ADVERTISEMENT

2016 G.T. Football(incldg. late previews, incoming freshmen, fall camp, articles, et al.)

It does not count against the 85, if they can't play again. Should the hardship require a sixth year of playing because of a medical redshirt year followed by another season of injury, the team applies for it after the S.A's 5th year(as eligibility is totally expired). Two separate exemptions under waiver. The Ratliffe, Whitehead type is easily approved when a doctor totally disables the athlete for contact sports. The other is more complex.

You can thank colleges like Alabama for rule changes over the years. Allowed 105 total(my own hypotheses, can't find out how many hardships are allowed under NCAA per school, if a limit is imposed)on a roster. It includes the 85, the walk-ons, the medicals, the redshirts, etc.

I think a medical ship is a wonderful thing. When a kid makes a commitment to a school, they expect at minimum to be able to be covered for their entirety of their time until graduating. If they get wiped out by injury, then the school can and does still take care of them while not handicapping the program in terms of its ship allotments.

What Tech did with Ratcliffe was about as honorable a thing as you can witness. Unfortunately, CPJ gets his reputation for being a smart ass (which fits Tech perfectly) and a bit of a stubborn curmudgeon, while not getting his due for doing honorable things like this along with his focus on his guys getting it done in the classroom.

In many ways, he is the perfect anti-factory head coach. And, he's at a school that is about as anti-factory as it still gets. Perfect match. Hope he stays a very long time. I think he wants to be at Tech a lot more than people appreciate.

edit note: I'd like to see more schools extend financial aid to male and female S-A's who come back to finish their degrees as well. While the Calvin Johnsons of the world are rich and don't necessarily need the financial assistance, for every one of those there are probably 5 or more who do.

Casey Wilson will replace Trevor Stroebel.

"I think that day two was more of day one. Tomorrow we will put on shells and get uppers on and start to evolve slowly into some team work and playing against each other. We will be able to line up against each other and thud some things up. It is a gradual process and the kids are working hard," Johnson said.
"We are going to look at new ideas and schemes in the return game to see if we can branch out some from what we have been doing. We need to do a better job of it," he said. "I think this model works best at least in my experience, having a guy do solely special teams may work for some people, but it wasn't the way I wanted it so we will have all our coaches involved now and they are responsible for the team they are coaching. It makes everyone a little more energized about it I think."

Bummer on Griffin. I hope the true frosh are getting themselves ready. We may wind up needing one or two of them this fall. Ugh.

“If you win the turnover battle, you’re usually going to win the game.” - @GTPaulJohnson on key to the season
“(Defenses) line up same ways they do as they did 20 years ago…There is no secret way but it’s mostly about good players.” - @GTPaulJohnson

ACC to vote on future 9-game league schedule this upcoming Friday per this article... http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/accs-interesting-alternative-to-potential-nine-gam/nsBhn/

Bobinski said that Tech would be in favor of the eight-plus-two model because of its annual game with Georgia and the ACC’s contracted games with Notre Dame. Were the ACC to move to a nine-game league schedule format, Tech would periodically play the nine league games, Georgia and Notre Dame, a rather heavy slate.

List of Medical Hardships, career-ending(feel free to add names, if I've missed any):
Jaylend Ratliffe
Jake Whitley
Kendarius Whitehead
Chris Griffin
--------------------------------------------
Would like to see Mathew Jordan tried at BBack, as TaquonMarshall keeps picking up the offense.
Antonio Messick needs to play on most of our Special Team units.

10 stars for each, multiply that by the number of Tech jerseys in the picture, which should equal a gross number of stars. Never mind, not even basic math is allowed on here.

List of Medical Hardships, career-ending(feel free to add names, if I've missed any):
Jaylend Ratliffe
Jake Whitley
Kendarius Whitehead
Chris Griffin
Would like to see Mathew Jordan tried at BBack, as TaquonMarshall keeps picking up the offense.
Matthew Jordan is the one who can keep the ball run up the middle for 3 or 4 yards you are going to need that type of QB at times. We are good at B-back let Taquon redshirt this year if you don't need him. And he will still have 3 years to play.

Matthew Jordan is the one who can keep the ball run up the middle for 3 or 4 yards you are going to need that type of QB at times.

+1

He could/should be the Byerly Insertion when we are inside the 2 yard line.

I just don't think he's going to take the Sr. out on the goal line. If Coach Cook has any influence, they are giving the play away. Jordan is needed at BBack, because you need three healthy ones at all times.

Changes are good, and you may see some from a hungrier coaching staff and team.

Don't we already have 5 healthy B-Backs?

Marshall, Mills, Allen, Weimerskirch, and Benson?

I wouldn't consider Allen healthy, plus he has one year left if he makes it through. Jordan would have three and I would hope they are going to do it now at the start of camp, instead of necessity after the season starts. Been talking about it internally since spring. C.J. Leggett is gone. Marshall is an ABack as well. The other three have not played in a college game.

The staff doesn't like inserting a "cold QB" in on a drive, unless injury. Byerly was put in a few times on the goal line because we had other inexperienced ones or Vad running straight up.

My reasoning is if Jordan is running scout at #3 and you are not going to insert him(keep hearing about Thomas is not coming out)when deep in opponent territory, move him now. Otherwise, leave him be.

We need depth at placekick holding. Once again, we have no experienced talent at #3 placekick holder. And, once again, it shows how CPJ just doesn't take this recruiting thing seriously.

Sheesh.

SMOKING HOOKAH

We need depth at placekick holding. Once again, we have no experienced talent at #3 placekick holder. And, once again, it shows how CPJ just doesn't take this recruiting thing seriously.

Sheesh.

SMOKING HOOKAH
We have Devine who can hand it back to the kicker block anyone coming in get the ball back and then hold it for the kicker. On on the plus side we can burn some time off the clock while he is blocking before the hold.

The only problem I see (or perhaps won't see) there is that Devine blocks out the sun/lights and causes darkness which makes it trickier for Butker to know where the ball is. But, I guess I should not worry about it. CPJ is going for it anyway, right?

The only problem I see (or perhaps won't see) there is that Devine blocks out the sun/lights and causes darkness which makes it trickier for Butker to know where the ball is. But, I guess I should not worry about it. CPJ is going for it anyway, right?
A good kicker can make an extra point Blindfolded . But yes we can go for it anyway.

Butker has only missed 1 XP in his career. It was that one over at Fred Sanford Toilet Bowl that almost made him the goat before he became a hero a little while later.

Jaylend Ratliffe
Jake Whitley
Kendarius Whitehead
Chris Griffin
I had not seen the official word on Ratliffe. Sorry to hear about this for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT