatever."

On Saturday at a press conference, Yellow Jacket athletic director Mike Bobinski said he feels like the football program is fully funded and there have been no requests for new facilities or additional staff. Johnson refuted that notion.

"We had a plan for a locker room and a locker room would be great. We had several meetings and they drew it up and it would be big for the program," Johnson said. "It is about recruiting when kids walk in that is their impression (of the school). It is like you guys know it is an arms race. If you are not building you are falling farther and farther behind."

Johnson said as far as he knows any plans for facilities upgrades are on hold and Bobinski has not mentioned anything to him about that.

"I don't know that there are plans to do anything right now. If there are, I'm not aware of them," Johnson said. "We had the locker room plans drawn up and I guess they are waiting for someone to fund it."

Per CAM on Saturday(take this as third party, sort of like Gary Johnson the Libertarian candidate):
Brandon Adams will play on the DL this season and get plays!

GEORGIA TECH
YELLOW JACKETS

0-0 OVERALL | 0-0 ACC (2ND COASTAL)
FBS RANKING OFFENSE DEFENSE
Rushing 256.2 (7th) 165.1 (54th)
Passing 121.8 (120th) 202.9 (34th)
Overall 80th 42nd

Looks like Matthew Jordan will be staying at QB. This makes best sense to me...at least until he gets knocked back to near 4th on the depth chart...and, I don't see that happening any time soon (especially this season)...

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/tech-hoping-to-play-quarterbacks-matthew-jordan-ta/nsCXk/

At 208 pounds, Jordan is seen as a short-yardage and goal-line possibility, similar to the role played by Tim Byerly in the 2014 season. Marshall and Thomas are both listed at 185.

“Matthew, he’s a big, tough kid that plays strong, and he plays fast,” Cook said. “There are some things that TaQuon’s better at and Matthew’s better at some other things.”

Looks like Matthew Jordan will be staying at QB. This makes best sense to me...at least until he gets knocked back to near 4th on the depth chart...and, I don't see that happening any time soon (especially this season)...

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/tech-hoping-to-play-quarterbacks-matthew-jordan-ta/nsCXk/

At 208 pounds, Jordan is seen as a short-yardage and goal-line possibility, similar to the role played by Tim Byerly in the 2014 season. Marshall and Thomas are both listed at 185.

“Matthew, he’s a big, tough kid that plays strong, and he plays fast,” Cook said. “There are some things that TaQuon’s better at and Matthew’s better at some other things.”
Good.

Hate to see him wasted or moved during the season.This doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement to be put in for a series of plays.....but, I also hope this comes true:
“That’s what you would hope,” Cook said Monday following the team’s fifth preseason practice, the first in full pads.

Backup QB is the greatest position in FB. Especially in the NFL where you get paid millions to wear headphones on the sidelines during games free from injury, be worshipped by the fanbase - always the solution when things go sour for the starter, and pretty much is a walking insurance policy in case something happens to the starter.

And then, if you come in and play like crap?...well, he's the backup for crying out loud...cut him some slack.

:D

#GTCAMP16 Report: Tuesday, Aug. 9

THE FLATS -- Georgia Tech football continued with its fall preseason practice slate on Tuesday afternoon, which saw a 15-minute rain shower drop over the Yellow Jackets at Rose Bowl Field and the John and Mary Brock Football Facility midway through the workout.

Practice Details:
For the second-straight day, the Yellow Jackets wore full pads and held a full-contact practice on Tuesday. With the offense in white tops and the defense in blue, the workout again consisted of a total of 24 periods and lasted two-and-a-half hours.

Plays of the Day:
During the 11-on-11 live period midway through practice, quarterback Justin Thomas hit a streaking Lynn Griffin along the left sideline who made the over the shoulder catch and toe-tapped both feet down inbounds to complete the 22-yard play.

Five periods later , the defense returned the favor during 7-on-7 drills when junior defensive back Lawrence Austin recorded an interception, snatching a tipped ball out of the air and hauling it in to his chest.

The final period of the day once again pitted offense versus defense in live 11-on-11 work. With the ball placed deep inside the offense's own territory, true freshman Dedrick Mills took a handoff, ran through a large hole created by the offensive front and pulled away from the defense for a long gain.

Once again, the defense struck back when a slew of defenders converged in the backfield and recorded a safety on the very next play.

Quote of the Day
"Every day is constant development, constant growth. I'd never say that I'm completely there but I'm miles ahead of where I was."
- London native and senior defensive lineman Francis Kallon when asked about his on-field development as he prepares to return to the British Isles for the season opener in Dublin, Ireland on Sept. 3.

ATLANTA-- Georgia Tech football coach Paul Johnson spoke with the media following the departure of athletic director Mike Bobinski from the Flats and after his team's Tuesday practice session.

"Mike called and said that he had been offered the Purdue job and he took it for several reasons. I think he has family back there in the Midwest and that he was going to take it," Johnson said. "I wish him well."

With the search for a new athletic director underway, Johnson said he has faith in Tech president Bud Peterson to make a strong hire that will help advance his football program.

"I'm sure Dr. Peterson will hire a good guy to take his place and our challenge is to move on as normal," Johnson said. "I'm sure Dr. Peterson will hire some good and they will vet them. My job is to coach the football team and I'm going to focus on that. I want an AD that will do a good job for the Georgia Tech Athletic Association and I'm sure Dr. Peterson has the same thing in mind and they will go through a process to find that type of person."

Johnson made light of his contentious relationship with Bobinski.

"I think that Mike and I were cordial and his style of leadership was different than Dan (Radakovich). It wasn't like we got in a fistfight every day in the hall. We got along and were cordial to each other. Sometimes that gets blown out of proportion."

When asked if he was interested in the AD job, Johnson quickly responded with a "no."

"I think that is a pretty tough job. My job is tough, but that one might be harder," Johnson said with a laugh. "That is a tough job."

Roof on position battles... http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/roof-with-updates-on-georgia-tech-position-battles/nsC8z/

This is the one I'm most interested in...

Outside linebacker: Redshirt freshman David Curry, who played at Buford High School, and junior Terrell Lewis are working with the first team in the 4-3 defense.

“It’s an ongoing battle and making both of them better,” Roof said.

Lewis played in 12 games last year, making 12 tackles. He played in 11 games as a freshman.

ATLANTA-- Mother Nature gave Georgia Tech's football team a break on Wednesday with light showers in the area. Jackets head coach Paul Johnson opted to let his team practice in shells to make the most of the cooler temperatures as well.

"Practice was good. It rained a little bit. I thought the energy was good and a we didn't do too many interactions because we got after it pretty good for a couple of days so we were in shells. We will get back to full pads tomorrow and shells Friday morning and then scrimmage on Saturday."

The team went over to the College Football Hall of Fame earlier in the day and Johnson said he thought his players were moved by the experience.

"I think the kids enjoyed it and it is a neat place," Johnson said. "I haven't been over there since it moved to Atlanta and it was pretty cool. I looked at pretty much everything and some of the Georgia Tech guys and the history here. I enjoyed watching a little bit of Georgia Southern and Tracy Ham and some of those guys from back when I was coaching way back when. It was fun."

Why is the GTAA paying to have the large video board replaced?
Is it not the manufacturer who is responsible for the Radio Frequency going sunny side up?

Money must be stashed in Sasquatchs' office, instead of him. Gee, let's give Danny Hall and Sharon Perkins new contracts, bonuses!

Camp 16, Aug. 10

THE FLATS -- Georgia Tech returned to Rose Bowl Field and the John and Mary Brock Football Facility for practice No. 7 of fall camp on Wednesday afternoon.

Practice Details:
Having worn full pads for back-to-back full-contact practices on Monday and Tuesday, head coach Paul Johnson decided to scale back on the physicality on Wednesday and conduct practice in helmets and shorts. It rained for much of the two-hour workout, which included 24 periods, the majority of which were focused on group and individual drills.

Plays of the Day:
With the team working out in helmets and shoulder pads on Wednesday, the live 7-on-7 period featured the best plays of the day.

On the defensive side, sophomore defensive back A.J. Gray came out of nowhere to slash in front of a receiver on a pass across the middle for an interception.

A few plays later, sophomore quarterback TaQuon Marshall fired a pass on target to redshirt-freshman A-back Omahri Jarrett, who made a tough catch at the goal line despite having a pair of defenders draped on either side of him.

Quotes of the Day
"You have to go into (camp) like you are fighting for that position. It's the job that you have to win. There are 20 guys on the offensive line right now and each one is fighting for a position."
- Redshirt-sophomore offensive lineman Jake Stickler on the offensive line's mindset thus far in fall camp.

"I don't know if it's a chip on our shoulder but were firing and we're going hard right now."
- Sophomore wide receiver Mikell Lands-Davis on how the offense is doing this fall camp.

Post-Practice Press Conference Video:

I one am proud of all the work these players put in this summer. I have a good feeling about this year.

Why is the GTAA paying to have the large video board replaced?
Is it not the manufacturer who is responsible for the Radio Frequency going sunny side up?

Money must be stashed in Sasquatchs' office, instead of him. Gee, let's give Danny Hall and Sharon Perkins new contracts, bonuses!

The mismanagement of money at the GTAA is nauseating. Particularly over the past decade. I hope whoever the new AD is will come in, work with Marvin Lewis and get a thorough review of the practices that have been going on with a fine tooth comb. If any of us ran the place apparently like has been the case over the last 3+ years, we would be fired without question.

I one am proud of all the work these players put in this summer. I have a good feeling about this year.

Amen to that. The awful taste of 3-9 and a season opener in Ireland against a conference foe hopefully serves as terrific motivation in the offseason. That taste is probably as bad as fried okra. Well, no. Fried okra would be the 1994 season. But, I digress. ;)

While I may not be as optimistic as you regarding this upcoming season, certainly if that oblong ball bounces our way and we can catch some breaks on the injury front that we were decimated by a season ago, there is no question this team could contend for the Coastal title.

Did I say Perkins, Hoerner is the coach for the Softbees.
We pay so many former coaches in the revenue sports, this mind above my shoulders gets confused.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, I love Fried Okra. Not good for the health, definetly can relate to that for not partaking. But like Fried Chicken, the taste is wonderful and greasy right through the Alka Seltzer.
Now Boiled Okra, even in soup like Mary Mac's...I'll pass.

Last edited:
Will Bryan says O-Line won't allow repeat of last year... http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/bryan-georgia-tech-o-line-wont-allow-repeat-of-las/nsDd5/

I liked this quote by WB at the end...

“It’s been good to be able to do more of the teaching than being taught like last camp,” Bryan said.

What he is likely learning also is that the best way to truly have to learn something is to actually have to teach it to someone else. If you have to teach someone else a technique or method, you'll assure you know what you're talking about before you do. When coaching basketball, I intentionally force my players to have to teach others from time to time about a play or rule or technique. When they know they have to teach it to others, they assure they prep and know their stuff beforehand.

Like I said I feel good about this team. And if you listen to CPJ this is the best mood he has been since 2014 and that was a pretty good team. He is one that you know does not sugar coat things.

I know what you mean, mate. The Feel Good vibes from Admiral Johnson can be contagious. I mean, just look at his smile from yesterday's practice...

PaulJohnsonGT_t300.jpg

And, this was after he was telling the Offensive Line how proud he was of them and what a wonderful job they've been doing so far this preseason...

PaulJohnson.jpg

...yep, you just can't wipe the smile off his face these days. Like a proud PaPa.

Coach Johnson needs players to be leaders. To be vocal and pull everyone together. To me his teams do better when this is the case.

To think we had 39 Freshmen or Fr.-R/Shirts last season, a dozen major injuries, sprinkling in those dudes that left(which in some cases will help team chemistry, avoid going to "pot")and the holes created in forcing moves being made to get by, instead of making holes on the OL and plugging them on Defense. Dozen, sprinkling, holes, proves that football is like doughnuts. Every batch is different, although 11 on the field is one short of a box sold in 12's(unless you're playing the Mutts, who always have an extra official on their side).

I wanted to play the Devil's Advocate in how we could win three or less, but all of your examples(the three of you)above prove the Miserables are going to need to dig deeper into the "Devine" Order to find de-feat/da-feet!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT