ADVERTISEMENT

Game 10 Microscope: Virginia Tech Hokies

Huge pick 6 by one of our 2015-class studs!

As good as that was, the 1st down play brought an even bigger smile to my face. True freshman Cerge-Henderson played the 1-technique to perfection and fellow true freshman Brant Mitchell filled the gap for a gain of zero. That pumped me up!!!!

Nice job holding em to a FG. Need a nice drive here. Give the D some time to rest at minimum.

Defense with an outstanding 3 and out there after the fumble. Nice!

Our D is gassed but fighting valiantly. Offense needs to piss a drop or two to have any hope.

Hokie inside backer is reading the option perfectly now. A bootleg or misdirection would go for big yards while messing his reading up.

Gotta tip the cap to our defense so far. The O could really put some nice insurance out there with a score. Right now, just hoping for a freakin' first down.

Defense has come up huge tonight!!! We really need to scrap the pitch option for the rest of the evening. The off tackle thing to Marcus Allen looked good and the midline also looked good. Come on CPJ, find a way!!!

I feel terrible for Marcus Allen. I'm afraid our defense is cooked, but they played with heart tonight.

Applause to the D. If they can play like that 2 days after I fill my face with turkey, we will win. And, I'll be a happy guy.

The offense is just sad to watch.

Our offense kind of sucks.

2 scores on 2 1Q drives (one thanks partly to a TO created by the D near midfield) and then no pts scored by the O the rest of the way. What's more alarming is we didn't even threaten the red zone thanks to stymied drives or especially fumbles.

Would not mind at all to see Jordan get a series or two in last 2 games. Mix it up. Maybe observing a series or two on the sidelines might help JT5. He was given the same opps when he was a freshman and Vad was the by far #1 starter.

The playmakers on D tonight were #51, #94, #54 and #28. #28 is going to be drafted next spring, but the other three are true freshmen. This has been a terribly disappointing season, but the 2015 class has the potential of being something very special.

One so called fan behind me kept yelling Brod. Shoddy each time he fumbled. Then he was hollering "Sloppy Joe" when the 15 yard penalty cooked our FG chance.

I thought Joe looked good on some second tier blocks I observed. I hope he applies for another year like Byerly has. Klock looked good too. I'm speaking mainly of the run blocking mind you. The pass protection looks like the old western gold rush.

We have more than 50 guys who are Freshmen or Sophomores. Might not have to wait until 2017 when all these Atlanta teams have new stadiums and we play Tenn. in one of them. Could be good in JT5's last season, 2016?

If only the offense wouldn't take two steps back when the defense stepped up. I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible for us to have a good defense and a good offense in the same game (against real competition). Blergh.

Let's hope the O and D come together and have their best games on Nov. 28th. "Hope" being the operative word.

If the D can be consistently mediocre, that will suffice. And if the O will not be the Cesspool's best friend in being benevolent with charitable handouts of the ball, that will suffice too.

The D has now performed well in 2 of 8 games against P5 competition. If they can get to 4 of 10 by Nov. 29th, does that qualify as consistently mediocre? We'll see.

If only the offense wouldn't take two steps back when the defense stepped up. I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible for us to have a good defense and a good offense in the same game (against real competition). Blergh.
I know......

amazing isn't it.

In everyone's estimation, has the offense had one single good game against p5 competition?

Only estimating for me and not everyone ;), but my vote is...

tumblr_mn1zccsN5x1r9n4wao1_500.gif

images

Tech has scored 20+ in every game this season (and going back to last year, we have done this now 24 games in a row). Last time we didn't put that many up was in the Music City Bowl to end the 2013 season in the 25-17 loss to the Rebs.

But, peeking under the covers just a wee bit more and we see...

vs Va Tech - the defense scored a TD, the O put up 14 pts (all in 1Q)

vs FSU - special teams scored the game winning TD, the O put up 16 pts

vs Clemson - the defense scored a TD, the O put up 17 pts

So, in 3 of our last 5 games, the offense is not putting up points nearly like we've seen in previous years (not even talking about the 2014 season...looking back more at the mediocre years between '10 and '13).

In everyone's estimation, has the offense had one single good game against p5 competition?

Not this year. I figured we'd take a step back because of the loss of experienced blocking would mean some of the pass/outside plays we made last year wouldn't work as well in the early part of the season. But I was thinking 7-5. I know we have a young team but the offense seems to made ZERO progress since the Notre Dame game. That worries me for next year. I like CPJ and hope he gets it together in the off-season. This season's schedule has actually been TOUGHER than predicted, even though we knew ND, Clemson, FSU, and Ugag would be hard. Duke and UNC were better than I thought they'd be and UVA is better than their record. VT always comes down to a handful of points. Other than our first two games, we haven't played any weak opponents.

Not this year. I figured we'd take a step back because of the loss of experienced blocking would mean some of the pass/outside plays we made last year wouldn't work as well in the early part of the season. But I was thinking 7-5. I know we have a young team but the offense seems to made ZERO progress since the Notre Dame game. That worries me for next year. I like CPJ and hope he gets it together in the off-season. This season's schedule has actually been TOUGHER than predicted, even though we knew ND, Clemson, FSU, and Ugag would be hard. Duke and UNC were better than I thought they'd be and UVA is better than their record. VT always comes down to a handful of points. Other than our first two games, we haven't played any weak opponents.
I kind of agree unc is better than I thought but with a 21 point lead one would think we should have won. Pitt and Uva hurt because their not that good. Like you I have seem no progress on the offensive side of the ball after 10 weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT