ADVERTISEMENT

GT@Cheaters...Nov. 5...12:30 ACC Network Split Broadcast

He will get another year. I'm not holding my breath that he will be anywhere but Tech next year. We will look the same. Our defense will be crap. Our offense will be crap. Both will look OK against weak competition. We have very little chance against the rest of the Coastal, Clemson, Cesspool, or Tennessee. Another 5 or 6 wins. That's about it. He will continue to make bizarre statements that infuriate me.

This season is going about as I projected, though I thought we'd do better yesterday. I picked us to lose the opener, but beat Miami. I guess I shouldn't be too alarmed because 6-6/3-5 is where I had us pegged and that looks like a good chance of happening.

I'm now on a 5-game losing streak in games I've attended over last season and this. Only the Pitt game earlier this season did I feel somewhat OK with...or, at least encouraged for potential to improve. This has been a sinking ship since Notre Dame last year. I have zero faith that this head coach will do anything but run his pie hole, lack acceptance of FULL responsibility of everyone passing us by while we continually underachieve, and we continue to look more and more like Wake Forest, Duke and Virginia than we do the upper half of the ACC.

Just a few days ago, I thought we had a legit shot at beating one of the worst Cesspool teams I've seen in the last 40 years. We may piss that opportunity away as well this year it appears now.

Perhaps I should just step away from Tech FB for a while...though, I'll be there this Saturday. I think I would feel better about things if the commentary by our head coach gave me some feeling of hope. :(

CTR tried everything from 8-man zone to cover 1 (and everything in between) and the results were bad regardless of the call. What I saw was kids getting beat - plain and simple, a lot like our O-line last year. I suspect we will see a lot of shirts burned next year on defense, just like the O-line this year. I think Swilling, Bonds, and Askew will all end up contributing on the back end of our defense next season. Jordan-Swilling's shirt gets burned for sure. I still say we are in a lull caused by heavy attrition in classes that would be upperclassmen now. It is critical for us to close out this 2017 class strongly.

As for the defense being an issue under CPJ, I will say that I was cautioned by people in the biz that coordinating defense in a program that runs a funky offense is a challenge. Part of the issue is that the defense is facing a funky offense for nearly all of their off season reps. The other being that it's difficult to put together a scout team that is representative of what they will be facing on Saturdays. I'm sure those are valid issues, but all I ask for (and all we need) is to be consistently mediocre on defense. We vacillate between mediocrity and being a steaming pile of cow dung on D, and we are almost a decade into this experiment.

Coaching...players...both...all of the above.

Also have to tip the cap to the opposing offenses. The Cheaters have a very good offense. Balanced with perhaps a 1st round draft pick at QB, Hood is a quality RB who will potentially have a nice career in the NFL, and receivers who run good routes. Switzer, Proehl, others...very good.

Pitt's offensive coaching is terrific. They are very innovative and spread the ball around really well.

This upcoming Saturday we will see a potent offensive attack. Isaiah Ford will be the best WR we will face all year. He should be drooling looking at our defense. Then again, everybody on their offense should be drooling looking at our defense.

Of course, their defense should be drooling looking at our offense too. The fat opening line of the Hokies laying 14 is indicative of their program on the rise and ours in decline.

Thank Buddha there is always hoops season. Wait. Nevermind. *SIGH* ;)

I will go on record saying that I love CTR. No, I can't stand losing or the way our defense has played in the last 3 of the 4 games. Yes, those are good offensive teams(well, at least two of them are fine). As described above, GTJT622 gave a great synopsis of our trouble. The GT defensive play is inexcusable. The offense is not commanding or dominating.

I'm also factoring in his salary, his love for the institute and his recruiting contribution(Tenuta gave us zero on the latter topic). I'll admit we could hire a younger, better, commander on that side of the ball, however realism should be examined. Maybe you can find an up and coming DC which there are plenty of. Maybe they accept the salary as decent for themselves. Will they come here? It's not a football school, unless I'm missing something on these Saturdays?

Have at me. I know this opinion is in the minority. On other GT boards, a faction that is angry as heck, would rip me a new one. You guys know I love Tech with all of my heart and this is our main sport for revenue, so what's the answer?

Would a big time D-Coord. or even a modestly good D-Coord. want to work for CPJ?

I am in the group that believes GTAA doesn't receive the priority it needs. I see GT falling behind in Power 5 teams. It is not going to be easy getting this fixed.

Yes , but not for the GTAA

I have no problem with the GTAA taking whatever heat it gets. It is a poorly run organization and has been for a while. I think more in terms of communications (awful), contracts (dumb), etc.

You think a step-up D-Coord. is looking at our GTAA in a hypothetical decision to come to Tech and work here ahead of CPJ?

I will go on record saying that I love CTR. No, I can't stand losing or the way our defense has played in the last 3 of the 4 games. Yes, those are good offensive teams(well, at least two of them are fine). As described above, GTJT622 gave a great synopsis of our trouble. The GT defensive play is inexcusable. The offense is not commanding or dominating.

I'm also factoring in his salary, his love for the institute and his recruiting contribution(Tenuta gave us zero on the latter topic). I'll admit we could hire a younger, better, commander on that side of the ball, however realism should be examined. Maybe you can find an up and coming DC which there are plenty of. Maybe they accept the salary as decent for themselves. Will they come here? It's not a football school, unless I'm missing something on these Saturdays?

Have at me. I know this opinion is in the minority. On other GT boards, a faction that is angry as heck, would rip me a new one. You guys know I love Tech with all of my heart and this is our main sport for revenue, so what's the answer?

Just like I don't think CPJ's hind parts are warm, I don't see CTR being removed either. For lots of reasons of which a couple stand out... 1) he returns a lot of his 2-deep and starters next year and 2) his recruiting has been solid on that side of the ball since returning to Tech (don't think we want to risk messing up what appears to be a solid '17 class entering regarding potential game changers on the D side of the ball). There are other reasons.

Having said that, we need DL's badly. Still 3 months before signing day. I don't think CMP all of a sudden forgot how to coach and develop players there. And, it wasn't long ago that we were all giddy that CMP chose to stay at Tech when he was coveted elsewhere.

I'm admittedly not in a good frame of mind right now regarding our FB program. But, I've seen much worse days...as I know you girls have too. Maybe next year will be better. Let's hope so. We definitely should have a lot of returnees and some good ones coming in. If we can somehow get a win 2 days after Turkey Day, I will call this season a success. We'll see how this plays out. Don't have any other choice.

I'm rooting for CTR as well. He's a good guy who bleeds gold. I am very biased I fully admit towards CTR and our defense in general. Having said that, I have called the spade a spade with the pathetic performances the last few weeks - the Duke game was much worse considering their O compared to the Cheaters or Pitt's O. No denying this D is on rocky waters right now (and over the last month especially). I'm not sure what a staff change on the D-side of the ball will accomplish at this point, but I can see some significant risks to causing even bigger problems in terms of personnel if CPJ chooses to go with a 4th D-Coord. heading into his 10th year as HC.

Would a big time D-Coord. or even a modestly good D-Coord. want to work for CPJ?
Exactly the reason I don't want to change Teddy out. Who wants to work for a fascist, pretending to ignore your duties as long as you're holding up the team? It's a no win job. The showcase is the 3Option, not the bend BDB "D"(wish he would go back to letting CTR get aggressive). Chan and George had to be easier to work for, as an observation point.

The pay will probably never be as much as Ralph made here(which is not going to keep a successful rising superstar coach). Offense seems to be valued more.

3 things to also consider...

1. Stansbury is the new AD. He can't be happy with what he's seeing - on either side of the ball.

2. Stansbury played on the same defense with CTR. Unsure that has any bearing on anything - kind of hope it doesn't - but those 2 guys go way back nonetheless.

3. I echo my wife's question from earlier this season (that has never received any kind of answer, btw)... "who is our Offensive Coordinator accountable to?"

Maybe the Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator need to have a chat?

stuart-smalley.jpg

I have no problem with the GTAA taking whatever heat it gets. It is a poorly run organization and has been for a while. I think more in terms of communications (awful), contracts (dumb), etc.

You think a step-up D-Coord. is looking at our GTAA in a hypothetical decision to come to Tech and work here ahead of CPJ?
He should if he is thinking of taking the job. When your GTAA Board of Trustees have 14 votes and 8 ( 57% ) are Faculty Members it should raise a red flag. ( IMO)
I have no backup for this part and can only said what I read ( It could have been in the AJC so it may not be true). CPJ could not hire his first pick for DC because the pay was to low. Before he hired CTR he wanted CCK but he took the FSU job. Not sure if CPJ maybe waited to long to talk to him or what happen.

Your assumption is that these 8 faculty members are somehow anti-success for the FB program? That's the way I read it with your use of the words "red flag".

I believe the money does play a huge part, and that is where Stansbury has to show up for the fight. Unlike the new Purdue AD, when he accepted his pay here.

Please tell the wife we are not ignoring her. Didn't she and Ginger sit down to watch the VHS tape that I mailed, called: "The Three Faces of Eve"? Darn that snail mail, nothing arrives as they keep unbuttoning their Postal shirts and drink 1$ beverages at McDonald's all day long. Insert smiley face here.

Last day of the stumping circus going on, called an election. Please Buddha, no runoffs, all the way down these ballots.

Your assumption is that these 8 faculty members are somehow anti-success for the FB program? That's the way I read it with your use of the words "red flag".
IMO they are they are appointed by the president , are they not ? I'm asking not telling. If so that can be a problem , look at other schools and most of the time it's more businessman and alumni.

This is what I would like to see the week. First remember Bud has out coached CPJ ( IOM)
I would like to see him spend a week ( this week ) with the defense to find out the problem . Hell maybe even call the defesive plays. And let CBC call the offensive plays this week. I know it's not going to happen but to fix or find out the problem this is what I think needs to be done.

IMO they are they are appointed by the president , are they not ? I'm asking not telling. If so that can be a problem , look at other schools and most of the time it's more businessman and alumni.

This is what I would like to see the week. First remember Bud has out coached CPJ ( IOM)
I would like to see him spend a week ( this week ) with the defense to find out the problem . Hell maybe even call the defesive plays. And let CBC call the offensive plays this week. I know it's not going to happen but to fix or find out the problem this is what I think needs to be done.

What difference does it make whether they are appointed by the president or not? Why is that a problem? All of the faculty reps I knew - and I had classes under at least 4 of them - when I was a student at Tech were very pro-athletics and pro-FB. I don't get the automatic assumption that faculty reps are a root of some kind of problem why our offense and defense look like crap. We had the same type of faculty representation on our board of trustees when we won a national title 26 years ago and 2 years ago when we won 11 games and when we went to MEGs for 18 years in a row.

I have looked around at other schools and most of them have significant faculty representation. Even the Cesspool. And, we all know there is a power structure of businessmen and alums who have been taking care of GT FB for a VERY VERY long time. We just lost one (GRHS!) this past month. When CPJ was hired, we had an AD (not faculty rep) who was the facilities guy. He was raising money to build shiny new buildings - even an unnecessary indoor practice facility that we use maybe 10 times a year, if that many. The money to pay off Gailey's contract was taken care of by that power structure I mentioned. I believe any statements or implied messages that the faculty reps on the BoT are somehow holding Tech back are completely unfounded. Sounds like a bunch of manure that is spewed by the same cast of sad sack characters on other GT message boards. It's convenient. Unfounded, but convenient.

And, I think CPJ needs to fix the offense. It sucks. It is utter crap. Keep his fingers as far away from the defense as possible and do better than the crap we've seen the majority of this season and last on his side of the ball. It's odd that the defense takes all the grief while this offense is a flaming pile of monkey turds.

Maybe CPJ is just now realizing that "I guess" he's responsible for both of them. (his words)

What difference does it make whether they are appointed by the president or not? Why is that a problem? All of the faculty reps I knew - and I had classes under at least 4 of them - when I was a student at Tech were very pro-athletics and pro-FB. I don't get the automatic assumption that faculty reps are a root of some kind of problem why our offense and defense look like crap. We had the same type of faculty representation on our board of trustees when we won a national title 26 years ago and 2 years ago when we won 11 games and when we went to MEGs for 18 years in a row.

I have looked around at other schools and most of them have significant faculty representation. Even the Cesspool. And, we all know there is a power structure of businessmen and alums who have been taking care of GT FB for a VERY VERY long time. We just lost one (GRHS!) this past month. When CPJ was hired, we had an AD (not faculty rep) who was the facilities guy. He was raising money to build shiny new buildings - even an unnecessary indoor practice facility that we use maybe 10 times a year, if that many. The money to pay off Gailey's contract was taken care of by that power structure I mentioned. I believe any statements or implied messages that the faculty reps on the BoT are somehow holding Tech back are completely unfounded. Sounds like a bunch of manure that is spewed by the same cast of sad sack characters on other GT message boards. It's convenient. Unfounded, but convenient.

And, I think CPJ needs to fix the offense. It sucks. It is utter crap. Keep his fingers as far away from the defense as possible and do better than the crap we've seen the majority of this season and last on his side of the ball. It's odd that the defense takes all the grief while this offense is a flaming pile of monkey turds.

Maybe CPJ is just now realizing that "I guess" he's responsible for both of them. (his words)
I guess we will just disagree.
Not sure what your problem with the offense is the last few weeks. Last week we had 518 yards , yes 20 points is not good, but on the two yards line you had the Guard hold on the opposite side we were running. Damn our coaches for teaching that to a player. And 2 fumbles that did not help but maybe we will stop coaching them to fumble. Oh and lets not forget the best kicker we have had in years miss a FG.

The week before that we had 605 yards and 38 points.

So what are you looking for from an offense?

Let me know who you find as a new Head coach when you go shopping this year at the ( " need a +10 win coach" ) maybe they will have a sell after Christmas.

Wasn't the FG blocked? Our offense should have done more with that NC defense.

I'm not trying to gang up on you, because the AD is a major component of the GTAA. So we agree on that part, not sure if GTJT622 sees it that way-not speaking for him on AD matters. The budget should be expanded for coaches salaries to compete at an SEC level, since we are in the middle of their country in direct competition(although, we probably do fit in with most of the ACC). Not to take CPJ's side on that, because I've always felt that way back to the Doug Weaver days.

Wasn't the FG blocked? Our offense should have done more with that NC defense.

I'm not trying to gang up on you, because the AD is a major component of the GTAA. So we agree on that part, not sure if GTJT622 sees it that way-not speaking for him on AD matters. The budget should be expanded for coaches salaries to compete at an SEC level, since we are in the middle of their country in direct competition(although, we probably do fit in with most of the ACC). Not to take CPJ's side on that, because I've always felt that way back to the Doug Weaver days.
Watch it again it was a low kick they blocked at the LOS a mistake on the kicker or could have been on the holder short kick you get it up long kicks are lower it was a short kick. Plus if you check the AD does not have a vote. Only 14 can vote ( this was last year and 2014) Will the new AD have a vote I don't know I know the last one didn't but the could have been for the best.

Who makes up the budget at the GTAA? I thought the controller was under the AD? Doesn't the AD get appropriations approved through the board?

When I was an HOA President, of two different subdivisions I resided in-I only voted during a tie between officers. I brought three bids to the table on every job sought.

Not trying to be a smart alleck.

O.K., got it. The AD is one of the 5 officers and they don't have voting privileges. The other 8 do. So DRad must of kissed a little, to get all of that construction budget approved.

O.K., got it. The AD is one of the 5 officers and they don't have voting privileges. The other 8 do. So DRad must of kissed a little, to get all of that construction budget approved.
This may help:

The voting membership of its Board of Trustees shall consist of the President of the Georgia Institute of Technology; the Treasurer of the Association, who shall be Georgia Tech’s Executive Vice-President for Administration and Finance; eight (8) members of the Georgia Tech Faculty, of whom six (6) must be members of the Academic Faculty (one of whom shall be designated by the President as the Faculty Athletics Representative); three (3) alumni; and three (3) Georgia Tech Students.

I guess we will just disagree.
Not sure what your problem with the offense is the last few weeks. Last week we had 518 yards , yes 20 points is not good, but on the two yards line you had the Guard hold on the opposite side we were running. Damn our coaches for teaching that to a player. And 2 fumbles that did not help but maybe we will stop coaching them to fumble. Oh and lets not forget the best kicker we have had in years miss a FG.

The week before that we had 605 yards and 38 points.

So what are you looking for from an offense?

Let me know who you find as a new Head coach when you go shopping this year at the ( " need a +10 win coach" ) maybe they will have a sell after Christmas.

I'm on your side on this, stech. I think it would be a huge mistake to make a change - thought the same thing about Gailey too. This is a tough place to run a football program, and there is a learning curve involved to get it going here. I thought Gailey had it figured out when he was pushed out, and I think the same thing about CPJ now. The offense works, full stop. I do believe my friends in the biz that defense is a challenge, but our current defensive coordinator is a helluva recruiter - especially in the state of Georgia. The current scholar-athlete pipeline says that 2018 and beyond should be good years for Tech football. I think it would be absurd to even think about making a change until after the 2018 season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT