ADVERTISEMENT

(non-GT unfortunately) March Madness Thread

Going into last night's games, the ACC had 6 of the top 12 teams in the RPI in beesball.

Some tweets...

Darren Rovell ‏@darrenrovell 9h9 hours ago
ACC finishes with 25 units for the 2016 NCAA Tournament, which is a record. Those units will be worth at least $39.9 million to conference.

Matt Sarzyniak ‏@mattsarz 9h9 hours ago
Should be at 23 units tonight. Guaranteed 25 after Sunday, by far the most. ACC earned most (21) last year.

ACC looking at roughly $75 million from the 2015/2016 NCAA Basketball Tournaments alone (spread out over 6 years).

This is about $833K per year for 15 teams over 6 years. How much did this perhaps sway Bob's decision on the coach? You got almost $1M/year coming in off the NCAAT for the next 6 years, plus whatever else is generated through the FF.

That money IMO should be viewed as helping pay off Blewitt and Gregory. Cleans the sheet essentially.

So, it definitely helps. But, I'd say that even if we were already in great shape athletically across the board like the Virginias and Louisvilles are.

As I've posted on this board many times over the past year, Tech is at a crossroads in almost all of our athletic programs. The ACC has stepped up significantly in almost every sport with the additions of strong athletic programs from Louisville to Notre Dame, etc. Our athletic program overall looks far more like Wake Forest than Virginia. Not even close really. Bobinski needs to solve this MBB problem. But then, he has a lot of other problems to solve after that, IMO. Those obviously can and will wait. The next week could make or break Bobinski's era as AD and his time as AD at Tech.

It is also what you get rewarded for by being one of those competitive teams in the upper echelon. The share for one of the 15 going deep in the NCAA's is far greater. When Tech entered the A C C , The Cheaters spent more making their film "gateway to the pros", than Homer Rice had in his basketball budget. Mid-majors feasted on the 250 grand guarantee for just making the Big Dance.

We have become accustomed to settling for being in the league, instead of being the league.

It is also what you get rewarded for by being one of those competitive teams in the upper echelon. The share for one of the 15 going deep in the NCAA's is far greater. When Tech entered the A C C , The Cheaters spent more making their film "gateway to the pros", than Homer Rice had in his basketball budget. Mid-majors feasted on the 250 grand guarantee for just making the Big Dance.

We have become accustomed to settling for being in the league, instead of being the league.

I'm sorry but what did you mean by this (bolded)?

In collegiate sports today, it has been proven that the goodwill, publicity generated for the school athletically has a huge affect on the academic side in contributions, enrollment, etc.

You know who the "blue bloods" are don't you? They get the early season State Farm games that are worth $, the stud recruits that are worth $.

Point spreads FWIW for Sunday's Elite 8 ACC-fest...

-French laying 8 vs Fruit People
-Cheaters laying 10 vs Irish

With Oklahoma beating the snot out of Oregon, pretty good chance the Final Four will be 2 Big 12 teams facing off on one side and 2 ACC teams which we already know facing on the other side.

edit note: though, I hope not...I'm rooting for Villanova

With Oklahoma beating the snot out of Oregon, pretty good chance the Final Four will be 2 Big 12 teams facing off on one side and 2 ACC teams which we already know facing on the other side.

edit note: though, I hope not...I'm rooting for Villanova

I'd enjoy that. I think that OU would like another shot at KU, too. They lost 2 games to them this season by a total of 7 points.

My Final 4 bracket was/is Oklahoma, Villanova, Michigan State, and the Cheaters with the Cheaters defeating Nova for the title. Way to go, Nova!!!

Anal cavities of Frenchies are tightening up significantly at the moment. Glad to see this game open up and not be a snoozer. Good presentation of ACC hoops.

Syracuse could be the first 10-seed to ever make the Final 4. With the Cuse WBB team making the Final 4 earlier today, might this be their finest moment? Still plenty of time for the French to come back, but Big Mo is riding with the Orange now and the French are choking once again.

The French rarely run fast breaks because of their slow ass tempo. They easily broke the Cuse full court press, but then blew opportunity after opportunity on breaks. Kind of humorous when you think about it.

The French rarely run fast breaks because of their slow ass tempo. They easily broke the Cuse full court press, but then blew opportunity after opportunity on breaks. Kind of humorous when you think about it.

True. Then when Cuse got the lead and stopped pressing, the French stopped getting the ball to the middle of the zone and didn't get good looks.

Listening to the crying here in God's Country will be priceless. LOL!!

Way to go, Orange!!

Down 54-39...what a comeback!

Cuse was an 8-pt dog. Glad I played the over (123.5). Looked bad at the half. Woohoo!

Great representation of how deep our league is! That said, I hope the Cheaters end up representing the ACC in the title game. That team poses the most problems to an opponent of anyone remaining.

Last edited:
I was born up there, but feel bad for the 32 years Va. hasn't been in the dance. We were in the Ga. Dome for the FF 4 years ago with 'Cuse.

Speaking of my hommies, not hearing much about King Rice?

As expected, the Cheaters are killing the Irish on the boards. ND has to shoot a very high percentage offensively to keep up. They don't have a lot of options defensively...especially in the paint. The Cheaters can and will just throw the ball at the rim and have 3 big guys out-man Auguste to get the ball 2 feet from the rim.

I hope not. We can and should do a hell of a lot better than that.
No, I am not proposing him for us. More for a mid-major.

I'll turn all "Drew" on someone if that is the splash we are making. He went to my Mother's H.S. Great then, but Cheaters protected him with tons of talent-so not to expose his playing/shooting weaknesses.

Irish are doing what they need to do. Keep shooting well to keep up. Need to avoid the Cheaters going on a big run. If Brice Johnson wants to shoot fade-aways, even better.

Oklahoma (2) v. Villanova (2)
UNC (1) v. Syracuse (10)

How strong was the ACC this year? We won 9 games? Not too shabby.

Times for the Final 4 games Saturday...

6:09pmET Oklahoma vs Villanova
8:49pmET Cheaters vs Fruities

Games are on TBS and not CBS this year, FWIW.

Like our buddy above, I had Cheaters beating 'Nova in the final. I guess that is all that will be remembered ten years from now. The rest of my bracket looks like a crossword puzzle with mistakes.

I have Oklahoma and UNC in the finals with UNC winning it all....

UNC fan have said many times that Wes sounds like is dad on the radio. I am ure they re loving his coverage.

This has to be one of the biggest butt kickings in Final Four history, yes? WOW!

Ho hum. Just another 44 pt win in the Final Four for Nova.

Oklahoma has squawked a lot this week about being the first to make the CFB Playoffs and Final Four in the same school year. Their hoops team found the same fate as their FB team did in the semifinals.

American and Big East Hoops are alive and well. Calling the SEC a power conference and not those 2 conferences (or the A-10) is a joke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT