ADVERTISEMENT

Game 10 Microscope: Virginia Tech Hokies

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Virginia Tech is one of three ACC members (FSU and Pitt being the other two) who currently has an all-time series lead over the Jackets. The Hokies are 8-4. The first meeting was a nail biter back in 1990 at home the week after Tech's exciting upset at Scott Sisson Stadium. Tech turned the ball over far too many times on a cold blustery day on Grant Field against a good Hokie squad. Tech's D created a late TO which led to a Scott Sisson FG to win the game, 6-3, in the final minutes for the 2nd week in a row.

Tech will honor the 1990 National Champions at this game. Should be added fun with a wonderful walk down memory lane. Hopefully, we will see these awesome retro uniforms...
g-jones_shawn.jpg

(I wouldn't mind having the guy in the uniform too :>)

Since the Hokies have joined the ACC with the first game in 2004, they have pretty much dominated the series with a 8-3 record. Of course, one of the more bizarre Tech games I've ever attended never actually happened back in 2000 on Labor Day night in Blacksburg which was supposed to feature a 10th ranked Michael Vick-led Hokies team against a Jackets team coming off an 8-4 season where we finished #20. Lightning and strong storms drove us fans into the concessions area packed in like sardines before the game was eventually suspended.

A deeper look within the 8-3 run by the Hokies as ACC members provides a not-so-surprising stat for Yellow Jacket fans and one that will hopefully be broken this upcoming November 12th. VPI&SU is a perfect 5-0 against Tech on Thursday nights. The Good Guys are 3-2 against the Hokies on Saturdays (including last year's exciting win in Blacksburg when Butker hit at the time his biggest FG of his career to win it at the end). The Hokies won in OT 3 years ago in Blacksburg on Labor Day night.

This series has created a nice rivalry over the last decade. I think both schools have a mutual respect for one another on the gridiron. A lot of Hokies and Jackets engineers work side by side particularly in the mid-atlantic and Carolinas. It has been well documented that since the ACC moved to divisions, only once (Duke 2013) has the Coastal Division been represented in the ACCCG by someone other than having "Tech" in their name.

The Hokies of course have an outstanding D-Coord in Bud Foster. The chess match between CPJ and CBF is always interesting to follow. The Hokies return a lot of talent (as usual) on defense. I see their defense like I do CPJ's offense. It just reloads. It doesn't rebuild. The Hokies return Michael Brewer at QB. This game will be on ESPN Thursday night national TV - though it will compete for eyeballs with the NFL's Jets-Bills game by around 2nd quarter of the Tech game when the NFL game kicks off. If history is any indicator, this game could very well decide the Coastal title yet once again.

Here's some video from that 1990 game on Grant Field...

Here's last year's game in its entirety...

#19 Jackets upset #4 Hokies in Atlanta in 2009...

My favorite day in Blacksburg back in 2006 (though last year was a very very close 2nd)...

Last edited:
OK folks, tomorrow isn't really Thursday. It is Saturday. And this upcoming Saturday isn't really Saturday. It is Monday.

This upcoming Monday isn't really Monday. It is Wednesday. And, a week from today next Wednesday isn't really Wednesday. It is Friday.

Now, make sure you study this well. This WILL BE ON THE TEST, stech81! So, don't ask me. I'm going ahead and telling you.

I know. I know what you are thinking. First, the time change this past weekend. Now, all this confusion set upon by 2 days due to a Thursday game. But, we are Tech men and women. We have the brains. Well, some of us used to at least. We can do this.

For those of you who do this kind of thing, make sure you go to church on Friday this week. After all, it really is Sunday. You should be at work on Saturday since it is really Monday. Feel free to take tomorrow off though. Tell your boss I said so. Make sense?

OK folks, tomorrow isn't really Thursday. It is Saturday. And this upcoming Saturday isn't really Saturday. It is Monday.

This upcoming Monday isn't really Monday. It is Wednesday. And, a week from today next Wednesday isn't really Wednesday. It is Friday.

Now, make sure you study this well. This WILL BE ON THE TEST, stech81! So, don't ask me. I'm going ahead and telling you.

I know. I know what you are thinking. First, the time change this past weekend. Now, all this confusion set upon by 2 days due to a Thursday game. But, we are Tech men and women. We have the brains. Well, some of us used to at least. We can do this.

For those of you who do this kind of thing, make sure you go to church on Friday this week. After all, it really is Sunday. You should be at work on Saturday since it is really Monday. Feel free to take tomorrow off though. Tell your boss I said so. Make sense?
So do I need to go to work tomorrow ?

I have already answered your question in my previous communication, sir. Wait. You said "need". Ahhhh well hells bells, mate. You only "need" to drink beer. "Should" you go to work tomorrow? Hell no. It's Saturday. Take the day off and drink more beer. Wash your unlucky underwear. Spend time watching the Tech win at Hell from last year for the 622nd time. Enjoy the day off. You don't NEED to work on Saturday either, though it really is Monday. But, you'd better go into work just to give the appearance that you care. Make sure to spend some time laying a deuce while there so you can know you're getting paid to lay cable on company time.

I defer all future questions to my Public Relations Manager, Mark Richt.

Dear Abagail Van Buren;

Never thought I would write to you, but in a terrible quandary. My buddy Stech81 is confused and might be bringing kegs of beer to work tomorrow thinking it is a Saturday. Don't want him fired because he has been through heck this year with his football team. Didn't tell you yet, however we are Ga. Tech sideliners. Not to get sympathy, there are a few other followers of this cult nonetheless. Some are even graduates of this place called "the flats" and "the hill", they claim to be shafted.

Now to my problems. I don't know whether to go to the Basketball DH at this said place on Nov. 13? Is that now a Sunday or after we attend the Thursday Night game, does it switch back to Friday? Also, my new gal friend knows that I come from a bunch of drunk miners in Pa., Upstate N.Y. I have confessed to having an imaginary brother in prison named Queenie, and childhood friends who turned out to be gangbangers. We have some family history of retardation. Getting to my third question, Do I dare tell her about my sister wanting to attend the University of Ga. back in 1985? She was younger then, and as an older brother I feel guilty allowing her to make application. She didn't follow through, praise God.

Thank you for your anticipated responses, 622 times over.
Please label me as "the confused buzzy". BTW, Buzz the Mascot is for real-like Santa Claus!

Dear Abagail Van Buren;

Never thought I would write to you, but in a terrible quandary. My buddy Stech81 is confused and might be bringing kegs of beer to work tomorrow thinking it is a Saturday. Don't want him fired because he has been through heck this year with his football team. Didn't tell you yet, however we are Ga. Tech sideliners. Not to get sympathy, there are a few other followers of this cult nonetheless. Some are even graduates of this place called "the flats" and "the hill", they claim to be shafted.

Now to my problems. I don't know whether to go to the Basketball DH at this said place on Nov. 13? Is that now a Sunday or after we attend the Thursday Night game, does it switch back to Friday? Also, my new gal friend knows that I come from a bunch of drunk miners in Pa., Upstate N.Y. I have confessed to having an imaginary brother in prison named Queenie, and childhood friends who turned out to be gangbangers. We have some family history of retardation. Getting to my third question, Do I dare tell her about my sister wanting to attend the University of Ga. back in 1985? She was younger then, and as an older brother I feel guilty allowing her to make application. She didn't follow through, praise God.

Thank you for your anticipated responses, 622 times over.
Please label me as "the confused buzzy". BTW, Buzz the Mascot is for real-like Santa Claus!
I appreciate the help but I plan to Retire at the end of this year :) ( from work still and always be a Tech fan)

Speaking of retiring, I assume Tech will do the classy thing and do something nice to honor Frank Beamer in our next game. I know we are honoring the National Championship team that evening. Frank was in his 4th year as HC that season in 1990 when we eeked out a win over them on a cold day on Grant Field around this time of year.

I doubt Richt goes to Miami, his wife is an FSU graduate and he has stated a few times that he didn't want to go to a place that competes regularly with FSU. I guess his opinion could have changed since Bowden is gone.

But if uGA hires Jimbo, then he'll probably get a chance at FSU.

I won't be surprised if Georgia wins out, wins a MEG, finishes with 10 wins and Richt is still HC next year. In fact, I expect he will be the Cesspoolian HC next year regardless of what happens. Maybe, just maybe mind you, he gets the axe if they lose out and are blown out by Auburn and Tech in addition to an embarrassing home loss to Ga Southern. Odds of all that happening are extremely slim. They are 14 pt favorites against a pathetic Kentucky team this upcoming Saturday and I think they'll win with ease.

I think their savior QB out in Washington state will buy him some points too...regardless of what the media heads like Jeff Schultz are saying.

I won't be surprised if Georgia wins out, wins a MEG, finishes with 10 wins and Richt is still HC next year. In fact, I expect he will be the Cesspoolian HC next year regardless of what happens. Maybe, just maybe mind you, he gets the axe if they lose out and are blown out by Auburn and Tech in addition to an embarrassing home loss to Ga Southern. Odds of all that happening are extremely slim. They are 14 pt favorites against a pathetic Kentucky team this upcoming Saturday and I think they'll win with ease.

I think their savior QB out in Washington state will buy him some points too...regardless of what the media heads like Jeff Schultz are saying.
I also think Richt will be at uga next year regardless how their 4 4 games end. The only way he will not is if he doesn't want to coach. Which could be the case.

There's always the chance that Richt will be caught spray tanning young boys in the showers at the Cesspool's athletic dorms.

There's always the chance that Richt will be caught spray tanning young boys in the showers at the Cesspool's athletic dorms.
That's funny. I do know that after 15 years at one job you can get burned out. I know I did as a VP( only 12 years) I just got tired of answering questions from stockholders and the board. If someone messed up it was my responsibility to explain why.

So, what you are saying is you never got caught showering with stockholders or the board. "Caught" being the operative word of course.

So, what you are saying is you never got caught showering with stockholders or the board. "Caught" being the operative word of course.
I got drunk and showered with my clothes on , does that count?

I got drunk and showered with my clothes on , does that count?

I checked company policy, 30-24-OT-11-29-14, and it states specifically that showering with your clothes on is OK, getting drunk is OK, but showering with your clothes on while drunk is immediate grounds for a promotion and raise. Congratulations, mate! You just made 3rd shift Supervisor Assistant. Woohoo!

I agree, give reps to the young guys on the OL. We have recruited very well there the past three years, much better than a reading of the stars would indicate. To have any chance at running the table from here on out, we need better performance out of our front five. I say give the talented youngsters a chance to give the offense a much needed shot in the arm.

I agree, give reps to the young guys on the OL. We have recruited very well there the past three years, much better than a reading of the stars would indicate. To have any chance at running the table from here on out, we need better performance out of our front five. I say give the talented youngsters a chance to give the offense a much needed shot in the arm.
Yes play them , The new motto around here is ( Braves and Tech Football 2017 look out )

Today is Hump Day. Get past today and the weekend is on the horizon. Go Jackets!

Amen to that. What a coincidence that it was this time last year when we lost him for the awesome end of season ride. Let's hope this year he is a key leader in another nice November ride in his final days wearing W & G.

Good luck to Michael if so and thanks to him for giving his all to the program. We have a lot of young talent at the WR position. Jeune has best potential to be that next guy to get a view from the NFL, IMO. We have some other talented guys coming in with this upcoming signing class as well.

The rumors late last week were Antonio Messick. Probably because it was a WR. This does not surprise me. I figured it was one of these two.

Will graduate in May. Could play 1 year as an immediate grad transfer somewhere else if he chooses I believe. Good luck to him.

Jeune and Stewart will be the starters against the Buzzards.

Trey Klock is listed as the starting left tackle vs VT. Errin Joe listed as the starter over Devine at RG even though CPJ said Shamire is good to go. I'm guessing those two will be rotating which might work out well.

Full Depth Chart vs VT

Assuming Marcus Marshall gets the start at BB, we will be starting 6 freshman on offense against the fighting gobblers. Four of those freshman were playing high school ball this time last year.

Good. Would love to see something similar on the defensive side of the ball.

Backup QB Matthew Jordan may start getting more PT... http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/playing-time-could-be-coming-for-georgia-tech-qb-m/npKHH/

Johnson has said in recent days that it is time to start younger players and give them a chance to play.

GOOD! If seniors aren't going to get it done (e.g., continually missing tackles, whiffing on blocks, looking like they don't have a clue), then... PLAY...THE...YOUNG'UNS. Seems like I was yearning for this at least 5 weeks ago - though, I fully understand why CPJ and the other coaches did not at that point in the season. It was painfully obvious to me before the midway point to the season that this group of seniors either are looking to "get out" of Ma Tech or are still living in the past of 2014.

If you are going to meltdown, do it with the young'uns. I look forward to seeing what Klock, perhaps Jordan, and the other young'uns do.

Backup QB Matthew Jordan may start getting more PT... http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/playing-time-could-be-coming-for-georgia-tech-qb-m/npKHH/

Johnson has said in recent days that it is time to start younger players and give them a chance to play.

GOOD! If seniors aren't going to get it done (e.g., continually missing tackles, whiffing on blocks, looking like they don't have a clue), then... PLAY...THE...YOUNG'UNS. Seems like I was yearning for this at least 5 weeks ago - though, I fully understand why CPJ and the other coaches did not at that point in the season. It was painfully obvious to me before the midway point to the season that this group of seniors either are looking to "get out" of Ma Tech or are still living in the past of 2014.

If you are going to meltdown, do it with the young'uns. I look forward to seeing what Klock, perhaps Jordan, and the other young'uns do.
I agree play them

This is a list I compiled for another GT website, since it was asked for yesterday and was being ignored(now you have those loyalists picking it apart, claiming violation of team rules on half of these players):
Anthony Autry
Myles Autry
Michael Preddy
Nick Brigham
Travis Custis
Kevin Robbins
Thomas O'Reilly
Chaz Cheeks
Anthony Harrell
Dennis Andrews
Michael Summers
Beau Hankins
Darius Commissiong
Justin Akins
Travin Henry
Ty Griffin
Jimmie Kitchen
Donovan Wilson
Vad Lee
Chase Roberts(Medical)

My belief is that athletic eligibility was remaining with 95% of these young men. If team rules kick half of them off the team in less than two years, maybe the rules need to be reevaluated or in recruiting-the character needs to be examined closer?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT