ADVERTISEMENT

GT@Cheaters...Nov. 5...12:30 ACC Network Split Broadcast

Great news!! PJ Davis advises he is 100% and will be back this week at Cheaterville... http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/georgia-tech-linebacker-pj-davis-gives-his-own-inj/ns2nK/

Georgia Tech linebacker P.J. Davis said Tuesday that he will be back in the lineup for the North Carolina game after missing the past two with a hamstring injury.

“I feel 100 percent,” Davis said after the team’s practice. “I feel pretty good running around.”
Great news , now we got to get Mills back to have the inside game .

You got it, mate. My fingers are crossed about Mills getting back by this weekend. With the concussion protocols, they'll take their time and rightfully so. That's one thing where the game has improved for the better significantly over the past 5 years. That is, taking these head injuries far more serious than ever before.

edit note: it's tough enough to be a student at Tech...it's even tougher to be a student-athlete...then, throw in a head injury (whether an athlete or regular student) and that's a very tough situation to be in from an academic perspective

This is a bad matchup for our defense. Really bad. I think our best hope defensively is to play 7 and 8 man zones and hope they make enough mistakes to give us a chance. It will be frustrating to watch as a fan, but strategically it's probably the right thing to do. At the end of the day, we are going to need the offense to control the clock and score TD's on most every possession to win this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Melanie1
Tuesday practice:
It has been a tail of two halves most of the season for Georgia Tech's defense and with #18 North Carolina on the horizon on the road, defensive coordinator Ted Roof thinks his unit has the toughest challenge of the year so far ahead of them.

"They got a lot of balance and they read coverages really well and their quarterback sees things really well so they are hard to fool," Roof said. "He makes adjustments accordingly. If you load up to stop this or that, #34 and #8 will come at you and they are home run hitters as well."

Playing an up tempo team like North Carolina makes things harder on a defense that has struggled at times like the Jackets.

"The tempo cuts down on your time to process the defensive call and time to process the offensive formation and any tendencies you may have learned during the week. It makes you rely on your base stuff and do what you've done," Roof said. "We have to simplify things to avoid mistakes and play so we can play better defense."

Monday practice:
After practice Monday, Georgia Tech football coach Paul Johnson said he believes that his sophomore safety Jalen Johnson was wrongly arrested and he will not suspend or act on the matter until the police resolve things.

"I think I would urge everybody to let all the facts come in and let the investigation unfold. Then we will make an appropriate action and statement," Johnson said. "Guys are innocent until proven guilty. Just because it happened (he was arrested) doesn't mean he is guilty. Let's let the facts play out and we've talked to several people and the police are still investigating what happened and we will go from there."

Jalen Johnson is not suspended and it sounded like Paul Johnson expects his sophomore safety to be exonerated.

"If there needs to be punishment we will issue it, but it will be in line with the offense," he said. "Until we come to some determination (he can play). I think in this country you are innocent until proven guilty and if it was a slam dunk and we knew what happened then you act. You wait to find out the facts. I'm not sure this will even be an issue when it all plays out."

Johnson also said that he thought B-back Dedrick Mills would return. Mills, Tech’s leading rusher, missed Saturday’s game after suffering a concussion in practice this past week, according to a report during Tech’s pregame radio broadcast.

Ahhhh yes, I've been waiting for the "simplify" word to be used.

Key words when things go wrong...

1. "Lining up right"
2. "Simplify"

I wonder how many times during the Al Groh era we "simplified" the defensive scheme? And, funny how whenever the offense isn't working, it is because these young scholars have incredible difficulty of "lining up right".

LOL

3)"Gap scheme"
4)When getting blown out, which means the defense broke down giving up a ton of points..."we as coaches need to get them in the right position to make plays". We need to do a better job of that.

How about for the offense, blaming it on a penalty, having to use a timeout before the play clock expired or a turnover or two-"We kept shooting ourselves in the foot"?

Beautiful weather expected for Saturday...temps in low 60's, clear & sunny

Nice!

Ahhhh yes, I've been waiting for the "simplify" word to be used.

Key words when things go wrong...

1. "Lining up right"
2. "Simplify"

I wonder how many times during the Al Groh era we "simplified" the defensive scheme? And, funny how whenever the offense isn't working, it is because these young scholars have incredible difficulty of "lining up right".

LOL
When the offenses start simplifying their approach, the defenses will get simpler. The players just need to find more time to learn the complexities.

Is "gap integrity" the same as gap scheme? We hear that all the time. Does that mean to stay in your lane? What about when a stunt or blitz is run(you remain in your spot, no?)?

This is a bad matchup for our defense. Really bad. I think our best hope defensively is to play 7 and 8 man zones and hope they make enough mistakes to give us a chance. It will be frustrating to watch as a fan, but strategically it's probably the right thing to do. At the end of the day, we are going to need the offense to control the clock and score TD's on most every possession to win this one.

I agree with this and it will drive a lot of Tech fans crazy I know in advance. Of course, if we go m-2-m on the corners and are burned deep continually, those same fans will scream bloody murder because we are getting beat deep.

Throw in also that the Cheaters are one of the fastest offenses in terms of tempo we face all year - perhaps the fastest - and it negates abilities to switch out defenders, make proper stunt calls, etc. When a play is over, our defenders will get their hind parts into position quicker than ever this week and most of the time stick with base stuff...which, to your point and I agree, will be a lot of base 4-man rush and 7 back in zone coverage.

I expect to see at least 5 DB's starting the game and playing almost exclusively throughout. We get little pass rush and Trubisky will get rid of the ball quickly. That doesn't mean our DL's are negated in what they can do though. First and foremost that has to be our first line of defense in the running game. The Cheaters don't run it much, but they can be dangerous when they do. Mainly because of all the respect given to their passing attack. And, Hood is a quality RB. He may have a bright future in the NFL coming out of a pass-happy system (see Bay Bay for the reverse scenario). Our DL's absolutely MUST get their hands up and 1) deflect some passes and 2) block Trubisky's passing lanes/vision. They'll throw the bubble screen to Switzer at least 5 times. Hopefully, Freeman, Chungong, Simmons, et al, will be able to get their hands up and out to create havoc to that play.

Like I said yesterday, we could give up 28+ in this game - and likely will - and still have a pretty decent defensive game. Especially if we can force FG's instead of TD's as well as get 2 or more TO's.

I hope the fans around us want to stand for most of the game because the seating in Kenan will have your knees in your throat. Definitely the worst designed from a seating perspective of all college stadiums I've been to (and I've been to a lot of them). Hopefully, the Good Guys will give us a lot to stand up for anyway. But, I digress.

I'm dooming us by posting here (sorry for messing up the superstitions STech81!). We need a perfect game on offense. Touchdowns on every drive. IMHO we will be unable to stop them on defense. Georgia Southern, who hasn't been able to GENERATE anything on offense against some inferior talent like New Mexico State and Arkansas State, put up a bunch on us. Same thing with Duke. They aren't great on offense. This could get ugly!!

I'm dooming us by posting here (sorry for messing up the superstitions STech81!). We need a perfect game on offense. Touchdowns on every drive. IMHO we will be unable to stop them on defense. Georgia Southern, who hasn't been able to GENERATE anything on offense against some inferior talent like New Mexico State and Arkansas State, put up a bunch on us. Same thing with Duke. They aren't great on offense. This could get ugly!!
I'm ok I will just need to Sacrifice live chicken. :)

Will sacrifice a doughnut without any sprinkles left on it from the new Shaq Krispy Kreme on Ponce. The icy hot pain relief pad shall be kept until after the game, that he sold me.

We will upset one of these next two opponents on the road.

Now that I've made my feelings clear, what about you fartekers?

Now that I've made my feelings clear, what about you fartekers?
I would love to beat VT but we have a better chance with unc because of their defense. We pretty much know that VT ( Bud Foster ) has our number. As far as hate for me it would be
1-98 uga
99 VT
100 unc

Tech reverses course and suspends Jalen Johnson and Christian Campbell... http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...-suspends-two-players-after-weekend-incident/
Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson had previously been supportive of keeping both Johnson and Campbell with the team ahead of their trip to play North Carolina on Saturday but was apparently overruled by school administrators

And now you can see what CPJ has to put up with at Tech.
( just my opinion the problems here )

Respectfully disagree.
Just asking why ? We all have our Opinions but yours could be different because you went to Tech . I just want to know because most of the time we have agree and I like to hear your opinion.

Last edited:
IMO, not enough evidence known to jump to a conclusion that CPJ is even right. Further, and certainly then, not enough known that he is having to put up with anything at Tech with regards specifically to this case.

Guys have been charged with battery. The GTPD must have thought enough of the event to do that - and, to at least 1 Tech FB S-A and at least 1 LSU FB S-A. Might the GTPD be wrong? Might the GT Administration be wrong? Might the LSU folks be wrong? Yes, yes and yes. But, they might be right, right and right. And, they have a responsibility to all students, not just FB S-A's.

Further, the writer of the article doesn't even know. He used the word "apparently". Speculation. And, even if the GT Administration "overruled", they know a hell of a lot more about all this than we do (including procedures which are followed) - and I bet, the author of the article who is speculating.

We'll see where this goes.

IMO, not enough evidence known to jump to a conclusion that CPJ is even right. Further, and certainly then, not enough known that he is having to put up with anything at Tech with regards specifically to this case.

Guys have been charged with battery. The GTPD must have thought enough of the event to do that - and, to at least 1 Tech FB S-A and at least 1 LSU FB S-A. Might the GTPD be wrong? Might the GT Administration be wrong? Might the LSU folks be wrong? Yes, yes and yes. But, they might be right, right and right. And, they have a responsibility to all students, not just FB S-A's.

Further, the writer of the article doesn't even know. He used the word "apparently". Speculation. And, even if the GT Administration "overruled", they know a hell of a lot more about all this than we do (including procedures which are followed) - and I bet, the author of the article who is speculating.

We'll see where this goes.
Ok I understand ;) Lets just beat unc.

I was surprised both weren't suspended immediately after the arrests happened. If anything, allowing them to continue to participate says that CPJ has too much power. Let the system do what it was designed to do before casting a verdict.

Wednesday practice:
Georgia Tech wrapped up full padded practice for North Carolina on Wednesday and head coach Paul Johnson said the key now is to keep everyone healthy for the final stretch run of games.

"Practice has been okay, no problem. It is typical this time of year that you cutback and try to get everyone healthy," Johnson said.

Starting B-back Dedrick Mills missed the Duke game with a concussion and Johnson said he was able to practice on Wednesday.

"Dedrick was able to go today," Johnson said. "We will see (if he can go on Saturday)."

Mills has been cleared by the concussion protocol according to Johnson.

Johnson also said he has no idea what to expect on Saturday from his team and UNC that have struggled so much on defense.

"You never know what to expect sometimes when you expect something you get a 6-3 game," Johnson joked. "We haven't had a 6-3 game in a while, but it is not out of the realm of possibility."

"You never know what to expect sometimes when you expect something you get a 6-3 game," Johnson joked. "We haven't had a 6-3 game in a while, but it is not out of the realm of possibility."

I think it is very possible this could be a 6-3 game...with 10 minutes to go in the 1st quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT