ADVERTISEMENT

(non-GT unfortunately) March Madness Thread

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Figured I'd start a thread to share info over the next 3 weeks with regards to the NCAAT. I'll root for the A.C.C. teams (yes, even the Cheaters begrudgingly) because every win they get and advance means more money for the A.C.C. kitty to be distributed (read: good for Tech). Having said that, there will be cases potentially where I will set my money grubbing needs aside and root against the A.C.C. - for example, Mercer defeating Duke a couple of years ago I was rooting hard for the Bears for personal family reasons (my Dad's alma mater).

Point spreads FWIW for the first round games...

Thursday
12:15 Duke -9.5 vs UNC Wilmington
3:10 Virginia -23.5 vs Hampton
6:50 Miami -14 vs Buffalo (watch out, Canes!)
7:20 UNC off the board awaiting result of Tuesday's winner between Fla Gulf Coast vs Fairleigh Dickinson

Friday
12:15 Syracuse -1 vs Dayton
6:50 Pitt +1.5 vs Wisconsin
9:40 Notre Dame off the board awaiting result of Wednesday's winner between Michigan vs Tulsa

No team from the state of Georgia in this year's Dance. A repeat of 2013 & 2012.

Last year, both Ga State and the Cesspool were in. Since 2000...

2015: Ga State, Cesspool
2014: Mercer (1 win)
2013: None
2012: None
2011: Cesspool
2010: Ga Tech (1 win)
2009: None
2008: Cesspool
2007: Ga Tech
2006: None
2005: Ga Tech (1 win)
2004: Ga Tech (5 wins)
2003: None
2002: Cesspool (1 win)
2001: Ga State (1 win), Cesspool
2000: Ga Tech

Ga Tech: 5 appearances, 7-5 record
Cesspool: 5 appearances, 1-5 record
Ga State: 2 appearances, 2-2 record
Mercer: 1 appearance, 1-1 record

Savannah State has never participated in the D1 NCAAT. Same for Kennesaw State (had strong success at D2 level winning a national title in 2004 and moved up to D1 a few years later).

Ga Southern's last appearance in the NCAAT was in 1992.

So a unit this year is worth 260, 525. 00?

When you referred to a unit in casual betting, it was 100.00?

Gamblers, Bookmakers call 10 grand a big dime, one grand is a small dime?

I'm curious - who made the final four in your bracket?

I'm rolling the dice that a 10-loss Cal team will make a deep run with two one-and-done types that seem to be jelling with a talented supporting cast (won 9 of their last 11).

I've got the Cheaters getting there because they are the best team I've seen this year. That team has enough talent and versatility to overcome whatever the hell you throw at 'em.

I have included Michigan State because the little bit I've seen of them makes me think Izzo has got a handle on the NCAA rule emphasis changes that ACC refs forgot about late in the season.

I put Duke in my final four because I'm an ACC homer.

I have UNC facing Cal in the championship game with the Cheaters winning it all.

Did you notice that C. Martin is firing an Asst. Coach over a politically incorrect infraction?

Jaylen Brown, Pac. 12 P-O-T-Y winner!

Nice picks. My bracket is from USA Today, with times and t.v. only for the first round. Letting the son have at it. I couldn't pick my nose with my right hand. Deferring to JT622 for brains. He catches my errors, although the baseball team made way more than I did tonight.

I'm going with UNC, Nova to finally avoid choking in early rounds, Oklahoma to get hot from outside the arc, and Michigan State to continue its dominance of the French (if the French even get that far).

UNC over Nova for it all.

Side note, my loveable beagle, Ginger, has UConn and Yale in her Final 4. She's going with dogs and eliminated all cats. Though, she reminded me that Bulldogs aren't much better than cats - ugly, lazy, and serve no real purpose. Kind of like most of my in-laws. But, I digress.

She doesn't know and wouldn't care.

Her Final 4 is... UConn, UNC Asheville, UNC and Butler. I forgot she picked UConn over Yale in the East Regional final. She's got UConn over Butler in the title game.

I'll let you know how she does.

Vandy proved last night it had no business being in the NCAAT. The Selection Committee really pissed the bed on this year's set of at large invitees I believe and they deserve every bit of criticism they've been getting over the last 48+ hours. Buyer beware for anybody picking SEC teams to go deep. It was really a crappy league this year.

edit note: Bama lost by 18 at Creighton yesterday in the first round of the NIT, FWIW. Of course, it is often difficult to gauge the interest level of a team in a MET.

Last edited:
Some first round WATCH OUT's I have my eye on...

Thursday
-WATCH OUT DUKE! The Hitler Youth are 10.5 pt favorites against Colonial's UNC Wilmington. I've seen UNCW about 7 times this season. They are dangerous. The Colonial isn't nearly as strong anymore without departed VCU, Richmond, ODU, etc. But, don't sit on the Seahawks. It's an early game (12:15 tip, first game of the NCAAT) in Providence. The crowd will get behind the Seahawks in the 2nd half if they can hang around. Duke lives and dies with the 3 and if they aren't on, that's an even bigger WATCH OUT because the kids from New Jersey don't play much defense at all.
-WATCH OUT BAYLOR! The Bears were sent packing in their first game last year by 14-seed Georgia State. Yale has the potential to do it again. The Bears are "only" around a 5 or 6 pt favorite so it isn't like Vegas is expecting a blowout here to start with. Don't be surprised if the Bulldogs drive the Baylor bunch crazy.
-WATCH OUT MIAMI! I've seen Buffalo play a few times this season and saw their last 2 wins in the MAC tournament. The Canes laying 13.5 pts seems far too many IMO. I like the Canes to win, but it won't be that easy.
-WATCH OUT PURDUE! The Boilermakers are laying 9 pts to Little Rock, who is very athletic and will get up and down the court for easy baskets. Purdue is a solid team from a solid conference. If they bring their "A" game, they should win and perhaps even by double digits covering the spread. However, if they bring anything less, they could be sent home.
-WATCH OUT INDIANA! Chattanooga is getting 12 pts. That's seems like waaaaaay too many. The Mocs won a very competitive SoCon this year. The Hoosiers are money at home, but just so-so away from Bloomington. An outright upset here will not surprise me at all. At least one 12-seed always beats a 5-seed in the NCAAT and this seems like the most likely one to me.
-WATCH OUT ARIZONA! Wichita State has a solid backcourt. In fact, some make the case it is perhaps the best in the nation. Gregg Marshall's bunch is loaded with experience and as VCU proved a few years ago, a team can come out of the Dayton early-week play in games and make a significant run. This game will be in Providence - note, 3 hours east of Arizona's time zone. This game could be a SHOCKER (pun intended). {edit note: the opening line on this game is a Pick 'Em in Vegas}

Friday
-WATCH OUT CALIFORNIA! I know you are a sexy pick right now and rightfully so. But, true freshmen can have their eyes really big right now and the Rainbows from Hawaii are a very good team that most of the nation knows little about. Cal is laying 7. Like Purdue, if they play their best ball, they will likely win and cover.
-WATCH OUT TEXAS A&M! My sister's Aggies are laying 13 to Green Bay. The SEC really sucks in basketball. Especially this year. Green Bay plays the kind of game that may negate A&M's frantic pace and slow things down to a halfcourt event which most NCAAT games eventually evolve to.

Last edited:
Yale gets it done. Little Rock is making Purdue fans' collective anal cavities very tight here at the end.

Love it. Great time of year.

Little Rock does an 18-5 run over the last 3 minutes to put it into overtime. 1 Big 12 team down (Baylor). 1 Pac 12 team down (Colorado). 1 Big 10 team now in serious trouble (Purdue).

I say again...WATCH OUT Canes!...as they just get started.

Baylor loses in their first game for the 2nd year in a row. Georgia State upset them last year.

Little Rock taking the Boilermakers to a 2nd overtime. Great game to watch. Fun stuff.

Another 12 beats another 5. Little Rock wins in 2OT.

Good bye Big 10 team number one.

Ha! I had two 12-seeds advancing in my bracket and Yale was one of them. Alas, Little Rock wasn't the other. Only one wrong so far - best start I've had in years.

My beagle got 6 of the first 8 right. She picked Yale (loving the Bulldogs) and Little Rock (we're not sure why).

She's strutting around the double wide howling smack at the SWMBO and I. Beyatch!

Canes holding onto a 6-pt lead with 3:42 left. ACC has a great shot to go 4-0 today if they can hold on.

My beagle got 6 of the first 8 right. She picked Yale (loving the Bulldogs) and Little Rock (we're not sure why).

She's strutting around the double wide howling smack at the SWMBO and I. Beyatch!
Has she squatted on a little rock in the t.pk. lately? Could have been a sign. Need to watch her doing business, then you can do some business. Watch out for Guido in Collections.

Canes were on my WATCH OUT list. Hanging on for dear life now. Up 4 with 1:15 left.

Some point spreads now available of possible interest...

-Duke laying "only" 5 pts against Yale
-Virginia laying 7 pts to Butler
-Kansas laying 8 to UConn
-Iowa State laying 6.5 to Ark-Little Rock

That Duke line is curious. If I could get a moneyline wager on Duke that is commensurate with laying five, I'd be all over that (not a big fan of spread wagers). Great call with the Canes on your WATCH OUT list, BTW.

Wagering on Duke would make me nervous. They play very little defense and are very reliant on outscoring teams...which they do well enough of I guess. UNC Wilmington had them on the ropes for most of that game earlier today. If Duke ever started taking any pride whatsoever in defending, they'd be dangerous because they can get very hot outside the arc and just drill you when they are on offensively.

Wichita State doing what I figured they'd do right now against Arizona, who looks lost on a late night on the east coast.

The Arizona - Wichita State game has to be the first ever 6-11 matchup that Vegas had as a pick 'em (on average).

So Arizona is having trouble with biorhythms and/or time change?

I thought young people were more resilient? We should have excuses made for us since we are old-ER.

Did Sean Miller take a clothed shower at the half? He looks thoroughly drenched in that shirt he's wearing.

A C C currently leads with 11, which means almost 3 million earned? That is divided by 15? Forgive me for doing some math(I know you said none of that allowed or expected here).

Somewhat unrelated, ND as a partial member in that one sport is not entitled to any football revenue at all? They keep all of their NBC money, gate receipts for A C C home, shares when playing A C C teams on road? If any of those 5 contests per year(minimum amount of games obligated each football season)are on a different network, do they get any of that individual t.v. revenue? Say when Tech played them on NBC in 2015, do we get a dime from NBC? or does ND take the pot?

This article is 2 years old, but offers a little insight into the money we're talking about for each team participating and then advancing... https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/ncaa-money/

I could be wrong - it happened once back in 1974 - but here are my stabs at your other questions...

1. ND gets no ACC FB money
2. ND keeps its NBC money, gate receipts for ACC home game, though doesn't get diddly for ACC road games. When GT hosts ND in FB in 2019, we aren't giving them anything. They pay their own expenses. The game being hosted by us means our TV partner ESPN by contract has control of where/when the game is televised.
3. We - collectively, the 14 ACC FB members - don't get diddly for playing them at their place on NBC.

On a related note, my continued opinion hasn't changed since all this conference reshuffling began and that is ND will remain independent in football for a very long time and perhaps forever. They have things exactly the way they want them as an independent in FB while the olive branch of 5 ACC FB games per year works for them and giving their non-FB programs a respectable home in the ACC (and a desirable geographical location as well...they want to stay in the east).

After reading that article, one needs cliff notes. I will need to reread that before each foregoing March Madness.

Thanks for the guidance on the Catholics. That contract is a little complicated too!

At least your last mistake was before going to Tech, mine was not going there-thus making at least one per day. Poor too, since giving them all of my money with only heartache in return.

See, your life has been "golden" while mine is more of a panther "blue". Need to get over to Fatt Matt's Rib Shack for some of the good blues, makes life better. Music and food, no real order!

Cha-ching for the ACC. Syracuse is handling Dayton in surprisingly easy fashion. Up by 17 with just under 10 mins left. Nice! ACC moves to 5-0 in the tournament assuming they hang on.

After going 14 of 16 yesterday, my bracket is on the brink with a pair of final four teams down by six at the moment.

After Middle Tennessee State took out Michigan State, 6 out of over 13 million brackets at ESPN.com are still perfect.

In all these decades of filling out tourney brackets I've never lost two final four teams in the first round. Ouch!! I was feeling pretty smart after yesterday's games. Today...not so much. Here's to hoping ND and Pitt can keep the ACC undefeated in this thing. So far it's looking like ACC conference play was good prep for tourney play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT